Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help adding remote alert/arm/disarm to older HKC house alarm

• 04-10-2022 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi there,

Our house has an all-wired HKC alarm that was installed before we moved in. It has 40 sensors (contact/shock/PIR) in 12 zones driven by a SW8/12 board with 4-zone extender, plus the basic keypad. Photo of panel attached. Sadly I don't have the engineer code (have tried the default and all the obvious ones).

I need to get it serviced (some shock sensors are overly sensitive), and I also want to update it so that I can arm/disarm remotely, and get alerts to my phone when the alarm goes off.

From reading threads here I *think* these are my options but I'm not sure which are realistic based on the panel I have, would really appreciate if someone could help steer please:

1) Keep current panel, add GSM/LAN card and pay subscription for HKC app

2) Keep current panel and add a konnected add-on for arm/disarm. This would be great if possible, but not clear what the konnected add-on would be.

3) Upgrade to 1070 panel (plus maybe a new keypad) with GSM/LAN card and pay subscription for HKC app

4) Replace panel entirely with konnected Pro conversion kit

Would welcome all and any input, including other options to consider - thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭altor

The best option would be to upgrade to the latest panel, 10270.

This will give you more options re remote access.

I'm not sure if the expander in the back is using all the zones?

If not then the new panel has 10 zones.

There is a thread on the konnected panel here, I know nothing about it so they would be better to help you out with any questions you may have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware hkc app subscription price can vary. Lowest is 5/6 euro a month per household plus once off app download free. However if an installer helps you it can be priced at around 20 euro a month not including any annual maintenance or anything.

If you want a discount on house insurance it needs to be professionally installed although typically you have no contents cover except when it is armed.

If paying someone to come on site itight be worth splashing on newer model. Note gardai will not respond unless CCTV confirms issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭altor

Good few companies do this as they are there if any issues arise so its a payment with benefits.

The app is now free to download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

Could you link please to where you discovered that Gardai will not respond to Alarm Activations " unless CCTV confirms issue "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Is there anywhere that says the Gardaí will respond to alarm activations?

• Advertisement

The Gardai respond to what are known as verified alarm activations, if a system has been designed and conforms to the appropriate standards then Gardai will respond to the activation.

Other than technical stuff, that I know all about, should you have any further queries on Garda response criteria then I would encourage you to query them on same.

They have a document which they released some years back and it particularly addressed their alarm response criteria.

This document was released after quite a lot of consultation with us involved in the industry.

I guess I understand the Gardaí have a lot to deal with these days, so alarms going off would be relatively low on their list.

What qualifies as a verified alarm activation? Someone needs to be witnessed trying to gain access to a house on top of alarm going off? Is it just an alarm company ringing them and asking them to attend a house after a monitoring company registers a triggered alarm?

Gardai have always had a lot more to deal with than Intruder alarm activations.

When they released their criteria for their response to Intruder alarm systems, it meant a system had to have been designed and certified to EN 50131/2/3 etc, that the premises had a unique number as issued by Gardai and that the system was capable of transmitting a verified alarm signal.

That means 2 different detectors going into alarm condition during the same activation phase, so that could be for example, some toe rag after breaking a window and an inertia shock sensor detecting and the system activating from that, the system now transmits a " pre alarm condition "

So the toe rag reaches in now through the broken glass and now opens the window, this then is picked up by the Control Panel and it transmits a " Verified alarm condition "

As you can appreciate from the above, the chances of a crime taking place in the second example is a lot greater than the first ( whereby it could have been a ball hitting a window )

Personally I think Garda resources should be best dispatched in the Verified activation as there is a clear indication there electronically that a crime is actually taking place.

Other forms of verification are recognised, such as a monitored CCTV system whereby a monitoring company can actually see a break in occurring while checking the alarm activation.

However the mention above of having to have CCTV footage for Garda response is not factual

Of course under the constitution, should any of us have a need for Gardai, they will respond.

Under the constitution maybe, but we've seen from recent scandals that they don't always respond! I know from my own experience, when I've called them, they don't always respond, but most of the time they do, even if at a delayed response time.

How does the verified response work? Is it the monitoring centre picking up two activations, and then just phoning the local station to report?

Yes as you stated, there has certainly been issues with Gardai not responding to calls and of course I am sure a lot more serious than a verified alarm activation call.

Monitoring stations do not ring " local Garda stations ", there is a system in place whereby they call dedicated lines in Garda Communication centres, of which there are a handful in the Country.

The process is obviously a lot more professional than you think.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it is, which is why I'm asking about it. But I know that Gardai response times vary. I know they ignore certain serious crimes until they escalate. So I can easily see them ignoring a communication about someones alarm being triggered.

You seem to know more about the response of Gardai than what I do.

Anyway all I can say is, they have in black and white their response criteria with regard to alarm systems.

I have no experience of them not responding to same and in all logic, it is best in a court that the accused is caught " red handed " and that is something which electronic security systems can relay to Gardai.

Advertisement