Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't believe in Putin bots. Wums perhaps (with easy targets) but people are way too arrogant if they think Irish Boards is important enough for Russia to infiltrate with propaganda. It's a ludicrous assumption. Maybe I don't fully understand what a Putin bot is...this thread has become somewhat of a groupthink thread which is a shame. It was very educational at the beginning of the war, now it's mainly silly speculation and fear.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

For anyone interested, or indeed paranoid, about Russia and it’s nukes, this video is quite informative

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

Gallipoli was a military disaster. Chruchill was blamed for it but it was the people around him that pushed him into it.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭briany

There have definitely been a few direct Putin supporters who I've seen on the thread. one world order springs to mind, although they were a loon to begin with.

For a laugh, have a read of this - https://www.boards.ie/search?domain=discussions&query=threadbanned&page=2&scope=site&source=community&startDate=2022-02-24&endDate=2022-06-01&name=russia&discussionID=2058195983

It's a search I did from this thread which has all of the times the threadbanned people got threadbanned. Some didn't get threadbanned for one post in particular. More just an ongoing litany of disingenuous words. Some did have a much more revealing final post before the hammer went.

That was just - mwah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If they detonate a nuke on a test range it can also show weakness, in so far as he's not willing to nuke Ukraine etc...

It's gone from nuking the west if they help Ukraine, to nuking Ukraine if they attack Russian soil, to let's nuke Russia to show we still have nukes. So far it's been climbdown after climbdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Don't underestimate the significance of the bridge attack.

Imposing a "stop & go" on the road section is a very good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

I wonder what's going on? A few Twitter posts on this. Not clear what side is arresting what side.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Huge significance as the Russians claimed it was impossible to attack, the amount of defense they have on that bridge is extraordinary.

So far, the Russian nuclear doctrine is holding. Don't use one unless the heartland comes under attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems the new tactic is no Twitter posts no live map posts or anything else.....

Yet the loudest complainers have posted nothing of any value over 7 + months ,

Seeing the bridge burning must have some shedding tears 😭 this morning

• Advertisement

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I have a feeling that Putin thinks the generals have done him dirty with the Kerch Bridge, that it was them who dropped it as a way to unseat him from power.

Which is quite possible because I dont see how Ukraine managed to floata boat full of ANFO or whatever under the damn thing, be impressive if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

But is the broken section fixed? It wasn't completely destroyed. And if they can hit it once, they can do that again. When they sunk the warship 'Moskva', did the russkies send another warship there?

That would be classic Putin paranoia. I think that if generals wanted to unseat Putin, the factors would already be in place. The exposure of his army as a paper tiger (relatively speaking) and increasing isolation from the rest of the world ought to be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As I said a few pages back, Ukraine definitely would have needed external help, especially to time it exactly as the train was going by.

It wouldn't be the worst idea for Ukraine to outright deny it was them and to create paranoia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No, but I wouldn't underestimate the ability to repair a bridge if they really want to. I am reminded as to how long it took to repair the Oakland Maze bridge after the fire and collapse (One bridge fell onto another bridge). Initial estimates using normal processes were a month just to clean up the mess, and more months to fix it. By saying "Sod the money, get it fixed now" because of how critical it was to get the bridges running again, the job was completed in less than a month.

I can think of two obvious ones and one less obvious one.

1) Soviet Union, 1940. The Soviets got their asses kicked by Finland in the Winter War. They eventually made it, but it was a wake-up call to the Red Army. They immediately started reforms. By the time the Germans had attacked in 1941, the reforms were well under way, but not yet truly effective. However, the Germans had been lured into thinking the Russians were easy pickings by how badly they had performed the year prior. It wasn't just German error which led to their defeat at Moscow, the Soviets did good too. Reforms continued for the next couple of years, and by the end of the war the Soviets were as competent and dangerous as any military on the planet. This is the example which worries me, as the longer this Ukraine thing goes on, the longer the Russians have to stop being idiots and start properly addressing their failings. I will say that they have been adapting on the tactical level, they aren't all unmotivated idiots at the front line. When this happens at the national level, the Ukrainians will be in trouble a few months after that.

2) US Army, 1940. Starting with an army smaller than that of Romania, with generally poor equipment, not having conducted a major exercise in nearly two decades, and decidedly questionable reserves, within two years was conducting offensive expeditionary warfare on two continents. Even the famous defeat at Kasserine late 1942 demonstrated capability, as the Germans were also defeated in their operation. The US didn't look back after that. How the US managed that is a case study in national mobilisation and military reconfiguration/retraining which I doubt will ever be equalled.

3) US Army, 1980. Coming out of the Vietnam war, the US Army was of low morale and relatively unprofessional and ill-disciplined. Dangerous, yes, but not what you would expect of a superpower. A determined effort to 'professionalize' the Army as it returned to an all-volunteer force combined with an equipment rejuvenation resulted in the most overwhelming army on the planet as demonstrated ten years later.

The Ukrainian turnaround since 2014 has certainly been impressive, but don't overstate it. They are not to the standards of a modern NATO force and it's something of an exponential scale. Going from 'incompetent' to 'adequate' is much easier than going from 'adequate' to 'good', and going from 'good' to 'excellent' is extremely different. I feel like the European observers did in the American civil war, from their perspective they were watching amateurs fight incompetents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I haven't seen anyone support him either now that you say it.

I'm a concerned observer, like I don't like the idea of Zelensky suggesting a pre emptive strike before Putin. I don't like Putin suggesting nukes...call a spade a spade.

Some posters in this thread remind me of Celtic supporter's giving out about a referee's rightful decision to red card a Celtic player for fouling, but being delighted when one of their player's fouls and gets away with it.

Or like someone giving it to a Christian about violence in the new testament, then the loving Christian trying to explain that the suggestion of killing slave's and making them submit to their masters and turn the other cheek was misinterpreted.

Turn a blind eye to injustice or absolute insanity.

Just because Putin hasn't made unpopular decisions, doesn't mean that Zelensky hasn't learned to keep stump either.

Suggesting that NATO preemptively fire off a rocket into Russia for him, is just madness.

Mind you, a lot of fear is circulating in the Ukraine which is justifiable. But giving doomsday suggestions to NATO could back fire. NATO could say, hold on a minute we're helping you out here. Don't push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Haven't seen this anywhere else so I'm unsure of the source.

If its true there's a lot going on I. The kremlin today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This guy and commenters underneath rightly pointing out that reopening the bridge to traffic a few hours after a quite massive explosion and without doing a detailed structural assessment by engineers for its safety is utterly nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,439 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's on a few reddit threads but at present, caution advised.

All Eyes On Rafah

@Manic Moran

1) Soviet Union, 1940. The Soviets got their asses kicked by Finland in the Winter War. They eventually made it, but it was a wake-up call to the Red Army. They immediately started reforms. By the time the Germans had attacked in 1941, the reforms were well under way, but not yet truly effective. However, the Germans had been lured into thinking the Russians were easy pickings by how badly they had performed the year prior. It wasn't just German error which led to their defeat at Moscow, the Soviets did good too. Reforms continued for the next couple of years, and by the end of the war the Soviets were as competent and dangerous as any military on the planet. This is the example which worries me, as the longer this Ukraine thing goes on, the longer the Russians have to stop being idiots and start properly addressing their failings. I will say that they have been adapting on the tactical level, they aren't all unmotivated idiots at the front line. When this happens at the national level, the Ukrainians will be in trouble a few months after that.

One thing is that in WW2, the Russians were fighting for the very existence of their state if not their people. That's going to give a hell of a lot of motivation to really fight. Can the same be said today?

The other thing is that the Ukrainian army continues to get NATO-level training and support. Russia may adapt, but Ukraine can adapt also.

Soviet military reforms were no doubt helped by the total war footing that Nazi invasion forced the USSR into, putting a huge amount of its industry into that effort. It's hard to see the Russians of today putting that kind of effort into conquering Ukraine. They need the right tools of war to effectively wage war.

Up until such time as Russia agree to withdraw from Ukraine, I think we're going to hear various iterations of, "Ah, but they haven't really got going yet."

Could have something to do with sabotage - see my previous post ^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Undamaged lane(s). They mean the bit on the right that's not sagging as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭rogber

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Re: the bridge part.

I have this feeling that its a bit trickier to fix the bridge in the middle of the sea, compared to the road with easier logistics, 24/7 non-stop shift work, etc.

Not sure the russkies can just "sod the money and fix it now"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Soviets were not fighting for their existence at the time that they started their 'lessons learned' reforms after Finland, and whether or not troops will fight on the ground is a different matter from the organizational and institutional changes which are within Moscow's control. Had those latter changes not been implemented, I doubt the motivation of the fighting soldier alone would have been enough in 1941. The French were fairly motivated in 1940, after all.

“Or like someone giving it to a Christian about violence in the new testament, then the loving Christian trying to explain that the suggestion of killing slave's and making them submit to their masters and turn the other cheek was misinterpreted.”

Happy to discuss this rant in an appropriate forum. Send me a PM if you set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,098 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It shouldn't be left to chance. Now that it's badly damaged, weakened and empty of traffic, the Ukrainians should inflict as much damage on the Bridges as possible, across the whole structure. Both the road and rail spans needs to be written off entirely until peacetime and future political conditions allow for a rebuild, if that is something Ukraine see as desirable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Looks like it could be the same as the Chinese coup last month.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement