Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The silly thing about all this is that a lot of it is easily fixed.

Everything stems from midfield. Everything.

If we invest in midfield as soon as possible, this season is salvageable. It doesn't mean forgiveness for the stupidity of not doing anything in the summer, but they can still put things somewhat right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Looks utterly frustrated during interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I don't see why anyone is getting worked up over that interview. Did ye expect him to be doing cartwheels or something. If anything he was slightly more positive than I'd expect after another defeat. People do love to blow things out of proportion after a loss.

Klopp was spot on.

Better team first half with silly moments that cost us.

Wretched in the 2nd half and the penalty was very soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Henderson & Gabriel

Henderson said something that really angeres him a few players where around and no one else reacted, although Firmino was looking at Henderson looking a bit puzzled

Gabriel seems to be indicating to Xhaka that Henderson made an unsavory comment

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

The post match with BT sport's he seemed a wreck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Interview with Waterford whisper he looked like he was on the verge of quitting.

I thought Jurgen looked unwell today very thin & a bit frazzled in his answers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Saw him speaking with someone from The Onion and he was in tears. Poor guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Very odd decision for Matip and VVD to go up for the free kick just befor half time and left us vulnerable to the counter attack. If it was a corner fine. You've started poorly, got level and playing ok. Just get in level at least and start again.

Not sure where we go from here to be honest. Nobody is playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Klopp looks like a man seriously stressed and under pressure. Totally understandable.

Squad decisions taken coming home to roost in a massive way.

Can the group stop the rot to save champions League qualification? That's the only relevant q left really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

We're still in every competition going, with less than 25% of the season played and folk are pessimistic about 4th? There's a long way to go yet. Anything is possible. They just need to remember how to defend. Don't concede and we'll win more than we'll lose given our forwards and the chances they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The team just looks so tired. Physically and mentally.

No press anymore.

Can't imagine the dressing room is a nice place right now. Who is the fresh blood giving the boost to the old heads?

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We're still in every competition going

Lol, that's a new level of hopeless optimism. We're in every competition going because nobody has been knocked out of any competition we have played in so far. What do you think this has to do with getting 4th?

Winning more than we lose will not be sufficient to get 4th at this stage. I don't understand how people can't see this. To get 4th at this stage we need to go on a long run of wins, and we have seen nothing, literally nothing, to suggest we are capable of putting together this sort of winning streak.

In previous seasons there were a few teams could cause us a few issues. This season it feels like literally anyone could beat us. It feels like the pre-Klopp Liverpool. Every week you are worried about losing.

Next week we will 100% lose, the first time you can say that against City in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

If anything as season goes on we are looking more likely to fall further off 4th than catch it based on these performances, lose next week and 10 points from 9 games which is near relegation form . Its clear there are major problems all over the pitch which worryinly klopp doesnt seem to know how to fix.

We have the oldest squads 11 squads in the prem with too many key players the wrong side of 30, our captain, VVD, trent, Fab and salah playing so badly then a real shout to drop them. The squad needs a major overhaul but its hard to see fsg supporting klopp to get the players he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gabriel barely speaks a word of English, and even I struggle with Henderson's accent, so how the hell would he even understand what Henderson said, Henderson doesn't look bothered in video, he hasn't a clue Gabriel is calling him a racist to the ref. SOmething was misheard, but of course the FA will punish Henderson, as you have to make an example, and Gabriel will insist he heard something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,045 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mad to see some lads writing something like top 4 off with 3/4s of the season left. It's like some people have never watched us before! Any sort of title challenge was written off before christmas last year. Top 4 was written off the year before during our even worse collapse.

The present is not forever. Things change. Not saying we'll get it for sure or anything obviously, but this team even during the worst of times has earned the benefit of the doubt that they can turn things around.

Yesterday summed up what many of us complained about i and the summer & we where laughed at & and called moaners for saying it

We stock piled midfielders that aren't good enough or aren't available enough so much so the manger now ops to play just two,

Then we play 4 attacker &, seeing as we let 38 goals go in the summer in Mane, Origi, & Taki & only brought in Nunez we ended up bringing on two midfielders when chasing the game for forwards as we simply had none left to bring on

Then at RB no real competition was bought for Trent so 5 seasons on he's still being replaced with a CB

Remember it's just October

The club, Klopp & the tranfer committee have failed, Its bizarre when idiots like us seen it coming miles away (Ramsey & Carvalho are kids not competition for a team at our level)

What was it one poster said about real supporters and fans? Kinda looks a bit foolish now as all Liverpool supporters/fans, even the ones that think they know the most, recognise the issues with the team and the failure to add new top class players to an aging squad. Issues pointed out when Gini left. They should have added one top replacement that summer, and another this past summer instead of wringing the last drop out of the current squad and expecting them to perform at the same level this season.

Watching Kloop’s interviews last night was worrying, it’s like he is struggling to see how they can get out of this funk. I really hope it was just emotion and the dangling nerves immediately after that match, but it’s the first time I’ve thought to myself, this guy might actually walk away if the players are not following him anymore. As others have said, he did not look well.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

A huge issues is how do you get out of it when you have no options to change things

Right now we only has 3 midfielders he can rely & he can't play them all for 90 minutes because that means they can't play the next game,

We where laughed at for slaughtering Elliot all of a sudden he is no where near the starting line up because what we where saying was correct ,

In the attacking sense we let 3 full internationals go in the summer & replaced them with 1 its utter madness,

Klopp done amaizng to get us in such a brilliant position as a club & recruitment has completely undone it ,

Just on positive notes

Firmino has been bloody brilliant & fair play to him , His goal yesterday was a stunning finish, Now a days you see lots of CF's re -find form in there early 30's just maybe Bobby is doing that ,Confidence is a funny thing you have normally great players Trent & Mo totally lacking it & then you have Bobby full of it & finishing like we haven't seen in years

Trent for all his issues currently at least he is still trying , Last week we seen Varane "hurt" against City & come off not for the first time when the chips are down & his team are getting battered, Trent clearly hurt himself while playing poorly & never looked for a way out in the first half, So at least you can see he has the right mentality

Nunez looked like a proper CF in the last two games, The only issues is it only last 45 minutes in both game, but that's lack of game time & the pace of the game here, He will only get better fitness wise,

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Nunez looks like your Vardy type - hang on the shoulder of the last man and run into space behind. We haven't really played like that before so it's no coincidence he hasn't played well to date. We need to play that to get the best out of him. I thought his hold up play was poor yesterday and in the second half the ball kept coming back at us. That's not his game however and we shouldn't expect it of him yet anyway.

Trent looks like he has gone from mentally and physically tired to complete lack of confidence and mentally shattered. In the first games he wasn't getting back, making the effort required now he's all over the shop - calling for offsides that were clearly onside, mad run and sold easily by Martenelli. If we had a credible replacement, he would have been dropped/rested weeks ago.

It's very hard to know what to do. I think playing 4 forward players is too much, it's asking the midfield 2 to do too much. You'll get away with it with Rangers, Bournemouth, etc.

At this stage who knows what to do? Maybe go back to been defensively solid and play counter attacking football with Salah and pace. If we can't press like we've done previously and we get picked apart so easily, I'm not sure what else to do.

• Advertisement

I reckon its just fitness with Nunez , It was the same against Rangers brilliant first half & disappeared,

He covered a lot of ground & made a lot of sprints in both them first halfs, He needs games,

I was all for Jota starting left wing before the game but i must admit we lost Diaz's ability to carry the ball in the second half,

He was the one picking up the ball beating a player or just keeping the all to get attacks going ,without the 3 midfielders he was vital ,

I think with him missing now Klopp will be forced back to 3 midfielders just to keep the ball ,

I wonder what will be done in regards to MO ,

Its obvious he is being asked to play further away from goal & its not working ,He has some great moments still but we need him between the full backs & CBs getting goals

What looked like a friendly chat at full time between the Brazilians now in hindsight looks like a inquest into what happened with Henderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

You have no idea what is going on why are you making things up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What did i make up ? Can you read ?? please explain what i made up ?

I said "it looks like ", so of course we have no idea what's going on ,

Yes I can read thanks very much. You are jumping to conclusions as always

Ok so then clarify your comment what did i make up ?

You have no idea what is going on why are you saying anything about what it looks like?

Now not sure if you seen the first incident but after seeing it, then chat between the 4 Brazilians "looks like" they are discussing what happened ,

It looks like =  to have an appearance that is very similar

So i have not made up anything as we do not know either, hence why i said "LOOKS LIKE"

Again what have i MADE UP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I'd be very interested to know what Pep Lijnders input to this set up is. Is his influence increasing all of the time?

The refusal to simply get back to basics quicker is baffling. Smacks of trying to be too clever too frequently.

Our full backs acting as wingers, pushing opposition wide men back, has been sussed, it has been against really good teams for about 2.5 years. The bang average sides have worked it out now too. It was always a balancing act, where if one part was missing, the house of cards could falls.

Full backs playing as auxiliary wingers, an energetic and relentless midfield pressing hard, winning ball for a front 3 who interchanged and were also aggressive in creating openings on turnovers. When even one piece is missing, the next is out of kilter. When 2-3 pieces of that philosophy is missing, then it results in bang average performances where we are overrun at times.

TAA is really not an option at full back for a team like ours where our midfield are stretched. The tactics are suicidal. And its not just pointing the finger at Trent, exposing him in these 2-3 on 1 situations is showing his limitations. Really don't know why we don't revert back to getting the basics quickly, solid back 4 who don't roam, keep things compact, we have attackers who can create and score on the break, but I guess things are so toxic in our engine room that we are simply caught between 2 stools.

Loyalty to certain players is absolutely killing us. I'd imagine the managers methods are quite taxing (not a criticism by the way), its a very high intensity environment and we simply don't refresh enough. How many times are some of these guys willing to go to the well, especially in midfield. And lets be completely honest, midfield in a Klopp team is a dog of a role, he doesn't expect many goals from midfield, he expects alot of selfless work, hard running and pressing. With the same players, this message is harder to convey, asking the same guys to sacrifice. Pep and Klopp traditionally have never signed former players, it easier to sell your vision to new blood, the magic doesn't necessarily work when you have heard it all before.

It looks like any attempt to evolve from this type of approach is causing us to come unstuck, as our defence are almost used to being more casual, due to the sting being taken out of alot of breaks by our own midfield before the wolf reaches the defences door. With a non existent midfield, our defence looks utterly incapable of dogging it out, or coping with any kind of pressure, they are mostly forward thinking players.

Hugely frustrating, it seems the only solution management will be able to muster are to find players who fit the "Klopp template" in midfield, but I fear we have been well and truly sussed out tactically. And having to get it spot on year in year out with transfers (with very little margin for error in the transfer market) must be exhausting.

Wanting top level players with lots of data available, for a price we deem reasonable, who only want us and don't want 2022 wages (the optimum of minimising transfer risk). This subset of variables is getting slimmer and slimmer and a club like us cannot afford to get it wrong and that is killing us, when other clubs (even non oil funded clubs can seemingly right transfer wrongs quite quickly).

We are going in circles here, you could have said 4 fellow country men just chatting but you want to get the scope on everything. It could have been anything.

You said i made something up , which i didn't

All i said was in hindsight it looks like they could be talking the Henderson incident ,

You just want to jump down someone throat for no apparent reason

Lets move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

How does it look like they are talking about Henderson?

• Advertisement

As you rightly point out its falling apart because the foundations are gone ( midfield)

Remember Roma at home champions league Semi final we battered them & De Rossi said 3 dogs in midfield made it impossible,

Now the only 3 that can be relied on in there have no legs, Fab,Thagio & Henderson , We need our legs back ,

Full backs haven't even had the planform to get on the ball in forward area's this season,

Loyalty to players has killed us

Phillips, Gomez, Milner, Ox , Naby , Jones, Arthur, Elliot all in my opinion could all be replaced & not missed a all ,

It may sound like a contradiction but id keep Firmino if he's willing to be back up

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Very well put, sums up alot of my thoughts aswell. Lijnders book was pretty ill timed aswell, seems like a pretty intense character and his deference to Trent as "his captain" was pretty cringe. Seems like he has really earned the trust of the manager though.

There most definitely is a FA investigation into the incident with Henderson and Gabriel, Michael Oliver went over to speak to rival managers Mikel Arteta and Jurgen Klopp following the incident, nothing made up about it, and the Brazilian players were definitely having a debate, rather than a chat.

But like I said I barely understand Henderson most of the time, how is Gabriel who doesn't speak English suppose to. I hope it's sorted without Henderson getting labelled by the FA, John Terry was guilty as sin over racial abuse he aimed at Anton Ferdinand, clear as day. all on tape, no confusion there. This incident with Henderson is Gabriel hearing something and reacting, while Henderson is wondering what the fuss is about, clueless as to what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I thought it looked like the Brazilians were talking about which ones of them were going to miss out on World Cup places. Now that Bobby is the inform Brazilian goal scorer in the premier League.

i'm weirdly at peace with where we're at.

the club has done this to itself. they had a top 3 manager of his generation, and they thought he would keep producing miracles with a squad that was being rung of all of it's energy over the last 5 years, trying to keep up with the wall of money in Manchester.

we got away with it in Covid season by getting into the top 4.

will we get away with it this time?

if we don't, then we'll be where we deserve. it's quite obvious that the Premier League is awash with money. clubs are spending like it's going out of fashion. Arsenal will have you believe they're an underdog story, but they have spent squillions on that squad to overhaul it into a talented, and the youngest, team in the EPL. Nottingham Forest are spending. Utd continued to spend. City spent hundreds of millions on Haaland through all the fees. Chelsea spent ridiculously.

we essentially relied on Klopp to continue to get the most out of slowly ageing players who spent all they had on last season's run.

we're getting what we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Good post and I agree with all this, we won the CL in 2019 and bought Elliot, Van Den Berg and Adrian. For me, the issues go back to then when we were in a position to attract anyone and should have been adding 1/2 a window.

We are at a crossroads now and it will take investment to get us back into contention, I don't see that happening as FSG have always stated that only profit goes into the team so it is mainly a sell to buy approach, if FFP was enforced then it might be ok.

The January transfer window will tell a lot as getting top 4 this year will be tough but it will be tougher next year. The reason being is that Newcastle will get Europe this year, CL next year and then will start to compete with City. They have Utd & Spurs away in their next 3 games, if they do ok in those then they might spend big in January to try and speed up CL football.

On a positive note, Nunez for me looks a player, yesterday at 1-1 with a corner just before HT we looked like the side to win it, any half decent RCM in January and we can get top 4 as outside of City, the others will drop plenty of points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

@Infoseeker1975 We are at a crossroads now and it will take investment to get us back into contention, I don't see that happening as FSG have always stated that only profit goes into the team so it is mainly a sell to buy approach

Just wondering about this point. Are Liverpool even investing all their profit into the team? They seem to spend very little. Klopp has only spent about £480m*, £60m a year, and that’s not even taking sales into consideration

*not sure if this figure is accurate. Taken from transfermarkt but I had a look at Arteta’s too and that’s definitely way off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They just built a state of the art training ground and have and are in the process of renovating two side of Anfield over the last 6 years costing hundreds of millions.

The issue there is most fans want that money spent on players and don't care about training grounds or staduim renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Throwing the cash at Mo and then changing his role in the team is a bit nuts..... Saw this in the paper earlier...we've failed to win any of our opening four away Premier League games for the first time since 2010-11, under Roy Hodgson 🤮

• Advertisement

Is it just me or does the way we are being run look like we are been set up to be sold ?

Klopp new contract, Salah given contracts , training ground updated, stadium updated ,all our biggest assets being improved or tie down, Mane, Origi, Taki all went last summer & replaced by one in Nunez, Carvlho , Ramsey big save in wages there, Milner ,Ox,Naby ,Firmino , departing in next, is the wage bill coming down & players are not being replaced,

To me i get the feeling FSG are building us to make a big sale & gain a huge profit on what they bought us for ,

Advertisement