Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to do 'everything' to prevent evictions - McEntee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

What if you served them notice due to non payment of rent? The tenant might be withholding rent since with no intentions of paying anything again. Who will pay the landlord for this “pause “ period?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What are you on about? Nothing is "stopping" a FTB from renting out rooms in their house, however statistically the vast majority do not.

Statistically, occupancy rates per room are lower in an owner occupied house than it is in a rented house - its a zero sum game so when a landlord sells up due to far too strict regulations and an owner-occupier buys it, the total number of people being housed has dropped. You now have more would-be renters chasing far fewer rentals. It means more homelessness, higher rents - it is not good for renters.

Nobody will build new rentals or be a landlord if the risks are too great - if its impossible to get vacant possession for selling then many will not let out their property in the first place as the risk is simply too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

How does that change the situation for someone in financial difficulty who can no longer afford the mortgage being told they can't sell their property at a time when they think prices are about to drop, for example?

This could be a place rented out at 2,500 a month to two well paid young professionals who were given 6 months notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

God forbid someone buys a house you sell and decides to live in it as their personal home. The cheek of the uppity little bastards.

Given your concern on the matter, may I suggest that you would sell with the tenant in-situ.

• Advertisement

If an investor made a bad decision and can't afford their mortgage, then they have to deal with the consequences of that decision.

Ignorance of the law is not a justification for later wanting preferential treatment

If the government did implement a moratorium on evictions for a few months of the winter, it wouldn't make any difference to anyone who wants to start the process now. It's not as if you were going to have them out on 1st December only for it.

I'd say notices of termination are flying out around the country as we type, with people trying to get them in before the ban is announced.

You literally couldn't make this stuff up.

The interesting component will be all the unregistered landlords who "forgot" to declare their income, getting an assessment in the door from Revenue when their tenants file for their tax credits this year.

You can add that as a contributory factor in any rush to try to evict by the end of the year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Full disclosure, I’m an agent for a LL, my mother, the house was my Dad’s pet project before he died. I help my mother with it. One day I’ll inherit it. I’d like to keep it particularly as it would give my kids somewhere to live when they are older. But the way things are going I think I’ll be forced to sell it.

We all have a social responsibility to pay our taxes, we outsource all other social care to the government, it’s not your job to provide housing for those in need, that’s the governments job. Landlords are no different.

To me private renting should be a convenience for LL and Tenant, not a way of life. 

You’re a student, you rent with a few friends

You’re a young person starting out, you rent with a few friends or on your own. 

You move for work or travel…

You meet somebody and move in together…

Eventually you buy your own place. 

If needed for what ever reason you can’t you move to state owned social housing. 

Basically you should never rent for life or as family long term form a private LL.

Back in the 60,70 and 80 the government and councils built social housing. 

In the 90’s they sold it to tenants we had the property boom in the 2000’s and the crash in the 2010’s 

It’s been apparent for sometime that the root cause of the problem is a lack of social housing and solution to build more but we’ve had endless delays and now costs have gone crazy. 

Everything the government has done since the 60s has made it worse not better. But lest stick to today. We hand a temporary 3 year rent pressure zone in Dublin that has been extended more or less indefinitely and almost nationwide. Did it work no not at all. We have REIT’s who’s first let will be as the max the market will bear or not at all. That’s driven up rents massively. Then we have smaller landlords, I personally know two that are getting out and there are many more. With both of them it’s as direct result of government policy. Go onto daft and look at apartments for sale, so many of them are ex-rentals, you can tell because it’s rental furniture or they are stripped out . 

When place becomes empty they sell, so that never appears on the statistics. 

This eviction ban, personal I expect it would be unconstitutional but even the talk of it is going to make many LL’s sell up as soon as a house or apartment becomes empty. We need to increase the stock of rentals at lower end of the market to drive down prices not upper end.  

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

With interest rates the way they are likely for the next couple of years, house prices are going to drop because would-be buyers are much better off waiting until rates moderate.

If a landlord has tenants in there locked-in with relatively high rents and they're paying on time, they'd need their head checked to turf them out and put it on the market at the moment.

'Landlords fleeing the market' happens at the apogee of house prices when they cash-out on a high. The opposite effect is about to kick in and landlords with a brain should be happy with tenants that pay up in a timely fashion and keep the place in relatively good nick.

That's the effect you'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The stats don't agree with you.

I agree if you've a decent tenant in then no real need to do anything. Anyone with ongoing issues tenant related or other wise is likely to cash out and see what happens.

Have I hit a nerve?

I'm pointing out why landlords selling up en mass is bad overall for homelessness and rent prices, as the overall number of people housed drops. Why are you so defensive about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You are overlooking the risk that if a tenant leaves and are replaced with a bad one they they are screwed. Also that only works if the LL has no mortgage, if they do then their costs are going up but they can't raise the rent by more than 2%. If been a LL was such a sweet gig then why are so many leaving. Property is a long game it's not that people are afraid of crash it's the regulations and risk of more harmful regulations.

A lot of projection there Timmy

Your imagined helplessness is not real. You can buy a house, sell a house, rent a house to a tenant, rent a house from a landlord.

There is no point coming on here crying about imagined difficulties and looking for sympathy. The faux concern for "occupancy rates" is tosh

Simply put, landlords were 'fleeing the market' because house prices were going gangbusters, those who finally exited negative equity could cash-in, and they saw dollar signs. That's the real story.

Now landlords with decent tenants in-situ would be well advised to hold on to them instead of letting the property sit on the market vacant for God knows how long. I see one in my area recently vacated and for sale. It's going to be there for a while. Big mistake.

The 'poor auld landlords' was just the predictable whinge from lobby groups to get favourable tax treatment on passive income.

Landlording with your mortgage cleared is still a money printing scheme in Ireland. Don't be fooled for a second. It's the easiest money to be made in this country.

Well that's precisely the point. Landlords with decent tenants will do nothing as to sell right now and leave the place vacant for God knows how long would be boneheaded. And the vast vast majority of renters are decent.

There's a lot less "fleeing the market" when house prices moderate or drop. Funny that. It's almost as if people are moved to sell when asset holders feel the top of the market has been reached.

Landlord chicken littling never ends. You'd be sick of listening to it.

What imagined helplessness?

The point on occupancy rates is not faux concern but very real systemic problems - if we drive more landlords out of the market, most of those units will be bought by owner occupiers, and overall occupancy % drops. This means more homeless people, and higher rents (less supply, more demand). It is a demonstrable fact.

You have clearly got a massive chip on your shoulder regarding this given your aggressive posts but you cannot refute the facts - legislation to make renting a property a more risky investment will only hurt rental supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

It doesn't, it addresses the other point you were trying to make around non-paying tenants.

It won't make any difference what or when termination notices are issued at this stage as there will be a stay of execution on any that are in effect during the temporary ban.

This will not drive more landlords out of the market.

Landlords sell up when they feel their asset price will get it's greatest possible value.

High interest rates almost inevitably means falling house prices, and we're starting to see the the effects already.

A landlord would be a fool to sell right now.

Lets take a 400k mortgage free apartment rented at 2.5k a month. 2k service charge, 2k maintenance costs, 3k letting agents fees.

You've 23k left, half of which will go on income tax so down to 11.5k which is just under 3% return on your 400k.

Hardly a license to print money.

Now lets look at the risk side, on the equity you have a market risk of easily losing 30% of the value on your investment with up to 50% as happened 15 years ago very possible. With government intervention, you now have the non-payment risk going up to what 18 months from 12 months, thats another 45k or over 12% risk on top of the 30-50% market risk.

You also have vacant periods between tenants, search fees etc.

3% return not looking so appealing any more is it?

• Advertisement

Landlords sell up when the risk is not worth the return on investment.

Just like every other investment in the world, yield tracks risk. And if it fails to track (rental caps & anti-eviction legislation) then demand for that investment will fall away, just as it is in Ireland with landlords selling up while they still can.

A landlord would be a fool not to sell right now given the kite-flying going on about eviction bans and rent freezes and other measures that ultimately make it not attractive to be a landlord. The numbers of landlords selling up are proof of this phenomenon.

Are other people allowed to quote income on an "after-tax" basis? That is even neglecting the fact that you are calculating the "return" on what it is worth now, rather than was paid for this hypothetical 400k apartment.

Even a 50% decrease in property values would only take levels back to 2014 ................ Perhaps if that happened then you'd be delighted as your calculation would suddenly mean a return of 23k on an apartment then worth 200k (even if you bought it today for 400k). You'd be quids in with an 11.5% "return". Must make a crash look very appealing, mustn't it?

Anyone paying 3k letting agent fees in the first instance is a complete sucker, if they want a complete hands off investment with zero work they can stop complaining about paying it. Apartment service fees would be in a minorty of rental properties in the country and when I was a tenant I never knew a landlord to put 2k into a place in a year. So even in your minority scenario, 3 percent annual yield for a hands-off investment is free money.

As for risk of dropping asset prices, time to grow up. Anyone who told you assets should only go up was the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

That's the game that was signed up to, and that's the risk that was taken when the property was purchased. And nobody at all promised you a government that would tend to your investment needs forever.

Landlords have it good in this country. They always have and I'll not lose sleep about them.

We are comparing selling now versus keeping and renting. Do keep up!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is one thing landlords being driven out of business because of regulation, it is another where a landlord is driven out of business because his client refuses to pay.

Imagine if you could just drive up to a petrol station and fill your car and walk away because of the high price of oil, and the petrol station owner just relied on your goodwill to pay?

What a load of pedantic waffle, the point remains - large risks, low returns, landlords are leaving the market.

Government solution - increase risks on the landlord side.

Sorry to be making things too complicated for you. I mistakenly assumed that you would be able to understand that when someone sells something, there is also a corresponding buyer to that transaction. Don't worry about it. You might cover it next year if you manage to pass this one.

Would you like me to send you some newspaper reports of courts where people have driven away without paying for petrol?

If you want trade under the conditions of selling petrol, may I suggest one solution for you would be to invest in a business which does that.

Sorry I must have misread you banging on about someone hypothetically buying a place in 2014?

• Advertisement

Have another go at it there. It is only a few lines long.

2014 was mentioned in relation to prices being half what they are now. I wasn't suggesting you travel back in time or whatever else you think it was saying. If house prices decreased at 50% as someone else suggested, it would still only be back at 2014 levels.

Advertisement