Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to do 'everything' to prevent evictions - McEntee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

The only thing that sticks in my craw is the length of time it takes to evict, after 3 missed payments they should be out with their bags and possessions

It's easy see why people are leaving houses idle when you'd hear some horror stories about bad tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

.. and if its not selling...

See not selling.

One the one hand you talk about tenants in Situ having no effect. Then you talk about having to take whatever offer they can get.

At time of historic high prices, that some compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So we appear to be making some progress. It seems you appear to have realised that it was not in fact the case that all the exits were locked and then people were told to leave.

If I'm in a place where there are 20 exits and they start locking one extra one every month ... well common sense might tell me that if I want to get out that I should go before they lock the last one.......

There is still nothing preventing anyone from selling any property btw. If you are a landlord and you don't want to be, you can stick your property up on an auction site tomorrow if you want. There is no law against it.

Well if you don't want to do a deal at what you are being offered, then that is your choice. It is the same for anything. As the owner of a property it is you that accepts (or rejects) an offer.

Tenants have rights. They also have possession of the property which is their home. These are not new concepts. If people take a chance, and get stung, they can't be complaining about it afterwards.

• Advertisement

So even Trump Donal is saying LL its times to end those tenancies. The rational exits are closing.

If any individual is not able to manage in any particular enterprise, then they should consider getting out of that enterprise, or trying to upskill so that they can cope. Others who can manage will take their place.

If you (general) are a landlord and cannot cope, and/or have difficulty understanding the rules and regulations and find yourself being constantly surprised by them, then you can indeed sell your property. With or without tenant in-situ. If you want to keep the property vacant and pay a vacant levy, then that might be also an option for you (although probably not a sensible one). If you have a tenant in-situ, and you want to get rid of them, then you have the framework for doing so. The conditions relating to when you can do it, and under what circumstances you can do it, are laid out clearly.

You are going on about exits being closed. All the exists that were ever there are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Well this thread is about the government trying to stop evictions as per ministers remarks and news sources today, they can't change the rules when there's a little hardship and expect landlords not to complain

Flee he says, Give notice and run not walk, run to those exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make as though the property not selling is the same as the landlord not being able to offer the property for sale? It’s not selling because nobody wants to buy it for whatever reason, could be its location, condition, there are tenants in situ, or just the fact that the asking price for the property is more than anyone is willing to pay.

In relation to tenants in situ and the effect on the sale of the property, I did not say it had no effect, I specifically said -

Now whether or not having tenants in situ has any impact on the value of the property is another matter entirely, but a far greater factor in the valuation of the property would be the location and condition of the property, not the fact there are tenants in situ.

In relation to taking whatever they can get, that was in reference to the idea of if they wanted a quick sale, they are more willing to take whatever they can get. There has never been a time when properties weren’t priced out of most people’s ability to afford to buy, so the idea of current market prices being historically high isn’t saying much, they were always historically high, it was just a question of affordability as to whether or not people could afford to buy properties or not.

Historically speaking, most weren’t willing to take what they could get, and the gap between those who could afford to buy property and those who could not, has widened enormously, because of amateur landlords and amateur investors imagining they could make a killing on the property market… tore the arse out of it altogether which meant most people couldn’t even afford to rent, let alone buy property.

Landlords aren’t willing to let their properties go for less than they imagine their properties are worth, as though they imagine they should be able to sell their properties for a much higher price than they bought them for, which isn’t always the case, and certainly not the case in the current economic climate where buyers who can afford to buy property aren’t going to want to pay more than they imagine any property is worth, which is usually less than the landlord who wants to sell up and get out of the business is asking for.

• Advertisement

Well regardless what they say, both the govt (and now TrumpDonald) are shouting LEAVE.

Well since you can't change the location of a property you already own. You can't change the condition of a property signicantly enough to make a difference with a tenant in situ. Considering it devalues the property considerably. It would seem for rental having a tenant in situ is probably the most signicantly change you can make.

Another vote for sell, and sell now out of the rental with no tenant in situ.

Seems like no one on this thread agrees with the Govt.

Does it? Obviously buyers who want the property for themselves aren’t going to be interested in buying a property with tenants in situ, but that’s not devaluing the property, it’s one of the factors which can have an impact on the sale of the property and who might be interested in buying the property. I suggested another landlord or someone interested in an investment property, I didn’t suggest anyone was obligated to buy the property.

I agree with what the Government are trying to do (even if it is a last gasp attempt to steal a play from the SF playbook to remain in power), because it means that people who would previously have been at risk of eviction and becoming homeless during winter should be less likely to be in that situation they would have been in previously if they are renting and the landlord decides to evict them.

A landlord who’s running their business responsibly isn’t going to be troubled should the proposal become legislation. On the other hand the small handful of amateur landlords are invariably going to get their knickers in a bunch about yet more regulation which they see as making extra work for them 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

What's with all the alarmists claiming landlords will not be able to evict non-paying tenants?

He was a good man hounded to his death , she has big cajones following him in this line of work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Well in geological terms yes not sure in human Probably. I know we tend to use in living memory as a reference.

A neutral observer would say the only way to predict if these policies (that you and the govt support) will work, is by judging the results of previous policies and the overall trend. The overall trend is only getting worse and the crisis deepening. its gone from crisis to catastrophic. Speaks for itself.

Iceberg ahead. Full steam ahead you say. Good luck with that.

The previous precedent of moratorium on evictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

That was covid was it not where were they supposed to go ? esp when gov could not tell you from week to week if you needed to stay inside.

A neutral observer wouldn’t say anything, that’s the whole point of them being a neutral observer - they observe, and they don’t give an opinion either way.

You’re obviously not a neutral observer, because in your opinion the policies which were previously in effect which prevented landlords from evicting tenants while the legislation was in effect, didn’t work. They clearly did work, because landlords were prevented from evicting tenants while the legislation was in effect! The exception was when the RTB determined a dispute in favour of the landlord, then the tenancy agreement between the landlord and the tenant could be terminated.

I don’t know what overall trend you’re referring to or what crisis or catastrophe you’re talking about when the proposal being suggested by Government was only ever approved once before as an emergency measure during the pandemic, and is now being proposed to come into effect during the winter months to prevent landlords from evicting tenants during the period the legislation is in effect.

Going by the only time it has been in effect before, it worked, and that’s why it’s being proposed again now. It’s a temporary measure, it’s not permanent, and any landlord who is threatening to sell up on the basis of the temporary measures being proposed, was either thinking about getting out of the business long before now, or far more likely they’re just bluffing and hoping Government will take them seriously enough not to go through with the proposal.

I think it’s safe to say Government doesn’t give a shiny shyte about amateur landlords making idle threats.

• Advertisement

" ..don’t know what overall trend you’re referring to or what crisis or catastrophe ..."

If there no crisis of any kind. Then there's no need to change any legislation.

"....We do not want another situation where we have even more people leaving the market in that regard, because we need these type of landlords,...she said...."

So you're saying she actually means the opposite of this. Please leave the market.

Seems like everyone agrees. There was a fall in new tenancies by a third at the start of the year, last figures I could find for a month or so a go it had fallen to 50% and still falling.

Going well.

At this stage I’m not sure there’s any point in again correcting your misinterpretation and putting words in my mouth, while still refusing to read what I’ve actually written.

The reason for the introduction of the legislation, is to prevent landlords from evicting tenants during the winter months, thereby reducing the risk of tenants becoming homeless during the period the legislation is in effect. It’s not intended to address any crisis or whatever else you’re talking about. It’s a short-term, temporary measure, intended only for the period it is in effect.

I didn’t say Helen McEntee personally means anything. I referred to Government as not giving a shiny shyte, about amateur landlords making idle threats. It’s clearly not the same statement.

Your last paragraph appears to be apropos of nothing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The only way mortgages will come down in this country to anywhere near EU averages and attract new banks to provide mortgages is if it's easier to fook freeloaders out on their hole, if you have not been able to pay your mortgage for 6 months you should be out on your hole. We pay one of the highest mortgage rates in the EU as the freeloaders have to be accommodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Government pandering here. There will always be genuine cases for consideration, but this message really is a free for all type screw you, Mr. Landlord. No need whatsoever for the government to be so one-sided here.

We have winter months every year. We have homeless every year.

When something going on for years

"...first of these ‘Housing Needs Assessments’ took place in 1989 and found a total of 1,491 people homeless..."

That's not short term.

I'm not entirely sure why you can't join the dots here. It's not like supply of housing will solve homeless. But assuming it did. It's govt policy causing this crisis. You support those policies.

This is just politicial sop to push this can down the road. You want to pretty blind not to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The best thing she and her colleagues could do to alleviate the housing crisis would be to stop encouraging transformative levels of mass immigration.

Of course, further disempowering private landlords and driving them from the market is safer and easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

Thanks. I see you were making even less sense three hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

So is the idea to pause legitimate termination notices which were issued based on the laws currently in place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Not a fan of her at all. But as a Politician did you want her to say **** them let them live on the streets ?

She mentions further down you cant implement changes that will make landlords leave the market.

Advertisement