Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

We now need stabilty vs Leinster but not being overhyped by some

Farrell is better than Raltson (give the latter n°23 only if we don't do the 6-2 split) for now, give him back the 13 spot vs ex-team

BACK YOUR 10, even if he had a nightmare. Same 10/12 and Daly mantained as covering 22

Maybe Blade will bring sharpness in rucks.

Same from Prendergast, straight in at 6, Shamus back to 7, unchanged 2nd and backrow -including 19/20/23 otherwise (light Oliver purely rested)

Dooley has an Irish selection point to make with Ed Byrne, let's start him, Buckley on the bench, unchanged otherwise

Fitz 15 was experimental, Porch was back to his best. He should play 15 along with Hansen and 1 of Wootton/Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

We should definitely had a penalty alright but I just don't think it's an effective tactic for us, don't think I can ever remember us scoring from one.

In other news: there are few things as glorious as munster fans on social media. Their entitlement is quite incredible. Granted social media isn't a good indicator of a wider group it is still enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The Connacht maul had been going well. So it did surprise me they did not go for the corner. Mind you with POM up against you, that’s always a risky choice.

Future has been prepared under A.Friend, even if we're not perfect now, we have good prospects

Main team is slowly ageing but we've a crop of hugely talented players to step up and why not have next RWC on sight

on the basis of inner ressources -all IQ-, you may predictict for 2026-27 season

(I know it won't be as obvious but gives an idea of how we'll be on long-term)

15) Chay Mullins (24)

14) Josh O'Connor (25)

11) Mack Hansen (28)

12) Shayne Bolton (26) if shaking up injuries or Cathal Forde (26)

13) Shane Jenning or Byron Ralston (26)

10) Harry West (23) or David Hawkshaw (27)

9) Matthew Devine (24)

8) Paul Boyle (29)

7) Shamus Hurley -will be IQ for RWC- (26) or Oisin McCormack (25)

6) Prendergast (27)

4/5) Murray brothers (25-26) + Joe Joyce (33)

3) Illo (25)

2) Tierney-Martin (26)

1) TBD, new emerging -maybe still Dooley- (32)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Munster fans are self-radicalising doomists at this point, and the shrill vehemence is very off-putting. Connacht fans are not happy at the moment either, but I would hope that such an atmosphere doesn't emerge on this forum (helps that we don't have such notions as some of our red-shirted peers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Saw a tweet saying that Beirne should be moved away from Munster for his own career, obviously Ulster would be an ideal move for him with their style of play and competing at the top of the table.

Question I have is, could Connacht be considered a step up for him? Style of play would be more in line with his and feel his skills could elevate Connachts game a huge amount by himself. Thornbury Beirne second row could be up their with the best in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Happyhouse22

I’m confused the Shamus Langton part... how old is he now? Wikipedia says 22. When will he become Irish qualified? Will it not be sometime in 2027?

Prendergast won’t start against Leinster, would say the bench at most. DTM likely there too.

Josh murphy will most likely come in at 6

Watched the match back there. Not going to go in on Carty as it was his first game back from injury but feel if he had his kicking boots on early doors could have been a big score. Munster were dreadful and the Two places kicks and kick to touch in the first half let them back in. Was a kick that went dead early in the second half too.

Beirne had a huge turnover after a nice break from porch/Hansen/fitz that should have ended with a score too. He’s head and shoulders above the rest of the Munster team mates.

Big performance from the pack was happy with them. Back line looked better two, Fitz largely had a good match from 15, one knock on. Huge 50:22 for Finlay’s try, left boot option was great from 15. Hawkshaw looked good at 12, tan done very hard lines.

From the pack though Finlay, Thornbury and Dowling were the most impressive. SHL has a strong first start. Finlay showed incredible drove for his try. Think it was one of heff’s best games in a long time, don’t think he missed a line out.

Penalty against Jack just before half time to put Munster ahead clocked a bit harsh, Jack was slow getting up but don’t think he was interfering with a clean out. Few dodgy calls from busby.

Feel like there wasn’t a drop off when the subs came on which was great to see. Boyle of the bench has a great impact. Great defence around the 60 minute mark not to give away penalties.

Things not perfect in attack, hopefully the win will boost confidence and things start to stick a bit more. Feel that there was a bonus point lost that could prove costly later in the year.

Being honest getting a losing bonus point next week would be a good result, but anything can happen in an inter-pro. I’d look to stay largely the same team wise. Bring in Dooley and Murphy to start for Buckley and oliver, with SHL at 7. Would bring Pendergast, blade and DTM onto the bench if they’re available.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Watching the Leinster game now......be afraid, be very afraid 😨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

The old man was in early to the game and watched him miss 4 practice kicks in a row. Obviously was in his head during the game.

Right time to play RWC 2027. August of this year

Has no 7's/U20 past to prevent that.

Of course a long time to go and he may be a "Heenan", good but injured... Wait and see..

I wonder if -pure theory for now- he can be included in Emerging Ireland tours before to prepare a potential RWC a few months before?

Unofficial team after all...

He gets in his own head. Always needs to land the first one. Thought he was pretty good in open play and Connachts attack looked far more threatening with him there

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Hawkshaw at 12 was good, think there may be potential in a 10/12 duet.

Between hawkshaw and forde id Be concerned if I was Daly. Two good options coming through

Bundee will retire in 2023 and Daly is closing 30's. No surplus there, depends on Bolton steping up too though

I was really pleasantly surprised by how physical Hawkshaw carried last night. He's far from a big guy for a 12, but had some really big direct carries where he made big yards.

Yeah noticed that in Castres too, he does not fear big defenders contact at all ball in hands!

Arguably most impressive part of Connacht's performance last night was the line out, especially considering the quality of some of the Munster players defensively from touch. Heffernan had a really solid and accurate game, and Thornbury and Dowling were both superb.

Anybody hear anything about Quinn Roux coming back to Ireland next year? Surely couldn’t have roux and Joyce coming to Connacht next year?

• Advertisement

Flashes of good old Connacht (1st try for example) but still erratic and handling not what it used to be yeah.

Connacht have focused on defence (slightly improved), scrum (improved) and lineout (massively improved).

They forgot about rucks, Marmion/Reilly had to jump in it so often because there were not protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well he only has a 1 year deal in Bath.

He also has another year of eligibility for Irish tax relief on retirement for sports person so it probably makes financial sense for him to come back if there is an Irish offer that is competitive.

Joyce for Fifita'a, we'd have to release Dowling which is harsh..

OR definitely assign Murphy as 6, release Booth and have room for Roux!

Very interesting but :

Booth and Dowling have 10 years in front of them, Roux has 1 last (33)

And Murphy would have less gametime stuck behind Prandergast. Though the latter is less and less available because of Ireland.

So I can see it happening.Whether Roux nowadays is still worthing it is another question...

Interesting on the tax relief, I know he had kept the house in Galway as he aimed to return here at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's just something that stuck in my head when he left. He only did 9 years in Ireland.

Actually just checked he did 9 seasons but 10 years. That said I really doubt he paid much if any tax in the year from October 2012 to December 2012 to benefit from tax relief for that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Interestingly he hit the same post he hit first 2/3 times before the match, from roughly the same position. I joked to the bro he'd hit it again (not actually thinking it) and he did! It was my fault lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I had a notion that he was conscious he's on course to become Connacht's all-time leading points scorer and it got in his head a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I heard him promise he's going to keep hitting the post until people stop putting a "h" in his name. :L

Tbh it’s much more impressive hitting the posts, should be double points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Spotted Shane Delahunt in the training photos. Big boost, thought he was out for a good while longer.

Advertisement