Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Get on to your broker and get an application in with another lender. Finance Ireland with their new rates are best avoided now IMHO.

I saw an apartment advertised as an open viewing on Saturday.

Should I just turn up or should I ring the estate agent in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I went directly to to the bank. And I'm now stuck in that limbo of getting the loan offer but not being able to do anything with it. Ugh, I should have waited. I just wanted to make sure that I would actually be approved. 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

I used to still contact them, then you mention who you are when you're at the viewing. It might work in your favour to build a bit of rapport with the agent.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Don’t listen to anyone who gives you this advice without seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Heighway61

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Spoke to the solicitor and her advice is to ask my broker to plead my case if rates increase between now and drawdown.

The bank may be open to negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

My bank did. Are you also on probation after switching jobs? Many banks won’t let you draw down until probation is complete, though I have found that if you’re public sector they may make an exception

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keane10

Just discovered this thread and I can relate to so many posts.

We've been on a house buying journey (FTBs) essentially for the last 4 years with many bumps along the way: pulling out of sales due to bad surveys, losing mortgage approval during COVID due to redundancy, moving to temporary accommodation in different parts of the country to get a feel for where we wanted to buy. We finally got back on track at the start of this year and got AIP in March.

Started bidding on properties in April and went sale agreed in June on the 3rd property we bidded on, which in hindsight was our favourite (we were glad to have lost out on the other 2). There was tenants in it so had to wait until September for them to move out.

After a very stressful period trying to get our loan offer from BOI, we finally feel like we're nearly ready to get the keys (solicitor is returning the loan pack to the bank this week) and closing date is next Friday. I'm hoping bank release the mortgage funds without delay, which hasn't been their style so far but we will have to wait and see.

It seems like everyone's experience is different based on this thread, even if they are with the same lender. With BOI, we felt document checks and getting the loan offer was very stressful & slow but it seems others had a smooth experience. We gave up on their online hub because the communication was poor & slow and started to call their helpline everyday and that moved things along. They also made a number of data entry mistakes on their end which was frustrating.

It's definitely been the most stressful thing we've gone through and the relief when we get in will be incredible. I saw a poster a few pages back say "I don't care about the rising interest rates as it's between homelessness and a home for us" and that rang very true. We had agreed that if we hadn't found a home by September this year that we would be emigrating so to be nearly at the finish line now with everything in place feels surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Anyone have bad experience of a slow mortgage advisor? Went sale agreed 9 weeks ago and still trying to get the mortgage drawn down. Leaving voicemails and Se ding emails…takes days to respond or not at all. Trying to get the mortgage drawn down and I’m ready to flip. If I didn’t have to start from scratch I’d be switching banks. Really frustrating.

• Advertisement

I am viewing an apartment tomorrow.

Has anyone got any suitable questions I could ask?

So far I have about what the management fee is and what it covers and what the composition of the apartment buildings is and if there is any social housing in the development.

Yep, and how much bills usually are, how they manage refuse and how parking is managed, what the process is for getting something fixed, or registering a complaint, how the management company works, etc.

Take your time while you're there and see if you can hear your neighbors. Suss out whether the adjacent apartments are rented or owner occupied, families, young kids, all this stuff can be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Brief update.. closed the sale on our new home. 8 weeks from sale agreed to closing. Felt we got some value as the house was renovated, extended and ticked the majority of our boxes. (generally looked at probates before and viewed over 45 houses in a year).

5 months between both sales. A painful enough year but we’ve a beautiful home. Looking forward to making lots of new memories with our young kids in it :-)

This thread helped a lot , esp. advice around viewing as many houses as possible and keeping an eye on all bidding etc. you get to understand EAs better and the market..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pay attention to how secure the lobby is and fire alarm / fire extinguishers / fire escapes etc

If its a post 92 apartment is there a fire safety cert

What is the heating system. Is it storage heating.

Car parking setup - assigned spaced or not.

Bike storage.

Does the intercom / buzzer work

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Really important to check that there is no remediation work yet to complete (eg fire protection works), and if there are have they been paid for. And if not you need to see details of the sinking fund and what is the budgeting. I would think that remediation is completed in apartment complexes now, but that’s the big risk you run…..having to pay up for work that’s not covered by the sinking fund.

I would be asking for the management company accounts as well, to see what is spent and how big the sinking fund is.

For example, I own an apartment in Dublin in which all the lifts are being replaced. it’s very well managed and there is a large enough fund to pay that, and the roofs which also need work. If money hadn’t been put aside over recent years, I’d be facing an extra unexpected bill

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Thistley

Seems to be slow across the board. We started a new mortgage application with another lender to see which one would draw down first. Our original broker replies to us super fast but still waiting on an answer to a question from the start of the week from the closing team. Do you know which pile your application is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Thistley

Good luck with it all. I would be interested to hear how smoothly the closing goes after your long journey. BOI is painful with all the really silly things they need - we applied to them too after the original lender taking forever. Not good for the blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Went sale agreed on a house 8 weeks ago the vendors haven’t even got the contracts to my solicitor yet seriously dragging at this point was suppose to get them this week. I was hoping to be in the house by Christmas but at this point I wouldn’t think so. As to top it off I suspect there will be a few issues with the contracts mainly around the planning permission but won’t know until the contracts come through.

I always thought getting through the bidding war and getting to sale agreed was the hard part seems that’s only the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No harm ringing and registering your details. That’s what I done over the last few weeks before buying.

• Advertisement

Curious here, what can the EA tell you about social housing? Would they know? Would you have any right to know?

What if 50% of the units are owned but rented out to social tenants? This wouldn’t show up as social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Fantastic news! Great to see.

an update on my own situation. My wife and I have decided to sell, now we’ve agreement with her parents that we move in there if we can’t find an alternative to rent whilst we look at buying. We do need to upsize,and this is the only way we can get a deposit quicker then saving for years, I know also we’d need at least 6 months rent/savings to match or better any new mortgage we apply for. So from selling to hopefully moving into a new home, I’m expecting 18 months at least for it to be all complete!

you can feel it getting cramped especially in the kitchen and with the kids their rooms aren’t functional, as I look at them now. Looking to get going in January and go from there then,

Possible tip for anyone buying a new build and worrying about interest rates.

You can get your final valuation done before you snag and the bank will release funds. Then just instruct your solicitor to hold the money until snagging is completed. It might save you a few weeks of worry.

I have zero idea this is the 1st viewing I have had since I got my approval it's just something that occurred to me. I didn't ask it in the end as the EA seemed clueless and very disorganised.

Open viewing today. The only other person at the viewing was an Asian lady.

I doubt she was the mythical one who works for a REIT as she was limping around on a crutch and had barely a word of English.

Apartment in Glasnevin, it was in reasonable condition would perhaps have needed a bit of work on the bathroom and if I was to live there I would probably install a new kitchen.

Agent said it had been on the market 3 weeks and hadn't had an offer. He was trying to persuade me to offer asking saying I would secure it if I did.

Think I am going to hold fire, there must be a slow down in progress if a property in Glasnevin has this little interest.

there’s a bun fight for houses, and still hearing of crazy bidding wars, but I think the market for apartments have been cooling significantly for a while. I think there’s really been a change in what people want since Covid. So I think you’re right in your view that there is no urgency here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

Relatives of mine recently sold a nice A-rated apartment in Dublin. It's totally different to the house market I had to go through, partly because the bulk of people they had viewing were older people downsizing, who didn't have the worry of interest rates going up affecting their judgement.

Make a list of desirable properties online and see what you feel comfortable paying for the apartment. There's no issues offering under asking if that's what you think it's worth.

Be prepared to walk away if you you think it's overpriced compared to others on offer.

One bed or 2?

Ive been to a view viewings of apartments up in Cityside, Lanesborough area of Meakstown/Finglas and they are all going sale agreed within 2/3 weeks.

Two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Sale agreed about 5 weeks ago, had the banks valuer up, contracts sent out etc.. I'd noticed though that the purchaser hadn't had a survey done and was waiting for the call about one being booked. I got onto the estate agent today to ask and she said he doesn't wish to get a surveyor.

I would have thought a survey was a pre-requisite? He's lucky there's nothing wrong with the place.

Advertisement