Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still use a HDD in your main computer?

Options
  • 13-11-2020 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭

Hi. I still use an old Seagate HDD on my old Desktop PC as it just keeps on working. How about ye? Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

What drive do you use on your main PC? 83 votes

HDD
    37% 31 votes
    SSD
    44% 37 votes
    Other - please comment
    18% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi. I still use an old Seagate HDD on my old Desktop PC as it just keeps on working. How about ye? Cheers.

I use both, SSD for OS/Data etc, and HDD for large/long term storage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

1 SSD and 2HDDs currently :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭Worztron

I use both, SSD for OS/Data etc, and HDD for large/long term storage.

Hi GK. That's why I enabled multi choice voting. ;-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I have an NVMe SSD 512GB as my boot drive, and only Windows on it.
    Then a couple of SATA SSDs, 1TB each, for games.
    And one 2TB HDD for movies and photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

2x SATA SSDs and a 1TB HDD. The HDD is only for storage, all programs and games are on the SSDs.

• Advertisement

I'd expected the SSDs to be far ahead. It's fairly level so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi GK. That's why I enabled multi choice voting. ;-)

Opps, did not notice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The cloud and two 1TB Samsung 970 NVMe evo plus

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd expected the SSDs to be far ahead. It's fairly level so far.

People clicking both flatten your poll. You should have had a both option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

13 year old laptop which had a 320gb HDD. I took it out & replaced it with a 512gb SSD a couple of years ago. Also use cloud storage. Have not owned a desktop pc for about 20 years.

Hi markest. Is it 64-bit? No doubt, it must have nearly felt like a new laptop with the swapping of a SSD for the HDD? I have a Desktop PC and Laptop. I use PC over 99% of the time. I still much prefer Desktop computers - much more comfortable for longer use times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭victor8600

2 year old gaming PC, with a ~600GB SSD and a 2TB HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Use both, though I have more HDD than SSD, many not connected and only use for backup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

2 SSDs for software, 1 HDD for photos, movies, documents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

It's 32 bit & only has 3gb of RAM. Also, a decrepit processor :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I still have two from old laptops. The laptops died long ago so I stripped them for parts. The disks are now in cases and connect via the USB port. Works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't forget cloud storage is also likely to be HDDs.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You'll find plenty of cases and cables available from the Chinese vendors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,362 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

9 year old desktop, until about a year ago running with two 1TB HDs. Stuck in a 256GB SSD and rebuilt the OS and the boot time went from about 5mins to 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Laptop in a docking station/port replicator is pretty much the same experience as a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I have a 3tb HDD I use for movies and a pile of SSDs ive collected over the years. The difference SSDs makes in terms of read write is amazing, could never go back to HDD for games and day to day file management.

I held out until Dec last year before finally moving to an SSD. I concur, I too wouldn't go back to a HDD to install my OS on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I bought a Samsung 840 EVO almost 9 years ago and haven't looked back. Upgraded to 1TB Samsung 870 Plus NVMe 3 years ago. Finally removed the last of the HDDs from my system a month ago. Have a 20TB NAS for videos among other things and a 12TB WD Elements for backups. In my desktop, I currently have:

• 1 TB Samsung 970 Plus EVO NVMe (Primary Drive - OS, software dev and largest/most modern games)
    • 2 TB Sabrant Rocket Q NVMe (Older Applications/Games)
    • 1 TB Samsung 840 Evo SATA SSD (Files)
    • 2 TB Corsair MX500 SSD (Files)

Looking to build a new PC in the coming months and will add a 2TB PCIe Gen 4 to use as the primary drive, expanding the overall storage to 8TB. Probably the Samsung 980 Pro (will depend on price at the time).

I can't understand how people are still using HDDs for their OS. I had an ancient (12-year-old) desktop in my parents' place. Running Windows 10, it wasn't just the ridiculous slow boot times, it took forever to do anything, even opening Chrome etc. Threw in a cheap Corsair BX500 480GB (bought for €45 on Amazon) at Easter and it's like a totally different machine now.

I know this thread started 2 years ago, but would be interested to see how many people are still on HDD for OS & large applications and their reasons for not upgrading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,362 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Advertisement