Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive explosion at Applegreen in Creeslough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I posted this earlier. There has been enough speculation so we can call a halt to that part of the discussion. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Praying for those involved....I thought Eileen Magner looked deeply moved from the scene on RTE news ...and the reporter who was also there at 6PM....it looked to me they knew the scale of the tragedy but could not report on it as such .. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

I thought this too, sure you can still buy the bottles of calor gas for your stove. An unimaginable tragedy, there won't be a person in the parish unaffected by this. For those who were saying about the helicopter I would imagine the vast majority would be getting transferred to Beaumont there'd be a lot of head injuries in a building collapse. Beaumont is in a very residential area so maybe the coast guard helicopter is just too big to land there. Either way I don't know how letterkenny hospital coped last night, it struggles on a good day. If the reports on rte were right there were at least 30 people in the shop when it happened. There's not 30 cubicles in letterkenny a and e. My heart is sore for the people of creeslough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

When looking at the area, it looks like the main small supermarket/shop of the village. What a shocking thing to happen. The shop assistants would be well known to all, the locals in the shop probably happy it’s Friday arriving in after school collection or early work finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

7 confirmed dead and more expected. absolutely tragic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Death toll now stands at 7. RIP. Still people missing/unaccounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sadly the fatalities has risen to 7.

Latest news on the local radio station indicates that there are still people missing / trapped inside.

It's going to be a while yet before the whole extent of this disaster is known.

Massive respect for the emergency services and public volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

….

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Horrific stuff, no words really.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

Only 8 brought to lk hospital and rte said last night there was about 30 people in the shop. Its only going to get worse. Horrific

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Christ. Not what I was hoping to wake up to.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

30 in the shop, christ that's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Coast guard landing has very strict criteria including a safe zone - Dara Fitzpatrick called me once to explain why they could not land at my hospital.

Air corps have less strict rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Your talking rubbish. I know you can't open a petrol station without the approval of the local authority fire services. So one assumes it's inspected yearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

You assume wrong, unless a complaint is made, no checks. 20 years experience in a small South Dublin fuel station.

Talking about petrol station checking should be left till a definite cause has been confirmed.

Even at this it's not going to change a thing for the families who have lost.

I think we should park all theories and causes till a much later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

On RTE it's being reported that the Gardai have stated this now a search and recovery operation. Which is the operational change when it's not believed that there is a likelihood of saving lives.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Panrich

This really hits home. People going about their business on a Friday evening caught up in an unimaginable tragedy.

I can only imagine the heartache and anguish of relatives and friends waiting for news of their loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

5:30 was the first time I had heard 3 dead. Several hours before confirmation. Apparently a local County Concillor was telling all and sundry.

Was hoping it was just a bad rumour.

I see it's gotten to 7 fatalities now. Just a horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

It seemed like a big block of apartments for a small tourist town. Hopefully most of them are holiday lets n empty this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just breaking here that somebody I know had 3 children in the shop, coming from school. They are alive but injured and lost a friend and her father.

Absolutely shocking how an ordinary day can turn to this in a heartbeat.

There have been posts ranging from helicopter pads to filling station inspections to politicians jumping on the band wagon. All of those are not relevant to this thread. So far I have merely removed a few posts and issued several on-thread warnings but that will change to formal warnings and / or bans if some posters can't show respect for those affected by this tragedy. Please think before you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

On the news it said that the explosion was in a apartment next to the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Give it a rest! Take your speculation elsewhere for now.

I'm shattered by this news and feel so sorry for the families. There are no words that can express how big a disaster this is for a small rural community.

The day and time it happened could not of been worse. Unfortunately imo there wouldn't of been a worse time for this disaster to happen. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Report now (on RTE) 2 more dead located, bringing death toll to 9.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement