Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Just on the official dock, you are getting:

• Both DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 ports
      • Most docks only have DisplayPort 1.2, which doesn't support FreeSync
      • Also support DisplayPort MultiStream for even more monitors...
    • Included 45W charger
      • Worth around €20
    • Nice form-factor for the steam deck
    • Warranty/support from Valve

Obviously if you don't want or need any of this stuff, a standard USB-C dock/hub will do fine, but it's not a fair comparison with most cheaper ones on Amazon. I would question the need for some of these features with a Steam Deck, but then again it is just a PC, so do whatever you want with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭feargantae

I'm curious will the official dock work with Samsung Dex. With the cheap ones it can be hit or miss. Some of them even worth with the Nintendo Switch though that's a world of its own

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Got the 64GB version and proceeded to install a 512GB ssd this evening - that was an interesting exercise to say the least! Wouldn't recommend it unless someone is comfortable enough taking things apart or building PCs for example. An iFixit tool kit or equivalent is very handy too.

The outer screws and back case weren't too bad to remove but I could not remove one of the screws on the metal shielding inside the deck itself, didn't want to strip it trying either. Luckily it was the topmost screw so I was able to lift up the bottom end of the shielding enough to be able to unplug the battery and replace the ssd, all without damaging it.

Put everything back together and reflashed the OS. Once it rebooted back into the initial setup screen I noticed none of the buttons, joysticks or touchpads were working - only the touchscreen. Same thing is mentioned here https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xhr2kz/buttons_not_working_after_ssd_upgrade/, so I'm guessing that OS image you download from Steam is missing drivers etc. Connected to the wifi and then got an error saying the updates failed - stuck on black screen.

Not sure if this was because I had since removed the USB key that the OS was flashed from (doubt it). Rebooted back into the boot menu and the buttons were working fine. Boot menu was showing 512GB with Steam OS installed so I just exited out rather than reflash, it restarted and this time the installation/updates finished successfully and all controls working properly again. Phew!

Maybe I was just unlucky but I would recommend just buying the 512GB version if funds allow. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone know if GLS do Saturday deliveries? Missed my delivery thanks to me being at a wedding. Website says it’s out for delivery. Not sure if it’s today or Monday

• Advertisement

This message is on the GLS website just in case anyone here lives in these areas.

"Please note that we are expecting some delays in our deliveries for the West Cork areas which include Kinsale, Clonakilty, Dunmanway, Rosscarbery, Bantry and Schul due to operational reasons."

Which SSD did you buy?

Sounds terrifying almost bricking it

This was the one I got:

I wanted one that had fast delivery since my deck was already on the way. It was slightly cheaper than buying one direct from Dell (I think they might just be a rebranded Kioxia anyway) and it was faster delivery than others I saw. Ordered it Sunday Oct 2nd and it arrived yesterday (came from the US funnily enough).

Ah the process wasn't the worst when I think about, I was just unlucky with the one screw that wouldn't loosen (maybe I didn't apply enough force initially) - there's not that many steps involved so once you follow along it would be pretty strange for something to go badly wrong. The controls not working after the flash was just unexpected but seems quite normal after a quick google - it just needed the updates to finish correctly.

I know I said I'd recommend just buying the 512GB but €680 is a decent chunk of change and €260 more than the 64GB just for the increased space and that anti-glare screen - I wasn't pushed about the latter since I won't be playing the deck outside in the day.

In a fantastic turn of events GLS delivered my Deck today. Gonna have lots of fun with it tomorrow

Good to hear! Sorry I said earlier that they didn't deliver on Saturdays. Everything I read up about them said they didn't do Saturday deliveries but glad they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Dave mcdave

Where do people buy big capacity power banks in Ireland? Looking for a powerful one for the deck but most places don't seem to deliver here and the ones here seem to be quite low powered

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭ricimaki

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I've kept a casual eye on these (and this thread) since they were announced but never intended to buy one. The other day junior asked if I was buying one and I said no, but I then thought it'd make a great Christmas present...just in time for Valve announcing pre-orders were no longer necessary and so I just ordered the 256GB one today. I've been reading through everyone's posts here and looking at youtube videos; with emulation capabilities etc. they're a seriously cool piece of kit! I might even have a look at it myself the odd time...ahem 😆.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Is a mini Bluetooth keyboard recommended for general setup up or do I not need one if all I'll be doing for now is playing games on Steam and attempting to set up emulation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For Steam itself, no keyboard needed at all. Easy to navigate. You can also set up the likes of the Heroic launcher without a keyboard, but it’s more finicky so a keyboard would help if there’s one about. Anything more advanced - emulation potentially included - and any prolonged use of desktop mode would definitely benefit from a keyboard and mouse IMO.

Cheers. Hoping to have Deck tomorrow. Plan is to ease into it with Verified games and get a feel for the device. Will tinker around with emulation later in the week and pick up cheapy keyboard if needed. Although I have a Dell Displaylink unit for my work computer that takes USB c and has a decent selection of ports so I'm guessing Deck should work fine with that for now.

"The parcel is expected to be delivered during the day. Ireland Ballinacarrig."

Whoop! Never had a delivery with GLS before so hope it's delivered soon.

The parcel has reached the parcel center - Ireland 10/10/22 07:15

The parcel has reached the parcel center - Ireland 7/10/22 19:14

Still nothing about reaching the final center or a location. In Dublin so presumed when it hit Ireland it would arrive at a Dublin depot.

Mine says "The parcel is expected to be delivered during the day." at the very top so hopefully yours says the same! Surely it'll be delivered today if it's been in the country since Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I was exactly same, mine just delivered, I'm in Dublin 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yup, mine should be here today as well.

I've already got the following - TPU protective case, glass screen protectors and USB-C hub from Amazon, 256GB micro SD from Argos plus a 256 GB 2230 SSD on the way from Lithuania (€30 via Ebay). I'll get a larger microSD in due course and also upgrade the SSD to a 500GB or 1TB but no rush.

EDIT: GLS just rang the doorbell and voila! One Steam Deck. My birthday isn't even until Wednesday....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

That's spooky, my birthday on Wednesday too! Happy early birthday present to us :-)

Great to see more decks getting delivered here! My (probably overpriced) official dock is preparing to ship too. 😀

I was using a usb hub over the wkend to hook up a kb and mouse for messing around in desktop mode - makes a big difference alright. Tried Heroic and Lutris and had different issues with both, no idea why they weren't working as per the guides I was following but said feck this hassle and just deleted them. Will try them again some time in the future but I just used the 'manual' way of adding Epic Launcher to my Steam library and that worked fine. Only issue I had was with Sonic Mania going black screen when you select fullscreen in the options. Apparently the fix is to edit the settings.ini but I couldn't find it and creating it in the sonic game folder didn't work either.

Moved my steam games from SD to internal so think I will try setting up EmuDeck on the card, really want to get PrimeHack working too. I remembering seeing one of the folks on here got it working so hopefully it's not too awkward.

Just an update on this. It unfortunately hasn't been delivered today. Tracking still says the above. So, hopefully tomorrow!

The fact it's sitting in a depot just up the road is driving me insane!!😂

Sandisk 512gb SD cards are on early access Prime deal today for £33.

Sorry if a stupid question.

I got a dock off Amazon. When I connect with a HDMI cable (in desktop mode where I mainly want to use it) the desktop mode comes up on my monitor like the way it normally looks with all icons. But the steam deck screen remains on with the desktop screen but with no icons. That's fine but sometimes the mouse I have connected will only be moving around on the steam deck screen and not the monitor. I can't remember if it was the opposite way around when I started messing with settings, but don't know what I'm doing haha.

Long story short 😂 the question I'm looking to ask is there anyway to change something in settings to where when I connect by HDMI the steam deck screen goes off and everything is on my monitor (basically like what happens with a switch when you dock it)? I don't need anything on the steam deck screen when I use the dock. Thanks

What are you guys playing on the Deck? I started HL2 but the lack of Aim assist is a killer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep I found HL2 borderline unplayable experience on Deck due to the lack of aim assist. Not a fun experience alas, despite the game having had a proper go-over for SD.

If you’re looking for an FPS particularly, Dying Light is a good showcase and plays great on controllers. Although I recommend adding some of the parkour functions to the extra back paddles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yea, set the display to only be on the monitor screen and the Steam deck display should turn off. You will find the option in systems settings (bottom left icon)/hardware/display and monitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Hey, have you a link for this? Can't seem to spot it

Advertisement