Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

something in the air about stupid overtakes. i was overtaken, across a white line, into oncoming traffic yesterday where it was blatantly clear there was ample overtaking opportunity ahead. if the driver had waited literally just two seconds, he wouldn't have scared the **** out of the oncoming driver.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

This morning was reminder that drivers simply don't give a sh!t about us cyclists, no matter what you do to ride assertively, be more visible, signal your intentions.

https://goo.gl/maps/3px1hCH3qPr2p9vF9

This morning it was the turn of Karen in her Toyota SUV. As I was approaching the roundabout, travelling a jot over 30kph, I looked over and signalled right to merge from the bus lane to a single lane through the roundabout. Karen was a bit back, but Karen wasn't having any of it - she actually accelerated to cut me off through the roundabout, brushing off me as she did. Let a roar so loud that it spooked the lady walking beside the roundabout (sorry!) but Karen just continued, looking blankly ahead as if I wasn't there. My voice is sore from the yell I let at her. I was hoping to catch her at Laurel Lodge - there's usually a queue of cars there but alas she's managed to get through the lights and join the queue through Blanch to the M50 - probably just as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to commute from near DCU to sandyford, and i never went near the five lamps - i went down griffith avenue, past east point business park, over the east link and out strand road from there. if i'd been heading to UCD i'd have swung up through trimleston and woodbine, might be an alternative route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭standardg60

Excellent, you will stick around for the left-hook discussions won't you?

I could do with an ally

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Speeding up to do so is a bit different. Would think that the driver wasn't paying attention to traffic from right to which they do give way and just wanted to get in front.

• Advertisement

speeding up to prevent a safe merge would almost certainly be against the law, i'd assume. it's wilfully creating a hazard.

Speeding up to cut-off someone clearly merging is dick behaviour, you condone that do you?

It could very easily be classed as careless driving. If you're accelerating to get to a roundabout first you've no business driving

53.— (1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place in a manner (including speed) which having regard to all the circumstances of the case (including the condition of the vehicle, the nature, condition and use of the place and the amount of traffic which then actually is or might reasonably be expected then to be in it) is or is likely to be dangerous to the public.

accelerating a car towards a roundabout to prevent an otherwise safe merge is clearly being wilfully dangerous. and considering they're also accelerating towards a vulnerable road user, would make it worse.

So behaving like a dick as long as it's not technically illegal is ok in your view?

• Advertisement

she was wilfully creating a hazard.

let's look at this in an alternate way; if you see someone pulling out of a side road ahead of you, and you think they're going to pull out before you get there - are you allowed accelerate specifically to prevent them? if you have the faintest whiff there's a hazard, you slow down. the first rule of driving a car is to avoid danger.

it's because the person merging into another lane has to give way to people already in that lane. but that also requires the people who are already in that lane to drive responsibly.

a very similar corollary is merging on a motorway. if you match your speed to the prevailing traffic, and see a gap it's safe to pull into, that is how you merge. however, if the driver 100m or 200m back sees you starting to do this and speeds up to prevent you from merging, they are the ones being a dick/creating the hazard.

or; you don't have right of way over a space you should not be in.

I was more getting at how the poster had derived their statement purely from the posters post. No one has right of way over traffic which has already merged, just because that traffic is a cyclist who you can accelerate by and squeeze past doesn't change that fact.

I suggest a new route for you. As mine is dcu to Dublin 2 daily and used to be ballsbridge.

Get on the canal at Dorset street all the way to Beckett bridge. Avoid turning off for macken street and go through grand canal dock and then you've a few options to ucd.

There's a few scrotes on the new section of cycle path near 5 lamps most evening. They keep to themselves in my experience, don't want trouble given they go off now and then to do other business. Then at charleville mall you have the alcoholics and drug addicts who get out of the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

WARNING: This is a hard watch. Three scumbags knock down a cyclist intentionally. I know it's not a near miss but its what can happen to you on irish roads

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/xzqx2o/scum_knocking_down_cyclist/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Back of the airport from the looks of it. Pure **** scum.

Ah sorry didn't know I screen recorded and uploaded to YouTube

https://youtu.be/Wa6OXxm5zpQ

i've whatsapped that to a garda i know, he might know what to do with it.

Paul_Mc1988, might be worth holding onto that video for now, just in case it disappears from reddit.

I was able to view the Reddit link with no problem - but I recall that it often asks you to sign in on mobile but not on desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Going round on WhatsApp, allegedly stolen! Pure scum

Should be public now. No news articles so hopefully he's OK

Hopefully none of that pond-life scum will be sleeping in their beds tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nylonlust

This mob are from Ballymun.

The car isn't stolen, its been around a while now.

The guy who's name appears in the video at top of the screen, initials SM, he has been posting various videos of that Audi tearing around glasnevin, ballymun, drumcondra.

Ballymun gardai are the ones that need to see that video, that lot have spent many a night in the cells up there.

If anyone has a garda contact in Ballymun Station make sure they get this video ASAP.

Another clue BTW, in that video their Snapchat group name appears, funny enough 2 in the car are from 'whiteacre' in Ballymun, which is the name of the Snapchat group.

This lot partied regularly in that Mc Verry Trust flat in constitution Hill where the body lay for days.

Not the brightest bunch. The car is either up in Ballymun in the gombeens driveway, or parked down near Hercules Gym off Bolton Street (where one of their girlfriends live), linenhall parade I think is the name of the street.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd say they'd be lucky to hit 100 if you added their IQ together but they don't give a ****, they won't do time if they are even lifted.

Hope the lad on the bike is OK.

i just rang the garda station in ballymun; they're aware of the video and the matter is under investigation.

Thanks for the update

Twitter page @howzatcp has another video of the SM character driving the same car like a madman on a different day around glasnevin, he's named in full there.

The Snapchat name on top of this other video belongs to a 'Hollie' who is the girlfriend of a 'Glen' that shares the same surname as christy from ASLAN.

Handy few hints there for any member of the gardai reading this thread. Unfortunately can't say anymore.

• Advertisement

unfortunately the garda i was talking to seemed hopeful i had some new information which would be useful to them; unfortunately (or i guess fortunately?) i did not.

christ, he's lucky. that looked like quite an impact.

That story should say gardai are investigating attempted murder as that's what that is

There was a smashed up bike in the ditch at the airport yesterday morning, though don't imagine it was the same one ..looked like a mountain bike

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Does anyone know anything about legislation around using motorbikes on cycle lanes? I usually turn a blind eye to motorised scooters etc but a fella was taking the piss recently near Dundrum (on the R286 road) he was on a proper motorbike, not a scooter or electric bicycle, in the cycle lane. I caught up with him at the next traffic lights and challenged him, he said "I didn't hit you, so what's your problem?". He was wearing a black facemask with a skull on it didn't strike me as a fella to be messed with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I don't think Gardaí have a tendancy to scour boards for clues, you'd be better off calling them.

• Advertisement

In the other video he passes an extremely busy shop, 2 schools and a public library while driving like a complete and utter cretin. It's a busy road, and it's an area with loads of elderly on foot, students on foot or bike and school kids.

It'sk just a complete and utter disregard for the lives and safety of others.

It's a road I use daily, and the airport once a week I'd say. This a whole new level of criminal behaviour though. Haven't seen it like that in long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I imagine the judge will throw the book at them and impose a severe suspended sentence.

Nail on the head. Ridiculous judicial system we have.

Anything less than attempted murder and GBH would be a joke

cf the video someone posted in the journalism and cycling thread, about the case in the UK where a driver knocked a cyclist down and punched him unconscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If I remember correctly they had a previous conviction for doing the same thing before as well.

Things are starting to get pretty bad here in terms of 'anti-cyclist' rhetoric, but it's a different ball game altogether in the UK these days

• Advertisement

well, whaddya know; an uneventul 32km spin, until about 3 or 4km from home - when a taxi driver drove out in front of me. and it was at the side of the airport.

i was almost all the way through this junction and he pulled out from the left, in front of me, with about 2m to spare. stared at me impassively when we both reached the next set of lights.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4171993,-6.2659726,3a,75y,168.82h,88.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVl7jz7ItbIcFN8FPdvBWsg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DVl7jz7ItbIcFN8FPdvBWsg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D76.54344%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

then cycling downhill through ballymun, i was in the middle lane and the guy driving the bus to my left indicated and pulled out into my lane very possibly not knowing i was there. he'd have easily been able to see me in his wing mirror though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I love how taxi drivers always seem to get a slap on the wrist because they have to provide for their family and a ban would stop them from doing this, but the fact they abuse cyclists, drive like they want proves need to be put in line especially because their families depend on it. They need to be held to a higher standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You'll be pleased to hear he's not a taxi driver any more.

He's now working as a courier.

no idea what the preceding events were, but i just passed a car pulled up outside a local school (secondary school) with hazards on, and the driver out and standing with a couple of schoolkids, with a bike lying on the footpath with a snapped fork.

could easily have been the motorist stopping because they saw the student come a cropper, rather than a actual collision; that would have been a rather unpleasant and unexpected surprise.

suspension fork, snapped just where the tines meet the crown.

yeah, i'm not sure what the usual terminology would be.

an aside, i don't like the use of the word 'forks' because it's a fork, and 'front fork' is a tautology in a sense.

I'm sticking with prong!

Tines are for leaf rakes :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would report that.. Why not. Garda should have a word with him about the manner of his driving and what he did after the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

I know others who have tried to make reports like this only to be told swearing loudly is a public order offense.

I'm not sure what the Garda consider an apropriate response to almost being murdered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement