Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

22.9mm of rain overnight here in meath, it was torrential around 4am, we've had 37.3mm so far this month already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Serious amount of rain fell last night and this morning. Dreadful. Co. Leitrim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is turning into a very wet Autumn. September was a washout and this October looks to be no different. The next 2 weeks is looking very unsettled with plenty of rainfall and fairly chilly as well. Very different to last Autumn. We are now paying for the dry Spring and Summer. I feel we have definitely broken the weather pattern of the past 12+ months since the opening days of September with a considerably more unsettled and relatively cooler pattern change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The pattern had to change at some point, perhaps perfect timing for those who want a seasonal autumn/ winter period. Though I hope it gets a bit dryer. Half a foot of rain here in Ashbourne since the start of September .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Left my runners outside last night and totally forgot to bring them in. They were in some state this morning after the very heavy rain 😆

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

No sign of dry weather at any stage on the horizon. The next 10 days looks wet to say the least, especially western and northern areas with another 100mm of rain possible over the next week.

A cold snap around the 16th to 20th of October also seems likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It has been notably wet and the grass is well recovered in the south of Laois now. Long gone are the brown-orange wisps of grass, even when one looks into undergrowth. The plants have loved this turn for the wetter conditions - though summer bedding is really suffering now and almost time to put it out of it's misery. The gentle feed following the first week of September is really wasted - they never got another run of growth apart from the Bussie Lizzies.

October already nudging 26mm adding to the 142mm of September - the measuring tumbler has been busy the last month now.

Also of note is the quick ingress of concrete greening as the damper conditions coupled with lowering sunshine angles gives it ideal growing conditions in the shade. As soon as the leaves are all down the power washer will be promptly put into action.

Some of the earlier to colour trees like beech and maples are showing nice changeovers this week, I hope there isn't much wind to rip these down before they mature to golden browns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely day today in Kerry, a spot of fishing on the coast and getting the grass cut now before tomorrow's rain, ground getting that bit softer now and growth is slowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful Autumn day. I cannot get over the seemingly never ending crop of big juicy blackberries. We picked 4kg yesterday and it was only one field.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

A peach of a day today, absolutely beautif7l autumnal sunshine.

So nice to have it on weekend aswell when most people can enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wildly wuthering wakeful hours.

There will it seems be no early meander by the icean today.

And a deep chill invades.

Memories of yesterday are cherished.

West Mayo offshore

We did well last Saturday/Sunday and of course yesterday. Today is a different story tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's like living in a different country today!

Credit were credit is due, the local Met Eireann app was spot on for today.

We got out and about this morning which was great although it was very blustery and just got back home when rain started as predicted.

Time to start the indoor decorations for Hallowen, the outdoor ones will have to wait for another day.

Farming commentary update

-This week. Drier week for most. Rainfall Casement 45% of average. Wetter than average closer to the Atlantic. Rainfall Malin head 305% of average.

-Previous week. Rainfall 70% of average in the southeast of the country to 190% of average in the northwest.

-This week. Sunshine expected to be below normal.

-Previous week. 5hrs total sunshine at Malin head. 30 hours in cork. Sunshine was below average in the north and above average in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Disgusting day in Cork, the absolute worst kind of weather, wet, grey, and muggy. Crap.

Same today in Meath, today is a write-off. Managed to get a small walk this morning before the rain hit, the rain is clearing up now but it is very windy and damp outside so a day to spend indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cooler drier conditions have moved into the west here in Castlebar. Ground dry again. Nice evening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The same here in Kerry, cloud breaking and sunshine getting through, good breeze and cool at 11.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Awful wet day in Galway but the blue skies are out for the last hour.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Full Moon on the rise about 7pm for anyone with clear skies

• Advertisement

A snugged-in day yesterday. A day to light the fire and enjoy being indoors. Adaptability is everything. And a lot of indoor work done, so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

It rained from early morning to about 5pm yesterday. The ground was utterly sodden before the rain. No chance of any cuts on the lawn.

Leitrim

Deeply silent is the night. So you feel as if you need to hold your breath... Yesterday was lovely to be outdoors .... A chill in the night air. And not a stir of wind... holding its breath,,

West Mayi in the wee small hours.

Big contrast in sunshine totals over the previous 7 days.

Malin head 2 hours

Dublin airport 25 hours

The night is peacening after a wild, wailing, buffeting - and wakeful - while! Still no real chill.

Peacefully awake now, snug after the nocturnal tumult.

West Mayo offshore

A wet morning here in Meath. Unfortunately i'm not going to be able to post much over the next few weeks other than basic text based posts. My primary hard drive with Windows 10 install has after dying and i've to send the nvme drive back to the UK for hopefully a free replacement and will have to reinstall everything again from scratch. I don't like using a phone to do the posts I normally do in the FI threads but hopefully I'll have everything back up and running by the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Are NVME drives a wee bit susceptible to issues?

Meanwhile back at the ranch - a cool evening after a bright afternoon. Currently 8c.

Would love a good spell of weather with calm frosty nights and brilliant blue sky days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

I’d happily save the calm frosty nights and blue sky days for December onwards. As if that will happen though!

• Advertisement

Cooler feel to the air tonight. At 11pm Castlederg is the coolest at 3.5c. I would second the frosty nights and sunny days that or some storms.

Advertisement