Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Wow. You got a decent price on that compared to now

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Got a quote last week for a 7.885kW Total Solar Power system for a house in rural Galway

Seems a bit pricey based on guidelines, the company providing the quote are adamant their product and service are of the highest quality but I'n not convinced the cost is worth it.

19 x 415 Watt Jinko Tiger Neo Panels

Huawei 6kW Inverter

Huawei 5kWh battery

3.68kW diverter

€18,800 total system price (inclusive of VAT)

€16,400 after SEAI grant

Any thoughts on the overall price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

The cost of Huawei equipment is expensive, you can get the equivalent set up with as good a quality components for a hell of a lot less, thousands less.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Joke of a price.

I'm so sick of the Huawei sales pitch. Is the stuff better? Maybe. Is it worth a 40-50% premium over anything else? Of course not.

I went on the site earlier and couldn't believe the increases they have put on for the 2 systems they offer. I'm glad I didn't go with them after months of chasing them last year with no communication if that's the road they are taking now. No reason for that much of an increase apart from gouging while everyone is in the sh1t with electricity costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I got a quote last week from SaaS company, it was 10 x 400w panels plus Eddi for €61.50 a month after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

SaaS is getting expensive, but it will be the only option for people without the luxury of a capital lump sum.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

i could only find one company doing it and couldnt get in contact with them via phone/email etc..

Is the Huawei stuff better? And in what way? Last longer, better output and under what conditions.... I have 2 Huawei invertors and don’t see any output gain on my E/W split compared to others here. Ok, one string only has 3 panels, another only has 4 (have 4 small roofs). And bit I read says that having less panels drags the inverter efficiency down - meaning those 2 stings won't have great output). But would be the same with any invertor as that's all the roof allows.

It's rated for outdoors (mine are outside) but that's a nice to have instead of being in a hot attic in summer (others have fans pointed at theirs as works in the attic).

I got Huawei inverter as it was all they could get at the time (no stock of usual Fronius ones they used).

Ok, it’s hybrid so I can get a battery. But you’re locked into only 2 types of battery (Huawei and LG Luna) and they are high-voltage DC and way more expensive than likes of the (low voltage) pylontech ones. From bit I read, the high-voltage DC battery has less losses. So maybe this 2nd Q is is there much efficiency gain from a high-voltage DC battery V a low one.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

Revised Quote Received:

9.02kWp - 22 No. Longi PV 410w Panels

6kW Solis Hybrid Inverter

7.2kW Battery

Wifi Connection

£14,537.25 excluding grant

Roughly €16,500 incl VAT & Excluding Grant

Good Deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Long time no post on boards.

This is a cautionary post for those choosing an installer.

I had a PV system installed during the summer, and I'm deeply regretting using the company that did the install.

The company is based in Newry and isn't on the installer list for the SEAI grant, but the parent company is and that's what is used to apply for the grant. The parent company is an electrical contractor and is two names... Mxxxx & Mxxxx. The same address and directors as the PV company.

I never asked this company for a quote, but the (now "retired") salesman from a well regarded installer came to my house for a site inspection. I had received a quote from Enniskillen and this site visit was arranged by the salesman following that. I have learned since that the salesman parted ways with the Enniskillen company after a fall-out. I accept full responsibility for a lack of care when I signed up for the install with this new company.

My roof has been butchered. A competent roofer has said that it is now dangerous, with many unsecured slates. The panels will need to be removed to facilitate repair work. There is also damage to a Velux roof window, causing internal water damage. Legal proceedings are underway.

PM me for company details. I will respond to as many as I can. I don't use Boards much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I like that. It's a kick ass system, on the money regarding the guidlines, but I'd push them for €500 off if you can. The big systems like this are much more econmical for the suppliers. They have guys on the roof. Costs the same to get them out to install 10 panels or 20 panels, so the bigger systems have a better profit margin for them.

That said I wouldnt't feel aggrieved paying €14K for that (post grant) as it's a super system. I assume you have the usage for 9kwp. That's large. Circa 8000-8500Kwhr production per year.

Currently using 10,500kwh a year and only 2 of us in the house. With children that will increase. And planning to get an ev.

The house is an air to water heat pump with mhvr system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Not that you need my approval (LOL), but that makes sense. Reason I asked of course is that I wouldn't want to see you waste money buying a system which is too big for your needs and you'll effectively never use it to it's full potential. Heat pump, EV, kids = plenty of reasons to get a big system

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No, I'd expect that about 6000k plus price of eddie at 500 (i paid 460 last month)

So about 6500 after grant

5KW Battery 2500 on top of that if you need it

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I went back to the company to see if they can negotiate on price, will see how that goes!

ps. I like the Beverly Hills cop reference in the username

Has anyone had any issues with install system on slate roof and potential leak issues?

Hey @Silent Running, on your cautionary post for those choosing an installer I’d echo the sentiment for others. I know prices are nuts at mo so customers are under pressure to reduce costs for installs. But check who they are, how many they have done, how long are they doing solar, what type of houses do they typically do, do they normally do industrial (a house is very different), what % of their business is solar, are they a general sparks / roofing company that sub-contract out for any work they get…

Are they a roofer and a sparks that decided this is the future but don’t have a history in it, but starting for the 1st time? I know of sparks moving into it to do it for themselves because there is work in it. 1 doesn’t even have solar themselves. So are going to learn on the job (your house!!).

And they could be excellent at it even though new to it (everyone starts somewhere), but once you know their background you’re more informed. 

Our installer was used to large homes in rural areas. Ours is not that - very small '2 up, 2 down city house' and smallest they had done. And took way longer than they expected. Attic is tiny to work in, 4 v. small roofs - so all a lot slower than a single S facing roof. So that difference was something I hadn't considered. That said they were and are a decent installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not so far Mickey

I wouldn't be overly confident they will do much. It's nearly a sellers market at the moment, and the reason why the others are slow to get back is that they're ran off their feet with their enquiries. Hence why I was anxious to get our installation done in Sept. Same company up in Enniskillen have a lead time to the start of April now. They ultimately acquired 3 months work in 1 month.

The inverter you've been priced for is known to be expensive and from what I read here, not worth the premium

I find, with alot of the solar companies they can be a few snake oil salesmen in it, giving it the big technical sell, they literally want to get the foot in the door

Take your time, post the quotes don't worry if the replies seem blunt, it's almost because they can nearly tell by the contents and prices who supplied you with them.

You get there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭alexf1

I've gotten a couple of quotes in for a 6kwp system with no battery. Sent out a good few quote request so hoping on a couple more quotes but the 1st one seems reasonable.

1st one is €9800 (so €7400 after grant) 16x 375w Bisol panels, Sofar 6kw inverter.

2nd is €11600 (so €9200 after grant) 15 panels and 6kw inverter.

I also got a quote from Solar as a Service company (after months of trying!)

11 panels (4.4kwp) for €59.50/month for 120 months or 7 panels (2.8kwp) for €37.50/month for 120 months. The grant is included in price.

I got quotes off the company you refer to, I asked for a site survey so they could see the rooms I wanted to install 3 Infrared panels and no joy. Order and buy and either pay them installation fee or fit myself or feck off. I fecked off. I'm still interested and I think @unkel bought a 600w on Amazon so hope he updates us on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

hi folks,

when installing a split array (front + back of roof) would this be an additional cost? especially considering they would need scaffolding for front and separate for back.

I have a quote thats high for the formula provided, but they said its because of above (split roof and double scaffolding)

for a 12 panel system, 6 front, 6 back - total is 4.98kw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

You are limited by the size of the inverter not the panels.

6kwh inverter is the maximum on a domestic single phase

TBH 9kwh of panels would be the maximum for a 6kwh inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Run away from that bull shxt. Better quotes can be gotten without the pressure sell.

i dont think its a crazy price.. thats a lot of panels.. Huawei battery/invertor probably driving up the cost. im at 11.6 after grant for 6.5kw with invertor/8.2kw givenergy battery

I'd argue it's 3500 to 4000 over priced, unless we deem the extra value of Huawei is worth that. Which, I don't think any brand will out perform another that much kw for kw

agreed but i think its the brand pushing up the price potentially over the installer..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Abromavich

Hey - Just got the following quote:

System size: 4.8KWp

Leapton Tier 1 Panels 12x400W

Solis Inverter: (included)

Wireless monitoring + extra monitoring capability: (included)

Warranties - 25 years for both performance and panel, up to 10 years on inverter and battery.

Whole system Workmanship warranty - 5 years.

System cost (without battery): €9385 (VAT included)

Less solar grant: -€2400 for panels

System cost after grant (without battery): €6985 (VAT included)

lead time is currently 12-14 weeks.

Any thoughts - or should I keep looking? Any recommendations of suppliers in the Dublin area?

• Advertisement

Not the worst out there but I'd say about 1000 too expensive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement