Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭josip

Have you taken Bakhmut yet? Does it not concern you that even with your best troops and equipment, that you've been unable to take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Clare Daly talking with Pat Kenny right now.

She is agreeing that Putin is as bad as the dictators.

Wants to follow the Mexico proposal - dialogue and peace.

A negotiated peace settlement, is not rolling over apparently.

She seems to labour under the illusion that Putin will honour the "negotiated peace settlement" he puts his name to and do as the Ukranian people wish. I will be polite and simply describe her as naive.

I'm disappointed in Pat. He isn't challenging her on her voting record - in our name don't forget with her there as an Irish MEP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Claire Daly on Newstalk right now. 🙈🙈🙈

Pat Kenny giving her an out of character easy ride. He gives the Russian Ambassador a harder time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

"The terrorist country, Russia, has carried out massive missile and air strikes on the territory of Ukraine, also using attack drones. In the morning, the aggressor launched 75 missiles, 41 of them were shot down by our air defence," General Valeriy Zaluzhny said

Considering how Russia threatened the 'end of the world' response to any attack on Russian territories that has been a lame response from them. Can't be long now and Russia will not have a leg to stand on.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Even if they 'could' do this (and they clearly could, given their clearly effective intelligence and special operations), they shouldn't.

It would be an own goal of immense proportions, I can't think of anything guaranteed to lose them Western support faster. What they 'should' do is continue to win the conventional war and drive the Russian army out of Ukraine.

• Advertisement

She trusts the Russians apparently.

And war atrocities have been committed by all sides, not just the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭rogber

Yes but we're talking about two very different things here: operations against enemy infrastructure versus deliberate attacks on civilians. So far Ukraine seems to have never done the latter, which ultimately I think is a good thing, but the temptation to do so must be very strong sometimes.

How is Pat treating her? Please tell me he has shredded this demented embarrassment of a witch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Kremlin said yesterday that Putin called a meeting today to discuss the response to the bridge event. Given he’s signposted it, I don’t think we have seen their official response yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You don't seem to have addressed much, just fantasies of how your political football team doing well over next few months will inevitably lead to what you desire for some unholy reason (halt of the US support for Ukraine!). Even if the Republicans do quite well in the elections, which is bad, I don't think this will come to pass.

Anyway, the hypocrisy of the Trumpy US right (i.e. people such as you, sharing lovely Ben Garrison cartoon of vampiric Zelensky grabbing a bag of money!) whose Republican predecessors happily cheerled wasting of trillions of US dollars and thousands of US soldiers lives on a war of choice in Iraq calling Biden/democrats "hawks" for stumping up the tiny by comparison cost for aiding Ukraine here is sickening.

I think you've judged "Europe" incorrectly too as regards response to hardship, and this war is much closer to home here. Much of population in Europe won't have the liberty that US public may have of just not paying very much attention to it and tuning it out completely. The kind of resolution Europe needs to this is the cost for Russia becoming so intolerable that they can't carry on any more whatever fantasies of Putin and his clique demand. We're getting there slowly I think. An appeasement of Putin/ending support for Ukraine and hoping for a pat on the head won't help Europe with their energy/fossil fuel problems now, and most voters know that very well.

Also your faux military "analysis" + long paragraphs of nonsense claiming Putin/Russian military has some very "clever" strategy with targetting of civilians and civilian infrastructure in Ukraine are worthless. It's a simple one you don't need to have any expertise in military matters to recognise. Creating terror + panic and sapping will of Ukraine to fight on. It's also happening because Putin/leadership are furious about progress of the war, rhetoric against Ukraine by Russian nationalists etc. has become thoroughly genocidal and Russia is lashing out any way they can. You should have stuck to being scourge of Greta + providing "alternative" Climate Science IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agreed they shouldn't attack Russian civilians for the moment but the point is that Russian administration must realise that anywhere can be struck if Ukraine starts using guerilla war tactics in Russian cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There's still a lot more they can do to the Ukrainans ,

The glove's need to be removed and Target Russian cities in direct retaliation every time a Ukrainan city gets hit and Russian city should be hit in direct response

I'd be quite surprised if there isn't some 'rules of engagement' type protocol that has been agreed at the very top level between Ukraine and its Western supporters. With one of the main topics being what you are and aren't allowed to do outside the borders of Ukraine.

This is why I'm glad you're not in charge of anything that requires strategic thinking. 😉

This is a terrible idea. It would change the entire narrative of a just war been fought against a vicious dictatorship. Western support would dissolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,162 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Talk of it being changed from a "special military operation" to a "anti terrorist operation".

Fúck knows what the difference is. 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭josip

Targeting Ukrainian civilians does nothing but increase Ukrainian support to remove the Russian invaders from their country.

Were Ukraine to do likewise to Russia, it would probably have a similar effect on the Russian population who up to now have been largely ambivalent about the Russian invasion. Keeping the level of domestic Russian support low, is of greater strategic benefit in the long term to Ukraine, than resorting to tit for tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭rogber

Without a doubt. I'm sure rule number 1 is all military targets are valid, civilian targets must be avoided at all costs.

It's all very easy for her. He let her off. Very disappointed in him. He gives Luke O'Neill a bigger challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Mick Wallace and Clare Daly would make you ashamed to be Irish. Disgusting. Shame on anyone who voted these clowns into representing us in Europe. A holy show as usual.

• Advertisement

That's a good point josip.

Keeping the level of international support high is of even greater importance to Ukraine. Attacks like today serve to increase this (you can just imagine how the flow of anti-missile defence systems like NASAMS will now be speeded up). Responding in kind by launching missile attacks against Russian civilian targets would be incredibly counter-productive.

I'd love to get a good, hard look at their financial history. Mick in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Can you be any more of a shill for the Kremlin?

Russia is going to lose this war, there is no way out for them now. The only question is, how badly they will lose it?

EU and US leaders are pissing themselves with laughter at the incompetent way the Kremlin has conducted this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I can not say I understand in the least the likes of Daly and Co. They do seem to live in some kind of crackers alt-reality world. Its not uncommon unfortunately they're Dalys all over the world. Maybe we should ask a shrink to look into them. We might get a fright by that report!

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Spent fuel rods also require active cooling in ponds for years (before being transferred to caskets etc), they don't just sit in still water, the water needs to be continuously circulated and run through heat exchangers, these are known as FCP systems, loss of power to the cooling pools was one of the many crisis faced at Fukushima NPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Congress has voted overwhelmingly to support Ukraine with military aid. The November elections wont change that dynamic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Gusser09

When is Dalys position up for for vote again? I'd happily join a movement where we actively canvas not to have her or Wallace elected again.

A race to the bottom with the pair of them. Putin fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Russia didn't look like they were running out of missiles this morning, but yes it's bizarre that the west are refusing to supply air defence systems that could at least minimised the damage we saw today.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

Belarus enters the war...

Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko said Belarus and Russia will deploy a joint military task force on the country’s western borders in response to what he called an aggravation of tension, the state-run Belta news agency reported. (The Guardian)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Some are reluctant to supply cutting edge tech to Ukraine in case it fails to do what they say. This is the same reason Turkey has been sanctioned by NATO in the past, as they acquired Russian S400's and NATO members did not want a member state to have Russian air defence and NATO aircraft

While Ukraine is a great proving ground for military hardware, it goes both ways. If it's known that Ukraine has modern NATO air defences for example, and then Russia are still able to get their missiles on target, it may embolden them to do more knowing air defences cant cope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement