Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Very little I read of it is that you also need a BMS separately. I've a Huawei inverter but no battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

Yeah, I don't either. I was just chatting with them and they said I need to order the whole set for a 5kw storage system. Seems like it's overpriced or there could still be a misunderstanding.

It's all a bit confusing as like you said they are not labeling the parts correctly. I think "Box" might mean the inverter, which I already have.

I cancelled the order and they have approved it, refund is en route according to aliexpress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

All roughly twice the guideline except 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rossm444

hi all

I am new here so sorry if I have not read a lot of the previous. I got an on the phone quote as below. They said they are covering themselves and also allowing for scaffolding for install. They are coming on Tuesday to survey and then requote - what price should I be looking at - Dublin.

Based on a 20 Panel System 8kwh, and a power diverter, I can indicate a price of €12,000 Inclusive of VAT and after the New Grant has been applied.

Supply and installation of the following system (Subject to Site Survey).

• 8kwp system.
    • 400w all black Longi panels.
    • String Inverter
    • BER cert
    •  Power Diverter to heat the Hot water cylinder via an emersion
    • Fireman switch (needed to achieve grant standards)

·  

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RobSR

Hi

Could you have a quick look at the below a give your opinion please? It's the best quote I have received.

Longi 410W solar panel x 12 - 4.9kW

Solis RHI-6k-48ES 6kw inverter

PureDrive 5kW Battery

€13,500 Incl Battery

€8,600 without Battery (I will get the hot water diverter as an extra if I don't get the battery)

Price includes VAT and I have not subtracted the €2,400 SEAI grant.

I see some companies offer a pay monthly option with no upfront cost. I assume they work out more expensive in the long run?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Boards users have recommended a rule of thumb of €1.2k per 1Kwp + €1k per 2.5Kwhr battery, including VAT, after grant deducted. This is not a precise rule and quotes are often more, with some slightly less. However, the rule will stop you getting rolled over by one or two companies who chance their arm and quote prices several thousand over the rule of thumb with little justification.

From page 1.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RobSR

Thanks for that. So the quote minus the battery is good, but battery looks expensive. Are batteries easy enough to put in at a later date (by a proper installer)?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Batteries are a pretty easy add on from what I know but the need for a battery depends on your usage and your plan to a degree.

might you are set in getting a battery you need to get a hybrid inverter which is more expensive than one that will be simply grid connected so your supplier may be giving you a different inverter based on battery or otherwise. I’ve opted myself for a battery which I’m buying off the shelf.

if I had a little more confidence I may have opted for a self build if I was going it now.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Same here. No invoice yet. They are due back with a battery and some tweaking but no mention of $$ yet.

Odd practice, as I wouldn't like to have invoices outstanding like that but, it's their business..literally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

The price for adding the battery is far too high at nearly 5k. The quote minus the battery and grant isn't bad and with a hybrid inverter a battery is an option down the line when you see how your production and usage is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You cn buy a battery for 2-2.5k so I wouldnt be buying one for 5k. Quote looks good for hybrid inverter and no battery

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Hi folks, I've contacted 6 companies for quotes last week. So far only 1 has even got back to me (not sure if thats normal!)

Quote:

4.980 kWh (12 X 415 W) PV system

1x Huawei Hybrid inverter

1x Eddie water diverter

No battery

Cost inc VAT - €10,700

-grant of €2,400

Total: €8,300

--

Looks to be wayyyyyyy over the guideline price of approx ~€4200 after grant.

Am i right in this assessment?

Thats very expensive for no battery. At 8300 I'd expect a 5kWh battery included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Finally got a good quote

12 x 4.9 Kw mono crystalline panels

Inverter, Eddi diverter, no battery

€6,600 after grant

That's a good quote.

Just goes to show that prices from "The Guide" can be obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It looks like the saas company have gone very Active in their approach to solar.

7 panels for 68 per month over 10 years.

The days of them being the rule of thumb are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

Hi I have got 2 quotes which i will list below can i get your thoughts;

Quote A

5.74kw - 14 No. 410W Longi Panels

Solis Hybrid Inverter 3.6kW

7.2kWh Battery Storage

Roof Mounted

Total Price = £11,207 (excludes Grant which i dont qualify for)

Quote B

7.4kWh - 20 No. 370W JA Panels

Solis 6kW Hybrid

5.1 Dyness Battery

Roof Mounted

Total Price €14,750 (excludes Grant which i dont qualify for)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Quote A is (way) better than Quote B. If you qualified for a grant that would be beating the guidline (easily)

Inverter is a little small though, I'd be pushing for a 5Kw (or 6Kw) if you can as you may want to increase the panels down the road. Or take Quote A and work with them for 2 extra panels and a bigger inverter.

• Advertisement

That’s really expensive!!! Cost per kW of panels is €2494. Where did you see that new solar as a service figure? Don’t mean to quote the installer name but is it on their website, got quoted it, heard 3rd hand…..

Afaik some here did say they will 'horse trade' and add more panels at no cost. So you still pay the same rate but get more output.

Rest is the ‘back of the envelope’ to work back and see how I got to that. And I’m assuming 1) it the correct price 2) that excludes any ‘diverters’ like a battery or edit for hot water - so assuming it’s panels only 3) panels are 365w (which is gonna be close enough to not make much difference to the calc)

Working back to get to that: €8160 is cost over 10 years (120 months x €68 p/m) – €1800 grant (for 2kWp of grants) = €6360 cost to end customer.

So €6360 divided by size of system (which is 7 x 365w, or 2.55kWp) = €2494 per 1kWp

Link to SEAI grant amounts per kWp: Solar Electricity PV Grants | Home Energy Grants | SEAI

Price for option a is in sterling note.

They mentioned they cant put any more panels on the roof as its single phase supply anyone know anything about this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Northern Ireland grid rules are different.

Where we have 6kw, they have 3.6

So i should go back is there any rules on size of panels in ireland?

When you say grid rules can you advise what this means?

They have a quote function on the website where you an add however many panels you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

In the UK you are only allowed export 3.76Kw (or something there abouts) to the grid on single phase electrical supply (99% of houses). In the republic, that limit is 6kw. Meaning that if your in the Republic and connected up, you can have the big boy. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I pay 20e a month for 7 panels from the same company that were installed in May 2021.Looks like most of the installers are gouging now.

Does that mean you can put in a 9kw system on the roof if i want to as opposed to the 5.74 kwh system they are offering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I have a couple of quotes to compare,

first one is for 12 panels which I think is pretty optimistic based on our roof area, wasn't based on a site survey, just plans.

12x410W panels (4.92KW)

5kW hybrid inverter

5.2kW battery

full installation, etc. Total after grant is 10,885

Taking into account the battery this seems broadly in line with those guidelines ?

Second quote is for 6 panels, ...

6x405W panels (2.43KW)

5kW battery

Doesn't mention specific Inverter size.

quote is 9,219 after grant, or ~6000 after grant without the battery but with a hybrid inverter if we decide to upgrade at some point.

I would probably also want to go with 8 panels rather than 6, which would probably bump this up another 1.5/2 K

• Advertisement

What kwh system have people gone for with a single phase supply? Is a 9kwh system achievable?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement