Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland vs Ireland, Women's World Cup Play-Off Final, RTE 2, 8pm k.o.

• 11-10-2022 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Biggest game in the history of the women's team tonight. It's possible qualification will be secured with a win, although even a win may not be the end of it as RTE explain:

"There are two other qualification play-offs that get underway at 6pm with Portugal hosting Iceland and Switzerland welcoming Wales.

"There are two automatic World Cup places to go around between the winners of the three-play-offs with the third team going to a ten-team inter-confederations tournament in New Zealand this February.

"The two highest-ranked teams that win their play-off will automatically progress to the World Cup and Ireland currently sit in third place with Switzerland and Iceland above them. Put simply Ireland need to beat the Scots and hope that either Iceland or the Swiss are defeated.

"But even then, there’s a caveat. Given the nature of the standings, with Switzerland on 19 points, Iceland on 18 and Ireland of 17, things are still subject to change. A win in the play-offs in normal or extra-time is worth three points and a win on penalties is worth a point so Ireland could conceivably still leapfrog either of the other two sides with a victory and their rivals being taken to penalties.

"All of which is of course moot if Ireland don’t beat Scotland."

Jessica Ziu has done her ACL, while Megan Connolly, Ruesha Littlejohn, Leanne Kiernan and Ellen Molloy are also out.

Do you reckon we win tonight? I'm uneasy about it. I'd be more confident if we had a home draw. I hope we can dig out a result. I'd take a scrappy 1-0 from a set-piece.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I'd take a scrappy 1-0 too, but I'll take a bit of McCabe magic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That qualification set up is even more convoluted than the Nations League. Why do they make these things so complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Meh, they are hardly rocket science, people just want to be spoon-fed at times.

Every confederation fights like hell for slots in the finals. UEFA got 11.xx places - it'd be great if they'd got 12 places and we wouldn't have to do this. But we are we are, 11.xx places is better than 11 places and there's an intercontintental play-off for UEFAs 12th team. They've done a reasonably good job of making sure that the 12th team is found in a fair way via football results, better than pulling one of the play-off winners out of a hat or something.

Aye, weren't you on the Ireland thread telling everyone that the qualification via the Nations League route wasn't "rocket science" but then later admitted; "Ah, OK. After slagging other people for not reading the rules properly, I'll hold my hands up and say I got that wrong".😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It still doesn't make it convoluted. I made an idiotic misread of one clause (in amongst a few posts that seemed to be appreciated explaining where Ireland stood overall). I regularly misread maps as well, but that's on me, not the map 😀

Again, for tonight, I can only repoint out that UEFA has 11.xx qualifying slots and this seems to be the fairest football way of deciding the 12th team who goes to the International Qualifier.

For tonight, very hopeful but would prefer if we'd won the coin-toss for home advantage. Scotland have been to a couple of final tournaments already so likely more experienced for these occasions, and this will be a much bigger crowd than we are used to playing in front of. Getting a bye to the final of the play-off was obviously good at the time, but the extra tie last week may also have been useful for Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nice that they'll know exactly what's needed come kick off with the other two games underway now anyway.

<edit>

Wales 1-0 up over the Swiss - if it stays like that, a win puts us right through.

<edit 2>

Both games drawn at halftime now - 1-1 between Wales and Switzerland, and 0-0 in the Portugal Iceland game. Not quite as good as Wales winning would've been, but still results that look alright for us... another thing other the Swiss and Icelandics both winning in normal time suits us.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Swiss leading Wales sadly heading into the final minutes. Still level between Portugal and Iceland.

Update: Swiss goal was chalked off for offside. Good news!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Portugal really should have done better. Took the lead in the second half v 10 players, but only draw.

Wales get their draw too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Midnight kick off for me and I'm not sure I'll stay awake that long. It would be amazing if they won!

Both other matches finish with draws in regular time - which means if we win our match in normal time, we're straight into the world cup regardless!

• Advertisement

I think if the Swiss and Iceland win it in extra time then it still counts as if it were normal time, so we need one of them to go to pens - or ideally Portugal or Wales to win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Portugal only take 2 minutes of et to take the lead.

Encouraging start. Most of the action in the opposition's final third.

Oh really? Ah feck... Joe Molloy on Off The Ball over the weekend said that it was only 3 points for a win in normal time, that extra time wins still counted as a draw, but i've a feeling they might have been mistaken. Ah well, we're still looking alright with Portugal winning, and the other game a draw.

Damn. Scotland have a pen for Fahey's handball. Correct decision.

BROSNAN SAVES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Excellent save

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Should have been red for Fahey really.

Portugal 3-1 up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

After a bright start we are getting pushed backed easily. We need to get hold of the ball, Scotland well on top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

While it clearly denied a goal scoring opportunity, I don't think there was much intent with that. It came at her far too quick to even think about it.

• Advertisement

Campbell's throw-in beats the keeper and goes straight in but no touch so no goal.

What a chance for O'Gorman. Great cross by McCabe.

Portugal have won 4-1 so if we win here inside 120 minutes we're off to the World Cup.

Poor Wales have lost after conceding a goal in the 121st minute of extra time. That's a heartbreaker for them.

Damn, how did we not score there?!

Half-time. We're doing okay. Campbell's throws and McCabe's crosses are asking questions. Hopefully if we keep plugging away the moment will come.

Campbell has some launch of the ball sham

The long throw causing chaos, dunno how we’re not ahead from it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

We need more composure with our chances. Could rue the lack of a goal there. Anyone know if a win on penalties is any use to us?

Win on penalties and we go to the play off in Feb. Have to win within the 120 to go straight through.

What’s the story with the Scots actually, what do they need?

Come on Ireland! Two evenly matched teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Could have easily been ahead at half time but couldn't put away any of those chances. Scotland have started second half stronger and probably look a bit more comfortable on the ball. They look shaky on balls into the box though. Could go either way here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

Hamilton said the Scots need to win by a handful of goals and they get through to the play offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

Dunno about that. Scots well on top imo

BARRETT!

What a break!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

Could somebody tell George there can’t be a draw. Someone has to win this playoff.

BARRETT!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Get in u beauty

• Advertisement

**** get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lovely finish there. Been 2nd best this half but that doesn't matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That was a fantastic goal. The first touch by Barrett was perfect and the finish was class

Don't jinx this on us, George!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Great goal. Lovely 1st touch in fairness and deft finish. Donegal woman too, fitting celebration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

George is talking nonsense right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

George doing his absolute level best to curse the team.

What George is saying makes no sense. What's the point of having a penalty shoot-out, after a 120min draw, if it doesn't change anything??

There has to be a winner tonight. He's just confusing people talking about draws.

6 minutes to go...

Yeah, George is talking like even if Ireland lose a penalty shoot-out, they'll go through to a play-off and Scotland will go out. He's lost it!

WE'RE THERE!

An Irish senior team finally makes it to a WC again, fair play them.

Thrilled for the ladies!

Thoroughly deserved.

Just like the English Women, showing the men how to do it.

Brilliant. Well done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement