Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to do 'everything' to prevent evictions - McEntee

Options
  • 09-10-2022 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

For background I am not a landlord and have rented in the past for many years.

i feel the government is seriously overstepping the boundaries here. If someone has privately purchased a property and wish to evict someone through proper channels for either non payment of rent or for use of their own house who are the government to say no.

if they don’t want to evict then the government can either build their own houses or compensate the landlord in full for any shortfall.

If people know they don’t have to pay you’ll get the usual crowd taking advantage with property owners left holding the can.

Its their own inane policies in other areas causing this - they would do well to focus on unfettered immigration and building costs than these knee jerk politics.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2022/1009/1328086-housing/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

McEntee will also be concerned with the pronouns the tenant uses to describe their house, and will drop whatever she’s doing if the tenant wants a pic with the Minister for her Instagram too.

I cannot believe this twit has a Ministerial role, let alone a senior one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

What a country........don’t pay your mortgage for years and you’ve little chance of having the house repossessed.......now don’t pay your rent and suffer no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

i feel the government is seriously overstepping the boundaries here.

How are the Government overstepping their boundaries when the article you linked to can be summed up as McEntee doing what politicians do and making promises they can’t deliver on in the hope it will boost their ratings in the polls? That’s why she’s having to ask the AG would it be possible to introduce an eviction ban during the winter months so that people who aren’t currently homeless can’t be evicted temporarily.

That’s not Government overstepping their boundaries, it’s Government doing what they’re expected to do! Too little, too late, with SF nipping at their heels with their own bunch of promises they can’t deliver on increasing their popularity in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

Of course the government will do what gets them re-elected. But banning evictions won’t work and they all need to stop appealing to the lowest common denominator - it will drive more small landlords out, net homelessness is likely not to improve; if someone is evicted, someone will move in and it undermines property rights.

It won’t work, but people facing eviction during winter will probably be glad of a bit of temporary relief.

It might drive smaller landlords out of the market, but being a landlord is a business in the first place - more regulation is naturally going to drive the smaller landlords out of the market because they can’t afford to stay in the market. That’s not appealing to the lowest common denominator either, it’s just the cost of doing business. I do agree it’s a fine balance the Government are trying to strike though because the bigger landlords will have no qualms about carrying out evictions if there’s no profit from the property for them.

It’s true that with this particular measure being proposed, homeless figures aren’t likely to improve, but that’s not the point of the measure. The point is to try to make sure homeless figures don’t get any worse by at least preventing landlords from evicting tenants during the winter months.

The proposed measures don’t have any impact on property rights, it would have an impact on anyone who’s a landlord that they cannot evict the tenants currently occupying the property. It increases protections for existing tenants, which are hardly the lowest common denominator - they may have difficulty meeting the rent, but that’s not an impediment on their ability to vote.

As you suggested though in your opening post - there are many more reasons why tenants might be inclined to vote for other parties who they imagine will deliver on their promises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭MakersMark

It's unbelievable that deadbeat tenants who break the law by overholding are going to get a free pass from this government .

If the government insists on this then it must offer to buy the property from landlords .

In my case, my overholding tenants can just laugh at me now, despite being legitimately being served notice to quit 13 months ago.

I love to see tge flicking bleeding hearts on here go 13 months without a wage and still be forced to go to work.

Changing the law when it suits without compensation is unconstitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭MakersMark

No other business gets treated like the landlord business.

Wheres the laws to give motorists free petrol and fine petrol stations who don't give it to them?

Wheres the price caps on food, clothing, electricity, computers , cars etc etc?

But you chose to live there, under the circumstances of the contract.

You can't then complain about the obligations you had to meet.

Quite simply, some people deserve to be evicted and shouldn’t change

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

The landlord has obligation to do repairs and replacements according to the contract.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, and he mentioned that.

But the terms of the contract are agreed to beforehand, including the obligations that both sides intend to meet.

You cannot then complain about the contract that was agreed upon. It's having your cake and eating it, kind of thing.

Not all landlords are multimillionaires, either. Not that this matters, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This isn't a new thing in the country.

During the financial crash, and over many subsequent years, very few people were evicted from their homes when mortgages weren't being paid.

Post edited by NIMAN on

I agree about things being agreed. It depends on people keeping agreements though I suppose.

Most landlords and tenants are honest, some aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

In 2020 the AG forgot to disclose that he himself is a landlord. A landlord who collects close to 100k euro per year of rental income.

Helen and Co have again gone to seek his advice on if an eviction freeze is legal.

This country can be parody at times

She's opportunistic.

She had no political talent at all. Her father died, and then she decided to take his seat - almost as if it were a hereditary seat.

I don't know about you, but I don't like hereditary politics.

As for her, I find her wooden and boring, bereft of originality. Stunted by a lack of charisma, and tortuously wedded to identity politics and what makes her look good in a selfie.

I don't think she has been any good as a minister, and she has overseen some regressive legislation re: free speech (*hate speech*) and the whole woke agenda.

Helen is truly dreadful.

Maybe you see her as the next Taoiseach, but I seriously hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I knew her father and I believe that man is turning in his grave at the promises not met by her government.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

being a landlord isn't the same as working a regular job.

it's passive income.

nothing stopping the landlord from getting a job like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

You'd want to be some ass to be a landlord in this country, if you met a troublesome tenant they would make your life a misery, I'd end up praying they'd die of carbon monoxide poisoning or a car crash just to get the bastards out, why would anyone to put themselves through that

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK everyone - please discuss the policy and not the politician

• Advertisement

nobody is forced to be a landlord. instead of looking for sympathy, they could always sell the property or get a job.

a lot of bellyaching from the poor landlords who are forced into renting out properties...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

If everyone just bought a house we wouldn't need landlords.

I’m not laughing at you, but I’m finding it incredibly difficult to take you seriously when you come out with wishful thinking like imagining that Government are going to purchase the properties of landlords because of the introduction of legislation to protect tenants from eviction on a temporary basis!

Changing the law when it suits, without compensation to whom? It’s not unconstitutional in any case! The specifics of any new legislation might be unconstitutional, which is why the Government is seeking the advice of the AG on the matter.

On the contrary - landlords aren’t treated any differently to any other business. They provide a service in accordance with Irish law, which is subject to change. I’m not a member of the bleeding hearts brigade so I don’t feel one ounce of sympathy for landlords who can’t manage their business and start cribbing because they’re not able to turn a profit. That’s business, and if they can’t run a business, they don’t deserve to be in business. I’ve said it recently and I’ll say it again here because the same thing applies - Government are not a charity, don’t expect them to act like one.

The Government are expected to run the country, and the irony of the current Government is that they delivered on all the easy stuff in legislation, and they’re even more unpopular now than they were going into Government, having made it easy for people to vote SF! Be some sport if they get in, you’ll really want to brace yourself for the worst, because they’re not going to make it any easier on landlords 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

You're right of course, the tenants should just get a better paying job and build or buy a house thus doing away with landlords altogether

Plenty of landlords have jobs and run other businesses and they know how to handle their business too so that they aren’t stuck with tenants over-holding or cribbing about measures to protect tenants from eviction during the winter months.

Then there are the landlords who don’t have the first clue about being a landlord, and when they find themselves in trouble they want Government to bail them out while calling everyone else bleeding hearts 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The only thing a ban on evictions will do is make up a lot of landlords minds to get out of the business leaving tenants both good and bad in a worse situation.

Friends of ours have just left a property having been served notice. Their landlady is living in the UK and claimed that they needed to move back however a neighbour has informed us that she has been asked to keep an eye on the place. After years of renting excessive regulations convinced her to get out and to get around the vacant tax they'll just claim to live there.

Another family home taken from the rental market. Well done government

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Make an eviction ban only for those up to date with their payment (both private and council).

I don't see why those who pay their way should be treated the same as those who don't.

Renting is the norm in Europe.

People should be able to rent for life if they want to.

In this country, it's made difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not often I’d stick up for landlords but if a person is not meeting their obligations as part of a contract….

unless she’s planning upping the rent supplements …. I can’t see how she can just say to landlords “ when they have it you’ll get it, you cannot evict, tough “…..

Need to be a sensible deterrent for those not paying their way.

• Advertisement

so instead of abiding by the rental market regulations, they've exited the market and are lying to avoid paying the vacancy tax?

sounds like tax dodging

Advertisement