Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying a pension is like donating your money to a stranger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

2008 ended up being a great boost for pensions in the long run as stocks were cheaper to accumulate in your pension fund, basically every crash in the stock market thus far has been an opportunity of a lifetime to accumulate wealth, this is a fact to this point in time.

Much better to have it and not know what to do with it rather than not having enough to live comfortably, personally I hope to have enough to look after my grandkids when the time comes, what people do with their money is their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

Look, it's a way to go but why not hedge your bets or don't put all your eggs in the public pension other investments I can make basket (even though in theory that could be quite diversified etc)

I've often met older people that seemed to have rolled along and almost made a pension an aftetthought...not one of them ever whinged about having it

At the end of the day if you are on the high rate of tax your getting what 40% of your contributions back in that you would have contributed it to the govt for nothing? unless you can claim it back some other way...see it like a long term savings scheme with instant 40% interest, it may be locked up but unless you croak it before you get to it thats a decent savings account

Then you do have choice of companies/fees etc so you can tailor to a degree within the rules to suit your strategy

Just contribute what you can to get the tax relief would be my initial thought...obviously though maybe do that after you have raised the capital for the other investments ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you had liquidity to buy the stocks low after the crash, you would have been much better off than having bought them when they were high, through your pension fund, and then just waiting around for the market to eventually recover

My wife's father died in 2009, he had invested his money in 'the banks' which were nationalised after the crash he lost everything just before he died leaving his widow with very little other than the cash savings he had in the bank and a small life insurance policy.

Maybe if he lived another 10 years he would have recovered that investment, but he didn't.

Pensions are a good long term investment, except when they're not, and with massive crashes happening every 8-12 or so years over the past few decades, a lot of people will end up facing retirement with less than they put in, especially with inflation eating away at their gains

Private pensions are seen as the alternative to state pensions, and people on the contributary OAP are seen as 'living off the tax payer'

A lot of people who think like this now, will regret not demanding a better state pension when they get to retirement age.

Investing in banks is stock picking, investment funds are diversified which protects them from the shocks like the banks had in 2008.

As I said previously, Pension funds start unwinding equity positions in pensions approximately 8 years before the pension falls due to protect the bulk of the investment, this is a default position and you have to request this unwinding not to happen to stay fully invested in equities/bonds for the remainer of the pension term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If you are using any of it to ensure a comfortable retirement then fine but you're doing it with no tax incentives and I doubt you're earning 8%+ pa as my pension fund will. I'll admit it was tight at times paying a pension in the early days of mortgage and rearing a family but it was absolutely worth it. I'm now retired with an impressive lump sum tax free and a healthy ongoing pension income. Get a pension and get it when you're as young as possible. Don't leave yourself skint but also try to make as much use of the tax incentives as you can. In years to come those who opt out may not see the level of state pension available today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

OP, you are not investing in a pension in your 20's just for the benefit of your 70's. You are doing it for the benefit of your 30's and 40's. Because if you leave it to 40 to decide it's time to care about your pension, you will find it is too late to achieve a decent one. Every euro you put away in your 20's is worth many, many times that by the time you retire, even with inflation taken into account.

At the age of 25, if you put €1 into your pension fund, if matched by your employer, that euro becomes almost €4 straight away. By the time you are 35, it will likely be worth double that adjusted for inflation (€8). By the time you are 45, it will hopefully have doubled again (adjusted for inflation), giving you €16. Moving into lower risk funds after that, you might hope that it will double again over the next 20 years (adjusted for inflation), giving you €32 on your retirement.

For most people, it will simply be the best thing they ever did with money.

Yes, during your 20's and 30's you may have a lower wage (especially in your 20's), and lots of competing priorities for that money, so nobody expects you to be putting away huge sums, but you will be grateful for every euro you invested by the time you are in your 40's and realise you still have a long way to go before reaching your pension goals.

For example, if, at the age of 40 you decide you need €1 million in your fund by retirement to sustain the lifestyle you currently have, you may find that, if starting from scratch, that it is simply a mountain too big to climb. But even having €200K of that already in your fund will go a long, long way to helping you achieve that target (i.e. that €200K at 40 may result in €400K to €500K by retirement age simply through investment returns, meaning you only need to build up the remaining €500K to €600K from age 40), which would be a more realistic option for you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wiped out", or "bailed out by the taxpayers".

Yes, when investing, there are good years and bad years, but the good years more than make up for the bad ones, leaving you with a good average over a long term. If we look at the S&P 500, a poplar index and measure of "wall street performance", since January 1993 (the last 30 years), it is currently up over 1,050% as of today. Yes, that means an investment 30 years ago is worth 10 times that today. Obviously, we need to adjust for inflation, which brings that down to 580%. Not bad, given we are currently in the middle of a huge bear market and suffering ridiculous inflation rates.

Crashes don't result in the entire fund being wiped out, simply that some of the gains from previous years are surrendered. This is not a problem in any way. And it is why one typically invests in high risk funds up to their 40's (so there is sufficient time to recover from the most recent crash) before de-risking to low yield funds, and then finally moving to very-low risk/yield funds in the years approaching retirement.

Pensions are for idiots. The smart people will just spend the last payment they get before retirement on scratchcards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I was wondering why such a scheme was needed as people are surely smart enough to plan ahead but with the OP's approach to planning for retirement I understand why its needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,326 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah so I think someone needs to sit you down with some actuarial tables. Current life expectancy in Ireland is 82 years, so assuming you're going to die before 70 is probably not the best plan.

If you do end up with some sort of debilitating illness, then I imagine having cash on hand would be ideal to make your day to day life easier.

Imagine for example you have trouble getting up stairs and need a chair lift. You can fight with the grant scheme or the HSE or just pay for the damn thing and you have it straight away

I agree that making contributions to the point of destitution is not really a good idea. But I think you're exaggerating how much money you could gain by not contributing

For example if I take your friend who's living paycheck to paycheck. I've no idea about their circumstances, but lets say she's on €25k and is 25 year old. In this economy that's about the right amount of money to barely fend off starvation

Okay so if she's maxed out her contributions then she's putting 10% or €2.5k into her pension each year. If she drops that to 0%, then that's a bit under €2k back in her pocket after tax

Since she's living paycheck to paycheck, let's assume any extra goes to savings or investments

€2k a year isn't really gonna amount to much unless you happen to invest in the next Tesla or Bitcoin

I think she'd be better off looking for ways to make more money. Not trying to be flippant about it, but the simplest way to get more money is to get paid more

Now perhaps there's a way that she could put her current pension contributions to better use to upskill or something to get a better paid job. But I would consider that a short term sacrifice to make the longer term plan of saving for the future more viable

Also, regarding your comment about elderly people with more money than they know what to do with, I imagine if they did have so much cash on hand they would simply give it to their children to help with the deposit on a house.

Personally, when I'm older and my children are buying their homes, I am hopeful that I will be able to contribute to their deposits and then they can get a smaller mortgage and not spend their 30s in borderline poverty like I did

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Well, financial companies are looking for investors, state is looking at keeping the economy running.

My question is why does the state offers tax free AVC? If it's in good faith why they don't offer gouvernmental bonds or give you other ways of investing your money, such as buying a rental/business with your own tax free money?

I'm a bit skeptic of Uncle Sam, retirement age keeps increasing, thinking that it's just a plan for the state to stop the state pension and leave us on our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I'm paying tax to put the money to good use right now while it's more valuable (value = money that has not been ravaged by inflation/economic factors at a time in my life when I need it more than ever)

I understand all of this and still stand by what I'm saying. I would much prefer one euro now than 32 on retirement purely down to the fact that I am in the prime of my life when money is needed most.

Who's to say I won't get a directorship in a multinational in my 40s that pays 150K a year? Then it would make sense to plough money into the pension - better contribution from employer and better foresight on what retirement will look like.

It's all about not following a mindless plan that, at the end of the day, really only benefits ponsion funds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Exactly, and this would have the added benefit of stimulating the economy and creating solid domestic job opportunities. The government cannot stand not having people suckling off their teat in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I'd much rather pop the contributions in a safe account and when I hit 66 take it all out and go wild in Vegas.

At least I'd be the one enjoying the rush of the gamble.

Giving someone else your money to gamble with - feck that, why would they give two fooks about losing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

The state doesn't offer tax free AVC. The only "tax free" element to your pension is the lump sum. The rest is tax deferment. Instead of paying tax at the marginal rate now, you are putting the money aside before tax and investing it and then drawing down post retirement when you have no other taxable income.

The state does offer government bonds, and some of your pension fund may even end up investing in them, but they don't even match inflation, so why would you think that's a good idea?

You can be sceptical of Uncle Sam all you want, but this is Ireland, so I have no idea what you think the US Government have to do with your pension.

I understand all of this.

I really don't think you do!

I would much prefer one euro now than 32 on retirement

And what do you intend to live on when you are too old to work? And how rich do you think you will be that you will be happy to forego such an amazing investment return?

Who's to say I won't get a directorship in a multinational in my 40s that pays 150K a year? Then it would make sense to plough money into the pension - better contribution from employer and better foresight on what retirement will look like.

If you start making €150K in your 40's, and haven't started a pension, then you are double-fcuked. You will need a significant pension fund to enable you to retire at the living standard you will have grown accustomed to, and thus need an even larger amount saved by the time you are 40. Basically, while all pension planning is based on assumptions etc, whatever amount you aim to retire on, you should aim to have approx 40% of it funded by your contributions/investment prior to 40.

Exactly, and this would have the added benefit of stimulating the economy and creating solid domestic job opportunities. The government cannot stand not having people suckling off their teat in some way.

I really have no idea what you are trying to say here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Some people just don't understand pensions, which is a pity for them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you don’t like being young and broke, you’ll like it even less when you are old and won’t be able to make a change. And on top of that most people don’t want to have to work till retirement age. I got out at 55 as did most of my friends - there is a lot of things you can do when the week consists of six Saturdays and one Sunday and stretches out for 15, maybe 20 years, but it takes money - four holidays, a couple of weekends a way, concerts, football matches and days or weekends spend on hobbies do not come cheap.

Work hard, get out as early as you can and enjoy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i hope they dont get rid of the SW pension, but i reckon they will eventually; or at least means test it out of oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Here is the thing, nobody actually gives a crap about what you do for a pension beyond perhaps your dependents. Now you have two choices you can listen to the small number of people spouting baseless nonsense because it suits you not having to do anything or you can concentrate of actual research documents, the choice is yours. The internet is full of well researched documents etc, so you have no excuse. Here is a link, if you are even interested: https://tweedy.com/research/papers_speeches.php

This is not a decision you can reverse later. Investing works best when time is your friend, the risks you have to take later in life to build up a pot are more likely to fail. And retire voters are very selfish - they are not big on voting for public services and social welfare, ask any young family in Florida, so don’t count on anyone sharing their pot with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, they’ll have to. Already trying to put the pension age to 67… “well people are living longer”… bullshit, there are more people to pay.

They already means test the disability allowance… they pretty know how many bank accounts everyone has although not what’s in them…so extending this to the pension… already floated… you’ll be marched into the SW office, asked to supply statements.

better off getting a safe in your residence. In years to come that will be happening.

Rather than listening to talking heads you need to start dealing in facts! The stock market had fully recovered within 5 years and the annualized return over the past decade was around 14% and had you DCA over the period you’d have done better. What was your annualized return over the past three decades?

The demographics are against you! Most of the taxpayers will be retired along with you, that is why we have the crisis in the first place.

Any why the taxpayers have to pay you a pension and pay for your care on top of it? Talk about entitlement!

This post says you won’t be in line for a directorship at an MNC you just don’t have the understanding. If you were to get a job paying 150k in your mid 40s it would be too late to catch up unless you were to put most of it into the pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are two main State Pension schemes:

(1) SP contributory - based on SI contributions, not-means-tested

(2) SP non-contributory - for people who don't have enough SI conts paid, this is means-tested

You seem to suggest that (1) will be abolished?

If so, then PRSI rates should halve, as PRSI will no longer be required to finance the SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Unfortunately lads like the OP will be bitching and moaning come retirement age about how little they have to live on, no doubt looking for a tax to be put on the pensions of the more prudent to bail them out. They'll probably have no shortage of political parties pandering to them too - you know, because of 'fairness' and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

You won't get this 'directorship in a multinational' for the same reason you prefer €1 now to €32 on retirement: your personality type doesn't want to delay gratification. You're the reason opt-out arrangements are a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I have a retirement account in Canada and the US. I have some social insurance built up in both jurisdictions too. It will be a tricky situation to minimize witholding tax when the time comes to start paying out depending on which country I'm living in.

I'm glad I've consistently contributed though, even just to defer income tax and create a saving habit. What is the point of increasing my current spend? The marginal increase in quality of life is not really worth it for me, also by living a more lavish lifestyle it will just become my baseline expectation and increase the pressure to earn more money.

Once you earn a certain salary, the utility of more money falls exponentially. However by distributing the capital over your expected lifetime, you will maximize it's utility. For example I earn close to double that aspirational number you mentioned earlier but I started out on 22k and I contributed then, some small amount to establish the habit.

I agree in some respect though. I do not have a "pension fund". I don't trade or pick stocks either(this is really stupid considering that you are competing with investing professionals and the specific risk of betting on single stocks is very high). For me the most convenient way to build a diversified portfolio that should be able to ride out most shocks with some tweeks during big macro events, was to open a vanguard account, buy their cheap funds which mirror their exchange traded ETFs and have management fees of like .04%-.1%(for something a little exotic), you can also access fixed income there which lately has become an option after about 30 years. I think financial advisors, pension managers and other middle men offer very little value to me but charge expensive management fees.

Why bother with all of this? I don't just want to retire at 70, I want to retire at 50 and I will literally require millions. It's not that I want to do nothing(although that sounds nice right now), it's that I want the freedom to do nothing if that's what I desire. I wouldn't mind changing career or picking up a new hobby or whatever. Have no anxiety over money ever again even if we are struck by illness or a death. Financial freedom would be pretty sweet.

I believe it's also referred to as f*ck off money, just enough to tell people to f*ck off, if you don't want to do something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

automatic opt-in makes sense, humans struggle to think in the long term, this will hopefully help with preparing us for old age, even though there are risks involved and monies invested simply may not be enough or investments may not even work out, this still makes sense

Advertisement