Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,257 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don’t believe this. I don’t suppose you’d identify what IT projects you’re referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I know I'm kinda outing myself on this one but receiving an email from the PO and in the first line saying work comes first says it all. Wanting 9.12 to 5.30 with 1.15 lunch. No regard or acknowledgment of how we have not only met target's but surpassed them. People in the job 20+ years are considering their options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wench

That is the standard non flexi work day now, since the (mostly) restoration of the old hours

Seriously! 12 minutes past 9! 12!

What are they at being so specific. Again 12! (Apologies for repeating myself, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Of course not. Anyway this thread isn't about IT projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wench

Back in ye olde days, it was 9.15 - 5.30 , 5.15 on Fridays.

That was an average of 6.57 per day. New regime is 7.00 per day, so they pushed the start time back to 9.12 to reflect that.

I think any leaving will be offset a bit by those looking for job security ahead of a recession. I think those near retirement might just call time though. Professional technical type grades/roles will continue to struggle in recruitment. That's my guess anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,257 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nothing to do with you, but seriously counting minutes? Nuts in my head.

• Advertisement

Hated the minute watching with flexi clocks. I'm not sure I'd be in a rush back to it.

I do my own thing and my boss is cool with it. Job done, that all he cares about.

Same with my lads. Don't feck around and I'll be the fonz. They're not kids and I won't treat them like that. You pull the piss you're effecting the whole team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Totally. 7hr days are dream. I am at 7.5 but regularally over 8, even 9 some days.

Maybe it's time for a Rhyss Mogg "Sorry I missed you in the office today" Post-it note approach for some who think they and they alone should decide their place if work. 'Cornering managers' , 'speaking my mind' or the like.. Brave or maybe clueless as to the heirachy that applies to management. Everyone that spent the guts of 2yrs full time at home knows you can get more done at home, but it's not a simple as that.

I agree with one poster above, if you work late one and need to go early another day, a just do approach would be my way. Results speak for themselves and if the work is being done the clock does not matter that much.

My experience is clock watchers need watching. Many see and measure performance by time, not the actual effeciency in the input (time) or quality of the result for the input on the task. Meanwhile those that complete tasks quickly, just get more work to do.

I doubt we can or will ever move away from performance = putting your hours in mentality, both at management and employee levels. It is no where as linear as that for many office based roles.

I always find being flexible largely works up to a point. But at some point someone will out of the blue decide to be a stickler and catch people out. They can't really complain because the flexibility is usually unofficial.

This was partly what all that quiet quitting (work to rule) was all about. Flexibility given is not returned.

It's good to send an email when out of hours work is done. Not in look at me martyr way. But if someone denies its existence. You have that record.

While I didn't like flexi and the clock watching. No one could deny your hours though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Sadly you are right. Flexibility is often not rewarded, and often taken for granted. It is where in my role, and its a source of frustration. An email out of hour is always a good thing to show that you are being flexible...just so the manager knows and can't say no to an early finish. It is ridiculous that you have to resort to this sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Pisses me off that the unions just caved on the HRA restoration and gave management those extra 15 minutes a week. I know it's only 15 minutes, but that's an hour a month, nearly two days a year. The 1:15 lunchbreak is beyond ridiculous, too!

(Obviously I work more than 7 hours the vast majority of days, it's the principle of the thing!)

If you're late 15 mins one day and early 15 mins another two which do you think will matter. Won't be it's only 15 mins then.

Couple of things in what you said there.

Flexibility definitely goes two ways.

You need to head off an hour early, grand. Don't pull the phish. I expect the same from them as well. Just on rare occasions where needs be.

Flexibility should happen on a unit/manager level. I wouldn't handle a stringent "law" on office attendance. Not my bag .

Emails out of hours, if it happened regularly, I'd be annoyed. Why are you online at 20:00(I'll admit I'm awful at that).

I'm sure my login and logoff times are caught. If it was mentioned to me on a certain day that I finished earlier I'd laugh at them.

• Advertisement

What I don't get about out of hours emails is not the sending of them. But why receiving of them is an issue. You can just turn off notifications when out of hours. It's an email setting.

How exactly are people getting these emails that they don't want to see.

October Blended Working Survey Results - Part 1

119 responses in total.

Q1 - Where are you working? Q2 - Name the body if it's not listed here (optional)

CSO: 3

D/Agriculture, Food and the Marine: 7

D/Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth: 2

D/Defence: 2

D/Education: 5

D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment: 5

D/Environment, Climate and Communications: 6

D/Finance: 3

D/Foreign Affairs: 1

D/Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science: 3

D/Health: 5

D/Housing, Local Government and Heritage: 3

D/Justice: 1

D/Public Expenditure and Reform: 3

D/Rural and Community Development: 2

D/Social Protection: 14

D/Taoiseach: 1

D/Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media: 3

D/Transport: 2

Garda Civilian: 8

Local Authority: 4 (none specified which ones)

NSSO/PeoplePoint: 2

Other civil service body with less than 500 staff: 9 (3 specified where - the Ombudsman, the CSSO, and the Data Protection Commission)

Other civil service body with more than 500 staff: 7 ( 3 in the Property Registration Authority, 1 each in the Houses of the Oireachtas, the HSE, the NSS0 (even though that had its own entry))

Revenue Commissioners: 13

That's all the departments covered, at any rate!

Boards' posting size limit is fairly small - I'm unfortunately going to have to do the rest of the questions in their own post each, maybe two to a post. Apologies for spamming the thread!

"No" from

D/Defence

D/Education

D/Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science

D/Rural and Community Development

D/Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media

Garda Civilian

Local Authority

HSE

(Ok, this will take a while - Boards won't let me copy the graphics direct from google forms, I have to snip them...)

Prior to 1st October:

D/Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment, D/Environment, Climate and Communications, D/Finance, D/Foreign Affairs, D/Health, D/Public Expenditure and Reform, D/Rural and Community Development, D/Social Protection, D/Transport, Garda Civilian, Local Authority, OGP, Ombudsman, PRA

Q4 this year:

CSO, D/Agriculture, Food and the Marine, D/Defence, D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment, D/Environment, Climate and Communications, D/Health, D/Housing, Local Government and Heritage, D/Justice, D/Social Protection, NSSO/PeoplePoint, OPW, Revenue Commissioners, CSSO, DPC, Oireachtas, PRA

Next year:

A local authority

If anyone wants a breakdown of this one, let me know.

What options are available under the policy for the majority of staff? (Tick all that apply)

Well that was a dumb way to structure that question! Hmm... easiest thing I guess is to do a lot of copy and pasting...

"Four days WFH, one in office": D/Social Protection, Garda Civilian, NSSO/PeoplePoint, Revenue Commissioners

"One day WFH, four in office": D/Social Protection, Local Authority, PRA, Revenue Commissioners

"One day WFH, four in office; Two days WFH, three in office": D/Agriculture, Food and the Marine, D/Public Expenditure and Reform, D/Social Protection, OGP, Ombudsman

"One day WFH, four in office; Two days WFH, three in office; Three days WFH, two in office": CSO, D/Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment, D/Health, OPW

"One day WFH, four in office; Two days WFH, three in office; Three days WFH, two in office; Four days WFH, one in office": D/Social Protection, NSSO/PeoplePoint, Revenue Commissioners, CSSO

"Three days WFH, two in office": CSO, D/Defence, D/Enterprise, Trade and Employment, D/Environment, Climate and Communications, D/Finance, D/Health, D/Justice, D/Rural and Community Development, D/Social Protection, OPW, Revenue Commissioners, DPC

"Three days WFH, two in office, Four days WFH, one in office": D/Social Protection, Revenue

"Two days WFH, three in office": D/Agriculture, Food and the Marine, D/Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, D/Health, D/Public Expenditure and Reform, D/Social Protection, D/Taoiseach, Local Authority, Revenue Commissioners, Oireachtas

"Two days WFH, three in office; Three days WFH, two in office": D/Foreign Affairs, D/Housing, Local Government and Heritage, D/Transport

Unsure what to make of that one. Some people probably misinterpreted the question (my fault for the wording), or may have answered for their business unit rather than the organisation as a whole?

If I add in this text then "Body is 1 character too short" will go away...

If anyone wants a breakdown by organisation, let me know...

Likewise...

• Advertisement

Flexibility seems to work more for management than staff?

Advertisement