Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSE looking for hub sites across Ireland and uk

• 04-10-2022 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭

I assume they are looking for site owners/ landlords and developers to contact them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wish I knew who owned Airside retail park in Swords, because you could throw a dozen chargers in there and make the restaurant owners across the road wet themselves in excitement

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

Airside is a traffic jam on weekends. Only last weekend the queue reached nearly the M1. It's also difficult to access from the motorway M1 south, compared to say motorway services. There is a Nissan charger there at Nissan dealer and a CCS at nearby Vw dealer. Neither are really available to public. There is massive demand from taxis in airport area and M1. Somewhere with no regular jams next to motorway would be ideal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I wonder would the Supermacs take these up instead of the small deployments he's getting from eCars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Every hotel in the country with a decent car park should be contacting SSE in relation to this. Install a mix of 150, 50 and 11KW units.

Great opportunity for restaurants, golf clubs and cinemas to partner with someone for 22KW chargers (if that's part of the plan).

I doubt local authorities will be interested but would provide an option to have at least one car park in every town get at least two 50KW units installed.

I think we might start to see a ramping up of installs in the next 12 months with Tesla, Ionity, Applegreen, EasyGo and SSE. Obviously eCars will be left behind at the rate they're going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

This is brilliant news. It's slowly dawning on business owners that EV drivers will have to charge their vehicles away from home sometimes, so if you can install convenient chargers and provide decent services (food, toilets etc), you can have a nice little earner in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Local Authorities are probably the most likely to engage, based on a quick read, they're looking for space and SSE will do everything else. This is very similar to what the LA's were looking for as part of the Dublin regional strategy. The councils had the land but didn't want to become a service provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭cannco253

“SSE's Energy Solutions business has opened its first ultra-rapid EV charging hub as part of a major new initiative to deliver 300 hubs across the UK and Ireland in the next five years.

Located on Glasgow’s Castlebank Street, the six-bay EV charging hub is powered by traceable, renewable energy.”

5 years is a long time…

Not sure hotels would be a good use of 150kW units, but definitely more AC chargers would be good, and maybe a 50kW for anyone just stopping in for lunch

I think supermarkets should be jumping on this, typical stop time would be around 45-60 mins. Perfect environment for some 150kW chargers with maybe some load sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Then once we find out who owns it we should all give them a collective slap for designing one of the worst carpark layouts in the history of retail parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Every Supercharger I used driving through France a few weeks ago was located in a hotel. And we already have 3 hotel located SuC sites in Ireland now….. (and to be honest, the prospect of stopping off in Johnstown House is a lot more appealing now than stopping in the likes of Castlebellingham or Birdhill…. (And I never thought I’d hear myself advocating for charging away from motorway services, but they are mostly sh1tholes these days))

• Advertisement

Hmm, yeah fair point, the service stations could really do with a bit of TLC and a major upgrade to their facilities

It would be nice if they built a paid lounge area like an airport, it would give people waiting a bit longer a nicer space. And it would net a bit more money for the service stations so they can keep the facilities nice

Might be a good idea for a subscription plan for the likes of Applegreen. Pay a monthly fee and you get free charging plus a free lounge pass per month

Yeah it's certainly a fine example of packing them in like sardines

Would a few pedestrian crossings reall cost them that much 😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not after their customers are all clamped. The car park is for the retail park not the businesses across the road from it, they have their own parking.

Advertisement