Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

more to do with a worrying disconnect from our backline.

In fairness, Larmour was gone after 20 minutes and Ringrose played on the wing for the first time in maybe five years? Russell is very green, Ngatai is new to the system and McGrath was gone early too. Plus there's a new backs coach. Some level of disjointedness isn't a major surprise.

The Sharks are a very good team, there won't be many other teams putting 50 points on them this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DelMcG

Tadhg McElroy signed on a short term contract. Interesting pickup.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

makes sense with kelleher and sheehan going to be away with ireland (when both fit) and with traceys long term injury.

McElroy has been training with us since the summer AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd say that they've done ok. But, Porter is still having some problems. Our scrum is just ok. I would hope to see improvements.

I see McElroy was just signed short term. I wonder if Treacy has had a setback?

There's been some disruption already this year with injury. Doris has been cleared to return. Conan has a back issue and Deegan won't be back for a week or so.

Martin Maloney was very impressive. He plays like he's a bigger lad. We may see more of him this week. Saturday was a great result, considering Rhys went off after 5 minutes and Conan pulled out prior to the start! Hopefully, Conan is fit for the international window. Baird may be stood down for a bit. That was a horrific collision, a citing would be justified!

• Advertisement

There is a small minority of posters who demand that Leinster are utterly dominant in every aspect of every game for the full 80 minutes, and anything less is a damning indictment of the players, coaches, the IRFU but most of all the arrogance and hubris of those Leinster fans who can't see how sh1t we actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Or maybe some people are keen to see Leinster win a European Cup, and are concerned that the same issues that have prevented us from doing that for the last 4 years are still present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Do you actually enjoy supporting rugby or do you just enjoy being right to strangers online?? Because yes it is the case that your consistent blanket and vaguely worded negativity will mean that you can consider yourself correct on some things - much like a stopped clock being right twice a day...

But then I genuinely wonder what enjoyment some people like yourself can actually get out of rugby.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There was no mention of Gibson-Park in the injury update, I wonder if he's likely to be available at the week-end

Our lack of a scrum platform has been our downfall. We've come out on the wrong end. There's no harm in wanting improvement? Unless, we want to be perennial runner ups!

• Advertisement

I'm not looking to be controversial. I'm just voicing an opinion. If McBryde can get us up to the level required to win, fair play. I remember the Sarries final a few years back, where we really were on the backfoot!

To be the best, you have to be the best in every facet of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It was the quarter final that Sarries scrum demolished ours. Not the final. They had to go away and completely rearrange how we were engaging in the scrum. Which fixed the stability problems on the hit. Can’t remember if it was McBryde or Fogarty who did that.

The reality is, Porter is only a year into switching sides. Which can’t be easy. Yet you seem to want him destroying packs or we should sack our scrum coaches. You said that McBryde is stealing a living on more than one occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You have said McBryde is stealing a living. How the hell is he doing that. Porter is only back playing loosehead for the first time in years and he has only been playing tight head for 5 years, It wasnt the sarries final that the scrum was on back foot and there isnt many games that Leinsters scrum is on back foot. you are being ridiculously harsh on coaches...

McBryde is a grand slam winning, lions touring coach.

He isn't the problem, not that is there any major crisis that needs resolving

To be the best, you have to be the best in every facet of the game?

You absolutely don't. That's the fundamental problem here.

We are the best. We don't need to get up to anywhere. Leinster are better than La Rochelle and they're better than the Bulls. But you get into knockout rugby and anything can happen. This is how sport works.

Only seeing the negatives and looking for heads to roll when we're not utterly dominant for the full 80 minutes of every single game must be an absolutely demoralising way to watch rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Our lack of a scrum platform!? That’s very specific. I think had Sexton cleared that ball on around 60 mins in the final none of us would be having this conversation. LAR were knackered and we had some daylight on the scoreboard. We made a number of errors in the HEC final that saw us give LAR entries into the game that they didn’t earn. Add to that the fact that Barnes plain refused to deal with their cynicism and they utterly closed down the game in the last few mins with one out short carries off rucks with latches sealing it off again and again and that’s ultimately why they won. They didn’t roll over us in the last few mins. They made tiny gains again and again and again and basically sealed off on every short carry. How many phases did it take to get that last try?

There really is some awful amount of sh!te spouted about that game. We bottled it. Barnes bottled it. And LAR happily played the worst attacking rugby imaginable to slowly eek out a victory and run down the clock at the same time at the end. Had we kept our heads we could have won that game despite anything and everything else that happened in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Out of interest, do you still think the 4 SA teams have "added nothing" and their inclusion has "just added 4 more sh*t teams"? And that the URC is a "p*sstake league" that serves up "dross" and is a "joke that's a serious hindrance to the national team"?

And that's just one example, (from an absolute litany), of your tendency towards overreacting with relentless negativity.

It must be an utterly exhausting way to 'enjoy' your rugby; you don't seem to get any enjoyment out of it whatsoever, TRC.

Leinster won a cracking game by 20 points, against a quality opposition side, putting over 50 points on them in the sun at a home game in October. And your summary was:

Good win. Very happy with the result.

But I'm sorry...

You got 7 words of enjoyment out of the game before looking for the negative. It's utterly bewildering to me.

He wasn't training today so looks like it'll be Foley and McCarthy. Going to be a seriously patched up team.

Frawley, Keenan and Furlong back training though, might see them against Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That was one of the most enjoyable games I've been to in years. If you didn't like that you may as well find a new hobby

Our scrum should be dominant. Imo! That's enough from me about the scrum! Lol

• Advertisement

If I had a monster plonker I'd be a point star lol. But seriously, against top end sides, we are found wanting? I agree that our errors v LaR were the losing of the match. I think a better scrum and platform would have won it for us.

Is McBryde the right man for the job? I don't think he is. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

There's a bit of revisionism here. The same front row were having problems last year and the year before for Ireland, it was one of the areas that has seen great improvement more recently but the scrum problems that were the weakest part of Ireland's game were also an issue for Leinster on several occasions. It was widely discussed at the time and stuff like Porter's transition, young hookers, and persistently getting on the wrong side of reffing judgements at scrum time were posited as explanations. It was a real issue. And I know Porter and Kelleher were missing for England.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LAR have been trading off this myth that they're an oversized, unfit team for a few years while the opposite is true. They've taken on some big men but they're conditioned to be 80 minute warriors and LAR have repeatedly benefitted from that in the latter stages of games.

They were in no way knackered in that final and the last ten minutes should have disabused anyone of the notion that they can't go the distance against a less physical side.

The worst attacking rugby imaginable doesn't net you three tries to none or grind your opponent down until you inevitably score. And running down the clock when you're losing? That's some level of confidence in your ability to score exactly on 80 minutes.

All these months later and it's back to blaming the ref again, a ref we happily consider the world's best when things just don't go against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

LAR lost more scrums in the final that we did and IIRC we only conceded 1 scrum penalty in the game.

Did you miss the last sentence where I said we could and should have won it regardless of LARs approach and Barnes’ failings? That clearly points to the fact that I was not blaming the ref. But it is true that he was very lax on LARs cynicism and time wasting.

LAR approached the last few mins of the game by taking the ball from a ruck, carrying basically to the side of that ruck with latchers to secure possession and not looking to make much territory. They backed their ability to close out rucks from jackal threats by staying so close to the ruck and meaning that they always had bodies to shut off the ruck completely. Such short carries meant they almost totally removed the risk of knocking on. So if they went another 5 mins doing it it was no great shakes to them. That’s what I was referencing about them running down the clock. It was clearly a part of what they were doing.

As for their fitness, they absolutely were knackered coming up to the hour mark. Maybe not all of them, but a good few were.

As for their fitness, they absolutely were knackered coming up to the hour mark. Maybe not all of them, but a good few were.

100%. They were out on their feet, but we made three or four unforced errors in a five-minute spell and you could visibly see LAR being re-energized, with the (home) crowd getting more and more behind them.

I will go to my grave insisting that if JOB had managed the dead-ball line properly, we'd have won that game.

we didnt lose any scums in the game, LAR lost one.

LAR did not beat us in the set piece on the day, where they beat us was in the tight carries, restricting us from possession and using barnes reluctance to call sealing off. We were very naive in how we played that game. We played differently in the final than we had all through the competition. Going in only 5 points up at half time, but 1 try to nil, (only 2 points up when the first 40 had elapsed), should have been a warning that we needed to score a try as they could score from the slightest break. They were beating our outside defense for fun (16 defenders beaten compared to only 7 for us).

when bougarait scored on 60 minutes to bring it 18-17 there felt like a sense of inevitability that we couldnt stretch beyond one try score away from them

With Larmour now gone too we might look to be playing some 10 man rugby this Friday lol.

We really are blessed to be able to put out a world class pack to keep us ticking over while our backs get fit. Even accounting for resting some fellas that have chalked up a decent amount of minutes

Possible team might look like:

Porter Sheehan Furlong

Ryan Jenkins

Connors Doris VDF

Foley Byrne

Ngatai Henshaw

Russell JOB Ringrose

McKee Healy Ala'alatoa Molony Moloney McCarthy Sexton Turner

I'm assuming it's still a week too soon for Conan and Kearney. Soroka could come into the mix. As an academy player they do not issue updates on him.

• Advertisement

I have nailed my colours to the mast of being a fan of the emerging Ireland tour. I thought it was a great opportunity for Deegan and Penny to develop their leadership qualities.

It has also been a great chance for the likes of Deeny and Culhane to put their hands up and show they're ready for senior rugby.

But man alive I can't remember a time in history that Leinster have been this thin on the ground in terms of back rows lol.

I know we have SOBII to come in if needed who looks like he's packed some serious KGs on.

Back 3 looking a bit thin too.

Advertisement