Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Filled Radiator. What's the most efficient setting ?

Options
  • 08-10-2022 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

Most oil filled radiators have setting for 500w, 1000w, 1500 watt (as an example). My logic says that the efficiency or cost effectiveness is the same on each power, due to the thermostat, but is that correct ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

All settings are equally efficient (almost 100% efficiency).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

However despite the fact that electric heaters are highly efficient they are very expensive to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yes it's an interesting decision which setting to leave on. At higher wattages it heats up quicker & should trip the thermostat, but I wonder if a lower setting might save a little power. I guess I mean efficient as in using the least power to keep a room at the same temperature.

If you turn down the stat it will generate less heat, consume less power, therefore costs less to run. However the efficiency remains unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So, in reality, the power settings are an irrelevance ?

• Advertisement

No. If you want to reduce the heat output then turn down the power setting.

Efficiency is a ratio of input versus output expressed as a percentage. Just because something is highly efficient doesn’t mean that it is cheap to run, it means the losses are low

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Practically 100% of electrical energy in is converted to heat, so efficiency can't me improved as such.

A higher power setting means the radiator, thus the room, will heat up more quickly.

However, due to the high heat capacity of the oil and thermal mass of the rad itself, on a high power setting it is likely to cause a temperature overshoot as it will continue feeding heat to the room once its thermostat has cut out at the set temperature.

It might possibly be more efficient to use a lower power setting to avoid overheating, depending on starting temperature, duration heating is required for and size of room.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The power settings only controls the speed at which the heater can deliver heat.

Think of a kettle. A 500W and a 2kW both boil water. But the 2kW will do it in a quarter of the time. (Assume no heat loss)

Now if you have a drafty room, your low wattage heater can't deliver heat fast enough to heat the room, so you need a higher wattage to deliver heat faster and keep the temperature up.

To answer your question of what's the most 'efficient" the answer is to lower the temp by 2 degrees and put a jumper on.

To answer your question of what's the most 'efficient" the answer is to lower the temp by 2 degrees and put a jumper on

This result in a lower cost but it will not change the efficiency of the electric heater as the losses remain constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware electricity is very expensive to heat a room say compared to oil or gas. However if you only have one zone to heat house then it may make sense if you only want to heat one room. If you have central heating and turn off every other radiator in house then heating using central heating may make more financial sense.

Even an electric heat pump can be 4 times more efficient than an electric heater. For example a heat pump clothes dryer.

To answer your question the energy going in to the heater all comes out so 100% efficient even if source of energy is 4 or 8 times more expensive than other options.

Ideally the thermostat should be on far side of room to measure heat properly. Typically it will be slower to heat up on lower settings so at the start you will be in a cold room longer. Typically I would wear vest, shirt, heavy jumper, then put mobile heater next to me with doors closed then try turn it off when the room is no longer cold. Even heavy woolly socks can make a massive difference along with drinking tea etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That was a bit tongue-in-cheek. If you measure efficiency by saving money and keeping warm, then my advice is sound😋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

you need a heat pump to get better than 1kw of electricity = 1Kw of heat

some will give you 1Kw of electricity = 3Kw or better of heat

Advertisement