If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a new CD Transport ?

Options
  • 08-10-2022 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hey folks. I’m looking for a new CD transport to connect to my Chord Qutest DAC and Auralic Taurus mk2 headphone amplifier. I was wondering what would match best with my setup. The Cambridge Audio CXC, Roksan Attessa or Audiolab 6000cdt?

How do each of the CD transports above compare in terms of Sound signature and Sound quality?

I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and use Apple Music and Qobuz streaming services and will add in a separate streamer later on, something like Cambridge audio CXN c2.

On an unrelated note Can you recommend any BNC to Coax adapters or a BNC to Coax cable ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi GeneticDeviant,

Out of the three CD players the Roksan would be the better quality transport. The Roksan components are very high end and give a fantastic sound. We had the Attessa amp on display and it sounded incredible but I haven't heard the CD Transport with it. The Cambridge is also a great CD Transport but I would definitely recommend the Attessa purely for sound quality. I would say the Roksan would be the better one just based on the sound of the other Roksan components I've listened to.

Unfortunately BNC to Coax adaptors wouldn't be something we stock so I wouldn't be able to recommend a good one I'm afraid!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Looks lovely. One issue. From what I can tell there’s only one output option to a DAC. Ideally I’d want two as I’ve two DACs I’d like to connect it to. One for my speaker amp / DAC and the other to my DAC feeding my headphone amplifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

As I also need a streamer I did look at the Arcam CDS50 option. I’d be using as a transport into my Chord Qutest DAC and was wondering if I’d get same level of performance as I would by buying a dedicated CD transport such as the Audiolab and a suitable streamer too?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi GeneticDeviant.

Both the AudioLab and Roksan are fantastic.

The Roksan CDS50 is currently out of stock as we await an ETA for more to arrive.

I do have one display unit left which I could offer for £749 / 860 Euro delivered. It has never been used, its in perfect condition and comes complete with its original box and all accessories.

With the Roksan you do get the best of both worlds as it is a great CD player and has the bonus of the streaming features.

The Audiolab 6000CDT with the 6000N streamer would also be very good and would pip the sound quality from the Roksan but you do pay that bit more for that quality. The 6000N is 5 star reviewed in What Hifi and does live up to the reviews. I could offer these together at £845 / 970 Euro.

To get even better you would need to go down the route of the likes of the Cambridge CXC priced at £449 Paired with the CXN V2 priced at £799. I could offer these together at £1190 / 1369 Euro

Let me know your thoughts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.