Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I'm thinking of importing something silly from the UK. Possibly a pre July 2008 (cheaper road tax at 1800😨) V8 Audi S4/5 or BMW 650i.

Can get them real cheap in mainland UK.

VRT seems to be calculated on OMSP, is VAT and customs calculated on this too or actual price paid?

If actual price paid then a receipt from dealer should be good, but what about private? A written receipt from seller surely wouldn't be worth much.

These questions have probably already been answered here already, but going back through over 2yrs of posts on my phone was taking a very long time.

Thanks 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Vat and customs is 35.3% of the invoice selling price + shipping

Handwritten invoice is fine. You can get professional invoice templates online

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mochara17

Does anyone know if Land Rover and Jags manufactured in UK are exempt from customs duty on import under the rules of origin? Or where can I find this information for specific models? (range rover sport, XF, F-pace)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Its not just where the vehicle is manufactured but a certain percentage of it's components have to be manufactured there. I heard something like 60% of the vehicle's components have to be from there. No idea where that information would be available though, perhaps Revenue but usually they are can be very unhelpful in such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mochara17

Yeah I've heard that too, I'd be interested to know how this is decided or proven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

I'm intending viewing a car in the north tomorrow that was originally from England. Owner said he purchased from England in 2018. How do confirm when it was first registered in the north so that there is no customs/vat liability?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd imagine if you view the v5 document and see the current owner with a ni address and v5 issued back in 2018 or date purchased or whatever, that would be all you would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mark316

Did the UK budget last week include buying cars ex vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Given it was a mini-budget, this was never even on the radar.

The scheme is on hold until further notice.

The second-hand motor vehicle export refund scheme (the refund scheme) was due to be introduced with effect from 1 October 2022. ICAEW’s Tax Faculty understands that this will now be delayed due to ongoing negotiations between the UK government and the EU about the implementation of the Northern Ireland Protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Hi,

looking for info on importing a vintage motorbike from NI.

Seller has a copy of the previous owner slip. Thinks he has tax book too.

DVLA Reg check says that it is SORN and that last V5C was issued in Sept 2020.

Is just the slip enough to import it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You definitely need the V5C.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Can a v5 be got from that slip? Found form V62 on DVLA, application for reg cert. Says to use if you have nor received V5 in your name

That applies to UK residents. They won't send it to a non UK address. Why can't the seller request it?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Is there any way of calculating what the import charge would be on a pre 2020 registered car from the north, looking at a 2019 tiguan that the garage has the correct V5 form showing it is a NI car. When i go on revenue.ie it calculates the VRT total at roughly 12. Wondering if this includes the VAT or if it is separate.

VAT is completely separate. €12k seems high. Are you entering the correct Nox figure? It should be around 0.040

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Afaik there would be no VAT due - as long as the car has more than 6000km on the clock (if less, it is treated as a new car, and VAT would apply).

Not your ornery onager

Its doing that because you didn’t put the correct amount in

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

I believe if I import a 2022 electric Northern Ireland car I pay no VRT or nox, would it be liable for VAT/tax or are electric cars exempt? Car value 32000E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Surely, basically any amount can be entered on a private purchase invoice. Is this just accepted at face value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anything can be investigated if suspected of being fraudulent so I wouldnt rock up with a 50k bmw and an invoice stating you paid 3k for it.

I'd imagine any invoice that was reasonable wouldn't be questioned.

Ah yeh, I was thinking do they default to the revenue VRT OMSP calculator when there is a doubt and if so how that would apply to bikes.

I haven't brought anything in since Brexit - do I pay customs+VAT at the NCT centre when I'm paying the VRT?

They don’t default to OMSP. This is a completely different figure that includes VRT

They can look for bank statements, proof of transfer, screenshot of car advertisement etc.

You pay customs before VRT through a customs broker. Nothing to do with NCT staff

Motorcycle VRT is calculated on engine cubic capacity. €2 per c.c. up to 350c.c., plus €1 per c.c. above that.

Discounted by basically 10% for each year of age.

I'm not sure what VRT, if any, is due on a motorcycle over 10 years old.

Not your ornery onager

As far as I can remember they charge 10% on bikes over 10 years old.

Is VAT liable bringing in a pre 2020 NI vehicle across the border?

No, as long as it was registered in NI before 01/01/21.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

This is more a rant than anything but feel I need to vent. It obviously doesn't come as a surprise but the value, even in benefiting from VRT exemption, is gone.

Moved back from UK 2 years ago and now helping a friend figure out what to do as he plans to move back next year. I know things were different but you'd get a £30k car in the UK with an Irish value of about €70-odd k. It was a no-brainer.

For the same £30k now you seem to be looking at about €45-55k range, at most.

I know the dynamics around used car prices are all over the place but it seems particularly crazy. Has the UK become more expensive relative to Ireland? Has Ireland become relatively cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

COVID, Brexit, shortage of semiconductor chips. There are several factors at play but the shortage of chips means there's less new cars and therefore more people looking to buy second hand cars. As with everything, price depends on supply and demand so prices have gone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

Yup, I get those factors boosting used car prices globally.

But I had (I now realise, naively) guessed those factors would have impacted Irish used car prices worse than UK car prices - for example I'd have guessed fewer imports from UK to Ireland the past couple of years would have pushed Irish prices up.

To give examples, 2years ago I was looking at 2018 GLEs and X5s for about £30k (then equivalent to about €33k) worth €75-80k in Ireland.

Now a 2yr old X5 or GLE is about £48-50k (say €55k) and worth about €80-85k.

So feels like a EUR equivalent increase of about €15k in the UK Vs about €5-10k in Ireland. And I'd have expected the opposite

• Advertisement

The UK is experiencing the same shortage of new cars as Ireland so that has the same knock on effect on used car prices there. Less new cars sold means less second hand cars available which in turn pushes prices of them up. You also have to factor inflation as well as taxes have gone through the roof in the UK pushing the price of new cars that are available up further too. Compare the UK price of a brand new X5 2 years ago to the price of a brand new one right now.

Advertisement