Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I placed an order 9 days ago, and they proposed tomorrow Monday as the delivery. One small items was delivered during the week and then I get a mail today saying that they are coming before 9pm (they give themselves a generous time window!). This didn't suit.

The email said

If you would like to tell us a safe location to leave your package, please update delivery instructions by visiting our Track your package page.

So off I go to Track you Package page and I could see no sign of any way to amend delivery instructions. I went into the App and I could see no way to amend delivery instructions. So after several minutes trying to do this I clicked on the Cancel delivery link which was actually there.

Is there actually a way of doing this? Is this a case of bad interface design or am I thick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Bad design interface.

The instructions to do so are here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GXACUMY87XBGQ8FZ

However, it seems very difficult to do once the order is placed - while on browser (not on App), I managed to get to safe place list a couple of months ago but the 6 or 7 options are not entirely suitable (kinda Americanised) and there's no option to type in a free format instruction.

I had this issue at the weekend - there was nobody home on Saturday and three packages were due to be delivered on that day. Two small (would go through letterbox) and one large fragile one. So I got onto Amazon Chat and asked them to get a message to the Amazon Prime Delivery Driver. The message was short and simple (or so I thought)

"If there is nobody home and package does not fit through letter box, then please leave behind the green bin."

The Amazon staff member assured me that they had sent this message to the delivery driver and all would be ok.

I got home yesterday to find all three packages on my doorstep. There for over 24 hours. Two of them could have fitted through the letterbox so obviously the driver rang the bell and just left them there. The message must never had gotten through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Found this thread after Googling the Amazon “we are unable” message.

I closed my Amazon business account - didn’t know I had one! - and was able to order a book without having to logout/in.

I bought a book only three weeks ago, so why I got this message this evening is a mystery to me.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Could anyone help with the following tracking message from Amazon. Initiated customs clearance in Swords 7 days ago, but hasn't moved since.

Thanks

Delivery By Amazon

Sunday, 25 September

7:56 PM

Initiated customs clearance process

Dublin, Swords 

6:52 AM

Initiated customs clearance process

Irlam, Manchester 

Carrier picked up the package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

It's probably lost. The customs clearance status does not indicate the actual location of the package so it may not even be in Ireland. I would contact Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dirtymortaines

It's strange, I've never had any problems with delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So, I just needed some AAA rechargeable batteries and to my surprise Amazon offered me "Prime One-Day" if I order in the next hour to my address in Cork.

Wow, forecasted delivery is tomorrow by 0900 PM.

When did they start that?

Edit: Snooping around it seams that this is the case for most of their own branded goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Very fast.

I ordered the Associates' Sulk box set last Thursday 11.30pm and it arrived Friday lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Couple of points from recent orders (not yet arrived)....

Where is Hub 1 - Bham, IE ? As in Parcel arrived at a carrier facility Hub 1 - Bham, IE . Assume the IE is Ireland?

Carrier is DPD so is all stuff from Amazons warehouse Irish going outside the Dublin delivery area being delivered by DPD? - Annoying if thats the case because out in the country An Post is better than any courier.

This could be a retrograde step for Amazon deliveries from its Irish fulfillment center. Ordered Tuesday and delivery date given as Friday, thats a day slower than stuff coming from the UK.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

OK forget that. Ive just discovered another delivery coming with DPD is showing as

Parcel arrived at a carrier facility

Hub 5 - Hinckley, IE

When I google that Hub 5 - Hinckley, IE is Hinckley, Leicestershire - https://www.winvic.co.uk/case-studies/dpd-hub-5-hinckley-park/

So the IE doesn't mean the actual Hub is in Ireland :-(

I've noticed a few comments recently that customer service isn't as helpful as they could be. I'd tend to agree as I've had cause to get onto them a few times recently.

I was on to them last night about an expensive power tool (~€200) that wasn't working as it should that I wanted to return. I'd had it four months and should have returned it straight away as it had a small issue from the get go. Anyway after no more than 2 hours use the fault worsened making the tool almost impossible to use. Got on to the manufactures and they wanted me to contact one of their Irish repair agents. That wasn't going to happen as when I have contacted them in the past they have told me they won't service stuff bought on Amazon. Last time I had an issue with the same manufacturers gear I had to use a repair agent in the North and it took 4 months to resolve.

So on to Amazon, it took over half an hour of chat and three agents to get a replacement sent out, I was really ready to throw my toys out of the pram several times but persisted. Firstly was told to go through the manufactures process but after explaining in great detail that wasn't going to work and providing some proof of contacting the manufacturer I got a replacement sent out. Item weighs nearly 4kg so would prefer Amazon to pay for that (not a deal breaker as a new replacement after 4 months was a good result). Cheapest with An Post would be about €30 and I didn't even have a box to send it back in. Anyway the deal we came to was I could send it back in the box the replacement comes in.

Now because I couldn't go through the normal website returns process (after 4 months) I asked the rep where to return the item. At that point I was told he'd send me an email to print out a prepaid label and to drop it into An Post.

I do however expect to end up paying for the replacement if I don't bother to send the old one back.

Great service above and beyond but I had to work to get it, but for nearly €200 it was worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭briany

What's all the stuff that Amazon has in its new Irish distribution centre? Anything food or drink related still seems to be totally unavailable to an Irish address and the last couple of bits I got still came from the UK directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

I'd say it's carefully curated, to reflect their records on what the most popular purchases are here. I doubt they're equipped to handle foodstuffs yet, and they're a big no no from amazon UK since brexit. Food coukd be done though, There's a company ferrying awful looking TV dinners around to your door,except Connaught. Heavily advertised on said TV, targeting pesioners. That stuff all originates in the UK.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have been having an interesting expierience with Amazon lately. I also discovered a pretty alarming fact. Amazon will only guarantee an item for 6 months after which for warranty you are on your own to sort out and deal with the manufacturer. The item concerned was a £300 phone, so not a small amount.

I had a phone fail on me purchased from Amazon (and fullfilled by amazon, not a 3rd party seller) in 11 months, less than a year old and they did not want to know. They just told me to contact the manufacturer. This goes against both Irish and importantly EU laws (item was sold by Amazon EU) where the seller is responsible for putting things right. It was quite inconvenient but fortunately the manufactuerer Xioami has a repair centre in Ireland which handles repairs (my phone was replaced with a new one, cannot fault that really, but they did make a mess of the return and give the wrong phone first which was frustrating).

I was very concerned, however that Amazon, as the seller did not want to know about or support me with what was clearly a faulty device (a common issue where fingerprint scanner stops working due to incorrect ribbon cable instalation in factory).

Even more concerning is trying to get a definative answer with regards to Amazon's warranty is actually incredibly difficult (and don't trust the "chat" agents, who are basically useless and apparently have lied to me at least twice now). I bought a airfryer from Amazon on the basis their chat person confirmed Amazon will handle communications with the manufacturer should the device fail within 2 years and also handle the logistics. I was then told by a senior support person (I believe) the agent was wrong and Amazon will not help after 6 months. I now have a 5.5Kg device that if fails I wil have to ship this off to Britain myself at cost and deal directly with the manufacturer.

I did contact the ECC in Dublin about this as I don't think it is right Amazon can just wipe their hands and throw along the "not our problem" line. But I won't be buying anything major from Amazon in the future if I can avoid it. I also think it needs to be highlighted to people Amazon only support a product for 6 months, regardless of value. It is something I think the media should pick up, as I've told many people and this suprised them as most expect that within the first year the seller will assist for issues that happen not due to user carelessness or damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A couple of things to note. Amazon UK aren't governed by EU rules afaik. Regardless your contract is with them so they, as the retailer, are liable for defects/faults for 12 months.

Have you contacted CCPC? What did the people in ECC say?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I did contact CCPC, who told me to contact the ECC as CCPC only advise for issues surrounding purchases made in Ireland. ECC have not yet responded to me. I am in email contact (or rather was, he's stopped responding) with an amazon customer support representative who has told me Amazon follow EU law, then he said they follow UK law so it seems Amazon themselves haven't a clue. As a so called "Executive Customer Relations" I haven't been too impressed with his knowledge or lack thereof, and they persistantly quote their own "Terms and Conditions" as if this were to absolve them of all responsibility! Let alone the blatent misinformation provided by their chat representatives which I have yet to be apologised to for.

The invoice for the item is stamped: Sold by Amazon EU S.à r.l. and also with an Irish VAT number: IE9990705T so I think at the very least EU laws should apply in this instance. Would inclsion of Irish VAT number mean they would need to follow Irish consumer laws? I'm not too sure.

I also am of the view this is a retailer/Amazon issue so this is why I am pushing it as a company particularly Amazon should not get away with absolving themselves of their responsiblities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

I've had three orders that have been marked Prime One-Day delivery, and they have all arrived the next day but have been a mix of An Post and Amazon Logistics. Outside of a wristwatch, the last time An Post delivered an Amazon order to me was October 2019 before Amazon opened up the Last Mile Centre in Greenogue. Have also noted that the Amazon Logistics Tracking Number now starts with IE and 10 numbers, as opposed to GA and 10 numbers like before.

smile.amazon.co.uk/Paddington-St-Pauls-childrens-perfect/dp/0008272050

smile.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-Cable-compatible-FullHD-Ethernet-black

And Amazons own AA and AAA Batteries.

I can't remember with the batteries, but the labelling on the packs show that the Book and the HDMI Cable came from Dunfirmline/EDI4 but routed through Dublin/SNN4.

Times, roughly. Ordered 1530 on last Saturday, Dispatch email 0430 Sunday,

6:40 AM - Package arrived at the final delivery station - Dublin, IE

11:12 AM- Out for delivery - Dublin, IE

12:39 PM - Delivered- [Area], IE

~~~~~~~~~

Ordered at 10pm yesterday, Dispatch email at 0430ish again.

7:38 AM - Package arrived at the final delivery station - Dublin, IE

11:11 AM - Out for delivery - Dublin, IE

5:22 PM - Delivered - Templeogue, IE

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shifo

Some weeks ago, I ordered a back rest from Amazon Prime. Arrived last Saturday in a huge box. Yesterday another 1 arrived, which I did not order. Virtually impossible for me get it back to them via Post Office as box is huge and I’m 79 years old. Anyone any suggestions. Would be very grateful if you have any?

Post edited by Spear on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Contact Amazon on their chat service (available under Customer Service and then Contact us section of their website - at very bottom of pages) and see what they recommend - they may be able to arrange a courier collection (or cover the reasonable cost of one) or, depending on the value of the item they may just tell you to keep it. If no other options exist you could take it to the post office in a taxi (if Amazon agree to cover the costs of that).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Tried to return a clothing item, the website says there is free return with a postage paid label but when you delve into the terms and conditions there is a section on international sales. which lets them off the hook for the return postage costs.

Is this against any distance selling regulations, but probably doe not apply since brexit.

Just be careful with clothing items the returns arent straight forward and you could get caught for the return shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sindee123

OK folks I'll try and keep this as short as I can (nothing is simple with amazon!)

After weeks of research online. Applying for an account.verification and learning to set up.. I came across a massive hurdle

I HAVE to send our stock all over the UK if I want to sell to all of ireland ! This is because they are still a UK site. Unfortunately no courier will take our packages to UK as they are deemed too large.

I thought this was a crazy setback and very disappointing.

Amazon are expanding in ireland. Their vans are everywhere ( I myself am an addicted personal buyer via amazon prime) but I'm shocked to learn that many Irish sellers will not be able to sell on this platform. Which they confirmed with me via email..

Please tell me they are wrong lol and there is a way arpund this because I find this scenario a bit crazy TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sindee123

OK folks I'll try and keep this as short as I can (nothing is simple with amazon!)

After weeks of research online. Applying for an account.verification and learning to set up.. I came across a massive hurdle

I HAVE to send our stock all over the UK if I want to sell to all of ireland ! This is because they are still a UK site. Unfortunately no courier will take our packages to UK as they are deemed too large.

I thought this was a crazy setback and very disappointing.

Amazon are expanding in ireland. Their vans are everywhere ( I myself am an addicted personal buyer via amazon prime) but I'm shocked to learn that many Irish sellers will not be able to sell on this platform. Which they confirmed with me via email..

Please tell me they are wrong lol and there is a way arpund this because I find this scenario a bit crazy TBH

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

We're not creating a new forum for the sake of this. Moving to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 awethentique

I am a new traveller here on holiday here in Ireland, and ordered a product off the Amazon.co.uk website.

This was my experience:

The product was meant to have been delivered to me on Friday 14th Oct to Wicklow at the AirBNB I was staying at. On Sunday the 16th I had to checkout and move to a new AirBNB in Dublin. Thus I did not get my parcel. I did order something 5 days before and it was delivered to the same address by the same carrier within 2 days with no issue.

AnPost website Tracking says:

17 October 2022 07:41

Your post has been sent to the wrong delivery office. We will still get it to you. It is now in BELTURBET, CO CAVAN

14 October 2022 09:13

Your post has been sent to the wrong delivery office. We will still get it to you. It is now in BELTURBET, CO CAVAN

MOD <SNIP> Not a good start with your first post. This isn't a place to join just to throw around unfounded accusations. Not unusual for San Post to handle through the wrong depots.

Post edited by whiterebel on

That can happen for some addresses. Ours for example has a line in it that is very similar to the name of one of the main sorting offices so its not uncommon for our stuff to take a detour to the wrong sorting office as yours has done. So I guess the sorter or sorting system sees a name it knows really well and sorts on that bases rather than reading the whole address. When that happens it adds two days to the delivery time.

tbh I wouldn't be thinking its an An Post scam. I wouldn't however rely on even two day delivery with stuff coming from the UK.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Hit with £368 VAT charge by customs on an Amazon package yesterday. They include UK vat in the value of the item despite it saying on revenue.ie that they do not.

Has anyone got a package delivered to the north and driven up to collect it that way? Half thinking of returning the item and having it sent to a hotel in Belfast and staying up there for a night. I would get a night out and some pocket change with the money I would save in Irish VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

You should be paying Irish VAT on purchases from Amazon. There shouldn't be any extra charges.

Was it sold by Amazon or a private seller?

Advertisement