Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hometruths_real

I don't think it's a case of not caring, it's more the fact things are never black and white and sometimes it's picking the least bad situation

if everything was rainbows and sunshine the good vs bad argument would be a lot easier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

If you look at operation to capture Lyman, they expected they would capture up to 5,000 Russians. The interviews with the people in Lyman indicate the Russians left mostly in good order. They will take casualties in a retreat, the attacking side will take more losses, which is the point draw out the attacker and degrade them over time. Then in a few months they will have more men, equipment repaired, restocked and be able to advance once more. That looks like the plan to me, most likely they will hold the oblasts they have captured.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

I don't agree with you on that prediction. I'm sure you are a great authority on how geopoliotics works but the russians have shown themselves to be such evil invaders and occupiers with their actions that no politician with the exception of Donald Trump and a couple of e** ts from Ireland would feel comfortable showing themselves as being on putin's side.

putin is already in a corner. I assume the obvious reasons you say he shouldn't be there is the threat he keeps wheeling out about nuclear war but to appease him will simply see him continue to use these threats and with a failing economy and the real prospect of the russian federation falling apart sending weapons to Ukraine until russia is no longer occupying all of its territories is the best route for the US to weaken the russian military and decreasing the chance of russia continuing to build putin's empire.

Post edited by macraignil on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You know what, there'll be an opening for you soon enough in the Kremlin. Putin seems fond of replacing command staff and there's quite a high attrition rate. If I were you, I'd pop a CV in the post and you could get the gig :)

i don’t think they’ll have the natural resources to make them at the rate they researched, developed and produced combustion engines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,576 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If the reported death and injury (2.5k and 5k respectively) rate of Russian troops continue I cannot see how this war isï sustainable for Russia. Even if these rates of attrition half Russia will be unable to keep this war going.

Logistics are not looking good either. It's seems unable to arm the new mobilized troops. IMO this winter will be extremely harsh on Russian troops in Ukraine. They will be too easy to target by the artillery system Ukraine has.

I think the Kherson enclave will crumble in the next few weeks, after that so another part of the line will collapse and then another.

Russia's hope to defend in depth is only myth. It's losing troops and equipment too fast. They may get the troops out but they are failing to get equipment and materials out.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Currently it's suspected the Ukrainians used some sort of boat or marine drone to carry this attack out, which likely was their own tech.

I heard an ex-US Colonel saying that the death rate Ukraine : Russia is at least 5 : 1... sounds very high... Are they any neutral figures estimates for this ?

I think he means all the attacks that were going on in the Donbas on the Russian-speaking population before the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

The big question about Putin's replacement, is what kind of Russia will he leave after him? The economy is tanking, people are leaving in droves, and especially key workers of all descriptions. Then we come to the state of the Military, from what we are hearing (and seeing in some cases) it's not in good shape, on the contrary...scavenging the prisons for soldier's and elsewhere for even basic weapons and ammunition, and that's before we even get to clothing and food. and on top of all this, support for Putins war is on the wane, So what would his replacement do? call a halt to the war, or accelerate it? Thats the 10'0000-dollar question, but I would not automatically assume that continuation of the war will be the path chosen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,095 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

These are the neutral estimates, from academia and think tanks like the Royal United Services Institute. I mean, yes, they are all based in the West, but you'd hardly except honesty or free expression of bad news from Moscow.

Look, when you're lied to, badly trained, badly equipped and supplied, badly led, cold, hungry and receive a hostile reception from a populace who you were promised would greet you as liberators - your motivation and morale are going to be through the floor and when it is, soldiers die in big numbers.

Honestly, 5:1 could be a significant underestimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

The sheer amount of abandoned heavy equipment and stockpiles of ammunition that the Russians didn't even have time to destroy in the Kharkiv areas that were re-captured suggests the Russians were running for their lives, it will be hard to rebuild these stocks and the critical loss in morale. It also shows that Russia is effectively fighting blind as far as intelligence and recon goes, they weren't able to detect or predict these counter-attacks, which shows the rot in the ranks also extends to the very top. The Russian army is in a desperate state, it's failing to hold never mind rebuild. I suspect you either don't know what you are talking about or are a propogandist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Evidence of Ukrainian Genocide by Russian forces are uncovered whenever a town is liberated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

The "Final Solution" regarding Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine, will be decided by Ukraine, and no one else. And rightly so. The biggest mistake where Putin was concerned,was not hitting him, and hitting him as hard as possible when he started his illegal land grabs. Here we see the results of that failure to react to him.

There was a stage where the border between Ukraine and Russia was just seen as a formality and people from both populations moved between countries for work, marriage, vacation, trade etc. The question then is how did this start? Within Russia there is an active nationalist faction, that has it's own imperialist ambitions and wants to recreate the Soviet Union, you are talking about a country where Stalin is popular among a majority of the population. Politically the nationalists have been very active and it is something the Russian ruling class i.e. the Siloviki has been willing to use. Within Ukraine there is also an extreme nationalist faction, mostly originating in the Western Ukraine. Before all this the economic power in Ukraine is split between Kiev, Dnipro and Donetsk. The Ukrainian oligarchs fell out among themselves and used politics to advance their business. The fate of the Russian speaking populations in "near Russia", has an impact on Russian domestic politics that would cost Putin if he ignored it. The power struggles in Ukraine opened the door for the Russian invasion.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm happy with 5:1. Can't see myself expending any effort trying to fix something I don't see as broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

On the US ending or reducing support for Ukraine in the winter...What's this "domestic leftist violence"? [Ant-eee-fah?]

How is Biden a lame duck? I thought he was doing okay given the constraints of the creaking US political system and fact that the opposing party/"loyal" opposition has left the reservation for good & don't seem to believe in maintaining democracy any longer when they don't win the votes.

edit: On a "lack of (US public) support for the war" (presume you mean a lack of support for US assistance to Ukraine) I got impression it was quite a popular policy, even in the Republican base. The efforts of some Republican "thought leaders" to push pro Russia/pro Putin messages, spread various conspiracy theories and undermine legitimacy of US support for Ukraine doesn't seem to have worked so well.

Who are the Republican "war hawks"? The only war hawks on Ukraine are of course the Russians and Putin...US is just following the standard post-WW1 onwards policy in Europe of supplying (selling or giving) military support + weapons to countries coming under threat from revisionist, aggressive dictatorships with designs on conquering lands and peoples that do not belong to them and don't want to be ruled over by them. Nothing very hawkish there IMO.

The ones trying to break the existing US foreign policy mould are some of the US Republicans who would happily leave Ukraine and Europe to swing in the wind + like you seem to have a bit of admiration for Vladimir Putin.

A source I found with google for your image was a Russian UN rep. on Twitter, https://twitter.com/dpol_un. This account was retweeting someone else who said they got it from (what looks like) another pro-Russia/pro-Putin disinfo account. Account linked has also "retweeted" our own Mick Wallace! You're really doing the lord's work posting it up here to correct a "narrative"!

Post edited by fly_agaric on

My post probably isn't clear. He meant 5 Ukrainians dying for every 1 Russian. He was saying that the Russians lose ground but retreat to where they can take a lot of the Ukrainians out. That Ukraine is gaining a lot of territory but at a huge cost in terms of manpower.

Occam's razor: They received still classified drone/autonomous surface vessels from the US around May.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I don't think that's true ,

I don't see boat or water Drone doing this, Id be looking at the train first to rule out a freak accident, it wasn't the truck either,

But we don't see impact damage on the train or bridge from a missle or other munition

• Advertisement

For sure they have underperformed, their logistics is terrible. The regular Russian army has not yet folded in Kherson, despite being in a crap situation they have held, this demonstrates they can fight. I would not could them out yet, and history shows they have colossal f!ckups before and have been able to come back with reforms and sheer numbers. This is what they will attempt to do between January and April. The expected order is that Ukraine makes as much gains as it can before mud season bogs them down, there is a long pause before the Winter war.

They 'underperformed' in the same way the Challenger space launch 'underperformed'. You don't need even basic logistics to fire a few RPG rounds into your rocket and shell warehouse so they aren't captured. Sheer numbers, not so sure about that either. Calling up 300,000 led to mass panic and protests, Ukraine has a population of 44 million to draw from and had to turn countless volunteers away.

Ah, well that's different. Got a link? Wouldn't happen to be one of those paid traitors, by any chance?

I can't see there being the obvious high morale among the Ukrainian military if they were suffering such losses. They are positively ebullient.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,576 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I disbelieve that completely. I expect the reverse figures. According to those figures Ukraine would have lost 12.5k troops last week and have 36k wounded.

Technology is wining this war not manpower.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Big explosion and fire reported near Yevpatoriya

Dundalk, Co. Louth

True, but we can't see the section of road underwater. There was a photo going around purported to show the underside of the bridge with little to no blast or fire damage, unlike the top deck of both road sections. So I am also now leaning towards something from above. It wasn't the train though, that has little blast damage which would make the collapse of the road section furthest away from it very puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Surely if Russia held territory, then tactically retreated to a position so that they could kill 5 times as many Ukrainian soldiers as they themselves take as casualties, then it would be relatively trivial for them to advance against the decimated Ukrainians and retake the territory they just retreated from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭josip

The hurt is palpable with the Russian sympathisers tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement