Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

TIGER & BUNNY Season 2 (2022) (Japanese) In a vibrant metropolis protected by a band of superheroes called NEXT, veteran Wild Tiger is forced to team up with rookie Barnaby Brooks Jr.

Bad Guys Season 1 (2022) (Thai) A detective returns from suspension and pulls together an unorthodox special investigation team in order to capture a serial killer.

Glow Up Season 3 (2021) In this competition show, aspiring makeup artists navigate colorful challenges to win a career-making opportunity in the beauty industry.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Couldn't even finish the first episode of 'Midnight Club'.. awful muck!

That Irish actress is desperate!

Mike Flanagan's movies are always solid yet only "Hill House" has impressed me series-wise on Netflix.

Edit: Actually didn't finish "Midnight Mass".. was that worthwhile? Bly Manor was poor!

Wednesday Addams | Official Trailer 

Earthstorm | Official Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dahmer tv show and documentary were excellent.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Travel Man: 48 Hours in... Season 4 (2018) Join comedian Richard Ayoade as he explores tourist destinations around the world, accompanied by a different celebrity friend in each city.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

In fairness I think the midnight club is aimed at a different audience than his other stuff (younger based on the book). The Irish actress was a bit jarring to me at first but in fairness she is a complete newbie to acting, did a decent job in episode 2 (she has a lot to do in it). It probably doesn't help that the character is initially anyway absolutely bloody hateful.

Midnight mass is amazing imo improved as it went along....better than Hill House. Bly Manor was a miss alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

4 episodes into the midnight club and it’s way too childish for my liking. It’s basically that kids show Goosebumps. The Irish character is very annoying. Nothing scary in it, I picked the wrong thing to watch in lead up to Halloween. Dunno if I can stick this one out. I must watch midnight mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

Midnight Mass is excellent - I might even rewatch it at this stage

Someone Borrowed (2022) (Brazilian) To fulfill his mother's dying wish and avoid being removed from her will, an inflexible bachelor hires an actress to play his fiancée

Iliza Shlesinger: Hot Forever (2022) With topics ranging from tight rompers to ugly bras to why every man needs a box spring, Iliza remains the hilarious, affecting voice of her generation

Island of the Sea Wolves (2022) 3 Episodes Explore wild, wondrous Vancouver Island, where the ocean nurtures all life, from bald eagles who go fishing to sea wolves who swim in frigid waters.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Nutty Boy season 1 (2022) (Brazilian) Nutty Boy is an out-of-the-box kid with big ideas who loves involving everyone in his adventures -- even though they don't usually go as planned!.

Belascoarán, PI (2022) 3 Episodes (Spanish) Héctor Belascoarán leaves his corporate job and dull marriage to become an independent detective and tackle shocking criminal cases in 1970s Mexico City

Easy-Bake Battle: The Home Cooking Competition season 1 (2022) Talented home cooks put their skills and creativity to the test making fast and easy dishes that are wildly delicious -- and worthy of a big cash prize

Wild Croc Territory season 1 (2022) Matt Wright and his fearless team of crocodile wranglers catch and relocate some of the world's most ferocious reptiles in Australia's wild Outback.

Blackout (2022) After waking up in a Mexican hospital with no memory, a man finds himself a cartel target and must fight to uncover the truth -- fast

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sounds like it'll just be for British viewers? Still, good to hear they're opening things up, I guess the reputation was taking a hit between the bad press over sub numbers & their continued hiding of their stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

UK & Ireland Netflix is probably an easy one for them to start with.

It might also be the one to give them there best numbers per head of subscribers

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I have to say I'm loving the Midnight Club. At first I thought it was pure cheese and definitely some of the acting is shaky but it's a wild ride and the amount of roles each individual plays shows some real acting talent. It's an homage to so many horror genres which were in themselves cheesy. And the music is great. Definitely for a youth audience but it's absolutely nuts and I am really enjoying the creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mun1

3 episodes in and Midnight mass is the best thing I’ve seen on Netflix in a while . The soundtrack is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Midnight Mass is one of the best things on Netflix imo. A show that gets better and better as it goes along. A great study on the nature of faith and how it can be twisted to suit the narrative we choose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Midnight Mass was one of the finest shows made over the last 5 years. I totally get why those looking for spooky scares hated the thing, especially the long dialogue scenes but my god, they were fabulous. Once I twigged this was what the show was doing, I was locked in.

And Bev Keane must rate as one of TVs finest villains, really proving that humanity can be more monstrous than the actual monsters.

It's a tie with Haunting of Hill House cos both were A Tier pieces of character drama, wrapped in the trappings of horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Hill house completely fell apart in the last episode for me that kind of ruined the show. I'm pretty sure that I read afterwards that the original ending for it was going to be far bleaker which would have got in far better with the tone of the whole series. Up until the last episode it was a fantastic series.

The Watcher: Season 1 (2022) Bobby Cannavale and Naomi Watts star in this eerie ensemble drama based on a true story from Ryan Murphy and Ian Brennan. After the Brannock family moves into what was supposed to be their suburban dream home, it quickly becomes a living hell. Ominous letters from someone calling themself “The Watcher” are just the beginning as the neighborhood’s sinister secrets come spilling out.

Sue Perkins: Perfectly Legal (2022) 3 Episodes Sue Perkins confronts middle age head-on by experiencing various Latin American countries in adventurous, shockingly legal and sometimes dangerous ways.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) (French) Marianne is hired to secretly paint a portrait of a noblewoman's soon-to-wed daughter, who refuses to pose but soon reciprocates the artist's gaze.

The Playlist (2022) Limited Series (Swedish) In this fictionalised account, a Swedish tech entrepreneur and his partners set out to revolutionize the music industry with a legal streaming platform.

Dead End: Paranormal Park Season 2 (2022) Two teens and a talking pug team up to battle demons at a haunted theme park -- and maybe even save the world from a supernatural apocalypse

Added

• Advertisement

Netflix ad-supported tier launching next month: $7 per month, 720p streaming

Netflix has officially announced its new ad-supported tier, which will launch on November 3. In the United States, this new “Basic with Ads” plan will cost $6.99 per month. You’ll see around four to five minutes of ads per hour and video quality will be limited to 720p…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Watch on 1 device at a time, 720p quality, no offline downloading, ad-supported, not all content available

Ok.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The ads will be interesting because generally speaking TV shows are written around whether they have ad breaks or not, with the action building to a sort of mini cliffhanger before each break. That's probably not going to happen with Netflix's shows, so they'll probably end up throwing them in willy nilly, killing momentum or mid scene or something.

I wonder what TV and films won't be available given "licensing restrictions", that's an interesting wrinkle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That "willy nilly" ad break scenario seemed to be the one RTE follows, or at least they did when I last watched shows on it about 20 years ago. Often breaking at odd points. It's very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I assumed the ads would be before each episode/film but I see it says every hour. Maybe it'll still wait until someone starts a new episode after the hour is up, rather than interrupting. Or maybe if you pause it after the hour, it'll then treat it like an ad break, since you chose to interrupt it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,592 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Their TV shows are still written in 3 or 4 act structures, so they'll just use the act breaks to pop the ads in (or have them before - but i'd expect at least one break in the middle).

Good option for them to put out, but I can't see myself ever going for it. I have the cheap version of Hulu with ads, and it actually stops me watching much tv on it - thankfully movies only have ads at the start, and it's worth the cost for the movies alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just for anyone who hasn’t seen it, Portrait of a Lady on Fire - from the great Celine Sciamma - makes a very valid claim to being one of the very best films made in the last ten years.

The Curse of Bridge Hollow (2022) A Halloween-hating dad reluctantly teams up with his teenage daughter when an evil spirit wreaks havoc by making their town's decorations come to life.

Holy Family season 1(2022) (Spanish) A family hiding a shocking secret starts over in Madrid, where new relationships complicate their plans and the past begins to catch up with them.

Take 1 (2022) (Korean) Renowned musicians pull out all the stops to give a song of their choice the greatest live performance they can muster -- and all in a single take..

Everything Calls for Salvation season 1 (2022) (Italian) When he wakes up involuntarily committed to a mental hospital, Daniele has to learn again how to live -- and love -- with the help of his fellow patients

Black Butterflies season 1 (2022) (French) Low on inspiration for his second book, a gloomy novelist agrees to write a memoir for a dying man -- and swiftly becomes part of his bloodstained past.

Added

• Advertisement

La corsa de l'Ora (2017) (Italian) This documentary traces the history of a Palermo newspaper that fearlessly pursued stories about the Sicilian mafia between the years 1954 and 1975.

King and the Crook (2015) This documentary explores the unlikely wartime friendship between gangster Johannes "The Yellow Cheese" Andersen and Haakon VII, the King of Norway..

Nancy Corrigan (2015) Explore the life and times of Nancy Corrigan, the trailblazing aviator who became one of the earliest female commercial pilots in the United States..

Hogwood: A Modern Horror Story (2020) Exposing the jarring conditions inside one of Britain's largest pig farms, an activist group calls on the power players in animal agriculture for change..

Heroes of the Empire (2018) Follow an organization of Star Wars fans as they dress up as stormtroopers to bring cheer to film premieres, children's hospitals and more..

Mad Dogs (2002) In a future London plagued by "Mad Dog Disease" a newly released mental patient begins to believe that the outbreak is a sign of something sinister.

Gogglesprogs season 2 (2017) Kids can be the cutest critics! In this "Gogglebox" junior edition, children share their candid takes on the most memorable TV moments

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

Advertisement