Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pushback against Leftism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

It's only ever spaces like here that this stuff appears. There is a certain audience that laps this stuff up. Most people who believe in common sense don't bother with the crude attempts used to sell copy.

That's a widely said mantra by certain activists; the pretence that, "...there's nothing to see here, move on" - kind of thing.

After all, if everyone were to believe no change is happening, that no ideological push is really taking place, then it means the ideology has free rein to steamroll its way through society - without criticism.

If I wanted to advance an ideology, I'd probably adopt the same posture.

But the idea that there isn't a very forceful and aggressive attempt to impose an ideology on everyone else (which conveniently, you're not allowed to question lest you be censored or cancelled or forced to quit your job) is for the birds. We can all see it. Many of us have had enough. We've decided to voice our legitimate concerns. That's what we mean by a pushback.

What's happening with Tavistock and now Mermaids is a significant push back. What's happening with sport and new limitations is a significant pushback.

We are seeing a pushback. You can try to pretend, "...there's nothing to see here, move on", but the rest of us can see the pushback taking place. And it's about time, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

What ideology are you talking about here. Is it the ideology that Brendan O'carroll is pushing rampant transphobia via the medium of ms browns boys?

The far-left ideology that justifiably asks us to follow the science re: climate change, but who do not follow the science on other matters.

That kind of cognitive dissonance is emblematic of an ideology that doesn't care about evidence. It cares about the existence and perpetuation of whatever it demands others to believe.

Hence why it's commonly compared to a religion. Evidence is only an occasional convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Sorry what has that got to do with an article on Mrs browns boys?

• Advertisement

But you do believe in an ideology. You are so far gone down your own rabbit holes and biases it's practically impossible to engage with you.. that's why it's only a few that do.. seriously look at your posts. If no one discusses what you want to, as defined by your own narrow terms you either ignore or belittle it (or you try and repaint things as you have here...).

I feel bad for people in such a situation.

...as defined by your own narrow terms you either ignore or belittle it (or you try and repaint things as you have here...).

With respect, that's precisely the approach that you and several others have taken over the course of this thread.

Nobody on this thread has expressed "disgust at trans people". That's absurd. It's sensationalist and does not correspond to reality. Had someone done so, I would have been first in line to condemn it.

Asking questions, raising concerns, and discussing the impact of trans activism on women's rights does not translate into "disgust" for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The idea that the Tavistock was shut down solely as a result of lack of funding is laughable if it wasn't so serious for the health of children.

What we know as facts

*prior to mid 2000's the Tavistock was primarily a clinic which provided "talk therapy" type services with an in depth review of all aspects of the patients life to fully investigate their needs and issues.

*only after this was completed were they considered for pharma interventions or medical which was done by a sister clinic

*lots of patients presented with comorbidities rather than just gender dysphoria

*Patient age dropped very significantly from 2005 on

What appears to have happened is that patients, some very young, were treated on their own affirmation of gender dysphoria without the in depth review which had been previously the case. This change would be in line with post modern influenced gender theory.

Dr Cass's report is really clear than the scientific basis for this change of treatment(in particularly puberty blockers) was not present.

If not why the change from a long established practice to one where pharma and surgical interventions were fast tracked?

Why are posters, seemingly the self proclaiming caring liberal cohort prepared to give a free pass for poor practice where children received substandard care?

There is a lot of similarities between current situation and in bygone days were church interfered in medical/health matters where belief was given precedence over the scientific method, good medicine and open discussion.

Below is a link from the Guardian with an interview from Consultant psychiatrist David Bell; which includes (You'll also find Marcus Evans giving a similar account of what occurred here)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/02/tavistock-trust-whistleblower-david-bell-transgender-children-gids

The story begins in February 2018, with a knock on Bell’s office door. “I was often the person people came to when they had problems,” he says. Having worked as a consultant at the Tavistock for more than 25 years, he was one of its most senior doctors: for 10 years, he was in charge of its scientific programme; in 2018, he was also an elected staff governor of the trust, for the second time. Of the 10 GIDS staff who would talk to him over the course of the next seven months, only the first saw Bell at the Tavistock; the others, who spoke of intimidation, worried about being seen. What did he make of what they told him? “My blood ran cold. Their concerns were similar, but not in a choreographed way. One or two were severely troubled.”

Among these concerns were the fact that children attending GIDS often seemed to be rehearsed and sometimes did not share their parents’ sense of urgency; that senior staff spoke of “straightforward cases” in terms of children who were to be put on puberty blockers (no case of gender dysphoria, notes Bell, can be said to be straightforward); that some were recommended for treatment after just two appointments and seen only infrequently thereafter; some felt that GIDS employed too many inexperienced (and inexpensive) psychologists; that clinicians who’d spoken of homophobia in the unit were told they had “personal issues”. One told Bell that a child as young as eight had been referred to an endocrinologist for treatment. “I could not go on like this… I could not live with myself given the poor treatment the children were obtaining,” said another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is this projection tactic of yours an impulse, or are doing it consciously?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So do you think I've raised any relevant points regarding your posting style or is it only deflection?

Would you want to reflect on anything you've posted? Do you want to change or continue as-is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Shoog

The science recognisewd the reality of transgenderism - were as you as a symbol of the right - do not. Everything that the left leaning supports of trans rights follows from that basic reality. You however are denying that reality just as you deny the reality of climate change.

I think rather than going for the ball, you're going for the man.

Another logical fallacy, I might add.

Show me where I've denied climate change?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Does the report conclude that transgenderism is a fictional condition that should be treated as such. No.

It doesn't say either way.

GIDS purpose was to treat the mental health of the patient, and that is all. AKA psychiatric care, not trans affirming care.

If you read the report you will see a large chunk of referrals don't get prescribed puberty or hormone treatment so equally GIDS are not saying either that those patients are not transgender. A chunk of referrals have ASD and other comorbidities and as well some patients 'get over it', as the report effectively states. Like it or not putting it that way that is the reality.

The most notable thing about the report is the clinicians themselves don't agree on procedures and treatment. Hardly a surprise as neither do politicians or society. This is the cause of the furore. How do you think the new local clinics as proposed will operate. You're not seriously suggesting they will just be smaller carbon copies of the Tavistock GIDS as if nothing has really changed except the geographical location of clinics?

What eskimo is saying about the report is right. You going off on a what motivates him tangent is just your way of distracting from the report and your not the only one at that craic. And anyway your point does't make any sense. If eskimo doesn't believe in transgenderism then you'd think he'd be in full support of mental health care rather then having it withdrawn. Exactly what care they should get is a different question altogether of course.

typo

Post edited by AllForIt on

Not at all, I've said nothing personally against you (despite your claims) and I've asked you several direct questions which you've chosen to ignore (presumably because they don't suit your narrative?).

But if you feel victimised, as always, report away. I'm just trying to have a meaningful conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm going with impulse, based on this.

Still think it's about "winning" and "losing"?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

A pushback - literally!

I don't believe protesters have a right to block roads in this way. Someone is going to get seriously hurt sooner or later.

Everyone can agree that we could all improve the climate, even if there were no climate change discussion.

But what these protestors are doing is absurd. They achieve nothing. They turn the ordinary member of the public against them, achieve nothing with their aims, and potentially cause harm to people (by people not being able to go to hospital for emergency treatment).

It may make them feel better. They probably love the personal attention. I can say with confidence not one of them is linked to the working class. These are middle class / upper middle class idiots who are wasting everyone's time, all to get attention for their narcissistic cause.

Thats very much the narrative; creating "sides", trying to paint it their "side" is winning, only ever listening to a minority of trans voices on the issues because they are on their "side", dishonestly presenting the Cass review as "a win" on their "side", refusing to acknowledge lots of problems on their "side", refusing to admit the bullying coming from JK Rowling is gone off the scale, painting anyone who disagrees as a far left extemist. It's really fascinating propaganda that tries to portray trans peoples right to existence as non existent, with some faux concern for women and children thrown in as extra propaganda measure and dishonestly presenting themselves as rational and non threatening to human rights.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Everyone can agree we could all improve the climate?

Has to be one of the weirdest statements I've read on this site

Terry Pratchet

Nothing more than a veritable mosaic of falsehoods, distortions, misrepresentations, and mendacity.

The very intelligent and well put together posts on this subject, from all corners, shows that our side of the argument has attempted to fortify our position with the best available evidence, reason, reports, and quite a lot of practical understanding about how an ideology impacts the real world. Not the theoretical world of Twitter or how people feel, but the actual real world.

Your posts achieve the precise opposite. No engagement, nothing worth the name. Just empty, meaningless blather. Hopeless attempts to ratchet up the "Thanks" from the same population, all of whom agree with one another on just about absolutely everything. That's convenient.

And by the way, nobody has questioned the right of anyone to exist. If they have, perhaps you could summon the posts where they did?

To portray our side of the argument as somehow genocidal in intent is utterly risible, undeserving of you and wholly unjustified in its intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, it's dreadful when people block the usual free-flowing traffic in London, isn't it? Thoughts and prayers to all who suffered.

There's quite the difference between a planned protest where people organize in advance and with approval, and what these psycho-oil protestors are doing - randomly turning up on a random road or random motorway - stopping everyone, including ambulances and so on, from getting through to where they need to be.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Shoog

You obviously don't know anyone who is trans and therefore have no understanding of how important it is to support them in any way possible. Lack of any real empathy is one of the defining qualities of a right wing ideology so I am not remotely surprised.

You do realize that anyone who is gender critical in any way is cancelled, censored, and destroyed. Their lives are ruined.

Where is the empathy there?

Just look at how JK Rowling is now considered persona non grata. How Graham Linehan, founder of Father Ted, is now considered malignant - never to earn from his talent again. The list goes on and on and on.

Whilst you seek to portray your side of the argument as the side of the meek and the feeble, there are quite a lot of victims out there who have lost their livelihood on the simple basis they do not agree with you and others.

That is scandalous.

You talk of empathy, yet are happy to see people's lives completely destroyed because they have the temerity to disagree with you. These are people who speak for science, who speak on behalf of women who are affected by this ideology, and who speak on behalf of what they believe to be right.

It's hypocrisy of the highest order.

Your side isn't on the side of empathy.

Far from it, it has literally destroyed people's lives - and it continues to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

And importantly nobempathy for the children of this State and the UK getting suboptimal care.

Such empathy would mean criticism of the postmodernism Trans ideology, so lets not comment or question why Tavistock happened.

History repeating itself just a different holy book

Every time I mentioned sub-optimal care, and how healthcare professionals at these clinics felt that children were not receiving the appropriate care, the pro-trans lobby threw verbal grenades at me. The problem wasn't the clinic; the problem was me.

In other words, the person raising the alarm.

Not a care for the children, no, that is considered secondary - so let's attack the person raising the concern.

Their priorities are clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement