Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

We have 6 league fixtures up to Dec 26th; they include City at home next week and Spurs away. It is likely that on Xmas Day we will be a good distance off 4th so to me, the owners have a decision to make which is risk losing out on CL which would be a serious loss of revenue for the 2023/24 season or give Klopp the funds to buy a RCM. The owners have invested in the capital infrastructure of the club which is obviously beneficial to all and also if they ever decide to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

We've gotten to the point now where one midfielder is not enough. We need at least 2. Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago were run into the ground last year. We needed to move on Naby and Ox in the summer, thank them for their service and take what we could for them. It's like FSG have a HR approach - Naby and Ox count as 2 headcount in midfielders, in truth they are part-timers. Also Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago and Jones all have their injury issues so 8 head count in midfield is only 4 to 5 fit midfielders at any one time. In retrospect, we should have brought in a replacement for Wijnaldum last summer, one year up-to-speed and ready to step up now. Now we need 2 prime top level midfielders to refresh the team. Finding these at a price we're willing to pay seems unlikely. So much for working 3 transfer windows in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Have to agree with this, while I'm not happy with where we are, the club have done this to themselves. Our supposedly oh so clever transfer policy has blown up in our faces, the panic signing of Arthur was the last straw, but, very reminiscent of us signing Kabak and Ben Davies when we had no fit CBs; there was surely a better option out there and as for this nonsense of waiting for the "right player", that's an excuse not to spend, we got away with it in 20/21 season thanks to Alisson's miracle goal, but, penny pinching when all our main rivals are vastly outspending us is unsustainable and has finally caught up with us.

Signing youngsters like Elliot, Carvalho and Ramsay is fine, but, they aren't ready for first team action when the chips are down and it's unfair to expect much more than cameo appearances and a few cup appearances. We have held onto too many midfielders who aren't contributing anything due to injury or declining due to age, keita, Ox, Milner (great servant but, not up to it any longer) and Jones. The signs were there towards the end of last season, performances dropped especially from the 2nd leg away to Villarreal, which was understandably due to all the matches, that's why we needed a real refresh especially in midfield, some refused to see this in the summer and there are even a few who still refuse to see it. There's a lot said about how we were only 2 games away from the Quadruple, but, equally we were only a few penalty kicks away from nothing and apart from the fa cup semifinal against a below strength City, we didn't beat any top side last season, we also got a favourable draw in the CL.

The season is still salvagable but next week against City could be a low point as we are ripe for the picking and Haaland really could go to town on us, but, after next week we need to at worst maintain the gap between ourselves and the other top 4 rivals until the world cup break.

If used properly the world cup break might just help save our season, most of our players will get a rest which they badly need, plus the club need to have proper midfield reinforcements lined up at the beginning of January; unfortunately I fear the club won't invest properly in January, they will probably try to sign someone on the cheap and then say the right player was unavailable as they did in January 21 when all our CBs were injured. I still think we have a chance of top 4, but, we really need to get our act together to give ourselves a chance. I don't know whose to blame for our poor transfer strategy recently whether it's FSG, Klopp or a combination but, whoever it is needs to realise it's no longer working and something has to change.

My fear is that Klopp might do what he did at Dortmund and walk away at the end of the season, he has earned that right to do that if he feels he has given all he can and owes the club absolutely nothing, he has performed miracles in the last few seasons, but, it appears the club have punished him rather than support him with the transfer strategy and financial constraints. Obviously I hope he turns it around and stays around a few more years as we will be goosed without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Madrid have now started there public courting of Bruno Guimaraes now who I actually think would suit them better than Bellingham.

“I feel at home here! Real Madrid is the best team in the world. It is nice. It was just a conversation, but it is nothing.

Newcastle value him at £80m according to today's papers so he would be a lot cheaper than Bellingham

However they are doing what Madrid do and making it known where they want to build next season before they buy Haaland the season after that.

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Good post and I agree with all this, we won the CL in 2019 and bought Elliot, Van Den Berg and Adrian. For me, the issues go back to then when we were in a position to attract anyone and should have been adding 1/2 a window.

Yes, exactly.

We had a title winning squad that should have been built upon with key, important signings every season. You have to keep things ticking over. You look at all teams that have had sustained success, they all keep things fresh every season. There is always some part of the team that can be improved.

I see this problem as us kicking this can down the road, but every time we kick the can it takes on a bit of water and it gets heavier. Eventually it gets so heavy you can't kick it any more. That's where we are now. And we won't fix it in 1 window. The longer you let things slide, the harder the problem becomes to fix.

Our transfer policy this summer genuinely blows my mind. Why didn't we just pay the damn money for Bellingham. We can forget about signing him next year. All this talk about him being overpriced or no value out there or looking for the right player etc, just think how costly it's going to be when we aren't playing Champions League next year.

A massive, massive mistake, and one I fear we'll be paying for for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

remember the days of almost certainty of winning games , feels like the days of losing 7-2 to aston villa now

remember when everybody lashed FSG about the superleague and they apologised etc

should all the supporters bombard them with mails about lack of funds etc , would you reckon they would open the vault ?

imo its not klopps fault at all , it's old players , a long season last season and no new young players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its impossible to know who's to blame,

Sure Klopp & the club said they where going to sign Tchouameni , but last minute he opted for Madrid, So there a 100million that would have been spent so lets see what happens in January

Its very strange to say in October but next summer looks massive to which road the club goes down for the foreseeable future

This season is already a write off, lets hope we get a good champions league run & a couple of teams mess up in the second half of the season going for 4th ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Every post anyone at FSG makes on social media has always been utterly bombarded with nonsense from a section of 'pool fans, so I doubt a few more would make any difference.

Also, what vault? There's probably a bit more money to spend that the transfer committee are trying to be strategic with, but its not anything like the Utd situation for instance, where there is a lot more money being made that goes out to the owners and to service unnecessarily leveraged debt. The funds are the funds, there's no magic chest to be opened.

I think fans have a false image of what owners do... I really don't think the owners are all that hands on. They've appointed the people to run the club, who use the money that comes into the club accordingly. I think if the committee/Klopp had pushed for certain things to Billy Hogan and the money was there, they'd have spent it. They've made whatever calculated decisions they wanted to make balancing prospective signings against what we had and decided to hold firm for the moment to spend later, and clearly got it wrong. I don't get the impression the owners themselves are micromanaging the player market as long as the club stays self-sustaining.

(Also, whats the story with the 'space-comma-space' typing thing I see some posters using... is it a 'thing', or a glitch on the site or something?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So disappointed yesterday, if we played 10% better we could of got something from the game. We'd have blown away that Arsenal side last season, we are just so far off our standard, Nunez the only positive for me, he will be a challenge for every defender if the team can start functioning. He is well able for the premier league and that goal was a pure poachers finish. Drop him into the city side and he'd be in double figures already, Haaland wouldn't be able to hit a barn door in our side currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Regarding the Henderson/Gabriel argument, Arteta seemed happy enough to move on from it...

...which suggests, hopefully, that whatever was said is fairly innocuous. I find it very hard to believe that Jordan would say anything offensive, let alone racist. Fingers crossed it was something lost in translation and it blows over now

• Advertisement

Hendo could have asked him who he voted for in the Brazilian elections that is a very touchy topic for millionaire Brazilian footballers.

That is a quick and easy way to wind up Brazilian footballers who mostly all seem to support one candidate for some very strange reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Our possession, and shots are much the same as first 8 games of last season, maybe better this season. It's just not clicking, Palace United and Everton game, we had 65% 72% and 73% of it, and 70 shots, it resulted in 2 lousy goals. Even against Brighton we had most of it, 17 shots, 3 goal, while they scored with 3 of their 6 shots. We're not getting what we deserve, that's the most annoying thing, even yesterday, we deserved a draw, we deserved a penalty, we deserved better from the ref, we deserved fairness regarding cards issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The biggest worry for me is the lack of the press in the 2nd half, the lack of urgency, the lack of speed.

Bobby scored to make it 2-2 and what happened afterwards? Not a single attack of note and not a single shot at goal again until the 98th minute. I don't remember any notable period of sustained possession after the 2nd goal. Where was the desire to win the ball and attack again, let alone get a winner? Arsenal controlled the game, dominating in midfield in that time. But they were allowed to. And they did it well to be fair. The midfield 3 v 2 battle was outlined as a worry pre-game. It didn't really show up in the 1st half as Liverpool held their own and were probably the better team but 2nd half was a completely different story. This is when the worries showed up.

Maybe the players don't believe in themselves anymore, it's one mountain too much, one trip to the well too much. A decent break is needed for a few, to clear the heads. But they are not going to get the opportunity to do so. Trent & Diaz probably going to be missing for a while now, but where do VVD, Matip, Hendo, Fabinho get their mental rest? Robbo is going to be coming back into a tired team now.

Cups & top 4. There are still some positives and trophies to be won this season. Not winning the league is not the end of time.

See ESPN have said they didn't show the VAR lines for the Saka offside as Var didn't check them ,

They didn't check them because it didn't work, Saka was out of shot on all 5 camera when Whyte passed the ball ,

You can;t make this stuff up

None of us really know how the club works internally, but, the transfer strategy over the last 2/3 years has been poor. We had one of the best teams in Europe, a manager any top player would want to play for, going deep into Europe every season, yet clubs in mid table were spending as much and in some cases more. It was also clear the squad, particularly midfield needed reinforcements, as someone said earlier, even some of us idiots could see it, yet people whose job it is to see it didn't act on it. Ok they lost out on Tchouameni and Bellingham was unavailable this summer, but, there's more than those two midfielders in the world and surely a better option than Arthur and some of the midfielders we already have at the club was available. No one is asking us to break the Club financially, but, we are being consistently outspent by our main rivals, some of whom like Arsenal haven't had CL football for a few years and Spurs have spent a Billion on a stadium, much more than Liverpool have spent on Anfield and the training ground. There is clearly something not right with the current approach and hasn't been for a couple of years Klopp has worked miracles to keep us competitive and he may well be responsible for some of our transfer policy recently, I'm not sure whose fault it is, but, if it's not sorted we will fall further behind, fail to make the CL and it will take massive investment to get back into top 4 contention again, never mind challenging for the title.

That's nuts, and still no confirmation it was off.

What makes it worse is the Lino is told to keep his flag down in a thight decision & they can check it and then when VAR doesn't work they have to go by the on the pitch call, Its a total **** show

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I have accepted we won't compete with the top spenders in the league with these owners. They are not going to plough their own money into squad investment I think that has become clear. Liverpool are not their only project and certainly not their sole focus. They seem solely focused on increasing their portfolio of assets by buying other clubs / franchises in a variety of sports and then increasing the value of those assests. Falling out of the top 4 will hurt financially and their response if it happens will be telling for the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

"penny pinching when all our main rivals are vastly outspending us is unsustainable and has finally caught up with us"

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the term "unsustainable". We lashed out £85m on Nunez, did you miss that?

LFC has to live within it's economic means, we don't have sugar daddy owners. That means we can't outspend the oil boys and it also means there will be periods where rebuilding takes longer and results suffer. It also means the club is on a solid footing, sustainable long term and anything it achieves has been done through hard work and intelligence, not spunking oil money.

• Advertisement

FSG have said from the day the bought the club 12 years ago that they wouldn't be putting their own money into the club and the club would have to be self funding from it earnings on the pitch and through sponsorships this has never changed.

FSG dont even get into the top 10 of premier league owners when it comes to wealth they can be out spent very easily by those sugar daddy owners anyway.

They aren't going to put the club in financial jeopardy where it could go out of buiness again like it nearly did under the previous owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

That is ok when things are going well, continuing with that policy will likely result in a significant depreciation in the value of our club in the future. Klopp is a once off in terms of working with limited investment as he seems to be someone who could convince any group of people to bond, believe in a common aim and work steadfastly to achieve it. Missing top 4 this year will make it so much harder the following season to finish in the top 4 and then a cycle starts in the opposite direction. After 2/3 years of this, an asset valued at 4-5 billion will have a significantly lower value.

They have plans in place if Champions League isn't gotten.

This is good ownership.

Also with the new Champions League set up coming legacy clubs like Liverpool will get a place if they don't qualify

But with Champions League qualification remaining the Reds’ minimum goal this season, Hogan insisted that the club would remain sustainable even if they missed out, with FSG determined to continue building the club up both on and off the pitch.

“That (Champions League qualification) is always our goal at the beginning of the season,” he told SportBILD , quoted by Sport Witness . “Of course, qualification is important because of the turnover.

“But we manage the club in such a way that we make sure that we are as sustainable as possible. You can’t automatically count on Champions League qualification.

“ Jurgen wants to leave the club in a better shape than what he found it. He succeeded in Mainz, Dortmund and Liverpool.

“Sales have doubled since he arrived. The stadium will be significantly bigger. We have a new training ground. The club has grown significantly in the past six or seven years. We want to continue that because we think there is still a lot of potential.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'm not sure it's fair to solely put the blame on FSG, Klopp himself said he was happy with the midfielders he had until another injury happened and it was too late in the transfer window at that point.

If Klopp wasn't pushing for a mid, then I think he needs to take a fair chunk of the blame. I think FSG have backed him when requested. As mentioned, we spent 85m on Nunez, a club record, despite him really only having one stand out season to date, which I'd consider a risky transfer.

One of Klopp's biggest strengths is and could also be seen as one of his biggest weaknesses and that is his dedication to his players it is the reason players will run through walls for him and the reason he finds it hard dispense of them when a more ruthless manager would throw the players to the wolves and replace them without a second thought but also why they wouldn't have players run through walls for them.

This is who Klopp is and that will not change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Diaz out until after the World Cup according to reports out of Columbia. No surgery required though. When it rains it pours. One of the few Liverpool players who looked full of energy and running this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This is a fair point.

It looks like we spent money really badly this window.

• Advertisement

You must be disappointed not to have gotten a few likes at this stage.

What you posted is just a cop out. No one expects their club to match what State owned clubs spend. They can afford to spend vast amounts and if it doesn’t work, spend again. Liverpool haven’t spent on a blatantly obvious shortcoming in their squad.

There is no doubt that the club are a world away from the financial peril they were in under the previous owners, but FSG are NOT financially poor owners. They aren’t wealthy enough to be indifferent if an expensive signing doesn’t work out and replace him immediately, but they are wealthy enough to be able to spend some of their own money. Very soon it will no longer be a matter of paying the asking price, it will be a matter of players looking at the condition of the squad and realising that it is not competitive. In the article linked above, the chairman talks about the financial planning if Liverpool don’t qualify for the CL, what about the impact on player recruitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I honestly believe if we bought Bellingham this summer it wouldn't have been enough to stop what we are seeing . Weve been found out tactically and relentlessly exposed on Trent side time and again and still klopp persists.We have inexplicably weakened our team during the transfer window and it's hard to see where spark of change comes from as it's deeply rooted across the team.

Unfortunately Many of big players are the wrong side of 30 with huge mileage in their legs in last 12 months . We've gone having one of top 5 youngest teams in the league about 4 years ago to the oldest starting 11 . Against Fulham we had Hendo and Milner in the middle with combined age of 68 in the first game of the season.

We seem to have abandoned our moneyball policy of paying mid size money for potentially great players to the massive detriment of team ,holding off on huge profile type transfers when we could arguably get two quality mids for that price sooner and instead we sign Melo. Hard to see how klopp navigates out of this. The way we played after we went 2-2 was really concerning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I mean, obviously they could invest their own money... but why would they? The whole point of their ownership has been to build LFC into an entity that can actually function as a business, which they've done (with the help of a rake of interest free loans from them to allow us the bit of freedom to get our shït together).

To be honest, it's one of the few things keeping me more emotionally involved in Liverpool, amidst a league that's turning into an exclusive little 'rich assholes club'. I love that the club has built everything it's done of late off it's own back with good sound business decisions and clever recruitment on and off the pitch. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but if we turn into another pointless entity spending someone else's money, I think that'll be the point where I'll drift off a bit anyway...

Stat came up during the game yesterday we have the 18th oldest team in the league, says it all really.

If the investment couldn't of been made to refresh squad and keep key players, we should of sold one from time to time.

We are looking at a huge rebuild and change in style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Would the 18th oldest team not mean that there's 17 teams older than ours in the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Give me strength - It's this same small time corner shop mentality that held us back during David Moore and Rick Parry's tenure.

• Advertisement

Why would they? The obvious answer would be to stop the team deteriorating to the point where one of their biggest income streams, the CL would be in jeopardy.

I think there is a real risk of Liverpool slipping back into the pack and a manager like Klopp not being content with that.

Ya didnt phrase that right. Only 2 teams in the league are older.

Give me strength indeed.

Your silly analogy to a perfectly reasonable post

Joyce reporting TAA could be out for up to 3 weeks.

Robbo has returned to training.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Nothing "perfectly reasonable" about a fan saying they'll stop supporting a club with title aspirations if they start behaving financially like one. All businesses require investment to scale up. Fsg haven't put a penny of their own into the club bar a loan for stadium rebuild costs (with interest I might add- initially denied and then later admitted)

As of today they've increased the value of their investment by 2billion. They're laughing at us all the way to the bank while people prattle on about archaic notions such as living within our means.

Truth is they've plateaued as owners and can't grow the club any further. Winning the CL and PL we were told lead to no money for transfers as it'd all been spent on performance bonuses. Theres not another club with aspirations like ours who'd come out with similar claptrap. Time for Boston to sell up and take their billions with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I think we all accept the good work done by FSG on the financial aspect of the club. However it is not just a business, it is also a football club and you have to accept that fans ultimately want their team to be successful on the pitch. It's natural and it is unfair to label fans as spoilt or ungrateful for expressing their concerns about issues surrounding the squad and investment. Some fans like yourself might be content to be financially sound with any onfield success just seen as a bonus. It is unrealistic to expect other fans to share that view. Fans are concluding that the squad needs major investment to compete, more than what we would get from club generated revenue alone. It is a natural consequence that it will bring the fanbase into conflict with the owners if they are unwilling to change that.

Personally I don't think they will. I don't think the prospects of onfield success are good and I expect the fanbase will grow increasingly unhappy the longer it continues.

Actually it was apt in many respects, MU were spending more to buy the best players, and as a result had sustained success, Liverpool under Moores/Parry spent far less, as a result Liverpool didn’t win a Premiership title during their reign. If you want a further comparison, Moores was the owner when a magnificent team at the end of the championship era which aged and fell off a cliff because quality replacements weren’t brought in when necessary before the aging squad collapsed.

Even Carra on MNF calling it 4-4-2, but that 4 go into attack, so it's more 4-2-4. Calling out VVD and Matip for going up for a freekick, when it was impossible to score from it with a header, as it was so so far from goal, brainless decision to go up for a freekick like that, and then we concede when they break

________Alisson____
    __Konate___Matip___VVD
    ___Fabinho__Henderson_
    _______Thiago______
    Salah__Firmino___Jota
    _______Nunez_______

Kill em that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's a big blow for Diaz. A real live wire in the tema, gave real width and pace. The best player in the squad and just carrying the ball over long distances.

That might be the end of the 4-4-2/4-2-4 now. There's only 4 fit senior forwards left, so playing all 4 all the time would give no possibility of rotation and they all can't play every game.

I understand where you are coming from, but, we've seen very little clever recruitment in the last couple of years, up until we won the league our recruitment was excellent and the envy of every club the world over, since then our recruitment has been average at best, not strengthening obvious weaknesses in the squad eg the CB situation a few seasons ago and the midfield situation now were all fairly obvious weaknesses that weren't addressed, I don't really know whose responsibility for that, could even be Klopp. It's not even really about the money we are spending, but, the way it is being spent, holding out for the "right player" when we desperately needed at least one durable energetic midfielder and we go and sign Arthur???, yet they were prepared to pay whatever Tchouameni's fee was, surely they should have had an alternative to Tchouameni lined up in the event we didn't get him, instead we panic sign a player on loan whose not even fit enough to play. Had we signed someone who could have gone straight into the team, our results might have been slightly better. We all know we can't compete financially with City and some of the other big clubs, but we are being outspent by mid table clubs who aren't even getting close to Europe. Our poor recruitment recently is why we are where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

You just have to laugh at this stage with the injuries, worst thing is Oliver waved play on in the play that injured Diaz even going as far to tell him to get up.

We should get a Sheik of our own

Every team in the league should.

That will make the league better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The ball hit Gabriel’s chest first so can’t be a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

What a sad and stupid reply. I couldn't care less about likes. FSG are financially responsible and honest about their approach i.e. the club has to be self financing. This somehow seems to frustrate you? Do you expect the club to not be self financing? How exactly would that work? FSG just spunk their cash until they run out of it and then what? We have to get new state / oil / "tycoon" owners who will play with the club for a few years then rinse and repeat?

One of the things which makes Liverpool a club worth following is its heritage and that it hasn't bought its way to success.

• Advertisement
Advertisement