Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash is important

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not only that but you can access any corporate plan and get them rates

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My parents were on some teachers union negotiated plan for years. Neither's a teacher!

This does remind me, I need to join my employers group scheme as I have the same plan privately so I'm wasting that 10% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can see the switch to a cashless society happening much quicker than some think. Cash will be seen as a quaint past time.

The only people who have an issue with it will be those who prop up their income through nixers, criminality or whatever.

Certain criminal behaviour will literally disappear over night like aggressive begging, for example, and even the drugs trade would take a hammering with every cent of expenditure tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Can people stop with this "legal tender" sh1te.

I'll put it loudly.

In a normal retail transaction "legal tender" has NO MEANING WHATSOEVER. NADA, ZILCH, NOTHING.

Legal tender has a very special legal definition. It is for the extinguishing of a debt already occurred. A retail transaction, including a fuel transaction where you put the fuel in before payment or a restaurant meal you eat before paying is not a debt in the meaning of legal tender.

In past years many shops gave credit to customers. The customer would have made an account agreement and paid off the debt at certain points - it is in this context that "legal tender" has meaning if you had purchased the goods on credit last months and went to pay for them this month.

But in term of a normal retail transaction, please do not make an utter fool of yourself by citing "legal tender"

I had one such eejit in front of me in a shop a few months ago and I enjoyed putting him down after his tirade against a young cashier and he meekly left after try so desperately hard to argue the point and kept digging his hole deeper and deeper.

BTW - Cash will never go away. It will only be for a small percentage of payments, but it will always be there

So all the older people who are uncomfortable using cashless are obviously involved in criminality as are people who do not have bank accounts.

I have not come accross too many 80 year old women doing painting or plumbing nixers

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That generation of 65+ older people who have no experience of technology we take for granted are disappearing though and will soon be the generations that have grown up with it.

I'm not sure that excuse will hold for much longer.

Many will still be around for 20+ years. Average person that reaches 65 will live to there mid eighties and beyond it at present

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Ignoring the fact that most of these don't happen to 99% of people or haven't been issues for years, if it was her last tenner the tap would have been declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Honestly, check out the Boards conspiracy forum. It is vastly more terrifying to find that actual adults in Ireland believe this kind of nonsense.

You actually believe you're the hero of that story don't you?

• Advertisement

Do you clear your tray at the end or are you one of those?

If you want to talk about having respect for those around me, that's another reason I only use card. Cash is bad enough in terms of holding the queue up (I'd normally have the phone unlocked in my hand and would have left before the cashier has a chance to open the till) but holding others up while you get your money out, then root around for the change to get notes back and take three attempts to count your coins really is the height of rudeness.

So, close to, which means change, which takes longer.

Yeah, paying by tap is always quicker, unless you somehow frequent the magic centra of yours where everyone is incapable of touching a card to a pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭CarProblem

It is prone to failure. On the few occasions per year where I've neglected to go to an ATM and resort to tapping, half the time the machine is out of order. I don't know how full time tappers live like that

Not at all in my experience

In many businesses the card reader is kept upside down behind the counter, meaning you can't see how much you're tapping for

I've not once been asked to tap in Ireland and not been able to see the amount

As said, it turns your bank statement into a phone book. Dozens and dozens of monthly taps, I can't be abiding by it

Fail to see the problem, go paperless if it bothers you

card payment takes longer than paying by cash

Absolutely not at all in my experience

makes budgeting more difficult

How?

can take up to a week after transaction to show your correct bank balance. use card and you never know exactly how much money you have

Utter nonsense - my current account shows it the second the transaction is approved. Yes it may show as "pending" but available balance is reduced

Paying by tap simply takes longer

No it doesn't (at least in my experience as a serial tapper)

and often takes two or three attempts.

This is absolutely not the case at all

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve never nixered and I’m not a criminal, and i have an issue with it.

drugs trade would continue unhindered. It’s too lucrative not to. You’ll have fraud added to everything to secure payment in a cashless scenario. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cameron326

I'm held up far more frequently and for far longer by people whose card/phone isn't scanning or being accepted, as opposed to the occasional elderly person rummaging around in their purse for 30 seconds or so for the right coin/note. The elderly person also has the advantage of always being able to get it eventually, whereas the faulty unreadable card frequently runs on and on for several minutes.

Personally I object to a cashless society as I think a society in which tracking technology is mandated in every facet of life rather than considered an "opt in" has too many dangerous and worrying implications for future authoritarian government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Can anyone remember back when Lidl only took cash - no cards at all (yes thats true I believe less than 10 years ago iirc they stated accepting debit and credit cards in 2014 or 15?).

Back then I can remember a few times being behind a shopper who took out a card and was very surprised when they were told they didn't accept cards. Now that slowed the queue down a bit.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

About 8 years ago we were sat in the packed local, about half ten of a Sunday night… next, lights out, TV off and hello…power cut… the manager after consulting with his staff decides that we have to go, no tills, bad light, so health and safety and the financial inability to deal with money in that scenario…

next the elderly owner arrives, slightly jarred mind you but issues a comical bollôcking to his manager and next staff are arriving with calculators from the office, till drawer is out and and the candles which they had in the restaurant…lit up in front of mirrors and money tilled up….and business as usual..

given the threats this winter regarding power cuts and outages… in a cashless society, the fûck happens then ? card machines run on electricity, to power and charge as well as the wifi….It’s a knuckle-headed idea to ninja cash, cash is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

You just have to lose connection

• Advertisement

Owner makes staff work during blackout risking several health and safety lawsuits is not the gotcha you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Cash is king, it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They took Laser cards nearly immediately on opening, and credit cards about a decade ago. Ditto Aldi.

In both cases it was down to being German - card payment is still rare there. But they adapted. I think Ireland may have been the first country in Europe they took credit cards in due to how heavily they are used here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hop House 13

So you see no conflict of interest at all that a bank who the state are a majority shareholder of is a global partner of an unelected private invitation only forum that is trying to dictate global financial policy .

This said bank tried to pull a fast one and felt the wrath of the people.

If the s**t hits the fans it's the likes of you who will be up s**t creek without a paddle

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

The probable introduction of Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) in the near future is very worrying. If this eventually replaces cash and cards, then we're doomed.

With cash we have total anonymity. With cards we have relative anonymity—only our own bank knows about our transactions and can't share details with anyone.

With CBDC the central bank knows about all transactions in real time—who, where, when, how much etc.

CBDC can be programmable, which could put limits and controls on how, where and on what it's spent.

If there's a lockdown and a travel limit of 2km, then your CBDC could be programmed not to work outside this distance. Because of the climate "emergency" there might be a limit on how much fuel you can buy for your car. And so on...

Will nobody think of the criminals! How's a coke head going to feed their habit if he can't break in to get cash. And bad enough taxi drivers being forced to take card payments. Soon they'll need to be paying tax!

I went to the UK recently and spent a week without once needing to get cash. Just used my CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Says at the end that in June 2022 it was only ~2/3 the pre pandemic. So it's coming back from next to nothing during covid to still a large drop to pre covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Cashless is fantastic, why not link your spending habits with another stick like personal carbon credits. It was conspiracy of yesterday and looks fringe today (just to manipulate you in some guilt with every purchase).

With potential to become mandatory tomorrow...

PJ Watson is little over the top but a lot of things which looked fantasy yesterday are becoming reality so if this idea is being trialed somewhere it may become everyday reality even for us soon. Something like already well established and used Chinese social credit system to our carbon credit system masquerading as some "save the planet" exercise. Nothing but just another tax on people.

Advertisement