Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well, no, I'd say you're missing the most important factor here - MU spent their own money they earned through good business practices. They built their club off the pitch to help fund success on the pitch. Liverpool didn't have this acumen and didn't see where football was going, and fell behind because they completely failed to take advantage of their global brand recognition. FSG came in and started us realising that potential 20 years later than we should have.

I want us to be the best version of our club it can be off its own back. I'm just personally not that into the idea of someone else throwing their money at it. That's my own opinion. Obviously it's a subjective one. And it may lead to us being less successful than state owned clubs as a result, but to be honest I'm ok with that. I'm interested in the journey of the team I follow, including their downs as well as their ups. That's what makes me watch Liverpool matches in a different way than all the other random matches I watch. If the success becomes divorced from the club actually earning it through doing things well on and off the pitch, it just becomes a thing I'm less personally interested in.

"archaic notions such as living within our means"

How exactly do you think clubs who don't live within their means fare if they don't have owners that are sports washing states? Banks just forgive their debt when they can't make repayments?

You aren't stuck in an Anglo Irish Bank type time warp by any chance are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We’d probably end up with the f**king Iron Sheik if our recruitment is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You got a few this time, good for you.

Dont kid yourself, at its peak in the 80’s Liverpool were buying the best players and with it success, don’t forget Barnes, Aldridge, Beardsley, Houghton joining over a short period to bolster the team. in fact their success dropped away when they stopped buying quality players and stuck with their aging squad in Dalglish’s last year.

Who said anything about FSG putting all of their considerable wealth into the club? that is a touch of hyperbole used there by you to try and drive home your point. They have adopted a business model that you and the know-alls think is the best for the club, in fact it seems for some it’s the reason why they like the club. And while financially that model may benefit the club’s balance sheet (though that will be disputable if CL qualification is missed), the success of a football club like Liverpool is about more than quarterly and yearly financial statements, it is about performance of the team. That is the most visible, and for most fans, most important part of Liverpool football club.

Supporters, or fans, (I forget which one I’m supposed to be), don’t think FSG should spend a billion this year on the team, though do think that like most business owners, they recognise the implications of lack of investment, deterioration of the product. While having a new stand is important, you ask most fans and they will tell you it should not come at the cost of investment in the team. Surely you understand that poor performance also has implications on income?

Does it frustrate me when I watch a great team toil? Yes, but I suppose that’s part of being a supporter/fan of a team, they bring joy when doing well, sadness or frustration when they don’t. Do I consider it only in financial terms? Of course not, I’m not a shareholder. And I personally don’t like the club more because they don’t spend to buy success, we aren’t some plucky underdog, Liverpool are a massive club worth billions, so while I do concede that we can’t spend like a State-Club, we can spend. Right now if the team is to be revitalised, FSG have to sanction purchases.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Matip out for min 2 weeks with calf problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

2 weeks for Trent as well. Source is James Pearce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

The team can 100% turn it around. They have done so before in worse cases.

But to be asking them to do so again, and again and again is incredibly irresponsible from the coaching/recruiting staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Overall I think FSG have done a good job but I don't think it's unreasonable to question their level of investment. They bought the club for 300m and it's now worth over 2bn. Saying the club needs to be self sufficient is well and good but there has to be injections every now and again, especially in recognition of the increase in capital value of the club.

It's like if I bought a house for 300k and now it's worth 2m. The roof is caving in but I won't spend the 100k to fix it as the property needs to be "self-sufficient" and the rental income is only 3k per month. In that case any reasonable person would recognise that you should fix the roof. Our midfield is the roof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Matip & Trent out for two weeks

Lads who train MMA don't get as injured as much as our lot ,

Sound ,

One great season form Matip & he's back to being made out of weetabix,

Do we add him to the list of pointless players again

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Choice of Milner and Gomez at right back for Man City almost exactly one year on from us having to make the same choice. Got destroyed down that right side last year if I remember correctly (Become a regular occurrence now!)

Not getting a ready substitute for Trent and buying a youngster with potential is yet another mistake in this summer's transfer window.

Can we play Gomez & Phillips at RB together if they promise to hold hands for the entire gamer

• Advertisement

You assume FSG are saying no when Klopp asks for a budget of £X to finance player transfers. Do you seriously think Klopp would hang around if he wasn't happy with the transfer budget available to him?

Also, at the peak when Barnes, Aldridge, Beardsley and Houghton joined (1987) they cost a combined total of £4.4m at the time (adjusted for inflation that's equivalent to £11.4m in 2022), and with the exception of Beardsley were unproven at the top level (Barnes from Watford, Houghton and Aldo from Oxford) and they weren't paid for out of a wealthy benefactors pocket, the club financed those transfers out of operating cashflow.

Those who think spending more than the club can afford from cashflow or by borrowing responsibly and making repayments over time (either formally from banks etc or by building staged payments into player transfers) are deluded, there is no magic money tree unless you are owned by an oil state or a gazillionaire who can afford to spunk hundreds of millions on a pet project.

You said we didn’t buy success, we did, we bought the best players at the time and made one of Liverpools best ever teams. The fact that they appear relatively cheap is immaterial, your contention is that we did not buy success. Beardsley moved for a British record at the time when virtually all transfers were domestic, Barnes had been an English international for 4 years, and 3 yrs earlier he had walked through the Brazilian defence in the Maracana, so hardly an unproven entity. I would accept the same now, we don’t have to buy the most expensive or compete on a financial footing with City, but we do need to buy quality players.

You possibly are the only one who thinks any of us are advocating going on a MC-type spending spree, or that we think FSG should risk bankrupting themselves or the club, just how many players and for how much do you think we are talking about? A billion, two? We are talking about bringing in much needed quality, not a bunch of 100+ million players.

And your fascination with the word “spunk” is getting a little weird.

But who decides the roof needs a major overhaul? To carry on with your analogy FSG are commercial landlords who aren't operating the building day to day. To do that they hired one of the best property managers in the world and they are paying him to manage the property for them. Its his job to identify roof problems long before its even close to caving in and effect repairs or alterations in a smooth and pro-active manner so you never even get to the point where there's a need for sudden and major intervention.

FSG are a convenient target as they are the money guys but when you look at it with a clear head if they aren't (rightly) involved or qualified to have input into team selection on matchday why on earth do people think they should be responsible for the decline in our midfield and the lack of a joined up succession plan to replace Wijnaldum, Milner, Hendo and soon Thiago?

Of course we bought success, every single club that buys players and is successful buys success, that's a juvenile and pointless argument.

My contention is we bought success (like all other clubs back in the day) within our operating cashflow which at the time was probably the largest in the league as we were the biggest club in the league with the highest income etc. Is that clear enough for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Well the blame all comes down to whether FSG are withholding funds or whether Klopp just doesn't want to spend them. I don't think anyone outside the club knows the answer to that one but I'd be very surprised if it was down to Klopp. What he says in can't be trusted as he's not going to openly criticise his employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Manchester ref for Sundays game along with the same VAR ref from the Arsenal game. Premier League just trolling Liverpool now

We did buy success?

So you were wrong when you posted:

“One of the things which makes Liverpool a club worth following is its heritage and that it hasn't bought its way to success.”

How do you know those 4 players were bought with cash flow rather than borrowed money?

Nice to see a post without your favourite word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

3 injured players from 1 game is good going in fairness.

I mean, the conversation over the past day has been very clearly about the club spending within its means, versus the club spending money gifted by owerns... feels like semantics to be trying to pull that one up. It's already been specifically clarified as to what they meant with that wording (literally in the post you just quoted), so what's the point in bringing up the already-clarified wording again? Feels a bit petty/pointless...

As for the four players, I think that's one where you'd need to show/prove they weren't bought with the clubs own money tbh, as the normal course of business is that they would have been, and I've never seen anything to suggest otherwise. About the only event I can think of to the contrary was David Moores sanctioning a short term bridging loan to enable the club to buy Dirk Kuyt, as the club didn't have enough liquid cash right then to get it through - which was big news at the time.

The excitement after the Community shield win disappeared very very quickly ,

No team would cope with the injuries we have had already this season

Annoying that Trent & Diaz injuries where both caused by Arsenal players & neither was even a free kick ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Right FSG time to put the money in.

Mbappe wants to leave PSG in January

Swap for Salah.

C’mon, the fees may look paltry by todays standards, but it doesn’t change the fact that Liverpool have in the past bought their way to success. Now you want to qualify it with spent beyond their means, FSG/Liverpool are not a small owner/club, and have considerable means. No one expects us to match City, but we do expect the owners/club to identify a need, and to address it if they want to be successful.

There have been articles which indicate that the financial accounts of clubs like Liverpool are so complex that they are very difficult to understand. Owners to their best to obscure earnings and avoid tax. So when “experts” come on here and tell us that by wanting much needed players, supporters would want the owners to risk bankrupting the club, you know they are complete spoofers who think they have some heightened insight into club finances.

And you don’t know whether Moores took out a loan, used club money, or tapped Littlewoods for those players.

Fair play Pedantic Pat, you're not going to let something as obvious as context spoil your juvenile narrative. Buying success in the context of the PL is accepted (other than by a rare few) as meaning spending more than you generate through the indulgence of your oil state or gazzillionare owners.

Whether those 1987 players were bought with cash already on hand or the club borrowed and then repaid that loan out of future cashflow to pay for them is immaterial, what matters is they did it within their operating capacity and didn't require an injection of cash from a benefactor.

• Advertisement

#Mbappé2023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Thanks for the Mbappe rumours, I needed some light entertainment in this thread and that raised a little chuckle 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The real big question is can he play in midfield?

Sign him for £150m in January then sell him to Madrid in the summer for their midfield of Camavinga, Tchouameni & Valverde 😂

So Ramsey is not training again ,was back for what 3 days or something ,

Wards first transfer widow been some farce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

It's gas.

I've often heard opposition supporters helpfully explain that pretty much all other football people in the UK hate Liverpool - it's not just Utd, Everton fans etc who hate us, but all of them, everyone, fans and players alike, young or old. We're despised.

Yet, this hate for LFC seemingly doesn't extend to referees - if we question the impartiality of referees from Manchester handling Liverpool games, especially games involving Liverpool and an actual club from Manchester - we're being unreasonable/making excuses/tinfoil hatters. Quite an anomaly, that - everyone hates us except Manchester referee's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Why has Ward's transfer first transfer window been a farce?

Let me see maybe because we are actually worse off than before it ,

Arthur, Ramsey have added the grand total of nothing at all ,Carvalho is a kid ,

Nunez has of yet been a big disappointment

38 goals from last season where let go in Mane,Taki ,Dickov

How could you spin it in another way ?

Ox is back in full training.

• Advertisement

Genuinely forgot Ox still played football for us.

And in general.

I think complaining about the incomings is pretty pointless - the actual complaint is the lack of another midfielder as well.

Like, Carvalho and Ramsey were bought as teenagers for the long term for a combined fee of about 10m, there's absolutely nothing wrong with their additions, and both will likely be good investments. Nunez is already showing improvement, so not terribly worried there. The work done was fine - it's just the work not done that is the problem.

Stop the mental gymnastics

The summer window was a shocker there's no way around it,,

They did go get another midfielder who wasn't good enough or fit enough ,

If your happy with it then fair play but lets not hear you give out about the squad so

Reports out of Turkey that the club are looking at Galatasaray right back Sacha Boey who has a €15m price tag.

The more i read that the funnier it becomes,

We needed a midfielder because ye know ours can't stay fit so we got Arthur,

We need someone to challenge Trent NOW so we got Ramsey ,

We needed to replace 38 goals in Mane,Origi,Taki we got Nunez & Carvalho .,

How can anyone can think that's a good window is beyond me ,

We all love the club but why pretend things are good the window was shambles ,

Its ok to say that ,

What mental gymnastics? I think there were failings - but I think those failings are the lads we didn't buy rather than the ones we did.

I've no problem with Carvalho and Ramsey being bought, by all accounts both excellent prospects with huge ceilings. There should be next to no expectation on them to contribute much at this stage obviously. And I know you've always had an issue with Nunez, but even you seemed to recognise that he's been looking better as he gets up to the levels of fitness required. The lack of additional signings is what's hurt us, not the ones we made... like, I wouldn't be going back in time and nixing any of those deals the way I would've wanted to for many of our past failed transfers.

• Advertisement

Ok so you say Carvalho & Ramsey are brought for the future ok so lets forget them ,

We sold 38 goals is Nunez * an adequate replacement for the 38 goals ....NO

We needed a midfielder we got Arthur was that adequate .......NO

We needed back up for Trent did we get it ..............NO

Wow i hope we have more windows like this in the future

Have the summer signings helped us ............NO

You say " The lack of additional singing is what hurt us ,not the ones we made " the signing's he made have NOT helped so maybe considering his JOB he should make ones that would help .

I don't think you'll find one single fan is saying " ohh god i hope we have another window like the summer "

*Nunez has had two good opening 45minutes in the last two games i hope he continues

From what I can see, you largely agree with me... Jury's out on Nunez, the young lads were decent buys for the future, but we simply needed more buys for midfield... (contrary to what you seem to be presenting, I never said it was a good window - I said the signings were fine, the problem was there weren't enough of them).

I'm not so sure about the argument on the goals though... I'm quite happy with forward options of Salah, Jota, Diaz, Firmino, and Nunez. We can't really have more forward players than that. I mean, two of the lads that left wanted out because we they were only ever starting secondary cup matches. We've scored in all but 1 game so far - our problem is just that we're conceding too many, so we end up scoring 2+ goals in a game and still drawing or losing. Like, we scored 2 against Fulham, 2 against Arsenal, and 3 against Brighton, and ended up with only 2 points for those 7 goals.

So I'd be looking much more at midfield weakness than at the forward line. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) having Gomez at RB while Trent is out... should lock down that weakness a bit in the short term too.

I said the window was a farce i stand bye that statement,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The two young lads may turn out to be brilliant buys in the future, but, realistically there should be absolutely no expectation of them making any meaningful contribution this season, neither has really played at this level so unproven, but, with potential that may or may not be fulfilled, at the very least we'll lose nothing on them, but, when they were signed some on here were blowing them up to be world beaters, Ramsey was going to be competition for Trent and Carvalho would be challenging for a forward position, even the club seemed to spin it that way. Realistically my expectations for those two lads this season was to settle into the club, make a few cup appearances and the odd cameo appearance in the league or dead rubber CL games, anyone who expected anything more from those two this season was deluded.

Nunez signing may or may not work out, too early yet to know. Not signing a midfielder was negligent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nunez has 2 goals one assist in 267 minutes.

Haaland is at 50 minutes per goal, Firmino is at 78 minutes per goal,

No one else comes close to these minutes per goal

• Advertisement
Advertisement