Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Does anyone know if Lucozade Sport will be available at every water station or only certain ones towards the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I just had my 1st one 2 weeks ago & I loved it(was painful enough but a good pain!) My legs felt great after it & I'm booked in for another one this Monday as a treat after my last 20miler tomorrow 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Excellent i'm going to look at booking one!

Good luck in the 20 mile run tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I think iirc, it was only at Roebuck Rd, 22 miles or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I didn't grab one, but just remember the sticky shoes

• Advertisement

Just got this from the Marathon life website:

Lucozade Sport will be provided at 9½, 13, 19 and 22 miles, and in goody bags at the finish.

I think they're only in plastic cups though, the water is in 250ml bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Perfect, thanks. The marathon FAQs only say they will be in cups, didn't have detail about the location. Thanks 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

So my last long week was not good. I had to delay my lsr to Sunday last weekend and then didn't get any run in on Tuesday or Wednesday due to work commitments. I only got a quick 5k in on Thursday. So set out yesterday for my 20miler/32k.

I felt good during it so I ended up doing 36k. The good thing about it was I felt yesterday I could have gone the whole distance. The day was a lovely day for running and I actually really enjoyed it. Feeling fine this morning but a tad stiff! My times were

22.5k @5.49 pace

5k @5.18 pace

36k @6.07 pace

Wore my flipbelt yesterday to carry my gels and some vaseline so feel like I'm almost there now. Will definitely try to get my runs in this week starting with the 13k on Tuesday. It should be less chaotic this week.

Anyone have any tips for me at this stage? I'm not planning on aiming for a time as such on the day but I'm starting in wave 4 (going with the 4.30 pacer) and feel if all went well on the day I could be able to finish around the 4.20 mark. Maybe even slightly under...as a first timer any tips on a race plan would be great!

WEEK 16 - TAPER TIME 

The hay is in the barn! First off - huge congratulations on getting this far - there have been tough runs, great runs and everything in between. It's a massive commitment to train for a marathon, and you're through the hardest weeks - take a bow😊It's great to see all the long runs on strava completed over the weekend. You can take great confidence from completing these distances on very fatigued legs. There's something to be learned from every long run, be it a success or failure, so be sure to note what went right/wrong and that with you into DCM.

DCM is now only three weeks away. You've been on a long road and are almost there, so stay calm and focused. It is only natural that many preparing for a marathon run, particularly if it is a first one, are feeling a little anxious. Don't worry, this is quite normal. So now it's time to take a step back and give yourselves a little break.

Have a read of this to give yourselves a good idea of what lies ahead for the next 3 weeks

And now we are into the taper. The next three weeks will maintain the same structure as before, but you will notice a gradual drop in miles from previous weeks. Now is not the time to be chucking in extra miles, or some faster stuff - stick to the plan! The number 1 priority now is allowing your body to recover so you will be in top shape on marathon day!

Week one of the taper is still a fairly substantial week for both plans, as the gradual decrease in mileage begins. Boards followers will note that the Sunday recovery run becomes optional this week.

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|5m easy|8m easy|4m easy|rest|12m LSR|cross

Boards|rest, cross or 3m rec|5m easy|5m easy|5m easy|rest, cross or 3m rec|14m LSR|rest, cross or 3m rec

It is important that you have confidence and say to yourself every day: "I am healthy, well prepared and I am going to arrive at the starting line rearing to go." It is very normal to put too much pressure on ourselves and this takes away from our performances. So, over the next three weeks you should look forward to the race and go into it feeling nice & relaxed. Getting out of your normal routine or getting too worked up about the race can ruin months of training. The taper gives your body and mind a chance to rest, recover and prepare for your marathon.It is important to get the balance right in these final three weeks. You may feel some niggles during the taper period. Don't get concerned as they are more than likely caused by the anticipation of the race and you being a little anxious about the challenge ahead. They will be out of your system by the time race day comes (if you are concerned always seek professional advice) Your hardest training is definitely behind you.

Very best of luck with this weeks training😁

With the tragic passing of TFBubendorfer (who looked after getting these Novice threads going) a new thread has been started here if anyone would like to wear the colourful socks at DCM.

Edit - the 1st link has now been corrected.

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Los Cafeteros

Let the taper madness begin! Delighted to have made it this far and feels like it’s downhill from here on in. Thanks again to all the mentors for your guidance.

Last week- 60k total (boards plan): Skirting the line of getting sick this week- judged it just about right to train through a headcold. Took mon/tues off running. Work in healthcare so lots of contact with sick kids means lots of exposure. Like to think it’s getting the immune system in shape before the marathon.

Wed- 7.3km @ 5:37

Thurs- 11.1km @ 5:24

Fri- 5.1km @ 5:31

Sat- 8.4km @ 5:21 - fairview parkrun before call shift in afternoon

Sun- 28km @ 5:50 - weather held up nicely. Around st Anne’s, tough headwind along the seafront down through North strand, along the quays and back up through east wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Week 6/9

Mon 8k @5:08

Tue lunch 7k @5.16

Tue evening 3*3200m w 800m rec

Tgt 13:40 act 13:38/39/33 enjoyed this despite the rain tot 15.4k

Wed 8k @5:07

Thurs Lunch 6k @5:22

Thurs evening 16k @training MP 4:22 act 4:22 took a gel to practice and settled on socks for M. Wore the magicspeeds. No Ill effects so will use them on race day too. No headphones so touch bored over the total 20k!

Fri 8k @5:10 tired and looked forward to rest day

Sunday 27k @4:50. Took the baby to water babies before this and was honestly drier coming out of the pool than after the run 😂.

Settled on my fuelling strategy (which will be a gel every 7k taking a gulp every k so gulp at 7, 8 and 9k to finish) and practiced again. 1st and 3rd gel will be caffeine included. Run itself was fine. Knee is getting sore so was a bit mentally on edge and carried it into the run. hoping it will be ok in the morning. Have physio already in diary so might ask her to focus on knee rather than usual Achilles by 2

Weekly total 100.7k ( highest ever)

looking forward to running 10ish less k upcoming week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done all. The majority of the hardwork is done. Some big weeks noticeable on the group. The end is in sight.

Its still of vital importantance that plans are now still followed closely. The volume is coming down to allow your bodies to be in peak shape for the marathon so its not the time to be adding anything extra or cramming some late speedwork. Legs will feel heavy but that is natural now. The idea is that they won't be fully fresh until late on in race week.

A big up to fellow mentor @Murph_D who achieved his sub 3.20 target in Chicago with a great performance after an excellent block of training.

Hi,

Firstly, we all can miss runs from time to time with life commitments so don't go chasing them anyway. You did a very solid long run by the looks of it at the wkend. Do your best to follow the runs this week where possible.

In terms of DCM, similar to previous advice given just ensure you start and go out conservatively for the first half. Dont be too worried about 4.30 pacers as they will run even splits. I would suggest starting behind them. You want to be still in the game and feeling strong by walkinstown roundabout. At that stage the endurance training will hopefully kick in and with the favourable terrain , there is potential to increase the pace naturally for the same effort. Running it in this way can only maximise the enjoyment also.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Another week down for me as well and feeling ok after it.

Monday - rest

Tuesday 50 mins easy

Wednesday 10K at PMP effort - this hovered around 4.45 m/k pace on a windy evening with HR in the 150's

Thursday - 45 mins easy

Friday - 1.15 Easy

Sunday long run - did the second half of the DCM course to get a feel for it. Started at Merrion square and down to the Liffey and then cut across to Inchicore and followed the route from there. Felt the drag up to Crumlin Children's hospital. Was good to run Milltown and Clonskeagh and get familiar with those hills for the day. Had company so the run flew by and probably wasn't concentrating on the route as much as I should have!

Now looking for some advice on the pacing. Having looked at a few calculators etc and trying to get a comfortably ambitious time to settle on. I think from some reading that it would seem that HM time plus 15 to 20 minutes for a first time outing would seem reasonable? This would put me at 3.15 to 3.20. Looking at that from a pacing perspective that is somewhere between 4.38 - 4.45 m/k. Which is about 25 to 30 seconds slower than HM pace. How does this seem? I've read this and a a few other threads so will definitely have a pacing strategy around this. Looking to go easy until Castleknock (4.55 to 5 pace), pick it up on the downhill, again easy on the drag up to Crumlin, and likewise manage the hills and hopefully have a strong finish. Once I have a plan I'll stick to it. I'm in Wave 1 so the intention is to go to the back of the wave, like I have in the last couple of races and work my way up the field. I'll be watch the HR as much as the pace to check that I'm in the right place.

Weekly update

So about 2 weeks ago I got a bad chest infection and wasn't able to run (not from lack of trying) tried to do my LSR but had to turn back after 1km. After having Covid 5 weeks ago and then this i thought my mararthon hopes were up. I decided to rest and the get back to the plan (Hal Higdon). Got back out last week and decided that if i could get through this week then i would be fine for the marathon.

All runs during the week went fine, legs were a bit stiff so slowed it down for the last 8km on thursday in prep for the LSR

Tuesday - 8km @6.16 per km

Wednesday 16km @ 6.17 per km

Thursday 8km @6.27 per km

Friday - rest

Saturday - 32km @6.24 per km

Set off for the phoenix park on Saturday morning and ended up having a great run, seeing everyone else out running and the friendly nods as we pass each other knowing that they were training for the marathon as well was a great feeling and its got me really excited for the marathon. This was my longest run i've ever done before but at all times it felt comfortable and that i was in control.

The last 2km the legs were sore but i had also ran 20 miles in 3 days in the lead up to this so i'm putting it down to that. I've rested the last 2 days and the legs feel great now!

Can't wait to start the taper and start getting the mind ready for the marathon. I'm still deciding what time i'd like, originally i wanted 4 hours but that ship has sailed and i'm more focusing on 4:10-4:15 but i'll be happy once i finish :)

I was in a very similar position to you in 2019- I was approx 60-90 seconds slower than yourself in the half.

I ran an enjoyable(bar the last 2 miles) 3.25 off that half. I think half plus 20 minutes is more realistic than plus 15 under the strategy you describe above. I started a bit back from the 3.30 pacers but slowly worked my way up to them by the time we entered phoenix park and then naturally stuck to my plan which was similar to yours. I kept shelter with the pack for a few miles through some of the drags after chapelizod before slowly creating a gap between those pacers. I naturally picked up after that crumlin drag you mentioned - again making sure i wasnt isolated there. In hindsight, i probably should have remainded a bit more patient and I would have had a better closing 2 miles in my opinion. It wasnt a terrible finish but had to decrease pace a bit. You could learn from that. By keeping the effort simialr you will pick off people like the half on the route towards rathgar and miltown so patience is integral. You have the skill set to run a faster 2nd half in the region of 1.35-1.40 if you got out to half circa 1.42-1.45. You know the route now and that closkeagh drag doesnt seem short at 20-21 miles of MP so you need to have a little bit left in the tank for this. Hope that helps!

I was probably one of those runners giving you a nod on Saturday. It was a cracking day for a run in the park. For yourself, You dont really fully know what the illness has taken out of you. Great to see you back feeling well on runs. I think the readjustment of expectations is a smart move. It important you enjoy this and want to continue to enjoying running post marathon. There will be other days to target times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I missed my recovery run on Sunday but otherwise had a pretty solid week.

Mon: 5km @ 6:16

Tue: 11km @ 5:28

Wed: 8.3km @ 5:57

Sat: 32km @ 5:52 per km

I was only due to run 29km for the LSR but got my course a bit wrong thinking there was a bridge across the canal where there wasn't but it was all good in the end, felt really comfortable after the 32km.

I think I'm pretty settled now on gels, pre-race meal, clothing etc. For pace I'm planning going off around 5:45 for the first 10-15km and taking it from there, hoping I can bring that back towards 5:30 as the race goes on but being a first marathon I'll have to see how it goes on the day.

Congrats @Murph_D on your Chicago run

Thanks @Lambay island Good feedback. Just wondering, you say "I think half plus 20 minutes more realistic than plus 15 under the strategy you describe above" - does this mean there is a different strategy I should consider?

Ah, you can ignore that - just worded poorly.. I should have put a full stop after plus 15. I would be of the opinion that double plus 15 mins theory is not impossible but very optimistic for a first timer. Your strategy seems good and sensible

Post edited by Lambay island on

• Advertisement

Absolutely agree, my main goal is to enjoy the marathon (see if i'm still saying this at 40km haha) but time wise i'm not too pushed. As you said there's other days to aim for a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Week 15

Tuesday 8km easy 6:06/km

Wednesday 2km wu 8km PMP 1.2km cd

Thursday 5km recovery 6:10/km

Saturday 29km LSR 6:08/km

Sunday 5km recovery 6:23/km

Week went ok and stuck to the plan. PMP run went well I felt, though as with pretty much all of these runs for me the pace was a bit quicker than where I was aiming. Only one more PMP left to nail it :) I think one of the reasons is my mental maths skills - after the WU section I can never quite calculate where the average pace needs to be for PMP to be on the money, if that makes sense. My theory is that running impairs your ability to do simple calculations. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :D

The last big LSR went ok on saturday. A little quicker than my usual LSR pace but felt fairly comfortable. I had a bit of driving around to do then after the run and felt fairly stiff even though I'd tried to get in as much stretching as I could through the day. I went and played 7 holes of golf late afternoon and felt much better. (Another theory I'm trying to sell my OH - golf aids recovery!) Felt ok sunday for the 3 mile recovery run.

Looking forward to easing up on the miles a little now. Can't run this saturday so looking like friday or sunday for this weeks LSR.  

In terms of getting your pace right for PMP after a warm-up. You could separate the warm-up as a separate run or change setting in your watch to show current pace as opposed to average pace if that function available. Working out the maths is a distraction you don't need.

I totally agree with D here, you don't know how much the illness has taken out of you, so re adjusting your target is a very sensible decision. Well done on getting back at it & focus on the next 2 weeks & stick to the plan. For recovery make sure you are stretching & foam rolling when you can & plenty of sleep will all aid your recovery.

Finishing the marathon will be a huge achievement so enjoy it 😊

I'd agree with D here, let the watch do as much of the work for you as possible😊

Nice week there, good to try get the stretching in as much as possible & I like your bravery creativity at suggesting golf as a recovery aid to your OH... let us know how that works out🤣

Keep focused now with the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Or lap average and make sure to hit lap on the watch at the end of the warmup, and/or autolap each km/mile depending on your preference

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

Week 14/15

W14

Mon 6,8 km 45:36 6:42/km

Tue 6,1 km 39:27 6:26/km

Thu 9,0 km 56:33 6:17/km

Fri 30,6 km 3:32:40 6:57/km

W15

Mon 5,9 km 41:05 6:59/km

Tue 8,1 km 52:42 6:32/km

Wed 10,4 km 1:02:48 6:04/km

Thu 5,0 km 31:55 6:22/km

So had a poor last 2 weeks due to work and family stuff.

The high lights or probably called low light are 30k run Friday week ago after work. This run end up breaking me, it was after work and I didn't eat enough early in the day and it was the end of the week. So when I went for this run there was little to no energy in the tank when I started.

Last week I only got 4 runs in as we had a family trip planned I had planned to go for a long run but it was far more active than I had thought it was going to be so didn't get the long run or any run in.

Asking for advice should I do maybe 16 miles this weekend to balance this out or keep it at the 14 miles?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Depending on your watch you can set up the workout in advance with target paces as well which can be handy. For example with Garmin it looks like this, and it will tell you the duration and paces at each stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Is anyone else starting to suffer from tired legs

Advertisement