Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplaces with colds/flu/covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

But sure that's about all it is now. A lot of the people in hospital were in there for something else anyway and just got a positive result.

Maybe the nurses, doctors, cleaners and caterers should start working from home to stop it spreading.

Yes, people who are sick should stay at home.

Covid may be "just a cold" to you, waterwelly, but for the many the risk of serious illness from Covid has not just disappeared just because you'd like to think it has.

During the pandemic anyone who was at high risk (as I am) was told ad nauseum to assess risk and "take personal responsibility" and/or "stay at home if you're vulnerable, and let the rest of us get on with it..." so that's what I do. I don't know why this appears to bother you.

When I'm in put in a situation where I believe I am at increased risk, I take myself out of the situation. How do I know if the person coughing and spluttering a few feet from my desk has "just a cold", or if they have covid? I'm not taking that risk.

If my manager has a problem with that, they can ask the sick person (you know, the actual person who shouldn't be at work in the first place) to go home and stay there until they are better. Then I'll be happy to stay at work.

Until then, if they and/or my colleagues are not being mindful of their duty of care towards me, by coming into work sick, then I will be mindful of my duty of care towards myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,036 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

People whose doctor tells them to stay at home should stay at home.

Doctor's aren't going to say "stay at home" for the slightest snuffle. Or for hay-fever. Etc

If someone is vulnerable to Covid, they are also vulnerable to influenza, novovirus, RSV, and goodness only knows what else. The rest of the world isn't going to stop just for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Were you as paranoid about the risk from a cold or influenza before the CoronaVirus ?

Or is it just since then ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Whether you like it or not, the official advice is still to stay at home if you have symptoms of flu like illness. No doctor is going to tell someone who has symptoms of covid, to go to work.

For those who need their memories refreshed (or their employer's memories): Staying Safe At Work.

It's amazing how many people turn nasty and are really bothered when reminded that its actually sick people who do not belong in the workplace, not vulnerable people. That applies to all illnesses.

• Advertisement

You didnt answer though?

Its a genuine question....

Life goes on now, people/businesses cannot afford to stay at home/close if they have a winter cold/sniffles just because someone else thinks its covid..

Who wants to be locked down again because the over cautious people think we all should be.

If YOU are at risk, YOU take the precautions.

If YOU are diabetic, YOU bring YOUR epi-pen.....

If YOU have asthma , YOU bring your inhaler ...

If YOU have a nut allergy , YOU ask/check before ordering .......

It was quite simple , before nanny state-ism took over, and now we have state bodies putting colours on storms, and telling you to turn on your wipers when it rains .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

The official advice still won't pay a person's rent. I'm sorry that you are medically vulnerable, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But it still doesn't take priority over your co-workers' needs. I don't know how to square the circle, I'm definitely not saying you should be forced out of work, but neither should your co-workers.

People coming to work sick has always been a major bugbear of mine, long before covid. I used to put up with it, but now, I will no longer do that. Covid changed everything.

But before you go off on some wild tangent, there is something we need to clear up here.

NOWHERE have I suggested there should be another lockdown.

Do I think sick people should stay at home? YES.

I felt the same before covid, and I feel even more strongly about it now.

You say "If YOU are at risk, YOU take the precautions" - which is exactly what I am doing, by leaving my office and I will do again, if needs be. Read my first post on the thread.

So, explain, what is your problem, when I AM the one taking precautions to protect myself?

Or are you seriously suggesting that I should just ignore the fact that I AM high risk, that I AM diabetic, that I AM asthmatic, and sit there and let someone cough and splutter all over me?

Because I'm telling you here and now, that is not going to happen.

That link is too funny.

Imagine if a barman starts coughing while working in a packed pub, and implementing this nonsense when the customers probably have covid in the room anyway.

What if an Irish rugby player starts coughing in the middle of a 6 nations game. Stop the game while we sanitise the pitch?

Or a flight from Ireland to LA would have to turn back mid atlantic if a pilot sneezed.

If a bus driver sneezes will we have half the bus boxed off so he can isolate in there?

Its hard to believe people are still lapping up this guff.

If an employee has symptoms of COVID-19

If an employee has symptoms of COVID-19 during work hours, your employer must have a designated isolation area for employees and should follow a specific procedure:

• The case manager or designated contact person must direct the person to a designated isolation area, along a designated route (make provisions for one or more persons displaying symptoms such as an additional isolation area or have contingency plans in place)
    • Provide a well-fitted medical grade or respirator face mask for the person presenting with symptoms. The worker should wear the mask if in a common area with other people or while exiting the premises
    • Arrange for the employee to stay in isolation before arranging for them to be transported home, or to a medical facility, public transport should not be used.
    • Arrange for appropriate cleaning of the isolation area and work areas
    • Carry out a full risk assessment of the incident to see what, if any, further action needs to be taken

Yes, self care should be the individuals responsibilty if they feel at risk.

You wanted people that had a cold to stay at home?

You wanted bosses to tell workers to stay home if they have a cold ???

Now, that is unreasonable ................. and unworkable

• Advertisement

Doesnt make it untrue though .......

"If an employee has symptoms of COVID-19 during work hours, your employer must have a designated isolation area for employees and should follow a specific procedure:

• The case manager or designated contact person must direct the person to a designated isolation area, along a designated route (make provisions for one or more persons displaying symptoms such as an additional isolation area or have contingency plans in place)"

Designated .......

Jesus lads its embaressing that so many people were terrorised by this clap trap ....

And will fall for it again .....

Note, yet again, that I said that if / when my co-workers come to work symptomatic, I leave the office and work from home.

Yet this seems to annoy some even more.

I think they expect that I should stay and let myself get infected with all my co-workers' various illnesses.

And if you have the kind of job where that is possible then that works out pretty well and seems a good solution to the problem. I think some people are maybe pointing out that most jobs don't have that option so we don't have the choice. We have to go to work to pay our way, sick or not.

Not all all, just putting these rubbish rules into real life situations.

Is there an isolation area on all aircraft in Ireland in case a pilot gets symptoms mid flight?

Would you still go to work if you tested positive for Covid?

Would I be correct in assuming that if you woke up with symptoms tomorrow, you wouldn't bother testing to find out whether it was "just a cold" or covid you had, and you'd just head into work?

I think it's up to me to decide what is an acceptable level of risk for me, thank you.

The "going to work while sick" debate isn't a new one, it has been going on for years. Covid just brought it into sharp focus.

Now that we are returned to offices, I expect my employer to follow the advice of the medical professionals. Nothing more, nothing less.

And if they don't, then I will take steps to minimise risk to myself. That's all there is to it.

Autumn/Winter and Donnelly is back on the radio talking about 'covid' numbers increasing ......

Hadnt heard a word about all through the summer....

Hmmmm....

Any coincidence that numbers go up in the time of change between summer/autumn/winter .......

Like, the same as the winter cold - influenza used to .....

• Advertisement

• Elopement for diabetes? Bring that for your nut allergy.

I would, but should probably point out that's normal over here in the UK where I live.

Well then, you can see why people who are at higher risk of serious illness need to take steps to protect themselves.

You asked earlier, would I be concerned about how sick co-workers will pay their rent if they have to stay of work while ill.

On the other side of that coin, if you went to work while ill and infected a co-worker, who has to take time off, would you be concerned about how they will cover their rent?

Have they a dedicated covid isolation room?

Is everybody familiar with the dedicated safe route to the isolation room?

Do ye do drills to make sure everybody knows what to do if somebody starts coughing?

It's pretty normal here too, except for a few who can't let it go, trying to play the "I'm immunocompromised" card etc.

Actually what seems quite common here is not to take a test in the first place so you don't put yourself in the position of having to make a decision about going to work or not.

People are getting it, slowly, Donald Trump was way ahead of his time on that one.

Seriously what is your problem?

Why does someone protecting their own health bother you so much?

I'm only asking a question. You posted a link, I highlighted a passage from your link.

Does your employer have a specific covid isolation room and a safe route for you to get there if you sneeze?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,036 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If YOU are diabetic and asthmatic then YOU are the one who is sick, so by your own logic YOU need to stay home.

If you can convince your employer that you are working while there, then, great. (I'm guessing your colleagues will be pretty happy to see you WFH, too.)

Yes, they do have an isolation room. And the link I posted is not "my" link, it is a link from an official source.

So, are you going to continue with the whataboutery and the stupid questions?

• Advertisement

Having a well-managed medical condition does not mean someone is sick. I am perfectly fit for work, thank you.

I am also very confident that I am far more fit, focused and productive either in the office or at home, then someone who is nursing themselves through the workday while coughing and spluttering all over the place.

Advertisement