Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,095 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is always cause for laughing at the DUP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I can see how the appearance of the EU conceding ground forms, and if someone isn't paying significant attention its not an unreasonable conclusion to draw. In reality the EU were always expecting implementation to require adjustments and are sincere in their desire for an arrangement that actually works. Whatever relaxations etc that have been introduced are because the EU is working in good faith to make the deal work. They can't control that the other side wouldn't know good faith if it slapped them upside the face, but I think they are right to still act responsibly for the people of NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is always cause for laughing at the DUP.

Edit: snap!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yes, you're correct, my error. Both of them are being hand dragged by the UK though

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

I think you're being unfair about the UK's attitude to the protocol,your own former Taoiseach is saying the EU is being over zealous which isn't conducive to a harmonious arrangement and empowers those hoping to disrupt UK/Irish cooperation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

The uks attitude to the protocol from day 1 was to ignore it, fail to implement it and use it if required to stoke up tension when politically neccessary!

I dont think anyone is being over zealpus over their desctiption of the attitude and behaviour of the uk government to the NIP!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Johnson told NI business to bin the NIP paperwork.

That is not conducive to implementing his 'oven ready' turkey of an agreement - even one that is an international agreement. Every action by the UK Gov re:NIP is to obstruct, ignore, and try to defeat it.

Every move by the EU was claimed a victory and a sign the EU would fold, with no equivalent move from themselves. Great negotiation position.

Strange that many on here want to point out how bad the UK attitude is yet no one wants to comment on a prominent Irish politician saying the EU approach might be too hardline.

I suppose it doesn't fit into the EU good/UK bad mantra prevalent here.Dont get me wrong, I agree brexit is a sh*tshow but don't swallow all brussels propaganda hook line and sinker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Whereas if he'd said the opposite, you'd be pushing the usual Telegraph narrative. You don't care about his credentials at all. It's the sort of incredibly disingenuous guff that we've been seeing from perfidious albion for some time now. This is why you're getting short shrift.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I cannot understand the mindset that can go on about stuff going back to 1690 and beyond and then expect the Tories to let them get away with taking out Teresa May, a Troy Prime Minister.

And that other unforgivable sin, despite the billions to NI they didn't stay bought.

• Advertisement

Your dismissive reply is surprisingly poor for you. I've always thought Varadkar has generally conducted himself well apart from his smirking over tusks unhelpful comments a few years back.Ignoring his comments is hardly giving me short shift.Your perfidious albion comment is strange considering I was referring to remarks made by Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

1. There is a qualitative difference between saying (e.g.) "you know what, our democracy could be improved upon" and "we want to tear down democracy and replace it with a totalitarian dictatorship".

There is also a qualitative difference between saying "we can afford to relax some parts of the protocol" and "we will unilaterally tear it down unless it is fundamentally changed in our favour ".

2. The Brits negotiated & agreed the original protocol. The protocol imposed lots of obligations on them. They were the only ones who could know what, how and whether they could actually comply - and they swore blind "trust us, we know what we are doing, we will definitely be able to do this - just give us these other concessions".

In relation to implementation, the Brits aren't even doing the most elementary parts of the protocol - such as sharing information or attempting to purchase locations for border inspection facilities. I.e. this is not merely "trying but in good faith failing" on the part of the Brits- this is calculated reneging on freely entered into obligations which the UK never intended to fulfill.

Can you dig out the interview with Varadkar where he said that the EU is being "over-zealous" and "too hardline"?

My understanding of his recent claim was that it included the word "perhaps" which doesn't give the whole statement the backing you've taken from it.

Here's both links.No mention of "perhaps "One is a European site and the other Irish. I hope the UK reciprocates as I believe the protocol(if tweaked and applied realistically)will keep NI in the Union.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ni-protocol-varadkar-5886968-Oct2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Reading your first link it quotes him saying the following where I highlighted your inability to see what exactly he said...

“I would concede that perhaps the protocol, as it was originally designed, was a little too strict,” he said in comments designed to be welcomed in London if not unionist quarters of Belfast, where the Democratic Unionists — who hold their party conference this weekend — have been blocking the formation of Northern Ireland’s next cross-community government in protest against the protocol.

Should I read your journal.ie article or do you now agree that your recent point is not correct at all?

Still, two high profile Irish politicians voicing concerns about how the protocol is being applied is surprising to say the least.Should shut the " everything all the Brits fault"brigade up for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They're trying to be diplomatic. The NI protocol was tweaked since it was originally designed so it's no criticism of how it is currently implemented

What two Irish politicians have voiced concerns about how the protocol is being applied?

Or are you referring to their concerns about how the UK aren't living up to their side of the agreement?

You've tried to mislead us here already so after years of lies from those anti-EU/pro-Brexit/pro-Irexit types you'll forgive my suspicions. However, Varadkar saying "perhaps blah blah" is not voicing a concern so I'm curious to see who the two politicians are and what exactly they said.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Have the UK started inspections of UK imports from the EU yet?

If they have not (which I suspect is the case), perhaps they could start doing that before they dismantle the NIP before they have implemented it. How could a protocol not implemented have the devastating effects on the NI economy if it has never been implemented?

• Advertisement

You can twist all you like. They both said it and no amount of gaslighting will change that Seth. 😀

What did I twist? You made a claim which I have proven (using your own source) to be wrong.

You are now claiming that two other senior Irish politicians have made similar allegations about the NIP. Who are they and what did they say?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

More "They need us more than we need them"

The UK is planning to tear up the GDPR. Or rather removing protections that UK citizens had. EU citizens and the companies trading with the EU will still have GDPR. And like the the tax cuts this supposed to attract foreign investment to the UK, this time for data centres.

as one comment puts it "In other words, they're only cutting the red tape in order to splice it with some white and blue tape and make it ever longer."

The context is Biden's Privacy Shield 2.0 order may not satisfy Europe so the UK will be swimming against the tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Stephen Collins of the Irish Times has written a new book with information on the actual EU position on the border as I stated over and over again as the usual suspects denied the gravity of the situation.

As for British duplicity which continues unabated and sadly it seems Irish politicians have fallen for it with their ludicrous outpouring of graciousness at the "apologies" this week, be careful.

The Brits know full well Ireland's situation and how vulnerable we are to single market expulsion. So of course they are very sorry but still continue as normal.

I'd take all of this with a ton of salt and consider the motives closely.

The UK built a rover recover samples on Mars but it's job will be taken by a foreign helicopter.

It's a joint NASA - ESA project. Before Brexit and the whole NI thing the UK would have had a better chance of it being used somewhere anyway. But bridge burning doesn't win friends.

Airbus who manufacture the rover is a European company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

May I remind you that "Ireland is the EU", but it is very far from "all of the EU".

We - the EU - will not give any 'sweets' away before the UK is committed to pay in full - in money and in contributions to the common good of all the EU.

The UK and its politicians should start with being factual, behaving like adults, and be 100% trustworthy e.g. pacta sunt servanda.

Stop thinking what the UK wants and consider what the much larger and much more powerful EU demands of England - for now and for a longer term expanded relation.

Lars 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Think he's right about Irish politicans, though I wouldn't say its "naivety" as such. Maybe panglossian is a better word? They cannot accept that the era of excellent relations with the British government + working hand in hand with them on NI etc. is in the past for now.

They grew up politically in the very stable, secure friendly era, where only extremist Republican nutters (from their pov) automatically suspected the motives of the UK govt (as regards Ireland) and disliked it. The mental adjustment needed for the new and evolving situation between Ireland-UK is large, so they will grasp in hope at stuff like Steve Baker or other Brexit ideologues saying some nice things about Ireland + offering sorry not sorry apologies that cost them nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Is that article saying anything that anybody didn't know?

Checks / controls were required, we knew that. That would have to be

1: done by the UK.

2: If not 1 then they'd have to be done by Ireland.

3: If not 1 & 2 then they'd have to be done at ports receiving goods from Ireland.

This is a surprise? The negotiators achieved 1. I don't blame our politicians not mentioning 2. They'd be crucified by some sections of the media and political parties down here.

As for our politicians falling for the UKs "graciousness". It's called being political. Most countries will be polite and civil to their counterparts when you're trying to achieve an outcome. WTF would you want them to do? Say we don't believe you and we don't trust you? Let them think we believe them, although I'd give them more credit than that, and that it's in good faith. Great if it is but nobody thinks the ERG or the UK government are on the Irish side.

Only one country has tried being pigheaded and playing to their local populace over the last few years. How did that work out for the UK? Would you want our politicians to be like that?

Advertisement