Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Blanchardstown Shopping Center 2021 Updates?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Seve OB will be apoplectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why?

you were the one who said nobody should be allowed build/buy a new house with a garden in Dublin. Actually no, you said that if anyone wants to buy a new home in Dublin then it has to be an apartment.

I just disagreed that ALL residential properties Should to be built like this.

a happy medium can be found, we are probably at it with the style of houses the build nowadays. But most houses/ estates that get built nowadays anyway are IMO terrible, built way to close to neighbours, probably no front garden at all, lucky to have off street parking and back gardens the size of a postage stamp. I wouldn’t buy or move into anything like that personally I prefer a house with a garden

Thats precisely the point though isn't it, we don't have the luxury of space or sustainability to build endlessly the exact design of houses you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Exactly, compared to other European countries, we have too many houses with gardens, and not enough apartments, but the expectations of the Irish are for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Site notice up where River Island is that their unit and the unit next door (Yours Clothing) are amalgamating. Possibly a bigger RI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Here is a list of shops Id love to see any one of one day in Blanchardstown or nearby:

1. Apple Shop (a real one)
    2. Target
    3. Goodwill (I love fixing broken electronics - local Vincents etc. are not very good for this)
    4. Any Decent PC parts shop (eg. scan.co.uk or microcenter etc)
    5. Staples - (more varied than easons)
    6. A Sushi shop with a conveyor belt (like Brown Thomas, or Dundrum and Swords used to have)
    7. Walmart
    8. Pop-up Christmas Shop
    9. Food hall (one seating area with all the food places - like Liffey valley)
    10. Place that sells Pub meals (ie. Cavery)
    11. A Bewleys for the Full Irish Breakfasts and stickey buns (kays is okish I suppose)
    12. Amazon non-online shop (there are a few in UK)
    13. Costco

Doubt we could see any of that list - but what would you like to see if you could pick any store to move in?

“Roll it back”

Interesting selection there.

Guess we had a compu B which was as close to an actual apple shop as Ireland has had in long and many a year ( was there only ever one? On grafton street?)

target, Walmart , would fit in alright I’m sure but isn’t Costco a big warehouse job?

I would have liked to seen them open up top floor in Debenhams, would have made a great location for food hall along with a number of smaller shops

Keeping with your American dream, I would like a Dicks Sporting Goods, McGuirks is good, but open it up into Halfords and the sofa place and take inspiration from the PGA tour superstore and make a really great golf shop. Expand it more, run social evenings in it, simulator leagues, club nights, social events… be class.

realistically i would settle for a screw fix, Blanch Centre not great, but Coolmine ind est be ideal spot

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Fun Place has a pop up shop downstairs where the Calendar shop was last Christmas (previously Inglot next to downstairs Debenhams entrance).

If I'm right, The Fun Place was the joke shop/ costume shop that used to be next to the Gaiety Theatre in town. Looks to have lots of costumes anyway, I didn't go in for a closer look.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danfrancisco83

My votes for American places over here are Cafe Zupas and Jimmy Johns, when I'm in Salt Lake City they are always in the top 5 lunch destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

There is a very impressive 2 story “Fun Place” in St Stevens Green center, tad pricey, but great- I must have missed their popup visit in Blanchardstown.

I went to Costco last month - and yes its like Ikea but for food… and hardware. Really impressed.

Compu-b didn't sell unlocked IPhones - only Vodafone etc locked ones with subscriptions when I last went in - which would be absolute minimum I’d consider to be official apple. Maybe they do now - but still, Its just not the same…

I like the suggestion above of a shop that put the effort in to host special events- that would certainly increase customer loyalty. Eg. Disney shop used to do parades for kids on the hour. Games workshop used to do game night etc.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭raheny red

I'd love to have a small indo baker in the area.

Is compu b not gone completely now? Hasn’t been in Blanch for years….. or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It's gone, closed in March 2017. Rituals Cosmetics is in that unit now (facing Boots).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I would love to see more plus size clothing options in the Centre, hell even in Dublin. It is beyond ridiculous how hard it is to buy even basic clothes that last more than a few wears, don't look like your grandma's tablecloth and don't cost the earth.

On the theme of US shops, I would be in pure raptures if Lane Bryant opened up here for all the reasons just stated!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The laws relating to electronic items needing to be safe when resold by any form of business means that Goodwill US style electronics sections cannot happen here, ever.

Physical PC parts shops basically don't exist anymore, ever.

Most US chains you mentioned are never going to come to Ireland, e.g. Walmart failed in the UK already.

Fnac is a more realistic consumer electronics (and books/DVDs/CDs/records) retailer to look for really.

Kays was Bewleys, but Bewleys have exited that market entirely. Wetherspoons do pub food, there's no need for another albeit a better one would be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Way off topic but check out The Try On website/Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Remember Borders Books from USA tried and failed here too. Although I think that suffered globally from the decline in book/music physical sales generally. Used to love that shop with the Starbucks upstairs.

I only mentioned that shop to my missus recently and she was perplexed trying to remember it!

might have been in the wrong location. Book shop would be better in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Having to buy magazines from your competitors for a start didn't help

My daughter just declared to me ( and she has no ide this thread exists, let alone the current topic of wishes) that she would love if bath and bodywork’s came to Blanch and she said all her money would get spent there instead of penny’s 😂

• Advertisement

I remember it. My wife didn’t. New look now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭raheny red

Breads moreso than cakes is what I would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I find the big league shopping malls like Blanch will anymore rarely house businesses that offer artisan or bespoke type produce or products as the rents are often only high enough for chainstores to afford. You'll most likely see those types of shops in village main streets or even farmers markets etc.

Even something like Gleesons butchers or Mannings is almost an anomaly in Blanchardstown SC where international chains like Mango or Hollister are the more likely tenants anymore. I know when Blanch first opened, it had more independent or local style traders but the chains eventually outbid thenm at lease renewal time over the years. As major shopping centres are basically real estate investment fund vehicles, the highest bidder is all the investors care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glossy1

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A decent baker doesn't have to be in the centre though. Mannings is great for a coffee slice or whatever, but the likes of Bread 41 or No Messin' are a totally different style of bakery, and something like them in Blanchardstown or Castleknock villages would be a great addition to D15. There seems to be a reluctance on the part of businesses to open anything vaguely artisinal in the area. Whether thats because there's a perception that the market wouldn't support them or that they just don't want to open "all the way out" in D15, I don't know. But I do think that there is definitely a market for better quality food offerings, both shops and cafes/restaurants, in the area and that they'd do pretty well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not a new shop but they have recently opened a new Changing Place facility in the centre, just spotted it on Facebook this morning. It's

Blanchardstown Centre has installed a state-of-the-art Changing Places toilet facility that includes features and equipment making it more accessible for people with disabilities and additional physical needs. This facility will provide people with disabilities and their families a safe, dignified fit for purpose environment in which to care for their loved ones. The new Changing Places facility represents a significant step forward and is a positive contribution to the full inclusion, equality, and rights of disabled people within our community and Blanchardstown Centre.

“ We worked closely with Disability Advocates in the Community to understand their requirements and deliver a facility that is befitting their needs” said Joe Gavin, General Manager of Blanchardstown Centre.

https://www.facebook.com/blanchardstowncentre/posts/pfbid03saXQ8bhabGcFWffLHPQCZymMgAr6wEXmsGVkMDBKsD4p4MdPscykM2Cq69j39Rhl

While not a shop, you can get sourdough bread and some pastries delivered from a bakery in the area: https://sourdoughandbeyond.com/

They do weekly standing orders and now offer collections from Elmhurst Cottage Farm, beside Albert College Park which is just south of DCU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Why is the first drive in ramp so high in the red car park, I watched the other day and the slowest of cars were scrapping their front undercarriage?

It is also a big mistake not to have a separate/different exit for red car park.

And lastly the email for contacting the center info@blanchardstowncentre.com does not reply to emails .

Advertisement