Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what does the equivalent 5 series cost (similar performance)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Probably the 550i so €135k base price.

if the i5 was in that kind of price range I think I’d be looking to order a Taycan instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

taycan is going to be min 120k though (for the RWD version) by the time you add any sort of spec, it has gone up in price twice this year and there are a lot of extras that you kinda have to add.

a neighbour has a rwd ordered at the old pricing and it was 117k and i have been in Fitzs lovely 4s also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Yeah, they are 20" wheels. 135kmph doesn't help I know. But as I said, I wasn't surprised by this, I've had a Tesla Model 3 Performance before so had a pretty good idea what you can expect.

The options are a big miss, but the comfort access is definitely the one I miss most. Although the car is more secure with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I haven't a clue to be honest. I have just bought a Cupra Born EV so I'm not really looking at release dates of anything at the moment. I'm delighted with it, I wanted to go EV and while it wouldn't be my usual type of car, it was available at short notice so I took the plunge. Will keep until 2024 anyway.

I don't even know what the i5 will look like, there are early rendered photos available. To be honest the one I really want and am looking forward to is the Audi A6 etron, possibly the avant. Now that's a real looker going by the photos. I'd have it over etron GT once the photos are representative of the production car. I'd be looking at the lower powered model for sure in either the Audi or the BMW, I wouldn't be with the performance model for the price jump.

• Advertisement

I'd also expect the i5 performance version to be around the €110k mark also. The i4 M50 is around €80k, the i7 equivalent is about €140k so I'd expect the i5 equivalent to be somewhere in between. Agree it's pretty mad money at that stage, I think an equivalent Taycan will be €140k plus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The coefficient of drag of the i4 is excellent, on a par with the Tesla. The latter's drive train is more efficient. But in either case, if you hammer an EV, you will very significantly lose range, far more than in an ICE car

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thelastrabbi

just ordered my i4 m50 for delivery in jan 23. frank keane's had 2 cars on order not sold. Colour was frozen grey which is beautiful but way too expensive for paint. I've changed it for dravit grey, 20'' wheels and cognac m sport seats. I'm a proper petrol head replacing my 212 gti clubsport so hopefully I won't regret it. I had a 20 minute test drive and loved it tbh. I went in thinking of a m340d and ended up with this as was looking for power, 4 doors, decent boot for golf clubs and better fuel economy. It was impossible not to love so hopefully it will come on time. Anyone on here already got one and can share experience so far I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

How in god's name do they have two January slots when there are supposedly lists of people in garages can't get an order in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Don't worry about this being a real date or get your hopes up, Frank Keane has about 30-40 i4s with a Jan 2023 date so unless the factory works for Ireland only in Jan, not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Proper petrol head and you went looking at an M340d 🤣

You were lucky with the M50 order as the order books are currently closed.

Did they match you up with an already ordered car? Could you adjust the spec or were you stuck with what was already ordered?

A few people on here already have one and have reviewed already if you search.

4 doors is correct but rear is extremely tight for a 4 door car. Your old golf would have similar space in the back.

The boot is decent though. You’ll fit golf clubs in ok. Be right with a decent battery trolley etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

This sounds insane given the general direction of posts here.

But same as mine, Dravit grey M50, cognac leather interior, all available packs.

Expecting delivery in Q1.

These stats have me questioning my decision to upgrade from e40 to M50.

I do Cork - Dublin twice a month.

It's fine as long as there's plenty availability at Ionity stations but it will become an issue when they get clogged.

Maybe Ionity needs to keep upping the price to ensure that doesn't happen!

Sticking to 120km/h instead of 135km/h in bad weather will give you a lot more range. Wouldn't worry about it too much until you get to know the car a bit better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Knowing your luck so far, he got your order 🤣🤣

*I hope I’m joking 🤞

I’m usually travelling with kids so we will be stopping for 30mins somewhere anyway, it only takes 10mins to add enough to ensure you get there if you were not planning to stop.

For me id look at it as a small rare inconvenience for another wise great car. Dublin to Cork has 4 or 5 places where you can get 150kWh or higher chargers so it’s not much of a concern today at least.

My guy messaged me that they have secured a build slot next year for my m50 order but didn’t say when. I’ll have to hassle him for more specifics.

maybe more slots are starting to become available now which is how Frank Keane have got a couple more?

Ah probably just a bad comparison but based on my Cork-Dublin return I wouldn't be too far off doing it without charging in my eDrive40 (provided I leave at 100%, and I am in North Cork but still)...

I agree re the stops, not a big deal at all to do 15-20 mins in Kill or Cashel.

Not gonna tempt fate.

I must check in with the dealer and see if car is scheduled for production.

It's not a bad position to be in though, one if the few people enjoying my i4 while I wait for my new i4.

Latest from the dealer is a tentative build date towards the end of January and delivery end of Feb.

I'd be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I test drove an M50 yesterday. It is pretty nauseating when driven hard. I still want one though.

I got sick of waiting so I bought an iX3 instead. Will see what the delivery schedule is like on the M50 when I finally get to place an order when the order books open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

So are you looking at 250-280km range on the motorway at 120km/hr in the i4 M50?

With the 20 inch wheels I get about 300-320km.

I was looking at prices here vs UK and the m50 is a comparative bargain.

Around 80k euro versus 65k sterling.

Conversely, the new M2 starts at 113k euro in Ireland and is 61.5 k sterling in the UK.

so it’s actually cheaper than the i4 m50.

blame the crazy level of vrt the greens have imposed on ice cars I suppose.

I bought an AMG CLA45 from new at the end of 2015. Base price now vs then is €40k more expensive….madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Anyone know why some of the videos shows the i4s with gammy looking reflectors at the front of the front wheels arches?

Guessing and hoping maybe it’s a US regulation thing!

https://youtu.be/GUN271MHdYI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Yes it's a US regulation luckily and looks ridiculous IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 13 skipjack1

Not sure if there is any interest but thought I would check back in with how I am getting on the i4 edrive40 m sport

I've had mine for around six months and done around 10,000km mostly country roads and the odd trip to Dublin on the motorway.

I don't have the m sport adaptive suspension but have laser lights, comfort plus ,technology packages and sunroof.

The main takeaway is I still love it. The range is generally around 480km on the 18 inch wheels.

The pace is addictive and if you have the m50 I don't know how you still have a license as I find myself overtaking everywhere even when I shouldn't!

The car is comfortable and corners with no body roll and it feels planted probably due to the weight.

It's also not too wide which can be a curse when you live in the countryside.

Charging in Kildare with Ionity once per 400km round trip is no chore when doing the Dublin Airport run.

It's great fun to drive and own with the only gripe being the climate controls and heated seat controls on the touchscreen.

Post edited by skipjack1 on

I got a confirmed build week 3, 2023 from the dealer today. Hopefully that won’t slip.

seems production delays are improving and supply will be better next year.

• Advertisement

So my next car will not be an i4 as I ordered a Tesla Model Y yesterday, the price dropped (!) €12k overnight. But if a base model i4 came out that would slip under the grant limit, I might change my mind or change car again quickly 😁

Advertisement