Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

I understand Ireland is part of the EU. Despite being totally against brexit I'm aware your preditions over the years of the UK being made to kneel before the EU and being over a barrel haven't come to pass to date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the same drivel he's been incessantly peddling for half a decade in his desperation for attention. Ireland cannot be expelled from the single market. It's that simple. What he's peddling is a Quisling fantasy.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Sorry, should have made clear (again) I don't agree with anything else that Kermit posted on former hobbyhorses (!) Just the specific point about Irish politicians getting somewhat excited, thinking this is a new dawn from UK govt., they are serious now & will finally implement NI protocol after agreeing something to ease its implementation with the EU. I just don't believe it. Time will tell anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's fair enough but the EU did most of the negotiating. I think any sign of moderation from the UK side needs to be welcomed. A few kind words cost nothing on the EU side. Terribly expensive here though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Talk about rehashing old discussions. What you and obviously Steve are missing is Brexit is a UK ambition, in their efforts to detangle themselves they agreed with the EU a way forward on many things. NI was one of those, the UK put it in black and white within the protocol. So what's the problem ? the UK just have to honor the agreement, if you think Coveney and Varadkar are softening to the deluded direction of the UK then think again. They have both proven they have the ability to run rings around the UK political elite, I doubt that will change considering the current leadership the poor UK people have to suffer.

The UK have a choice, implement the NI protocol or risk a trade war with the EU, it is that simple, the EU and IRL are one, there are no busses to be thrown under. My best guess is the UK will try frame the NI protocol in a different light, one that appeases the tory hardliners and wins support from the voter base. Call it what you want, Varadkar and Coveney will run with it and say it's the EU softening, backing down, why ? well because they aren't interested in point scoring, if we get an open border with the NI and all that goes with it (EU wise) then we are happy. Let the UK play the childish games, nobody really cares.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Brexit means the UK will no longer be an equal partner. Little things will all add up. If the rover had been built in the US or EU it's much more likely to be used. If it ever comes down to a choice between keeping a function open in the UK or the EU there's no question which is more important politically.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Plus the UK have history wrt to Rovers.

Did they not send a Mars Rover before (2003 - Beagle2) and it failed to operate its solar panels and it was lost.

Plus anyone who owned a UK built Rover usually lived to regret it, particularly the Metro.

The UK Rover badge is so valuable and well loved, the the Chinese are going with MG.

Airbus is part owned by BAE systems,the largest defence contractor in Europe. The wings for all airbus aircraft are manufactured in Broughton and flown to Europe.Production is ramping up there so I'm surprised by your comments that Broughton isn't important.

Sam,you are aware Land rover was part of rover?Also,the earlier rovers were great cars,my Dad had a few over the years and it was like sitting on a big comfy settee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

@FraserburghFreddie said "Airbus is part owned by BAE systems,"

No it is not. BAE systems sold its share in Airbus over 15 years ago. ( at a discount)

That stake was sold off in 2006 as far as I know.

Industrial history is interesting but I'm not sure what it has to do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@FraserburghFreddie Did your Dad own a Rover Metro by any chance?

Rover as a marque was used after the British Leyland marque became toxic.

By the way, the Land Rover was originally built to get the UK Gov to release rationed steel for its production as it was to sell well in Africa - which it did.

However, the Land Rover contains a lot of aluminium and the steel was used to build Rover cars.

No but I did own an Austin mini metro back in the 80s, drove from Dublin to Waterford (took about six hours,no motorways back then) Mrs and I with five kids jumping about in the back-never missed a beat! 😀

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@FraserburghFreddie any chance you'll let us know the names of the two senior politicians who you said made those claims about the EU & NIP? The suspense is killing me!

I've linked to the Varadkar and Coveney articles. By all means, continue to beaver away Seth.

But Varadkar didn't say that. Your own source even confirmed that. He used the word "perhaps" which creates a very different context. I'm surprised that you're continuing to push your misleading stance there.

That Coveney agrees with Varadkars point of view is not saying that the protocol is too strict but "perhaps" it might be.

Is it that you do not understand English or are you being deliberately disingenuous?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is because the Rover name is still owned by Jaguar Landrover so they had to use MG, which did go with the purchase. They also sold cars domestically as Roewe with a lookalike badge.

I don't know if the other legacy brand names were sold but none have the name recognition of MG - Wolseley, Riley, Morris, Austin etc. Cars your grandad might have driven, whereas there are still mid 00s MGs going around.

And while you are at it, perhaps you might also give us a source for your other comments

@FraserburghFreddie "Airbus is part owned by BAE systems,the largest defence contractor in Europe. The wings for all airbus aircraft are manufactured in Broughton and flown to Europe.Production is ramping up there so I'm surprised by your comments that Broughton isn't important."

Seth,I've provided credible links from Irish and European sources.You continue to deny this and are becoming a time sink.If the RTE link provided is incorrect why hasn't anyone from the Irish government claimed they've been misquoted?

Your own link confirmed you to be wrong. You were also provided with a link to the video of Varadkar saying "perhaps".

Why do you continue to push the line that he said something else?

Varadkar did not say that the protocol is not working - end of.

I was wrong about BAE systems part owning Airbus. Comments about production at Broughton are correct.

• Advertisement

Yes but you made the statement in response to @Capt'n Midnight who said

Brexit means the UK will no longer be an equal partner. Little things will all add up. If the rover had been built in the US or EU it's much more likely to be used. If it ever comes down to a choice between keeping a function open in the UK or the EU there's no question which is more important politically.

So do you accept the point he made , that little things will add up. Wings for Airbus aircraft are also made in China and i think the US. It is not hard to see in the future a decision to move European manufacturing onto fewer, continental, sites. As he said "If it ever comes down to a choice between keeping a function open in the UK or the EU there's no question which is more important politically"

I suppose you could speculate airbus might build a wings facility in continental Europe but you could also speculate airbus sees its wing building and future technological advances in the UK.Here's a link detailing their expansion in the UK.

https://www.airbus.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2022-07-airbus-completes-assembly-of-first-future-wing-prototype

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Very tough for them to move something like that, would take a (political?) catastrophe to even consider shifting it quickly (e.g. an EU-UK trade war that spiralled out of control or some such might do it). A huge amount of inertia to overcome & I imagine Airbus is big enough and what it is making is crucial enough and expensive enough that it can deal with/bear extra admin load and hassle due to Brexit.

You can expect nothing "new" (e.g. new technology needed in future aircraft) will be sited in UK which doesn't need to be.

IMO one effect of Brexit, well maybe more the way UK has conducted it is it will be unlikely the larger EU states will work together on massive joint projects with the UK until there's been a big sea-change in political philosophy over there.

e.g. (new) things on scale of Concorde or the Channel Tunnel or Eurofighter project will not happen again while current rabid anti-EU political mood that's taken hold over in the UK lasts because while UK govt. protests otherwise it can't divorce strategy it has been adopting of undermining and disrupting or even exploding the EU apart from also doing very serious harm to its supposed "friends" in EU member states it would be working with on these projects.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You can expect nothing "new" (e.g. new technology needed in future aircraft) will be sited in UK which doesn't need to be.

This is one of the big things about Brexit - It's not necessarily that Companies will suddenly shutter facilities and move out , but it's that the UK locations will not grow or perhaps even be sustained over time.

Each time a company is looking at places to site more staff or to add production capacity , Brexit will be a very large tick in the "Con" column as they make the evaluations.

It may not always be enough of a negative to stop the investment , but it will always be there and likely be enough to stop quite a bit of future investment and employment going to the UK that ordinarily would have in pre-Brexit times.

Brexit will almost never be in the "pro" column as a reason to do business with the UK

Post edited by FraserburghFreddie on

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭farmerval

How can any global company take the UK seriously now. Six years of complete instability and no knowing how it will end. Will the UK stay outside of the EU single market? What about the customs union?

The whole Brexit debate is so toxic and going in ever decreasing circles, there's no way to see a good end, not even a good end but an end that may be acceptable to those that wanted Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is there a debate? Who is debating it beyond talking heads on the tv? Among ordinary people they are either Brexiters who will blindly continue the way they are going, or the rest who are fed up with the whole thing and trying to get on with their lives in spite of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So, the "Festival of Brexit" has gone down like a lead balloon, looks like the government spent about £500 per attending visitor, I'm sure there's a metaphor in there somewhere.

'Unadulterated shambles': Probe launched into £120m 'Festival of Brexit' | Politics News | Sky News

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Does anything ever come of these investigations in the UK? Will someone lose their job or political position?

• Advertisement

That was two prime ministers ago. (May)

Anyone responsible has moved on.

Advertisement