Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

But there is 30 games to go.

There are problems, and we’re certainly not looking like it now but there’s lots of games and a transfer window before all is said and done.

Calling CL an unrealistic target after 8 games is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

By no means our worst performance and could have taken a point in a tricky away game against the in-form team. I'm not too upset with that but I do feel that the consistency of the officiating would leave a lot to be desired.

I'm slowly starting to think that selling Salah last summer to fund a few younger, quality reinforcements might not have been the bad idea that we all feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

We need to finish 3rd in our CL Group and get into the Europa, best chance of getting in the CL next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Like league gone and all that but we've seen nothing of this team this season, and I mean literally nothing, to make you think we could string a number of wins together.

As things stand, top half looks like the aim, all the bodies are back, there has been ample rest amidst all this burnout nonsense talk and still we can't win a pair of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

There is 30 games still to play anything can happen, they need to shake off whatever is wrong fast but top 4 is not gone. If that makes me delusional so be it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

And after next week, and another loss, there’ll be 29.

Are we going to have a full season of people counting the games left?

We are awful. We are going to lose a lot of games this season.

At some point it’s going to click on people’s heads that this is not a blip, this is an overdue consequence of lack of squad investment. Last years insane run of form papered over the cracks, but the cracks are too big to paper over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The biggest compliment to klopps reign is that a bad run causes a complete breakdown of rational thought, as evidenced by this level of insanity.

The idea we can string a long series of wins together requires just too much mental gymnastics for me to see it as realistic.

Our best defender is absolutely shite. Our best attacker is stuck out wide doing nothing. Our midfield is terrible.

There are fundamental issues with us, this is not a blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Having to buy in the January window means it's too late,if your club is run right you should never have to spend a cent in January

The biggest problem with Salah is his new position. It makes no sense, he has been absolutely useless out there.

Time to end this experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5 goals and 3 assists for Bobby in 6 league games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

It’s going to be scary scoreline vs City.

I have very little hope for the season despite 30 more games. We don’t look like a team just on the edge of good or nearly there as we are tinkering with formations.

Far too many players that need moving on for a variety of reasons including injury (that list is long), poor defensive ability (TAA), past their prime (Bobby and dare I say Salah, Henderson, Milner).

Yes injuries are a major issue but they have been a major issue for a very long time. Is it recruitment or our medical department that keeps allowing hospital cases in the squad.

We did invest in the forward line and I thought it was with a view to Mane leaving which looked like good planning. But we have sat on the midfield question and forgot completely about the back 4. Do we blame Klopp, recruitment or FSG for this mess ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Jesus mugged us off for that pen btw. Plants his foot on the ground then does a 360 degrees, back arc'ing pirouhette and the ref swallows it whole.

That’s the thing.

The goals we concede are not unlucky, it’s not like they’re deflections etc. We are getting torn apart defensively and much worse teams than Arsenal are scoring against us with ease.

Going forward it’s not like we create a ton of chances either. It’s not like keepers are putting in man of the match performances against us.

Our play is really, really bad. We have no control in midfield. We can barely play the same midfield 2 games in a row cause our players are either old or injury prone.

The warning signs have been there for a while, but the stark reality of not investing in what was a title winning squad is on display right now.

The biggest problem is this wont be fixed in 1 window, or even 2 windows. We’re in that rebuilding phase again now. It’s ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Sell Trent? Jaysus, put down that drink and go for a walk.

Collective responsibility, all revelled in success, all culpable for decline.

Unless there is a road of Damascus moment and he turns his career around, I think his days as a defender are limited, it’s either move him forward to midfield or look for an alternative player. He isn’t the first star to burn brightly early in his career, then fade.

• Advertisement

He is not a good defender. Fabulous going forward but has been wandering for a long time and not doing his job. His lack of midfield cover doesn’t help but he has been very poor for a very long time. Every single opposition team targets him every game. That has to be telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

"Do we blame Klopp, recruitment or FSG for this mess ?"

Both. Klopp and FSG are perfect for each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I dozed off and missed most of the game, but they got a penalty for that while a blatant handball is waved away ?? WTF ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Forgot about the back 4? Signed Konate and Tsimikas in the last cupla years. Then have Gomez a long term contract and signed Ramsay as back up for RB. Whatever about the quality of those signings you can't possibly say there hasn't been planning in defense. Midfield is a whole other issue, everyone agrees on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Trent can Not start against City itll be horrific if he does,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

This has all being coming with a while now,the lack of squad investment be it from fsg or klopp not wanting players has now caught up with us,I have great time for hendo and thiago but that's not a midfield of a squad looking to push on into the future

I honestly think darwin was a mistake but we'll have to make do,I'm glad he scored today but I can't see what he offers us

Mo looks like a lad who never saw a ball before and trent may aswell be on the moon

The only genuine top class player we now have performing to his level is allison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Salah's contract is fine.

We haven't given the team the tools that are necessary. This incarnation of the team has gassed itself.

Only 2 squads in the PL are older.

Most of our best team were there in 2018.

FSG's penny pinching has finally come home to roost. Arsenal have caught up. So have Spurs. City have renewed. Utd will eventually spend enough under a decent manager to get it right.

We're fúcked unless our transfer model is tweaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Klopp looks and sounds distraught, I hope he isn't in too bad a place.

Top4 very much still likeky Imo.... we'll turn this around before long.

I'd go as far as to say that final run of games last season was the final stand.

A little foresight would have told them the team was on fumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Top 6 will be a struggle

We are 10 away from 3rd and City next so probably 13 points

Almost 5 wins

City & Arsenal are gone, Spurs could be soon

So that leaves Chelsea, United, Newcastle & US for 4th, i cant see it

2 wins so far is horrendous

• Advertisement

l’ll give you that. Some work was done in the back line. Konate I like. Tsimikas is a backup and a solid one. Gomez was there already and decent. Ramsey is completely unknown right now. There is no replacement for TAA. Andy yes has cover with Tsimikas. The centre looks flaky for a while but is that because they are covering for TAA ? VVD performance has fallen off a cliff.

Klopp wrung the last drop out of a magnificent team, the players possibly didn’t have enough rest during the summer. But there are parallels with his great Dortmund team, he got them to the top but as players declined or left, they collapsed. If he has a failing as a manager, it may be that he is too loyal to senior players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

3 of the next 4 league games are at home, away game is at Nottingham Forest, who have conceded 21 goals in 8 games, with 6 losses 1 draw 1 win.

I don't fear anyone at home, City at home next, an easy one at last. We don't have to wonder if we'll compete in that game, it's a sure thing we'll win .

4 wins needed now to set us up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking to BBC Sport: "We created, we were really dangerous, we scored our goal, wonderful goal. Then concede last second of the first half. Obviously we made a mistake, counter attack is the goal. That is our situation, getting to half time knowing we were good in the game but ignoring the result.

"We wanted to carry on the good stuff but unfortunately we didn't do that. We equalised, it was a really open game then. The situation around the penalty of course we should have cleared it. Now I saw it and I think you can imagine I don't think it is a clear penalty, it is a very soft one. I think it is a situation where the referee have another look at it in real time.

"Couple of things went against us but we are not blind, we see we could have done better in moments. In general it was a good away game against a good side. We caused them a lot of problems but stand here with no points."

On taking off Trent Alexander-Arnold: "He is injured unfortunately. Like Luis Diaz as well, it doesn't look good for both. That is the icing on the cake..."

More on the game: "Arsenal are doing really well and in the situation I think we played a good game. Conceding the three goals, it had nothing to do with the game really. We have to win challenges in these moments. They should not get in these situations but it happened.

"I saw a team with the right attitude and put in a proper fight and play football and first half we did but in the second half I didn't see these football moments as much.

"I think the game is a draw but today we have nothing."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We need to get a run going, get some confidence. 2 losses now in 2022 in league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I think pretty much all our problems start with the lack of planning in midfield. We let Wijnaldum go who played nearly every game each season without any replacement, have let Ox and Naby rot away without any replacement. Henderson is slowing down with age, Milner is finished and Thiago can't get a run of games without injury. The solution to all this has been to bring in Arturo Melo...

I cant see Arsenal keeping this form up. Man City fair enough obviously... Arsenal nope ..Spurs nope..... Utd are as bad as recent seasons and I doubt Chelsea will be too far away from us come end of season. Top4 very much alive.

None of the teams you mention will fear playing Liverpool, last year when playing better, we did not beat any of the other top 4 teams. As things stand I think City and Arsenal are nailed on top 4, and the other 2 places are up for grabs. Unless there is improvement, I can’t see why anyone would expect us to finish above either Spurs or Chelsea.

.....I'm obviously expecting improvement! 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

If TAA is out injured for a spell, then I think that's actually a positive thing. He's been the root cause of a lot of our problems.

We all are, but the questions are, when, by how much, and will it be enough? We live in hope, but as each match goes by, the concerns get bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't know where anyone would get the confidence that we will finish top 4. Right now I'd say it's more unlikely than likely. There is zero sign that results will be improving markedly for us any time soon.

What we look like is an ageing squad that has been overtaken by most of our big spending rivals. Years of a sell to buy policy has finally come home to roost.

United are as and as recent seasons, yet they dispatched with us with ease and are about to be 5 points clear of us. It is fairly clear they are not as bad as recent seasons, while they are definitely not title challengers they are heading in the right direction unfortunately.

I don't know why you think Arsenal and Spurs are going to drop off to such an extent that we'd catch them. Arsenal are 14 points ahead of us, and Spurs 10 points. If we won every single game between now and the end of the season we would need Arsenal to lose 5 games for us to catch them, and 4 games in the case of Spurs. It is likely to be a gap of 17 and 13 after next weekend, and we are obviously not going to win every game.

It would need to be a monumental collapse in form for us to finish ahead of any of the current top 3, so 4th spot is as good as it's going to get for us, and we are well behind there as well.

People keep saying 30 games to go etc, yea, great. When you dig yourself into such a deep hole after only 8 games it can be too big a task to get yourself out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

That interview with Klopp on Bein sports is concerning imo. He doesn't look well.

When I say top4....I of course realise 4th is the most likely. Ye are a glass half empty sort in here it seems 😅

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm slightly worried about klopp after seeing the post match interview. He looks cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Can anyone explain what our tactics are?

Seems like we do everything in hope rather than as part of a plan at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No real worries about Nunez he will score plenty of goals.

Thought he may also be written off plenty on Twitter clips of training passes and shots going wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Anyone got a link to that interview on Bein Sports?

Look at that Rashford handball, conpare it to Gabriel, and tell me with a straight face that the laws aren't made up as they go along.

• Advertisement
Advertisement