Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meta Quest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I removed mine, but have full access to everything bar multiplayer (which I don't generally bother with as I've no time)

But this is great news. I wonder how it affects the Quest 1 and Oculus Go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Maybe it's old news but I found out today you can now do a 1 time install of sidequest on your headset and after that you don't need a PC or phone to access the sidequest catalogue. It will be available at all times within the headset.

Just use sidequest as normal to sideload the app called "Sidequest VR" and that's it. Sidequest available at all times in the unknown sources section of the headset. Really handy. Tested it out to download and install Quake 2. Works really well.

Here is the app page to sideload from:

Edit: custom home themes are included in this also. Excellent.

Nice. For custom homes that simply stun check out Star Wars Rancor and Classic Smoking Room.

Classic Smoking Room is my current selection. It's uncannily realistic and quite a relaxing environment to be in.

Video of it can be seen here: https://sidequestvr.com/app/3995/custom-home-classic-smoking-room

I like the Rancor pit theme. Lots of good themes for kids too. My son really likes the Minecraft theme.

Found this on SideQuest VR. Its a tough variant of super hot. There are weapons you can teleport to and limited ammo. Its tough but good. You need to think about the order to kill people so you don't get stuck or run out of ammo. 30 levels included in this demo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

BOBOVR M2 Plus Head Strap Twin Battery Combo Compatible with Quest 2,VR Power Bank Charger Station/Dock with B2 Battey Pack,Recirculating Power Supply System https://amzn.eu/7a1sCxu

just ordered this as my original m2 strap had developed little cracks on the black part of the strap. It's actually good value considering you get 2 batteries that are about that price alone, the charging dock and the new m2 plus strap which improves upon comfort, the back part tilts and has an extra honeycomb attachment so it doesn't slip on the back of your head. The black part of the strap is thicker and more durable also. It doesnt move around your head in more physical games also and the two arched pads on the top don't dig in like on the .2 They deliver here too so be quick before it changes!

They have now put up their m1 plus strap (elite style battery strap) which comes with 1 battery. Edit this one doesn't have the charging dock, just the "dock" for the headstrap meaning it has the part that the battery fits into.

Ships here and is currently 68 euro with 5% off.

BOBOVR M1 Plus Head Strap with Battery Pack 5200mAh Compatible with Oculus Quest2 Elite Strap For Enhanced Support and Comfort Accessories,Hot-swappable Battery Pack Design https://amzn.eu/hqnMW82

Comparison of both by the lovely Disco-VR here:

Post edited by Doge on

Updated my post above, the m1 plus doesn't come with charging dock, by battery dock they mean the bit that battery sticks onto magnetically.

Premium Bowling had me hooked last night. Feels just that little bit better than ForeVR Bowl (which is still cool too... just more arcadey).

The ball roll is really well determined by how you spin it or the angle of throw and it's as close to realism as you'll get. Highly recommend.

Was actually a bit of a sweaty workout given the hot evening.

Ended the evening with a bit of Blair Witch.. surprisingly good.. actually had a dream about it last night (guess late night VR sessions will leave some sort of imprint!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Odd move from Meta. They are increasing the price of the Quest2 by $100. Weird one from Meta that they would increase the price so long after the initial release.

33% increase for 128gb model. 5 days notice on the increase. 😳 Deary me.

Edit: Free copy of beat saber included.

• Advertisement

Could be a smart move to ship a load of headsets in next 5 days!

They did say they were making it a loss from the beginning and Mark also said that profits are down for Meta. He's increasing employees targets.

République VR is now free.

Developed over five years by industry veterans (Metal Gear Solid, Halo, F.E.A.R.), RÉPUBLIQUE is a thrilling and topical stealth-action game that explores the perils of government surveillance in the Internet Age.

You receive a call from Hope, a woman trapped inside a mysterious totalitarian state. By hacking into the nation's elaborate surveillance network and taking control, you guide Hope through a web of danger and deception across five thrilling episodes.

• Immersive puzzles and strategic choices

• Innovative, interactive developer commentary

• Incredible voiceover performances, starring:

o Rena Strober

o David Hayter (Metal Gear Solid)

o Jennifer Hale (Mass Effect, BioShock Infinite)

o Dwight Schultz (killer7, Star Trek)

o Khary Payton (Metal Gear Solid 4)

Just a heads up you need to add the rift version first then the quest version for free or at least that's how I had to get it.

Did a search for this but no results. It's been out a few years. We got it last night.

1 person as the tree using the headset and everyone else on a mobile device trying to rob acorns from the tree.

It's good craic if you have a mix of 4+ adults and kids to play. Up to 8 players / bots.

Post edited by jj880 on

Good free shape puzzler if you haven't got puzzling places yet (like me).

Zuckerberg's metaverse avatar didn't go down so well. 😂

Haven't got the meta account email myself yet but fyi it seems users are being locked out of their headsets switching over from FB to meta at the moment. According to the Reddit link above the apple/Google app is needing an update. Think I'll leave it a while before switching.

lol.. I guess I'll disable wifi when I switch on my headset next time 😂

• Advertisement

Just got the email. This is the tutorial video they include. Im thinking it's good if you lose access to your Facebook account now you won't lose access to your games etc. on the headset.

Ok according to Reddit if you wait for the notification from your headset this will ensure you have a smooth switch over to meta. If you try before this through the email you will have a bad time. So I'll wait until I get the notification.

What happens if you login to a multiplayer game with the Meta account and start shouting far-right conspiracies?

The way things are now you'd probably have a few 1000 followers inside an hour. (friends get changed to meta horizon followers with a meta account apparently).

Zuck has updated his avatar. Much better 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I got a mail from Smyths saying they're doing the Quest now. Or rather from September according to their site.

Prices are €50 more than the Quest online store.

Oh and for anyone waiting on the meta account mail, check your spam. Just found mine there earlier. It was sent a couple days ago.

Post edited by CastorTroy on

• Advertisement

they seem to be selling accessories too which might be handy if you want to pick them up in store

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/search/?text=quest

Smyths accept the FromMe2You vouchers so could be something to spend the €500 annual gift voucher on (unless you get One4All of course which they don't accept)

Myst is 40% off for a week. Down from 30 euro to 18 euro. Will get it before the sale ends as just got Red Matter 2 yesterday. I really like escape room games. Also there is a myst themed walkabout mini golf course coming out soon so would be good to play the game first as I don't know anything about it.

Presume most people have seen this by now.

Uses the same XR2 chip that's in the quest 2. Best to wait til quest 3 releases next year me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I was gutted seeing that, ah well the wait for VR goes on for another year, might work out better if it coincides with building my next gaming rig in a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Anyone know if I can continue using my Facebook account and not have to set up a new Meta one?

Looked it up online but its all a bit confusing.

Ideally I dont want the new account and hope to continue using my facebook but got a notification from Oculus app saying I need to create a Meta account to use VR .

• Advertisement

I think you need to create a new Meta account, but can then link your FB account back to it

Yeah after you create your Meta account you can go to Settings >> Meta Accounts Centre in the Meta Quest mobile app. Here you can add any accounts you want to get the associated functionality. E.g. Facebook / Instagram.

Thanks.

Completed the setup so now using the meta account.

My facebook account is not used for anything else so was hoping I could just ignore the meta account, but as you pointed out thats not possible.

I see there is an app referral program open in the US. They can share a referral link for an app they already own. If someone buys with the referral link the buyer gets 25% off and referrer gets 5 dollars credit.

I didnt know it wasn't available here until I tried to use a US bonelab referral link. Went ahead and bought bonelab anyway. Guy from the US who provided me with the link just got back to me later today and said I can get the discount in future using a VPN. So next game I buy I will try it. If anyone else gets a discount this way please post here if successful. FYI you can get loads of the individual 25% discount links on reddit:

Hopefully this new referral program opens here soon.

Post edited by jj880 on

It gives you an option in the next step to keep Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Is it worth it paying the extra for the bigger memory, the 256gb over the 128

Depends. There are not many games that are really big in size from the official Meta Store. As far as I remember the biggest is Medal Of Honour and it is 40gb. But after that it goes down to around 10gb for Contractors and Resident Evil 4. Latest big release is Bonelab (7gb) Most being a lot less than 10gb. Of course you could buy DLC addons that would increase this but not by much. There are other games on Sidequest and the Applab to consider but they also tend to be small in size. Id say I have about 30 titles purchased from the main store and lots of extra demos / applab / sidequest stuff. Still about 20gb left. Even if I hit full storage I will just delete games I have completed so in my opinion not worth the extra money but who knows - games could get larger in the next few years. If you plan to connect to a PC then you will be using your PC storage for your game files then also.

Dont forget to get a referral link in our referral thread for 30 euro credit: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058223408/oculus-quest-2-referrals-thread-free-30-store-credit#latest

Thanks but dont need it now I have switched over to a meta account. My FB account is not used for anything other than this.

I'd say yes if you can afford it... about 15-20GB is taken up by System Storage.. leaving you with just over 100GB on the 128GB.

If you install a single game Medal of Honor at 43GB that leaves you with 65GB which you could prob install several smaller games, or another couple of larger games.

But with the 256GB you'll probably never run out ... again it's up to you how many games you want to have on you at one time, you can always uninstall old games on the 128GB to free up space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

At the moment there's only €35 in the difference between the two on the oculus shop.

• Advertisement

In that case most definitely worth it. Was 100 euro difference when I was buying 👍

Quest 2 back to pre hike prices on meta . com

128gb 360 euro

256gb 440 euro

Also includes a free copy of beat saber.

Any of ye playing some scary games in the run up to Halloween? I'm currently making my way through Blair Witch on the Quest ... Had a jump scare last night when this ghost soldier suddenly poppped up in my face... argh. Glad to have Bullet by my side though!

Cosmodread will prob be the next one after

Nah but Cosmodread looks like my kinda game. Was hooked on The Persistence on PSVR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Only €1800. 😮

Also Iron Man VR and Xbox Cloud Gaming coming.

CNET have a 10 minute highlight video of Meta Connect:

Upgraded specs in a lighter and more compact headset with VR offices and Microsoft Teams integrated. After that demos for ideas for the future. Cant help thinking its a big stretch to think offices will start using Quest Pro now/soon but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That’s a huge jump in price on the Q2.

You can use the new controllers with Quest 2..

Can be bought separately for bout 300?

350 euro

Includes charge dock.

They look slick for sure. Then again you could get another Quest 2 instead 😆.

• Advertisement

The specs are nice and if you have the cash why not. Backward compatible with Quest 2 games.

Im a home user / gamer on a budget so will wait. If I broke the piggy bank for this now and a Quest 3 comes out in the next year or 2 with similar specs for less than half the price I would feel properly robbed. Quest 2 will do for me for now.

Advertisement