Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You seem to be ignoring the costs of both loans on both sides in your analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Ffs, what the f*ck does this all have to do with dun Laoghaire???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

On an unrelated note I was down on the West pier earlier and noticed that the halting site is gone. Anybody know when and why it was removed???

@duploelabs Dunlaoighre related enough for you???

I did and deliberately so. But if I explained any further I'd be upsetting certain posters and they'd start complaining and throwing profanities around the place.

You'd never know they might even want to start a third thread.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The old ferry terminal is to become a co-working hub, that can only be a good thing for the town.

Hanafin is An Cathaoirleach, probably not such a good thing but I guess she's better there than in national office

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2022/06/13/dun-laoghaires-former-ferry-terminal-to-be-leased-as-co-worker-space/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's a pity they didn't extend Bodytonic's license for Beatyard

"Cllr Melisa Halpin (People Before Profit) tabling a motion to have a vote on the disposal deferred for ten days, said it was “fundamentally wrong that a whole section of the centre of our harbour is being disposed of to a for-profit company without any public consultation”.

The Quartermaster Innovation project was essentially the same plan the Harbour Company, which had owned the building until 2015, had, she said.

“We need economic plans in the harbour yes, but we shouldn’t be tied to the one economic plan that the Harbour Company came up with seven years ago ... Planning without public consultation is not sustainable planning.”

Cllr Dave Quin, (Social Democrats), describing the plan as “extremely concerning” said: “I fully agree with having an incubator co-working space in the building. However to provide that at such a reduced level of charge for what will be a significant gain and profit to the proposer is to my mind privatisation beyond belief in terms of the excessive profits that will arise”."

They have a point, especially when the lease is a minimum of 13 years. That seems quite long, the rent is significantly below market value, especially combined with not exploring ANY alternative options nor putting it out for public consultation.

Lisney were looking for €215 per square metre per year for the front sections of the terminal in 2016. The overall building is 7,000 square metres. That's a huge state-subsidy to a private company and seems to be based on the idea that it'll a) always be full & b) everyone there is going to spend lots of money in Dun Laoghaire because.....?

If this was 'prime office' it would be renting out at €4,620,000 per year based on average rates in Dublin. Obviously it isn't, but €400,000 and a free first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Anybody heard anything about the baths recently? Surely must be close to being unveiled now. Looking forward to swimming off the new jetty, hopefully it’s not in the depths of the winter before we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Due for a September handover I believe.

Would've been spring but suspension of the contract during Covid and unforeseen engineering challenges set them back.

I agree about the swimming pier, the water looks beautiful back there these days. A far cry from the polluted mess it was when I was a kid.

• Advertisement

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices-press-releases/work-commence-new-public-space-myrtle-square-convent

Another proposed redesign and makeover for Myrtle Sq, before the first design was properly implemented.

So this is where my hard earned LPT is being squandered, on design fees to the buddies!

No, this new contract *IS* the first design being implemented.

What was there up to recently was just temporary installation of benches, trees in planters and a toilet unit.

The Part 8 scheme which was approved by the Council will now be constructed as per the press release.

I do hope they wait for this to bed-in before holding yet another Part 8 for the full pedestrianisation of George's Street Lower to the Hospital. The consequences of these new works must be properly captured.

No, this is the design that should have been put in place in 2021:

It never was fully implemented. Hence the grotty appearance of the space since then.

Do we need a declaration of interest Larbre????

That's not a design, it's a few paragraphs of text about talking to the businesses and some seating and closing the street on an interim basis for Summer 2021, or basically what I described above.

This is a design and what was approved in March 2021 to go to advanced design and tender and what is now going to be built:

Why, what interest do you need to declare?

The text that you mention is also accompanied by a drawing of the proposed changes to the square which were never fully implemented. Hence, and to repeat the place looks like a kip.

The interest that may need to be declared stems from:

a) You are a self proclaimed town planner.

b) You no longer live in the area yet seem to have an intimate knowledge of Council business and motives.

c) You appear to take any criticism of the council as a personal slight.

Just wondering?

If I worked as a Planner for the County Council??

Absolutely not. Dun Laoghaire is my home area, I retain a large number of family and friendship links with the area, some of whom are active in a political party that I'm involved with myself.

I have worked with other Local and Regional Authorities in the past, so I do know how they work, but when it comes to DLR, they have very frequently dropped the ball when in comes to Dun Laoghaire while concentrating on more lucrative development areas like Dundrum and Sandyford. However, credit where it is due, efforts are being made and where I see good things I will mention them and where I see bad things I will call them out.

When you say I seem to take every criticism of the Council as a personal slight, you are quite deliberately ignoring my persistent and vocal criticism of their proposal to close GSL to traffic altogether, which I know you have been following on the other thread. I also have been all over their cackhanded process around the so-called Coastal Mobility Route.

I prefer to deal in facts, so don't mistake my critique of you being wrong for defending the Council unduly, on this or any other matter.

I prefer to deal in facts, so don't mistake my critique of you being wrong

I also prefer to deal in facts, so you might point out exactly which part of my posts re the development of Myrtle Sq. above, that was wrong.

If you wish.

This release by the Council on 24th June 2021, followed on from what you posted above, as a response to submissions made under the *non-statutory* consultation that DLR carried out to take the local temperature, if you will, regarding a street closure and temporary measures in the public realm, to facilitate outdoor dining, physical distancing and increased outdoor activity, in line with the prevailing Covid requirements of the time.

If you read this, it details the overall ambition of what they are trying to achieve, the traffic management, policing, enhanced cleansing, facilities for street entertainment etc. It makes absolutely zero reference to a specific layout for physical measures on Myrtle Square. All there is, is the design montage that you can see at the top of the article, showing some trees in planters, movable picnic benches, a high-traction surface overlay, bike racks and so on.

In a process like this, that is purely indicative and not binding in any specific way.

Its important to note the non-statutory nature of all of this. It commits them to nothing specific, to no measurements or permanence. Its nothing more than a local understanding, made notionally for the temporary benefit of all, during a public health and economic emergency of sorts.

So the way in which you are wrong, specifically, is that your contention that there was a fixed design for Myrtle Square agreed in 2021 and never completed, is incorrect. There was never any such thing. You are reading between the lines, I suggest and finding something that never was or intended to be.

By comparison, the Part 8 Planning, *is* a statutory process and a largely fixed design, which the Council are required to build and enable as approved.

I say "largely", because there is minor flexibility to amend in during contract, for reasons of underforeseen ground conditions, proximity of services causing a conflict in a particular spot etc.

Hope thats clear enough.

Larbs in all fairness that is the greatest load of a horsesh1te response to a simple question that I have ever had the misfortune to partially read.

Smacks of pure deflection, council speak and I'm thinking that there is too much protest going on here (in the Shakespearean sense).

You asked boss man, it's not my problem if the answer goes over your head.

In short, you're mistaken, the Council weren't committed to anything specific on site in Myrtle Square in 2021. End of.

If you disagree, try telling them that they were and see how far you get.

Next topic.

• Advertisement

You're one of the council cheerleaders and buddies, aren't you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Larvre knows everyone of influence and knows the outcome of every planning decision. Didn't you get that memo?

Must have missed that memo. Seems to know everyone in the Dept of Defence as well. A busy little bee is our Larbs!

Now you're getting it. You should show a bit more respect honestly.

Larbs, credit where credit is due, I'm in awe of some of you utterances. Case in point from above:

When you say I seem to take every criticism of the Council as a personal slight, you are quite deliberately ignoring my persistent and vocal criticism of their proposal to close GSL to traffic altogether, which I know you have been following on the other thread. I also have been all over their cackhanded process around the so-called Coastal Mobility Route.

Everybody who has been posting here for a while know that your absolute and undying love for all things council and council members is only surpassed by your hatred of all things cycling. Ffs I have a Jack Russel Terrier here that doesn't hate bikes as much as you do. But in terms of twisting such issues to suit your argument:

Larbs you the man!! Respect!! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There has been some bad news from ABP today regarding the construction of new housing units in both Killiney and on the Daughters of Charity site in Temple Hill in Blackrock.

ABP have conceded their legal challenge to oppose building these units during a legal hearing today.

As a result of this move being carried out by ABP today. The construction of these new properties will now no longer be fast tracked under the strategic housing development laws.

New planning permission applications will now have to be sought to build these housing developments in Killiney and Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Where abouts in killiney ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Killiney apartments and houses that are not being built as a result of this judicial review relate to Watson Drive in Killiney.

Both developments in Killiney and Blackrock are now not proceeding as a result of fire safety concerns which relates to the criminal charges of impropriety against Paul and Stefan Hyde.

There are more details here as to how this case have been assessed under the judicial review into these developments and at ABP.

Its not bad news, its an appropriate response to the stink coming from AnBP recently, and why.

These projects will go through the process again, this time with the correct diligence. And I'm sure will be delivered, albeit later.

The most important thing is the overhaul of the planning authority and the appeal process of last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its a bit of a lose-lose. AnBP were clearly corrupt and doing things incorrectly, so theres no real way to avoid reviewing the approvals. But at the same time its a disaster for the property market to have 1400+ new housing units in the area delayed indefinitely.

The objections to the Blackrock one in particular are insane. How anyone could object to apartments being built in that location is beyond me.

Advertisement