Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice re: Cat

Options
  • 29-08-2022 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Looking for some advice.

About 18 months ago a young cat started appearing in my back garden. He (I'm pretty sure it's a male) would turn up and just laze in the garden for a few hours everyday. He's very friendly, looks well looked after and had a bell around his neck. So I'm assuming he "lives" near by.

In the past three months things have escalated. He is now in my back garden 95% of the time. He is sleeping under a bush at night. And he's pretty much there all the time during the day when I check. He's more friendly than ever, constantly giving head-bumps, loves to be petted and bolts into my house anytime the back door is opened.

I started feeding him and leaving water out the past three months as I was concerned he never seemed to be going home (and with the recent hot weather).

But I don't know if I'm doing the right thing or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

bring him to a vet to see if microchipped. could very well be abandoned. also check the collar aint too tight just as a precaution.

keep feeding him just in case. see the lost and found thread where i had something kinda similar recently.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055413146/lost-and-found-thread-no-personal-contact-details/p93

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Possibly you've created a catch-22 by feeding him and petting him. He's now very motivated to come to your garden. You could bring him to the vet to check for a microchip, or attach a paper collar like this to see if he has an owner: https://www.cats.org.uk/croydon/news/paper-collars-for-stray-cats

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ask around locally as someone may be missing him. Or it could be eg his ower has died..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

He obviously belongs to someone nearby. Stop feeding him but continue to leave the water out in the hot weather. Your garden is obviously "his" territory so he likes to spend time there and trusts you so can he relaxed in your presence. He'll go home when he's hungry. Please don't feed other people's cats. They stop going back home if you do. Also remember they may be on a special diet or need to take medication with their meals so you could be creating problems unintentionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Well, I think that a cat being on a special diet or medication, shouldn't be left outside. Roaming from door to door would lead the to eat anything left outside for any reason.

I feed two semi-feral cats in my yard, and these cats are entitled to stay in my yard, but if another "owned" cat walks to my door and eat the feral cats' food it isn't my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I agree with you, but I do think it's worth keeping in mind. It's one thing to feed a feral cat, quite another to deliberately feed an obviously owned cat, however well meaning. Of course it's not your fault if someone's cat gobbles the food you've left out for the ferals. We can all only do our best and it's great of you to think of the poor ferals, providing them with a guaranteed feed that they don't have to provide for themselves.

Advertisement