Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Huge waste of ordnance just to prove they can still hit Kiev. All It has done is expedited air defense cover for the Ukrainians. Pundit on the French news channel made an very salient point. Russia just S*unked these weapons that could be used to defend against the so called NATO attack. Makes zero sense if they believe NATO is going to attack. Cant be replaced easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I saw a video of a 6km tailback of those wanting to cross the bridge, so there probably is some traffic, but it must be very limited. That traffic was of vehicles wanting to leave Crimea.

The demise of the USSR was financial, and that is what will happen here. I think there is a greater chance of complete economic collapse in Russia than either side agreeing to peace.

If Ukrainian figures are correct, Russia just spent $1.25 billion worth of missiles to achieve no military advantage. They don't have many missiles left and the embargoes are so successful they are raiding consumer products for chips. They can't even make more tanks as of March and it's doubtful they can make many missiles, and certainly not at a rate to replace those used.

It's very telling that the Russians have had to repurpose ground to air and anti ship missiles for ground attack because of running low of ground attack ones.

The Head of Ukraine's cyber security was killed in yesterdays attacks.

Yuriy Zaskoka, head of the department of the Cyber ​​Police Department, was killed during the morning shelling of Kyiv.

The law enforcement officer was at the epicenter of the explosion when he was driving to work in his own car

I am deeply suspicious about that being just bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

And #1 in terms of emigration of Russians (fleeing the country).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I don't think the Russians have the capabilities or intel assets in place to carry out this sort of attack. He was just unlucky.

As I said yesterday these attacks on nonmilitary targets just prove how desperate Putin and his junta are and just how useless their military are. They can't compete against the Ukrainian military so they just attack civilians, pathetic.

Word of advice for many on this thread: it is possible to dislike America, American hegemony and overseas policy while not turning everything into “what about the yanks”. It is also possible that America can on a rare occasion end up on the right side of an issue.

A lot of us have severe problems with US policies and actions but this thread is about Russia and because of their illegal invasion of Ukraine since 2014 that is taking up most of the discourse.

When I see some users say "Bad thing about Russia" and then add a "but" we know what their game is. The current situation is not a grey area at all, Russia violated a sovereign countries territory and has tortured and murdered the citizens of that country. There should be no "buts".

I took it to mean possibly Ukraine did some tidy up themselves.

I think you need to stop reading the conspiracy theories forum 😉

• Advertisement

exactly,if they struggle now,its to late when winter comes

How many bridges have been destroyed in Ukraine you think?

Just because it happens to be the only bridge connecting Crimea to russian mainland and all off a sudden its all bad?How many civilians was killed?none

How much infrastrukture do you think Russia have destroyed in the last 8 months.?And how many civilians have been killed?

Last missiles attack from Russia 100+ missiles and drones didnt target any strategic military targets hardly,only civilian infrastructure,what does that tell you.

And yes i am cheering,you know why,because now Russia will have problems supplying their troops in Crimea and reinforce the frontline.

Meaning less rapes,murders and massgraves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Possibly but just as likely this war will just rumble on for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I do not think it will. Russia will struggle to replace the military hardware it's expending at present.

The mobilisation is a disaster. When these young men get to the front they will only be cannon fodder. Russian is now digging in tanks as they cannot keep them going. This is similar to Sadamm Hussein army in the Gulf war. Tanks that are not mobile are useless, they are not even good artillery as if you are out maneuvered they cannot retreat.

The Russians cannot stabilize the present front. Can they stabilize it at the positions that were held before the start of the war.

There other problem they have is if Georgia or some other republics see this as a chance to get the Russian yoke off there neck. Or you get a revolt in Belarus As well what if Poland or the Baltic republic's decide enough is enough.

I believe the senarios above are unlikely but Russia is putting itself in a place where total collapse is not out of the question.

Has Russia the logistics to supply a million troops along the Ukrainian front line from now until next March. If they survive that long can they rearm to continue the war.

The only way I see that happening is if they can source war materials from outside Russia, that means China. Is China willing to supply Russian with 15-20 billion euro/ dollars worth of war materials and go head to head with the US and Europe in supplying a military theatre.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Field east

That’s your wisdom for the west and your vision for the eastern countries - and particularly Ru- is —————-.

At the end of the day China is not going to do anything that damages their ability to trade with the West. So I highly doubt they will supply Russia with anything more meaningful than "thoughts and prayers".

The only outlets that Russia can tap up for rearmament is Iran and maybe North Korea.

They certainly won't replenish their armour losses from either of those sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭20silkcut

in fairness there are 35-40 million people of Irish descent in the US. Legacy of British incompetence in this country in the 1840’s which so beautifully came back to bite them in the present day brexit fallout with the US . It is not in the interest of any US president to ignore that demographic and if anything that has only exponentially increased in importance since ww2 when relations with the US were at a low point. People say this country punches above its weight in world affairs but remember no other country in Europe suffered such a catastrophic population collapse as Ireland did in the 19th century even the most war ravaged countries of Europe in the 20th century did not have the demographic collapse that Ireland had. The US diaspora is the silver lining in that gloomy cloud and is where the missing Irish population are. So the current situation of US hegemony very much works in our favour. Remember the last time a Russian president visited here he couldn’t be bothered his bollox to get off the plane at Shannon. That’s where we stand with Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,152 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

that time they hacked our health service

Yet, the EU are still supplying them with medicines and medical equipment.

Because it would be immoral not to, something something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thousands and thousands emigrate to America from all over the world each year,,,and from Russia too., even now. A damn sight more than are migrating to Russia (flow is the other way round from Russia) but should that mean that the US should have an open borders policy? And no controls over who comes in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

In his defence, I think Yeltsin was, er...too "tired and emotional" to exit the aircraft.

As tired and emotional as a newt, apparently.

Should be played 24/7 outside the russian embassy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That is clearly a really poor attempt at a comedy sketch from years ago.

"It's hard to see past rewarding terrorism. Someone has to reward terrorism."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

They were far too gentle getting her to the ground, but were probably concerned for the pavement. The woman passing with the child didn't seem to approve, just goes to show context is everything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I take your points on the tank/anti-tank point. I suppose the major problem is training and maintenance if they get supplied with Western tanks? Back of the fag packet costs of say an Abrams tank versus an NLAW anti tank missile, one tank is the same price as 400 NLAWs and the latter has pretty much no maintenance and little training. The fancier Javelins are way pricier, but even so you'd get over a hundred of them for every Abrams.

On this point:

For all their merits, Ukraine are not a modern Western army, and don't expect them to fight as well as one.

Again this is just me musing as a rank bloody amateur but... When I look at modern Western armies(and Russian for that matter) the wars they've fought over the last fifty years have been asymmetric conflicts(yeah I had to look up the right term😊). Where for the most part they were fighting under equipped insurgents. Wars where the modern Western military had overwhelming air superiority out of the gate that ground troops could rely on when they were for the most part fighting against warlords and shepards with AK's, RPG's and IDE's. OK we had the Iraqi war, but that was pretty asymmetric too. The Iraqi airforce legged it on the first day or two, so that wasn't in play and the US had overwhelming advantage in every other capacity.

Even so these insurgent wars were no picnic, which is something I suspect Russia's going to have to deal with for years in the areas they have taken. I suppose my point would be that although Ukraine are not a modern Western army, they do have on the ground training in old style military against military war, the like of which Western militaries haven't dealt with since the Korean war. If we were to take an "average" US or UK soldier who had served tours in Afghanistan where they had come under attack, the fighting in Ukraine would be quite different, at least initially. How many Western veterans have been under sustained artillery fire for example, or had to deal with tanks and regular army forces, or had to deal with the numbers of casualities happening in short timeframes?

Now I have no doubt that if Russia were facing NATO they'd be utterly and completely screwed. Their airforce would be stains on the ground within days, their comms would be reduced to waving flags and smoke signals and what shipping they had in the Black Sea would be unwilling submarines, but if the Russian land forces stayed and fought I suspect it wouldn't be so easy at first because of this older WW2 style warfare.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

If there's whataboutery, attempts to derail, etc, you should use the 'Flag' button. Unlike some of the other threads, this one is actively moderated and as far as I know the Flag button now works but am open to correction on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement