Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive explosion at Applegreen in Creeslough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mod....

Stop the sniping and bitching and give the Late Late show a rest. There's a massive tragedy unfolding here in Donegal and some of you should show a bit of respect instead of behaving like spoiled children in a school playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dublenguy

Spot on. Horrible tragedy. Not my nature to post thoughts and prayers. I am sure those who do are genuine and feel the need to do that. No harm doing that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RTE headline is 'at least' three dead; i hope that's just journalistic convention rather than actual expectation; as in 'at least' could be taken to suggest more unconfirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ye be all please to know the Late Late went to the story in donegal and the latest update instead of there last guest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Very good advice about Plugging and unplugging items, but this also applies to, not just turning on light switches, but also turning them off, Which you may have already known, but missed in your post.

Breaking a circuit can cause more sparks than closing them, so very important not to turn anything On or Off.

If something is already on or plugged in, leave it as it is and level the house.

If you smell gas call: 1800 20 50 50 (https://www.gasnetworks.ie/corporate/contact-us/)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Totally correct, I'm going to edit my post now. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

This just seems to get worse.

Life is fragile, you never know what the hell can happen and there's no good way to quantify a situation like this and it's impossible to express sympathy sincerely here or to truly understand the loss the people connected to this are feeling.

All we can do is look on in horror.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

'Thoughts & prayers' is just an empty formula and meaningless in the context of strangers gushing sympathy with strangers online.

So ' I'm a most praiseworthy person - I really feel unaccountably affected by reports of a distant tragic event .

Admire my virtue , applaud my humanity '.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

There is more unconfirmed. There are still people missing, it was just after collection time from school. There are children missing, its very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

Jst heard from a friend that's a responder that's at Scene. That there is possibility of 10.people buried in rubble.

Mod/ Cut it out. Anyone can express their sympathy in whatever form they choose in this forum and we dont need you or anyone else criticizing them for doing so. Thats the end of the "thoughts and prayers" debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cars14

There is no piped gas supply in Cresslough so it couldn't have been a gas explosion.

I think it must be do with the pumping or storing or diesel, kerosene or petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Hug your loved ones a bit longer tonight, life is fragile and fleeting and tragedies like this really bring home those facts. My thoughts are with the loved ones of those who died, the families waiting on news, the people injured, and the emergency personnel trying their best in horrific circumstances. I’m only human and although I don’t know them, my heart breaks for them. Random tragedies like that, rare as they are, can happen to anyone. It’s the fragility of life that we all share, that makes us understand at some level the heartbreak those families are facing tonight. Rip the 3 people who have died, so very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RINO87

Absolutely....it's one of those things you think would never happen. How often do we pop to the shops without a seconds thought....

This is really hitting home. You just never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

No .oil is stored in a underground tank out side...a small amount of fuel inside would not create such an explosion.

Could there have been a leak in the oil tank at the petrol station? Could diesel, petrol, kerosene or other stored fuels at the petrol station go into a gaseous state and cause an explosion?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There could've been a gas tank, they're not that uncommon, particularly in a commercial place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

It'd be highly unlikely that the cause was the solar panels, they do not contain gas, etc, judging by the photos the solar panels are intact anyways, and whilst there is no piped gas connections in Cresslough, it could have possible that a LPG gas tank(s) are in use, although those reasons are neither here nor there....

My condolences to the families and friends to those who died, and I wish a speedy recovery to those injured, thoughts and prayers with all those concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Very highly unlikely - there are many safety protocols in place at petrol stations for obvious reasons but...

The batteries may be a consideration as some people have said they didn't see a fiery explosion

• I know a lot of people are genuine but sometimes you do see some sort of empathy competition on various social media platforms, was particularly evident after the tragic murder of a female school teacher earlier in the year, when some guys murdered didn’t attract anything of the same virtual candle display.

But I imagine sentiments expressed on media could bring comfort later for those bereaved when they might flick through responses online. However I know myself I would not be particularly impressed with the type of competitive display mentioned earlier, I’m a tad cynical.

I can only begin to imagine the horror experienced by those affected by the incident in Creeslough. 😕

No government body checks petrol stations for safety. Neither the Local Authority nor the Health and Safety Agency do. People assume someone checks the oil tanks and setup of petrol stations and fuel Depots but no State Organisation does. I live beside a large fuel depot and the Local Authority told they never checked it in 20 years as its not their job.

I have already called an end to this debate about expressing sympathy. There are other more appropriate forums where this can be discussed further but thats the final call on this.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• The solar panels caught my eye, but as I know almost nothing about how it could possibly relate to an explosion I had no idea how there might at all be a possible connection. But reading your comment on a battery being a possible factor, I realise this could be a possibility the investigators will explore. I’ve seen videos of batteries exploding and they are incredibly powerful and as you say, often non fiery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Do we even know if they even have a battery?

All I've seen mentioned in the media is possibly a gas explosion.

You would always have some batteries for solar panels to store for later use and there was a lot of them on the roof

The lack of anyone saying they saw a huge gas ball of fire is interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I dont think its fair to speculate on the cause. If this was a road traffic death, no speculation as to cause or blame would be allowed. Such talk about this incident is premature and may lead to the thread being locked.

Maybe not a bad idea at present given some of the posts. Three people are confirmed dead, with more missing, including kids. Kids who had just finished school for the week and should be looking forward to sleep overs, pizza night, staying up later than normal. and sports events tomorrow. To a small village, this is a massive tragedy that will touch many if not all residents in some way. In time the cause will be established. Now is not the time to speculate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement