Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Gudstock

You buy mine, I'll buy yours, the remainder look like great value to the average punter then...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was at a pedigree sale this year and this guy sat beside me. He bid on at least half the lots but didn't buy anything. Strange but he wasn't one bit disappointed he didn't get anything. A lot of cute hoorism going on.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Looking at them most of them weren't star rated.. so I would guess alot of them would be for showing & beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

It said BDGP NO on the board because they’re too young for the scheme (not 16 months old and genotyped 4/5 star).

Did it show how many stars they have and they’re not 4/5 star anyway?

• Advertisement

I showed up 4/5 stars for any the would potentially prove 4/5 star when BDGP tested.. same as any other female animal for and ICBF herd but most of them has no potential stars showing so assume they were 3 star or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone watching Gortatlea Mart special suckler sale on LSL? A BB heifer just sold for €3120. Mad Ted!

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Simple heifer enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

young clare farmer got nice money for heifers in gort this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RockOrBog

I wonder how is the weanling trade at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

I bought weanlings in Gortatlea a few weeks back and was pleasantly surprised at the price I had to pay. I was buying around 300kg continental weanlings, mainly U grade potential with an odd R through them. €2.65 per kg they averaged which is exactly the same as what I paid last year.

It’s hard to see how the man selling them is making much from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Did you rob the shirt off that poor mans back aswell?

Some steal

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I can’t bid against myself. I was expecting them to be €3 plus. It was mainly Limousines I was buying and that was about the run of the pricing.

There was Charlaois selling a bit less than that even. I wouldn’t have minded some of them but I know the man that was buying them so I stuck with the limousines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Grueller

That's the reality of suckling. DBK1 would be in as bad a way financially if he overpaid. For someone to make money on cattle, the unfortunate truth is that others in the chain must lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Theres overpaying and then theres underpaying....those cattle are worth at least 1000 euro!

Some bargain

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They are worth what they are bid to. An R+ bullock 350 kgs DW ( about 660 LW) would make 1700 euro at present.

If you squeeze them weanlings it will be 13-15 months minimum before they hit that weight.

We are after a bad year for lads finishing. Cattle killing 20-40 kgs lighter than normal. To carry those cattle for that period of time will cost 550 ish eur0 provided you can keep the ration below 200 kgs ,( unlikely)

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭older by the day

Was looking at the mart last Friday nice little suckler bred heifers 250kg around 550 -600. I can not rear a bucket fed calf off my own mikling cows for that. If I was smart I should sell every dairy calf and pick up a few of those light heifers every October.

€1,000 is probably what they should be making for the man rearing them to have something out of it but unfortunately that doesn’t mean they’re worth that.

To any man buying them to keep to factory they are only worth what the factories decide to pay. At the moment at €4.60 per kg and dropping, the future doesn’t look promising for finishers so all we can do is keep our costs as low as possible.

As Grueller said, and it’s something I’ve said here before also, with beef stock theres only room for one person to make money on an animal, everyone else has to lose out. It’s one of the reasons I can’t understand lads complaining about the 4 movements rule on animals. There should be no more than 1 or maybe at maximum 2 movements on any animal, otherwise they just can’t make money. Every movement is costing €50 plus per head when it’s worked out so an animal with 4 movements has €200 already taken from them, it’s impossible to make money at that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I never heard such a load of bull shlt ,the finisher had the best year ever they bought stores at low prices trough out most of the year ,cattle were out early ,cattle would not have to be housed at any stage .Prices were mighty all year and held up to 2 weeks ago but the beef rearer will be screwed no matter what .It is really a fools game to have to sell quality yierlings and stores at such low prices with all the costs and hard work done.The finishing is the easy part in my book ,but then again Gortatlea mart is in the equation so need to say no more,the biggest stones of a mart in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bought a couple of animals at a sale on Saturday. They're still not in my herd. Would it normally take this long to process?

• Advertisement

@whelan2 they should be in your herd the next day, often see when I buy cattle in some marts during the week they would be showing up on Agfood before midnight on that day, it sometimes takes a few days for them to be on ICBF (yet i have noticed if selling cattle in the mart they are removed from my ICBF list as soon as they enter the mart). If it was a special sale / on farm sale then it could take an extra few days but I would guess they should be moved across by tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

What mart were they selling in?

Asking for a friend. Obviously.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Weanlings haven't gotten the same lift in price as heavier / older cattle and looking at some marts I would guess the sub 400kg heifer is probably back a little bit on last year. Costs to feed cattle for the the winter will be high so buyers cant give that much more for stock. I made 85 bales of after grass silage a few weeks back and they are costing me €31.14 each, (without any value put on the field) due to cost of fertilizer,1.5 tonne @€1,260 is contributing €14.82 per bale alone, that is over 100% increase, meal (€450/tonne) would be the same, where as beef has only increase by 20 -25%. I was taking to a guy the other day who kills about 100 cattle a year and we were discussing this, he said his cash turnover is well up but his profit is well back on the last few years, fertilizer & meal has killed it on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First of all you profit is what is left between what you pay for replacements, what you costs are and what the factory price is.

Any benifit in the higher price bas been more than negated by extra costs. I actually made more money last year

While those on wetter farms have done well this year lads on dryer farms were cruified by the drought.

Costs have absolutely exploded even worse than I taught. I have spread the same amount of fertilizer that added 65/ animal to the costs. Ration is 100/ ton more expensive than last year and I have used more of it and I am not finished yet. I have calculated that it will end up averaging 100/ head compared to about 50 last year.

DW has plummeted this year in me. About 25 kgs/ head or about 125 euro/ head.

So the price is up. The base price has been running about 10% ahead of last year until 2 weeks ago. That is about 45c/kg. However my Friesian's have graded poorer because of the lower DW so the gap is about 5-7%. So prices are better at about 30-35c/kg or about 110 euro/head.

I probably started buying stores too early and had too many bought by mid July. However the bog they grazed for 3 weeks in August is never grazed by heavy cattle.

Gortnalea or any mart may seem great. In general except for late May and June finished cattle make 150-200 less than factory prices. The lads that can sell them straight into the factory are cleaning up. Lads have not been finishing cows this year's as they have send them straight form the mart to the factory.

Best game in town would be buying in the mart and selling straight to the factory but processors will only allow certain finishers to do it. I LOL when you mention that.

I have said it many times here that is he finisher only takes his margin after costs. The smaller finisher like myself is getting anything from 10-40+c/kg less than the bigger finishers depending on time of year. In theory you can travel but transport any distance is 25/head or 7-8c/kg. Weight loss will be an extra 2% or 9c/kg. I need 20c/kg to start seeing a margin at that extra price I be getting about 15 euro/head extra.

The lads buying the younger store are probably going to try to sell this time next year or the following spring. any movement into and out of a mart costs 50 euro minimum now even if you use your own transport. Buying commission is 10.50 I presume sellers is higher than that. That leaves 25-27 euro to cover sellers and buyers transport. An animal that is moved three time through marts has a 150 euro gone outside the general farming system. Factory stops another 10.50. Give that the average animal is tested 3 times that another 15 euro.

Just as an aside while beef base prices have gone up 10%, milk prices to producers have risen by 40-50%. Extra costs are probably similar in both system's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭older by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Couldn't agree more on the movements. Each one strips value from the farmers to hauliers/marts/dealers. Also there is an animal performance impact of each long day in the mart.

Lads would be better off keep their calves to slaughter and cut out the middlemen. Buy half the calves and finish what they buy. The arse will fall out of the calf market but let it, it needs serious attention anyway.

Larry won't be able to fill his feedlots with stores to dictate the beef market with if primary producers hold cattle to finish.

The whole system is geared to strip money from the farmer, too many middlemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

I have a Friend who is an agent for both Farmers and Factory alike he buys what the customers order. This year he bought a bad batch of bullocks and when they're in your herd you have to be satisfied with them. How can I end our business relationship without hurting his feelings. He charges €30 per head to buy and never has to spend his own money. Cattle are bought on credit and paid for within the week after Sale. The Mart agrees to this because such a large number of stock are bought on these terms. I have spoken to other customers who reckon this year a large proportion of the stock bought were dealers cattle which resulted in lack of thrive and animal performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭High bike

How would u consider him a friend if he's buying u bad quality cattle and charging u for the privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Just tell him you are going buying them on line yourself then get someone/mart manager to buy for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I'd be telling that lad where to go. Buy your cattle elsewhere in future. I wouldn't worry about hurting his feelings as he has no respect or loyalty to you.

Advertisement