Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Anyone know when the Irish RWC warm up matches will be announced?

England and Wales both released their schedules today (neither playing Ireland even though England have one match with no confirmed opponent)

Maybe there has been rumours or speculation at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Most likely in next few weeks. We're to play 4 games afaik. We wont be playing Scotland and will just be playing 6 nations squads instead using bit of imagination and playing a side similar to Tonga/Romania...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Emerging Team named https://www.irishrugby.ie/2022/10/04/emerging-ireland-ready-for-currie-cup-champions/

15. Chay Mullins (Connacht/IQ Rugby)

14. Ethan McIlroy (Ulster/Ballynahinch)

13. Antoine Frisch (Munster)

12. Cathal Forde (Connacht/Corinthians)

11. Andrew Smith (Leinster/Clontarf)

10. Jake Flannery (Ulster/Ballynahinch)

9. Michael McDonald (Ulster)

1. Callum Reid (Ulster/Banbridge)

2. Diarmuid Barron (Munster/Garryowen)

3. Roman Salonoa (Munster/Shannon)

4. Cormac Izuchukwu (Ulster/Ballynahinch)

5. Brian Deeny (Leinster/Clontarf)

6. Cian Prendergast (Connacht)(captain)

7. John Hodnett (Munster/UCC)

8. James Culhane (Leinster/UCD)

Replacements:

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Connacht/Corinthians)

17. Josh Wycherley (Munster/Young Munster)

18. Sam Illo (Connacht/Buccaneers)

19. Tom Ahern (Munster/Shannon)

20. David McCann (Ulster/Banbridge)

21. Ben Murphy (Leinster/Clontarf)

22. Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution)

23. Shane Daly (Munster/Cork Constitution)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

A comment really befitting of this forum. Congrats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

firstly, it was a tongue in cheek statement, so relax

secondly, its also probably an apt one. if more than half of that squad ever become regulars for their provinces (let alone ireland) id be very surprised. barring injury or some strange act of god, none of them are going to rwc 2023. jack crowley probably has the best chance out of that 23 and hes probably 3rd choice for his province

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm slightly concerned that we're getting closer to the Autumn Internationals and we've yet to see Furlong, Lowe or Keenan play this season. They'll need a few matches to get themselves ready for South Africa. Time is running out. They're all key players and I wouldn't want to face any of our opposition without them.

There's some depth at wing so Lowe could potentially be replaced well enough. We'd still miss his playmaking ability however. But we've a huge problem if Keenan and Furlong are missing. They're by far the best players in their position. If both are missing there's a sizeable drop off in quality to the next player.

Realistically though, in a normal season the first string internationals would only be returning this weekend?

Furlong hasn't been appearing on injury reports, so they might just be giving him an extended rest and rebuild ahead of a big 12 months for him. Lowe's injury wasn't flagged as overly concerning when it occurred. I take your point on Keenan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Keenan has started 17 of Ireland's last 18 games at full back. No harm in someone else getting a run this November.

And honestly, I don't care if Furlong doesn't play until October next year if it means he's fully fit and at his best for the World Cup. He's to Ireland what Tuilagi is to England. Just do whatever it takes to get him onto the field. He's that important to us. Him and Sexton are the two we can't afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Furlong isn't ready, it's an opportunity for O'Toole. I suppose Furlong would only play 2 matches in the autumn anyway.

There's no sense in rushing injured lads back. Keenan will be needed for the 6nations and Leinsters Euro matches. Same with Lowe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Lowry top of the queue to come in in Keenan’s absence you’d imagine, but could be interesting to see if Carbery goes well at 15 2nite if he might be considered there.

To be fair Furlong played 30 minutes against the Scarlets after over a year out with back and calf issues and went straight back into the 6 nations shortly after and performed. The man is always ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We need cover for both, the Autumn tests are the time to do it so while I can see why you'd be concerned in the short term, long term we need options.

Apart from the Italy game in the 6Ns when was the last time Keenan didn't start at 15 for Ireland?

I mean a lot can change in the blink of an eye in rugby. But Keenan is 26 and will be 27 at the end of this season. We're pretty good in terms of long term health at fullback

He means if Keenan was to get injured. Which is a possibility, and then we're left with Lowry, who has played one test against 13 man Italy, or JOB who is uncapped.

Keenan is a top class player, everyone knows that. I'd argue he's world class. But we need a backup with a certain amount of high level test exposure. And right now, we don't have that. Lowry needs to start against SA or Aus in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Lowe is very replaceable. Keenan ... we haven't explored enough options in his absence. Furlong we need to wrap in cotton wool for the big occasions

Who gets the 22 jersey? After watching tonites poor fare, I would say we're fucked. Carberry is a joke and Carty not much better. Healy has been poor. We are probably looking at Burns and RB!

Carty's goalkicking was poor, but his actual play I thought was very good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The two best out halves behind Sexton are Carty and Burns.

But somehow I think we'll once again have the deadly duo of Murray and Carbery on the bench for November, even though they shouldn't be in the Munster team, let alone the Ireland 23. The Irish reserve halfbacks should be Cooney and one of Carty/Burns. It's not perfect but it's the best we've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

i thought Murray did well for Ireland in NZ, brutal for Munster granted but he did exactly what was needed for Ireland. He is not going to come out and win a game but to manage a top level game we are winning for 15 minutes, he’s solid. Carbery is likely to give up a score or two on the other hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well Oli has been named for the New Zealand XV squad that will be touring and playing Ireland A amoung others.

That will serve to tie him to New Zealand. While props tend to peak later I wasn't expecting him to come good and play internationally for Ireland I did expect him to feature at one of the provinces at some stage.

That probably won't happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

When is the November squad announced? Be interesting to see which emerging Ireland players step up. Would like to see Frawley and Crowley in there

Post edited by Wegians89 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would guess around the 24/25/26 October, I think it's usually announced before the final club fixtures ahead of the series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Frawley must be bulling. Finally a chance to take a crack at the 10 jersey, misses out and Crowley puts his hand right up while Carbery continues to stink the place out and Healy makes little impression. And Carty keeps on Cartying.

The tedious conversation around Ireland's 22 jersey got a little more interesting at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Fit back three options at the moment would probably be:

Left wing: Mack Hansen, Shane Daly

Right wing: Robert Baloucoune, Calvin Nash

Fullback: Jimmy O'Brien, Michael Lowry

Or maybe Baloucoune and Hansen swapped, going by how selection went in NZ and on the EI tour. I wonder whether the likes of Stockdale, Keenan, Lowe and Conway will be back in time for the AIs.

The squad will be minus some lads. The likes of Stockdale will miss out due to injury. Aki is suspended and I think Hume is injured? I hope Osborne gets a call up. At least into the wider squad and I think Doak will.

If JGP is out does Murray come in? I hope not, he's not up for it. I would promote Casey and bring in Marmion or Cooney! Maybe even Doak.

Carberry should be omitted. He's awful! There's no hiding the fact that he can't tackle a packet of Tayto. HB should also be omitted! He's not played and so called potential is not enough to pick a lad. I'd prefer see Burns or even RB back in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think Hume is going to be back. He's on their mini tour to Africa..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Advertisement