Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Here’s who had what this year. They divide them as evenly as you can divide an odd number of matches (so obviously one side got one extra). Presumably it evens up over the course of the contract.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/0119/1274600-rte-and-virgin-media-confirm-six-nations-coverage/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You'd have to wonder why the Minister and her Civil Servant even allowed VMTV to argue about VMTV FOUR's position on Soarview.

1. It was always going to be either Ch 7 or 8
    2. If TG4 set up any new channel on the service surely it would get preferential treatment on Soarview in other words it might get position 5 or 6
    3. If Screen Ireland ever set up their channel it would also have to get preferential treatment in other words it might get position 5 or 6
    4. There are only 6 other general entertainment channels on Soarview of which 3 were Virgin Media Channel

Looking at Freeview entertaintainment channels don't divide up the movie channel or the +1 from entertainment, they split HD (Not required for Saorview), Children's, News, adult and radio

What happens if VMTV FOUR +1 was to appear 17 is taken!

In this case 2rn could have their line up like so : -

1. RTÉ ONE
    2. RTÉ TWO
    3. VMTV one
    4. TG4
    5. RTÉ ONE +1
    6. VMTV TWO
    7. RTÉ 2 +1
    8. VMTV THREE
    9. Screen Ireland (reserved)
    10. TG4 +1 (reserved)
    11. VMTV FOUR

12. RTÉjr
    13. Cula 4 (reserved)

14. RTÉ NEWS
    15. OTV
    16. SKY NEWS

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I'm not a fan off this EPG positioning fascination. If somebody launches a really good channel with top movies and live premier league and it's on 887 you think viewers won't watch it because they can't find it. Keeping all sports channels etc. together makes sense.

Anyway Virgin Media More is on 100 on Virgin. I think a lot off people just start on 101 and flick upwards. I'm kind of contradicting myself but I think 100 was a poor choice (ok as a promo channel or yet another number for Netflix access).

Whatever about 887 on Sky or Virgin, VMTV4 was always going to be at 7 and 8, it just a difference of one, not 100, out a possible 13 channels, not 200.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Classic VM tactic, they are such a joke. It’s not as if VM Four has some great content that people are missing out on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

Bottom of barrel stuff.

A channel with zero imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Will virgin compete for GAA coverage?

Not sure what’s happening there, the previous deal was up in April but apparently all rights holders (except eir who pulled out of sport) were given an extra season. So presumably it is now up in April 2023. I don’t think VMTV will go back into that game as long as Sky are there but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It would be good if they got the games Sky have to keep the games FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I know they've done it for a few years now, but it's mad that despite them showing a different match on Irish game nights (as RTE2 show the Irish game), they spend the pre-match, half time break and after match focusing on the Irish game, and not on the live game that VM2/3 showed.

• Advertisement

I think for Virgin Media (at least the Horizon boxes) if you make a mistake or time out on entering a channel number, it brings you back straight to channel 100. Might be behind their thinking of putting that channel there.

I would have expected a higher position for VM4 on VM EPG. Can they easily move RTE+1, or would that cause too much hassle. In truth the whole of VM EPG's needs restructuring. The mixture of HD channels and +1's scattered around makes it messy.

Virgin’s first live NFL game, Green Bay Packers v New York Giants, on VMTV Two on Sunday at 2pm. Presumably it will be the ITV Network coverage, no more no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

What time is this game starting in US? Early morning?

9:30am ET, I think (8:30am CT for the Wisconsin contingent).

VMTV1, +1 and 2 national commercial public service license up for grabs.

Unlikely there will be anyone else going for this license, what might be interesting is if VMTV decided to move their programming across to VMTV3 and 4 and make More +1.

______

Yesterday

It is a relic of another era tbh, but it does come with some benefits in terms of the must offer/must carry provisions and EPG prominence. Quite whether any new entrant would regard these benefits as worth the heavy touch regulation (I am not sure there is another market in Europe where such heavy touch regulation of a commercial tv service still exists) is another thing. And the benefits are likely to become less and less important as the move to steaming gathers apace. I imagine this will probably be the last time the BAI offer a contract of its type and yes I will be very surprised if there’s an applicant other than the incumbent.

I would have though both ITV and Channel 5 have similar regulations put on them.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just to confirm it was exactly this. Unlike Sky and BBC before them, ITV employed their own (British) commentary team rather than use the USTV commentators (in this case, NFL Network we’re broadcasting in the US).

No, not to the same extent, the “beauty contest” process for awarding the contract is more similar to pre-1993 ITV. The 1991 ITV franchise round was awarded on the basis of a cash bid subject to passing a quality threshold and the contracts have been more or less automatically renewed since. Channel 5 was similar. There are minimum PSB requirements(which ITV in particular has spent the last 25 years negotiating down) but other than that it has been over 30 years since a U.K. regulator last sought a business plan or programming proposals prior to awarding a license.

Yeah I was really surprised at that. The play by play commentator was Darren Fletcher who many may be familiar with from BT’s Premier League coverage. At least they didn’t try to do their own graphics. VMTV seemed to crash into the already in process ITV pre game show.

• Advertisement

To be Fletcher has been BBC radio’s super bowl guy so it wasn’t his first time watching the sport

What are the regulations on TV3/VMTV ONE and TWO?

Is it even at 30% Irish content? BAI are a much softer touch regulator than OfCom, IMO.

I'd argue that ITV requirement for local news is possibly a bigger burden on ITV, and one which they have slowly tried to move away from.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Why was the Euro 2024 qualifying draw on Virgin Media More on Sunday morning? Viewers here in Ireland also had the chance to watch the draw on RTÉ2 that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Longwayjump1991

What does this mean? Another company will take over from Virgin Media?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The licence VM operate under is up for renewal, they're likely to be the only company to submit an application for the new licence term.

Virgin Media will have the rights to broadcast all matches live (that aren't ROI matches) in this qualification stage - so probably makes sense for them to broadcast the draw - as it was available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

The Man Utd match this evening appears to be only on VM More. I'm guessing companies paying for advertising will be less than impressed.

Surprised at that given there’s nothing particular on VM One or Three that couldn’t be moved. They are host broadcasters for Shamrock Rovers and that is getting shown on VM Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

More eyes for BT Sport so. It's a bizarre decision as they will have less viewers and nobody is going to sign up to Virgin Media on the back of this.

• Advertisement

It’s a balancing act. Wanting to put something on one of their exclusive channels that people might want to see. I’m sure the advertising is priced accordingly

Advertisement