Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,255 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you cannot prove who you are upon landing with a valid document you should be given detention until the next flight that you came on returns..the state and us the citizens have nothing to gain by admitting unknown persons into the country…

CCTV at the airport will determine what aircraft and at what gate you disembarked… therefore where you came from…

Travel will be facilitated by way of an ATA Carnet ticket… with two accompanying security / Garda designees…preferably one of each, security guard and Garda…up until you finally disembark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Of course there are ways but they just need to want to enforce it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

"Pretending that the addition of migrants is akin to adding a new city is a ridiculous idea, it’s not akin to adding a new city because......

(wait for it... )

.................they’re spread all across the country,"

The logic of a liberal.

----------------------------

Liberalism is a religion. Its tenets cannot be proved, its capacity for waste and destruction demonstrated. But it affords a feeling of spiritual rectitude at little or no cost.

David Mamet

I'm thinking of most European and other airports I've passed through or arrived at.

You head into the airport area, check in for your tickets (which requires ID), either drop off luggage (which requires ID and tickets) or head to the restricted area (which requires ticket, and ID along with being scanned), then head to the boarding gate (being scanned again), the plane is called for and after queueing, your passport is checked along with your ticket. (and depending on the country you're leaving from there could be even more checks/verification required)

Land at transfer point, or destination, approach through a mostly deserted tunnel to customs/immigration with passport/visa checked, before being allowed into the baggage area.

All the while, there are security cameras everywhere. It's virtually impossible to travel by air without having documentation, or for your face to be captured at multiple stages throughout the whole experience.

Airports and their carriers are businesses, which means they accumulate information about everyone who uses their services. The idea that someone can arrive in Dublin airport or any airport without knowing what flight they were on, their connecting flights, their original country, etc is ridiculous. It runs counter to all the security considerations that were implemented after Sept 11.. and continue to this day.

Anyone who doesn't have documentation or doesn't have a visa should be returned to their original country, with the original airport/airline carrier that brought them here footing the cost. They're ultimately responsible for checking visas, passports etc.

It astounds me that anyone would accept that we can't return those who arrive here. It boggles the mind.. the person who thought up this logic must have never travelled by modern air in their lifetime because everyone leaves a major paper trail behind them.

Asylum claims should only ever be accepted from an embassy outside of Ireland. That's what happens with the US and other countries. Anyone who arrives in Ireland without a visa should be returned to the place they came from. No ifs buts, or whatever.

However, the simple truth is that there's no political will to enforce such a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Notwithstanding the fact that you’re way off base suggesting I’m any sort of liberal mind, on the contrary, I’m just not a spiteful fcuknugget either.

And my point stands - the implication the poster was making is that immigrants coming into the country are akin to a densely populated urban area, whereas in Ireland that’s clearly not the case - immigrants ARE spread all across the country. The point being that you wouldn’t notice them unless you specifically went looking for them, and then you’d have to inquire about their legal status, because immigrants don’t wear an identifier which marks them out as immigrants.

And as for the absolute space cadet you’re quoting, have you any idea of his political views? From the disconnect between your point of view and his, it’s clear you don’t -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Mamet

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User] they had a passport and maybe a real or fake visa when they boarded the plane, but they destroy them when they arrive here, somewhere airside between the plane and the immigration booths. And of curse there are solutions, better checks and biometrics at departure, fines for the airlines, anything but let them in and certainly not entertain any asylum claim from such persons - because the very reason they destroy their passports is that they know they have no real reason to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

He is right tbf. Its worse, cities usually being with them new facilities and services, this us just piling people into existing overstretched services

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Another fine young individual, good strong irish name there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Was he the doctor or the engineer that we were bringing in.

I don't understand that TBH. Fake visas. How does that work? I would assume that European countries would be better organised than Asian ones, and in my experience of the Asian airports (and the European ones, like Frankfurt) is that all visas are checked digitally as they're tied to the persons passport. God knows, I end up spending enough time at their security booths while they compare the older photos used for visa application with my passport, and also with my own physical appearance. Beards really get them wondering what's going on.

The point is that visa's and passports aren't restricted to their physical components. They're digital too, both in the various governmental systems and those of the airport/airline. Destroying or losing your passport/visa shouldn't affect anything because you've left a paper trail behind you. A very easily traceable one, at that.

There's something else going on. I appreciate you're not defending the situation as it is.. but it makes no sense to me as a reason to justify the destruction of passports/ID etc. It shouldn't matter in the slightest.

• Advertisement

I think he does both, talented individual.

Jokes a side, this is a worry about the people that are coming in, Christ knows we have our own problems, don't need to import more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Way too late now.

We have 1000s and 1000s of unknown and undocumented men from all places of the world.

Let's say on a direct flight from Bulgaria to Dublin the staff in Bulgaria are not airline employees and don't give a crap if the airline gets fined so they only do the minimum required when checking visas. It's very easy to pass through with a fake visa. Without even considering bribes, which are certainly a possibility - after all no harm done to their country, win-win, the non-desirable goes away and they make some dough. So the illegal is now on its way to Dublin and so far Ireland couldn't do anything about it. The plane lands, the illegal disembark and find themselves in the airside part of the airport, before any checks. Their passport is in pieces in the airplane waste tank. They cannot be identified and they cannot be deported. You can't identify a person using CCTV, not for the purpose of deporting them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s only a worry for the sort of paranoid, ignorant gobshyte that thinks there’s any correlation between men, immigrants and sex offenders.

Too late for what? Sex offenders have always existed in Ireland; most of them who were convicted, were guilty of committing offences against members of their own families or relatives, like this case -

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-jailed-sexual-assault-cousins-5889788-Oct2022/

Or this case -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/teacher-who-raped-his-little-brother-when-they-were-children-is-jailed-41273333.html

Or this case -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/i-will-never-forgive-him-woman-sexually-abused-by-brother-waives-right-to-anonymity-so-he-can-be-named-and-shamed-42056051.html

Being a man or an illegal immigrant doesn’t make anyone a sex offender; that’s one hell of a leap you’re making, and as far as the figures go, estimates of illegal immigrants in Ireland are about 20,000, including about 3,000 children -

Size of the group

Most undocumented migrants in Ireland entered the country legally, and later became undocumented. The majority reside unknown to the authorities. No official data exist on the size of this group and estimates are difficult. In 2020 the NGO, Migrant Rights Centre Ireland, estimated that there were 17,000 – 20,000 undocumented persons in the State, including 2,000 – 3,000 children.

https://www.esri.ie/news/new-scheme-could-significantly-reduce-the-number-of-undocumented-migrants-living-in-ireland

Estimates of the number of convicted sex offenders are significantly lower than that figure -

Number of Offenders subject to the Sex Offenders Act 2001

The latest figures available from An Garda Síochána are that there are 1,708 persons who are currently subject to the reporting requirements of Part 2 of the Sex Offenders Act 2001.

Included in that figure is a total of 319 sex offenders being supervised by the Probation Service in the community, and 192 are on post release supervision in the community by the Probation Service.

The remainder are notifying at Garda stations.

In addition to those currently subject to the reporting requirements, there are 433 people in custody convicted of a sex offence since 2001 who will be subject to reporting restrictions on release.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/337bd-monitoring-and-management-of-sex-offenders-strengthened-through-bill-announced-by-minister-mcentee/?referrer=http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR21000273

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

And it would still be easy to determine which airline they used, or what flights they came off. Remember any time you arrived in Dublin Airport? The route to the baggage/arrivals area was always empty except for your own fellow passengers, leading to security. (even though I would still consider the airline to be responsible and likely know every detail, including their images, of every passenger)

Also, it's not restricted to CTV. All the security/custom booths have cameras to record who enters a country. They're everywhere.

Sure, I can appreciate that someone might fly into Ireland from a **** little airport bypassing most of the heavier security that tends to go with the connecting airports (who are very careful about terrorism, and so, the identification of passengers).. however, that still doesn't explain how they go from the plane to security without leaving any kind of trail that can be followed. It doesn't make sense.. even with the lazy unprofessional manner of Dublin airport staff.

What's more it doesn't explain the lack of pressure on Dublin airport to implement better measures to protect those in the airport. Such carryon poses a real risk of terrorism, since if it's that easy to travel without the usual checks and balances, then it's also easy to bring dangerous item with you.

Honestly, I don't buy it. Sept11, and the various hijacking or terrorist acts in Europe have changed the way travel occurs. While it's easy to travel from little airports in France or Spain to Dublin, there still must be the same security considerations for other longer flights... and the identification of passengers as a result of that security.

Just need Le Penn and Geert to get in, then Europe might finally start taking back control of their borders

There are ample opportunities to mix and match passengers from different flights on the section between stands and immigration and I've seen it happening multiple times. And a passenger who cannot be identified cannot be deported anywhere, and they cannot be sent back to the country the flight originated if they are not a citizen of that country. The only option is to detain them until they are identified and this is what Irish authorities should do, is that simple. If they can hold an Irish citizen for months for contempt in a high security prison certainly they can hold illegal immigrants as well. Maybe in the same prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Some people are making a nice profit from a policy that's arguably ruining our nation.

The more numbers, the more money there is to be made, until there's none left and we all suffer for it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bit strange moving Ukrainian women and children from Kerry to Mayo when they were working and settling into the area to make way for a crowd of chancers from North Africa.

“Some 16 nationalities are among the 192 MALES who are seeking international protection, including from Libya, Algeria, Iran and Georgia. They were bussed to Hotel Killarney on Saturday from City West.”

Doctors and engineers and astronauts…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Doubt the local community will be happy to have that many unvetted young men arriving in the area.

As I said above the Ukrainian women were doing their best to settle in and contribute unlike these lads who will just be loafing around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Ireland has a higher percentage of total population of people who were born overseas living here than almost every other country in Europe .

Higher than France, Germany, Spain, Denmark etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

That explains a hell of a lot.

Every single time.....

Haha... they're identified by their passport information which all airlines collect as part of both the processing of airplane tickets (commercial), and getting on to the plane itself (security). Your passport is scanned by both airport (multiple times) and airline staff. It's scanned into a database, likely used for consumer analysis, but it's there nonetheless. Not having their passport on arrival changes nothing. They were still recorded when they obtained their tickets, and when they got through the various levels of security to get on to the plane.. Considering the numbers of people who apparently manage to lose their passports, and gain access to Ireland, your scenario of corrupt officials isn't going to cover most of them.

Identifying them is not difficult. Simply contact the airlines for the time period related to entry, compare the passenger manifest, remove those who have arrived with identification... and who do you have remaining? It's not rocket science. Hell, I could write the code to do it myself, if they couldn't be bothered to check printouts.

Then, contact the airline themselves for the details of the passport along with payment information used.. and bobs your uncle. You've got these idiots identified. All of which could be done within an hour or two, especially if the airline faces losing it's contract to do direct flights to Dublin... which only the bigger airlines do. In this age of post-covid, no airline is going to want to lose any established route.

None of this is hard. At least it shouldn't be. The only reason that it is seen to be hard is because there are those with skin in the game. Somehow. And on the off-chance that none of the passenger manifests or flight/consumer information helps.. their personal possessions will likely explain a lot about them.

I was a credit controller. It's got lots of fancy names, but ultimately I collected bad debts for companies from the relative comfort of my office chair. It is very very difficult to completely disappear these days. Everyone leaves trails behind them. Credit/debit cards, phones themselves logging into shared accounts, etc. A whole lot of services that people use and forget that are there, many of whom provide GPS data. A lot of which is not considered completely "private" and can be traced by various "licensed" companies. Then, there's the level above those companies, who cater to the governments around the world, and who have access to all manner of databases. I've known people to disappear from their homes, leave the country, and then, be picked up a few weeks or month later, because ultimately, people are stupid. Most of them lack the dedication to completely end one life, and start a new one fresh, without any connections to their past. (I know what's involved and I wouldn't be able to do it) All of which can be used to track them down. Not spygames. Simply a network of information that spans most developed and developing nations... because money talks.

I'll put it another way. When I went to live in China, I changed everything. Phone, bank accounts, etc. Even email accounts, and social media accounts. Due to the way China operated, while I could have maintained my past accounts, it just wasn't worth the hassle at the time (I learned later how to do it). However, regardless of how corrupt and awkward Chinese companies are.. every bank account I had (I've had 6 there), all my electronic transactions, etc were recorded, and made available when my international bank sought details (without my knowledge) when I was looking to expand my credit limit. This isn't because China is a police state. The same systems exist in most countries [Due to all the international conventions and interest in stopping fraud, all bank accounts connect to identification, including photos, and often a passport is required now).. and you'd have to be living in the absolute sticks without any internet your whole adult life to avoid making a mark on the world.

If there was the political and State will, to track these people down and identify them... then, it wouldn't be hard to identify these people quickly, and get them back on a plane pronto as illegal immigrants. But then, I suppose our political elite want more undocumented migrants, so... there is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,255 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So you hit the airline, the person checking documents for the airline is their contracted ground handling agent.

if X airline flys a route and they carry a passanger that arrives who shouldn’t ? The government can simply refuse them the ability to land in or even overfly the state…

The thing is, without travel documents you can't deport someone, no airline will accept them. You can indeed identify them based on passenger manifests and all that but that assumes that they had genuine passports when they traveled and you have the full cooperation of agents from foreign countries that may be motivated to avoid cooperation. But don't think I'm defending the Irish authorities. These people should be deported and the authorities must make all the required efforts to do so, and detain them until then for as long as it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

"Africans commit 20% of the rapes in our country despite the fact that, demographically, they only account for 2.4% of the population"

Go away with your racist facts and statistics!

What in gods name do the government plan to do with these 1000s of undocumented men from Africa???

Just keep them in hotels forever?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No move them to social housing where they will live forever

Advertisement