Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of employees

Options
  • 10-10-2022 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

As of now sick pay for employees has started. The minimum wage is going up in January. Today the government announced employer pension contributions as mandatory once an employee pays in.

As a retailer times are extremely tough. Spend is down electric costs spiralling. I’m not sure how these added costs can be absorbed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Minor point but Payment of sick pay starts jan next year .Overall these are minor enough additional costs but obviously no additional costs are welcome at the moment.Could be the straw to break a lot of small businesses backs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BambooBob

Retailing is on its knees from what reps tell us and from our experience I would concur.

Unless margins and trade increase/bounce back its going to be impossible to meet the three additional employee cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Minor maybe but collectively with everything else we are heading towards very little left but maybe a few multiples and big restaurant chains like McDonalds etc.

Any small independent retailer / bakery / coffee shop will really struggle.

Even in bars / restaurants I've a feeling a place that was charging €5 for a pint last year could be €6 next year.

A steak that was €25 last year could be €40 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BambooBob

You are spot on. I think this is partially an effort by FF/FG to steal SFs thunder. The net effect will be a country much more expensive to live. The measures being introduced are laudable but the cost is going to be horrific in terms of jobs lost, businesses shut etc.

Advertisement