Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polarisation of Irish Citizens Rights

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

You probably haven’t noticed the one million+ who have died in ‘humanitarian interventions’ since the beginning of this century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Putin apologism is going to get you nowhere.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Well there's this thing called a dictionary.....

I am of an age where I still make regular use of old-fashioned hard copy dictionaries. I have two in my possession: an old (about 30 years or so) Concise Oxford English Dictionary and an even older--actually pretty archaic--Chamber's English dictionary.

The former describes polarisation as "(figurative) divide into two groups of opposite extremes of opinion etc"

Whereas Chambers describes it as: "to give polarity to". Polarity in the same tome is described as: "State of having two opposite poles".

The distinguishing feature of a polarised entity, therefore, whether it is a physical object such as a magnet or a living organism such as a country or society is that it has TWO distinguishing features that repel and separate each other. Polarisation produces forces that permit no nuance, co-existence or compromise. One has to be one or the other.

In general Irish society is not polarised, with the exception of the North where there is traditional and very strong polarisaton between Catholic/Irish and Protestant/British communities. One particularly dim Secretary of State for Northern Ireland pronounced herself surprised to find out, once she had been in the job for some time, that every election in Northern Ireland was effectively two separate elections for the Nationalist and Unionist communities. In other words, there might be swings of support between parties WITHIN the polarised groups (Unionists shifting their support between say the UUP, DUP and TUV, or Nationalist support ebbing backwards and forwards between Sinn Fein and SDLP) but there was very little evidence of voters deserting say Sinn Fein and voting for the DUP. That just doesn't happen in a polarised society.

Britain and America are becoming increasingly polarised because their voting systems encourage it. You effectively have only one choice: Red or Blue in either case. And just to be confusing, red in the US approximates to bue in Britain and vice versa. Polarisation is bad. Compromise and co-existence is much better.

You are talking about something else when you mention polarisation with regard to Ukrainian refugees. It is inevitable that you will be misunderstood because you don't yourself understand the words you are using.

Sorry, but you've just tickled one of my bugbears. I hate to see journalists using words like "Colonisation" and "whiteness" (among others) as trigger words to describe things which are far better described with other more appropriate words. I'm trying not to be a grammar or semantic Nazi but I do think it is important for people to say what they mean in a way that other people will understand what they mean. Otherwise, why say it at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

A thread ranting about Ukrainian refugees fueled by posters who've already been banned from the Russian thread in CA for persistently posting pro-Kremlin garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

No one is posting pro kremlin anything. It is within our right to question the treatment of Irish citizens or do we suddenly live under a dictatorship regime?

• Advertisement

Appreciate your reply. I am very certain I am using the correct term. Believe it or not, I do know what a dictionary is. Furthermore, OSCOLA referencing also backs up my definition of the word Polarisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭rock22

How does OSCOLA referencing back up your definition of "Polarisation" ??

That's odd. I never realised Boards mods controlled Irish society? 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Sheesh, this is the exact definition I have worked into my topic header.

I still believe it stands in my title.

Polarisation of one set of people vs another set of people, ie segregation with regards to treatment. Not necessarily that segregation was the intention but is appearing to be the outcome.

• Advertisement

Not referring to mods in the slightest, rather other posters like yourself who default to the "ism" calling, when anything is questioned.

Rubbish. Either back that up with quotes or withdraw it.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

I see you changed your original post. You stated boards mods do not control Irish society. I made no reference to mods, my reference is in regard to posters like yourself trying to dismiss any discussion involving people with a different view on subjects than yourself. We are all free to have an opinion and voice it.

Citizens rights have been comprised without a doubt.

Post edited by CeCe12 on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ukrainians are refugees with agreed asylum plain and simple.

Those arriving seeking international protection have to prove their right to be considered for asylum. Of those who arrive here, many do not have travel documentation, and probably more serious documentation, like passports. Many are economic migrants and should be deported immediately. Those claiming they are not provided accommodation should be asked where they spent the previous seven nights. That might clarify their status regarding accommodation.

It would appear wrong to me that anyone can apply for asylum here no matter where they are from. It should be a requirement that they seek protection as close to home as possible. It should be then a question of international agreements to provide asylum, not the efforts of the migrant to get to the most favourable place.

I agree with you. However we have reached the point of being unable to adequately fill anyone's needs. Including homegrown and citizens of naturalisation.

In my opinion, we need to do a "Stock take" so to speak. To fulfill the needs of all who are already present in our Sovereign State.

I changed my post because I forgot, given the extremely low standard of this thread that it was actually in Politics and not in AH or CA

So, here you are questioning it, yet you are saying you can't.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Advertisement