Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

That was different though because each league only had 12 teams and we finished 23rd in the overall rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Clearly on the wind up here. I'd imagine we'll perform better than the last time we met. An unconvincing 1-0 away from home and 2-0 at home, the latter including an OG and a last minute goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Is this the first time since the qualification for Euro 1984 that we haven't drawn a team from behind the old Iron Curtain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

When are fixtures announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not really. Cant see us getting anything from the other three so depending on how the fixtures fall morale could be so far in the gutter by the time we travel to Gibraltar so an "upset" wouldn't surprise me at all.

If the away game is earlier in the campaign we could well be up for it and end up winning both games against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Tandey

Horrible group. I blame Kenny.

Unfortunately yes they do. At least with Cyprus you could have gotten a decent away trip even if you couldn't get a ticket on the day.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Can either of you put into one sentence what needs to happen for us to get a qualifier via the Nations League route in the likely event we don't finish top two in this Euro Qualifying Group B.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

We are ranked 26th in the Nations League rankings. We need 18 (minimum) of the 25 to qualify directly OR 5 (minimum) of the 8 teams ranked 17-25 to qualify directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

"Practically guaranteed a play-off". I think it's more marginal than this, but I'll try to examine it as I type and maybe I'll be convinced (open mind, lets see)

Firstly, this is the Path B rankings. UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying play-offs - Wikipedia We are ranked in 10th place and the play-offs are 4 teams, so to get a play-off spot we would need 6 of the teams ranked above us to qualify automatically. (To get a home semi-final in that play-off we would need 8 of the teams above us to qualify but lets leave that aside as a bonus).

So of those 9 teams ranked above which 6 are going to qualify automatically?

Israel - In a group with Switzerland, Romania, Kosovo and Belarus. We'd have loved their spot. They'll be fancied for Top 2.

Bosnia - With Portugal, Iceland and Luxembourg. This should be manageable for them. Iceland are also one of our blockers though, ranked 7.

Serbia - Hungary, Montegro, Bulgaria. Should be favourites to win this group, would take a complete Serbian meltdown to not be Top 2.

Scotland - Spain, Norway, Georgia. Looks like a battle for second with a tricky Georgian team, and the wrecking ball that is Haaland. Marginal. Especially because Norway are also one of blockers.

Finland - Denmark, Slovenia, Kazakstan, Northern Ireland. This could be a struggle, Finland could get second or fifth and I wouldn't be surprised either way. But they look a plausible candidate for needing a play-off spot. Unfortunately Slovenia are a blocker also.

Ukraine - Italy, England, Macedonia. Ouch, this is a problem for us. Ukraine look nailed for needing their play-off spot here, and would be horrible opponents in an away semi-final.

Iceland - With Portugal, Bosnia and Luxembourg. We really need them or Bosnia to take a spot, but it probably won't be both qualifying automatically coz Portugal are solid.

Norway - Spain, Scotland, Georgia. Again the problem is that Spain will take a spot, so either Norway or Scotland won't and will thus need the play-off spot spot.

Slovenia - Denmark, Finland, Kazakstan, Northern Ireland. Problem again is that if Denmark finish top 2 then either Slovenia or Finland don't and thus need their play-off spot. Possibly they both might need their play-off spot.

My snap analysis is that we are completely fcuked for getting a play-off spot through the Path B placings. One of Bosnia and Iceland will need a spot, ditto one of Scotland or Norway, then Ukraine, then Finland or Slovenia. They'll be the 4.

There's obviously ways in which we could end up in the trickier Path A qualifying, but the rules state that Path D teams have priority for any excess places.

Most things being said online now are stating that if three teams who are ranked below us in the Nations League overall rankings directly qualify by finishing second then we miss out on the play offs.

Need no more than two teams from the Pot three teams of Montenegro, Albania, Armenia, Sweden, or Romania, and any of the Pot 4 or 5 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ah that is a poxy draw, feel very deflated after that. Pretty much a 0% chance that we will be getting out of that group - the real question will be do we finish 3rd or 4th, Greece away is as tough of a fixture as you could get from pot 4.

What happens now with regards to expectations for Kenny? I think most were in agreement that his tenure boils down to the Euro 2024 qualifying, but 5 months before a ball is even kicked we can almost safely say we won't be competing for a top two spot. Where does that leave him then? Obviously if we finish 4th he deserves to be sacked (and will go down as our worst ever manager by a country mile), if we finish 3rd does he deserve to stay on?

Brilliantly informative post, cheers for clarifying. That does not look good for us in terms of a playoff.

• Advertisement

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/0279-1636ce1f2295-f77616bdffaa-1000/un.pdf.pdf

Romania look to have a chance in a Group with Switzerland and Israel as Pot 1 and 2 sides. Sweden are in a Group with Belgium Pot 1 and Austria Pot 2 so would have a chance as well. So one more surprise qualifier from all the other Groups and there's no Play off for Ireland. Need to get lucky with those results we have zero control over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You have summed it up perfectly my fruity friend.

Excellent and thorough analysis.

The error in my way of thinking was that I forgot that the last time around there were only 12 teams in both leagues A & B, so therefore there were more play-off spots available for non-qualifiers, relatively speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,181 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Felt like it anyway. We seemed to get Georgia every year of the 00s and Armenia a bunch of times recently.

I think it's just bad luck for Kenny. If he doesn't qualify then he's gone, barring some real heroic & unfortunate effort (a la World Cup 2010).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,987 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Our seeding is mostly to blame and that is on Kenny to be fair. Hard to make our own luck based on our results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To be honest I think this draw means Kenny has a better chance of keeping his job after the campaign.

As long as he manages to finish a respectable 3rd. It will be job done. And none would argue with that.

Also it will suit Ireland as can play on the counter. It gives Obafemi /Ogbene a chance to surprise the big guns with their pace.

Let’s be honest the odds of Ireland getting a good draw were slim as 3rd seed. That is the reality of where Ireland are.

I will be looking forwards to the games. Big teams, big tests.

Almost like a Euros proper. The team as a great chance to learn and grow, with no outlandish expectations. If I was Kenny I would be secretly pleased as long as Ireland beat Gibraltar and not lose to Greece - that is the minimum expectations.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Depending on whether Wales have Bale after the WC an upset could happen in that group. Thankfully Georgia got in a group with Norway because I don't see Scotland qualifying directly and a handy pot 3 team I think Georgia could have caused a real upset.

Kazakhstan got into a group with Slovenia who are ahead of us so that's worked out in our favour because will be a battle there to see who gets second between Finland and Slovenia. Kazakhstan could be tricky pot 4 for those teams.

After their performances lately Hungary should take a top two spot and for our sake hopefully they do along with Serbia, and Montenegro finish third.

Albania shouldn't cause issues for Poland and Czech Republic. Not sure if Poland have lads that might retire after the WC and if they have younger players that can easily replace them.

but the rules state that Path D teams have priority for any excess places.

Had to double check that this was true. Yep, it is. So basically Latvia and or Estonia are going to be chucked in as cannon fodder to (almost certainly) League A. That's going to be a nice semi-final for somebody!

Yeah I think we're totally goosed.

Had a look myself. Is it only the very top D league side who will get thrown in? Estonia seemed to be the best ranked League D side. Then the other spots would trickle down to us hopefully, no?

Yeah, I think people on twitter (and the posters here taking it as gospel) are completely missing out on the ramifications of the Pot D teams having priority for excess play-off places. So all this talk earlier about being 'ranked 26th overall so just needing so many teams above us to qualify and this we get a play-off place' is complete garbage. But I do understand it's an easy thing to miss in the rules!

Ah, OK. After slagging other people for not reading the rules properly, I'll hold my hands up and say I got that wrong. I thought it was all group D winners who got priority, not just the best winner. So that makes it somewhat better for us.

But getting a Path B slot still looks pretty much impossible as per earlier analysis. Getting an away semi-final against whichever Path A team fcuked up seems the absolute best case.

Meh, lets draw&beat Netherlands like in 2002 qualifying and get there directly.

Yeah only Estonia are likely to get a play off spot. If Estonia actually manage to qualify directly then their potential spot doesn't then move down to Latvia.

Good spot. That gives us a small glimmer of hope I guess.

If we do get a qualifier spot then his future will hinge in that more than this group.

Unless we get really humiliated in the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭secman

We are a minnow in world football so we have a minnows chance... blaming that fact on Kenny is just plain funny. But if you put the blame on the scrote Delaney..you would have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Focus on the process rather than the end result. I can foresee a scenario where I end up feeling he should be sacked and we finish 3rd but also one where I feel he should keep his job despite finishing 4th. It depends on the actual performances and development through the 8 games.

If we hammer Gibraltar twice, draw twice with the Greeks and draw away to the French in a great performance but we're pipped to 3rd by the Greeks who matched our results but turned over the Dutch in a game should he be sacked for a 4th placed finish like that? Probably not if we are constantly improving.

On the other hand the Greeks could have a disastrous qualifying and we beat them twice in two poor enough games, we get hammered by the French and Dutch 4 times and struggle past Gibraltar. Should he keep his job even though we finished 3rd? Probably not if development has stalled and we're putting in woeful performances most games.

Deciding based solely on finish position is too black & white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Where are you seeing about the group D team? I thought I'd read that before but the info on Uefas website makes no mention of it.

Another play off scenario but probably less likely to happen than three teams below us qualifying automatically would be if 6/9 teams ahead of us in League B qualify automatically we get a League B play off spot.

Yup there's as much chance of Kenny keeping his job without qualification as there is Kenny getting the bullet and not even seeing any potential play off game.

Looking as good as Greece and giving the top 2 the kind of game we have Portugal would at least have Ireland back to our traditional level.

Qualifying would be big progress and back to our top level.

Nations league is Ireland’s real tournament as far as I am concerned- that is the bread and butter. To be thinking of qualifying for a Euros is aspirational notions at the best of times regardless of the teams drawn.

Kenny does deserve some blame - a lot of piss poor results in Nations league against teams Ireland should be getting results against have contributed to this seeding.

But Kenny’s ‘get out’ was he lowered the age of the squad changed the style of play etc.

The problem with that is it can be spun only for a certain amount of time.

I just read it on the Euro 2024 qualiflying playoff article so it might not be 100% accurate, although it would make more sense than multiple teams from League D being gauranteed a playoff. Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying_play-offs

So many variable factors that it is hard to make any kind of prediction, but could it end up in a situation where we end up playing Estonia in a playoff semi and then go on to play the winners of say Wales v Albania in a final? Would not be the worst scenario if that was the case. Ukraine being in such a tough group is a killer as they will likely be in the B league playoff route. So going into the A league playoffs might not be the worst thing.

edit: ah it is too complicated, could just as easily be someone like Austria or Norway in there, so we won't know for about another year if it will be a benefit or not.

Yeah that is true I guess, but I also feel like we need to see some real tangible progress in this campaign. If we were to finish 4th but get a win over Greece at home and maybe nick a result against France/Netherlands then you could think yes it is worth keeping him on, but if it's a 4th place finish full of moral victories and we do below par results wise then it's bye bye Kenny. If we slip up against Gibraltar it should be an automatic sacking.

"The team selection process will determine the twelve teams that will compete in the play-offs based on the Nations League overall rankings, using a set of criteria that obey these principles

Leagues A, B and C each form a path with the four best-ranked teams not yet qualified.

If one of those leagues has fewer than four non-qualifying teams, spots are taken first by the best group winner from League D (unless already qualified), and then by the next-best teams based on ranking.

Group winners from Leagues B and C cannot face teams from higher leagues."

Estonia, and only Estonia are guaranteed the first available spot if they need to use the overall rankings table to start filling up play offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

No mention of group D winner here.

Edit: This has the group D winner, so presumably an error on the article I posted.

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24/Article-17-Match-system-play-offs-Online

Greece usually are level or better than us so it's probably fair enough. Tbh I don't know a lot about the current team

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Greece are also coming into it off the back of a good Nations League and statistically had a better WC campaign than us. Would have had us both at the same price for qualification or maybe many Greeks have lumped money on themselves drawing their way to qualification knocking the odds down a bit 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Fixtures out tomorrow?

France at home first up with probably a friendly games also thrown in. September a tough month with France away followed by Holland at home.

Rugby World Cup kicks off the day before we play France so game might not be in Paris.

Not much easy about it. If we still have zero points after the away game in Greece, Kenny is going to be under a lot of pressure.

• Advertisement

Would have preferred the Greece games swapped having to play over there in June the weather could be in the high 30s.

France at home first up is a decent fixture. If you're gonna have any chance of getting a result you'd want them in the first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gibraltar after Greece each time is pretty good tbf. Morale shouldn't be low post-Greece so should be able to beat Gibraltar each time.

September is a nasty double header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Anyone thinking of going to the France away it probably won't be in Paris due to the Rugby World Cup. Possibly will be played in Lyon

Lyon the likeliest as there's also the games on the 9th in Paris, St Etienne, Bordeaux, and Marseille. Marseille would have been handy with direct flights from Shannon.

Issue with the fixtures. Welsh FA also tweeted so not sure if it's every fixture or just certain groups.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement